Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass defense / pass rush thread (merge)

cmgww

That soft zone coverage over the past five games has been a consistently bad joke with no punchline.  It's exasperating to watch opposing receivers run wide open down the field and catch the ball unchallenged.  I recall several plays where there were NO Colts defenders within camera view around the Texans receiver at the moment he caught the ball.

With the exception of the hit on Hoyer that caused the interception at the end of the game, the lack of any Colts pass rush allowed both Texans QBs to sit in the pocket and take their sweet time going through their progressions.  Any bad QB on any bad team can look like a Hall-of-Famer when given that much time with no duress.  Imagine what a good QB like Peyton, or Brees, or Brady can do against the Colts' soft zone.

The Hail Mary play with one second left before halftime was inexcusable.  The Colts 'rushed' one DL against five blockers until two LBs joined in way late.  Hoyer just dropped back and stood there for four seconds, waiting patiently for his receivers to reach the end zone before he launched the ball.  What kind of defense is that?  It didn't stop anything.

The Hail mary aside - what do you want Manusky to do?  Davis, Toler, and Butler are all hurt or have been hurt.  Mathis is not the Mathis of 2-yrs ago.  Newsome is lost out there.  Manusky either plays a soft zone or he gives up big plays over the top really quickly.  He has to play the bend but don't break defense.  Its about the personnel.

Davis hasn't been playing well all season either.

He hasn't been as lockdown as last year but he's played good. He's basically like Sherman who had that incredible season in 2013 but wasn't as good in 2014.

It's mostly been holding calls though. He's still blanked most of his assignments.

Even with everybody healthy I still don't think we'll totally stop playing the zone defense.   I just don't think you can play exclusive man to man defense against what the Pats do.   You have to have a good mix of both coverages.

I don't think that's possible this year. We just don't have the talent there. Can't blame Mathis, he's doing about as much as you can expect being 30+ and coming off an Achilles tear. Cole is mediocre, Newsome is ineffective and Walden is primarily an edge setter.

Might have to wait until 2016

I just hope that they don't go after some bottom of the barrel guy hoping they are finding some diamond in the rough.

Because you know that's exactly what Grigson does half the time.  

Toler got worked by Hopkins. I feel like the coaches didn't want Vontae on Hopkins because he wasn't 100. But that was just a bad game for Toler. He was also one of the DBs who had his back turned during the Hail Mary TD to end the half.

Hopkins has been "working" the entire league he's faced so far this year.  Imagine if he had a good QB?  He's turned into a top 5-7 receiver this season.  

Manusky is not imaginative whatsoever. When Belichick plays a team, the first thing he takes out is the players that can hurt you the most.

Texans went in with 2 players that could hurt you - Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins, and we made no effort whatsoever to force others to hurt us, and almost let those two primarily hurt us, especially after having 4 games of footage of Hopkins at least.

Greg Toler looked like absolutely trash. He made DeAndre Hopkins look like Julio Jones last night. I have NO IDEA why the Colts continued to use Toler instead of Davis on Hopkins..

I mean, Deandre is probably a top 5 WR this year.

The cushion we were giving their receivers was sickening. Whatever happened to the strategy we used against Denver last year? Get right in the receivers face and get physical from the line of scrimmage...

This.. We'd have guys lined up BEHIND the first down marker on downs with 10 yards to go. No wonder they could cut inside for huge gains across the middle.

Greg Toler looked like absolutely trash. He made DeAndre Hopkins look like Julio Jones last night. I have NO IDEA why the Colts continued to use Toler instead of Davis on Hopkins..

Maybe Davis wasn't 100%?  That'd be my guess.  Could have tried Butler on him?  I think Butler played anyways but I could be wrong.

Maybe Davis wasn't 100%?  That'd be my guess.  Could have tried Butler on him?  I think Butler played anyways but I could be wrong.

That would be my guess. Coming off injury and not being 100% healthy very well could explain why Davis hasn't look himself. I just hope playing didn't set him back some.

I wonder if part of it had to do with the fact that there is little to no pass rush on nearly every down. Even on the last play where Walden hit Hoyer on the INT, Hoyer was already sitting in the pocket for 3+ seconds. Colts rely too much on their secondary too play lights out every game to have a chance.

I will say this though, Toler looked awful.

We've gotta come up with some kind of answer quickly, we're heading into a pretty brutal stretch for this kind of play.

Agree...they have had a hard time stopping last night and the game before. Just wait to a REAL QB comes out on the field against them. Scary!

They played soft zone and off-man which is not Davis and Toler's strong suits. They are press corners and they need to be aggressive and press WRs. Like some have alluded to Davis may not have been 100% last night and they thought that more zone coverage might help Davis out.

First let me give kudos for the Colts run defense. It looks better than it has in a long time. With that being said, the lack of pass rush continues to be probably the biggest problem that isn't getting solved. I keep seeing it game after game. Any QB will pick you apart with that kind of time to throw. How do the Colts solve this problem? Do we hope Mathis keeps improving and rounds into form? Stunts? Blitzes? As good as our D line has been against the run, that's as bad as they have been in pressuring the QB.

Totally over-looked the other thread about pass D.....my bad!

First let me give kudos for the Colts run defense. It looks better than it has in a long time. With that being said, the lack of pass rush continues to be probably the biggest problem that isn't getting solved. I keep seeing it game after game. Any QB will pick you apart with that kind of time to throw. How do the Colts solve this problem? Do we hope Mathis keeps improving and rounds into form? Stunts? Blitzes? As good as our D line has been against the run, that's as bad as they have been in pressuring the QB.

Gonna merge.

The main fix will be to simply get healthy and some practice for those returning from injury. We haven't been able to run our typical press coverage because we lacked the corner depth with Toler out. Yesterdays game had Davis a little hurt with no practice and a little rusty Toler. Get some reps for Toler and a little rest for Davis and we can finally return to the man coverage that carried our D last year. With that we can blitz more but better than that would be mathis continuing his return to close to pre injury levels, he's not there yet. In order to beat NE we will need more from him so we don't have to rely on a blitz. With 9 days till that game I expect to see a lot more of mathis though he still might be on a limited snap count.

I mean, Deandre is probably a top 5 WR this year.

Even if he is a top-5 receiver, I don't understand why we didn't bracket cover him. Teams easily take out T.Y. from our game plan when they bracket cover him. Luckily, the Colts have other receivers to rely on. The Texans have no one else. 

Bracket Hopkins and the Texans passing attack is severely limited. Yet, the Colts let him have a career night.

Manusky is not imaginative whatsoever. When Belichick plays a team, the first thing he takes out is the players that can hurt you the most.

Texans went in with 2 players that could hurt you - Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins, and we made no effort whatsoever to force others to hurt us, and almost let those two primarily hurt us, especially after having 4 games of footage of Hopkins at least.

Really, the games I have watched the pats defense is not shut down. The pats are rated 17th in the league, 2 positions under league average.

Our severe lack of pass rush worries me. We are defending well against the run but against a good passing team our Defense is barely going to leave the field.

Trent Cole? Where art thou? He's been a complete waste of money thus far. We seriously need to look at other options to bring heat on the QB or Brady and others are going to BBQ our Defense on the scoreboard.