Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My OL fix for 2016 draft

1.  Pat Elfein     - he is a plus player in both run and pass, like him much better than Alexander

2.  Kareem Are   - This kid is making noise at FSU, better than recent draft picks from FSU, again, like him better than Alexander.

3.  In all honesty, value wise it is pretty safe to assume that there would be a better defensive player here, but I'm on a roll and I will go for need and pick Jack Allen.  Not a special athlete, but he would be light years better than what we have now, what do all you Sparties think?

4.  Jason Spriggs out of IU,   I've never seen the kid play, but he sounds promising, and we really really need depth at OT behind Castonzo and Mewhort.

I also have my eye on Cody Whitehair as a possible third rounder.

LT  - Castonzo, Spriggs

LG - Are

C  - Allen

RG - Elfein

Rt - Mewhort, Goode

See Grigson, its not so hard.

1.  Pat Elfein     - he is a plus player in both run and pass, like him much better than Alexander

2.  Kareem Are   - This kid is making noise at FSU, better than recent draft picks from FSU, again, like him better than Alexander.

3.  In all honesty, value wise it is pretty safe to assume that there would be a better defensive player here, but I'm on a roll and I will go for need and pick Jack Allen.  Not a special athlete, but he would be light years better than what we have now, what do all you Sparties think?

4.  Jason Spriggs out of IU,   I've never seen the kid play, but he sounds promising, and we really really need depth at OT behind Castonzo and Mewhort.

LT  - Castonzo, Spriggs

LG - Are

C  - Allen

RG - Elfein

Rt - Mewhort, Goode

Post deleted.

LT  - Castonzo, Spriggs

LG - Are

C  - Allen

RG - Elfein

Rt - Mewhort, Goode

I will have to keep watching him throughout the year, but I am also a big fan of Pat Elflein. I am not sure where he will fall during the draft as it is still pretty early, but it is fair to say it will take a minimum of a 2nd round pick to get him.

LT  - Castonzo, Spriggs

LG - Are

C  - Allen

RG - Elfein

Rt - Mewhort, Goode

Ah yes.  The promise of new blood.

Considering the impact of Anderson (3rd round) and Parry (5th Rd) on the DL thru 2 games, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that we could find 3 new starters as rookies next year for the OL, but we all know that isn't how it will work.  If you go back through the last 4 drafts and examine the number of OL players drafted in round 3 and later that made an immediate impact....you'll find a very short list.  It makes the probability very low.  

We might use our 1st two picks on OL if the board falls right, but when you consider needs at S, OLB, ILB, DL, CB and TE (Allen and Fleener out of contract), it becomes unlikely.

At this stage, we only project new starters at LG and RG next year.  One of those probably comes through our current development program (Thornton, Harrison, Myers) or a Free Agent.  The other likely comes through the draft.

Elefein is playing well for Ohio St. I wish he was a bit bigger, but he's quite solid skill wise. I kind of like the 2 Wisconsin O-lineman Tyler Marz (I see him moving to guard at the NFL level) and Dan Voltz who plays center. If we could somehow get Jack Conklin that would be awesome.

Probably should just draft the best offensive lineman on the board in the 1st round. Assuming that's our biggest need. Which I'm sure it will be. But really I'd rather sign a big name FA guard and draft all defense. Both Marshall Yanda and Osemele are FA's. Doubt the Ravens bring both back.

Ah yes.  The promise of new blood.

Considering the impact of Anderson (3rd round) and Parry (5th Rd) on the DL thru 2 games, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that we could find 3 new starters as rookies next year for the OL, but we all know that isn't how it will work.  If you go back through the last 4 drafts and examine the number of OL players drafted in round 3 and later that made an immediate impact....you'll find a very short list.  It makes the probability very low.  

We might use our 1st two picks on OL if the board falls right, but when you consider needs at S, OLB, ILB, DL, CB and TE (Allen and Fleener out of contract), it becomes unlikely.

At this stage, we only project new starters at LG and RG next year.  One of those probably comes through our current development program (Thornton, Harrison, Myers) or a Free Agent.  The other likely comes through the draft.

The OL available the last two drafts have been pretty bad at the top.  Its early, but I agree that we could probably get good value at guard the first two rounds.  Center worries me, it looks like pretty slim pickins.  The FA market looks bad too at center.  It seems they are getting lighter and lighter.  No nastiness at all.  I would also hope we come away with a depth tackle somewhere around 4 or 5.  Someone with the ability to be an emergeny player on the left side.  Reitz is not exactly a plan B.   I'm not saying it is likely we will go OL crazy and have rookies playing everywhere, I'm just having some fun.  If we got Elfein and Are, I'd be pumped.  Then you just need to wave a magic wand and find a good center.

Elefein is playing well for Ohio St. I wish he was a bit bigger, but he's quite solid skill wise. I kind of like the 2 Wisconsin O-lineman Tyler Marz (I see him moving to guard at the NFL level) and Dan Voltz who plays center. If we could somehow get Jack Conklin that would be awesome.

Hey Track Guy,

On Walter, they talked about how Voltz got schooled vs Alabama.  I know its Walter, but what do you think?  Where would you take Voltz, and could he be a factor for us?  Good centers are getting really hard to find.  They are getting lighter in the draft, and are nowhere to be found in free agency. 

I agree that we need a new center. Holmes isn't cutting it. But if he comes out in April, I like Joey Hunt outta TCU.

I found out about him while watching Jordan Phillips. He handled Phillips all day long, with ease. Turns out Hunt is actually a really good center.

This is awesome Defjamz26.  I'll keep my eye on Hunt.  If a truly talented center is available, I'd snap him up by the 2nd round.  They are getting pretty darned rare.

Hey Track Guy,

On Walter, they talked about how Voltz got schooled vs Alabama.  I know its Walter, but what do you think?  Where would you take Voltz, and could he be a factor for us?  Good centers are getting really hard to find.  They are getting lighter in the draft, and are nowhere to be found in free agency. 

Here's what Rob Rang wrote on Voltz's performance against Alabama - I think it's at the very least closer to the truth than Walter's take:

"While the spotlight was bright on Henry, savvy scouts likely paid a lot of attention to Wisconsin's redshirt junior center Dan Voltz, and not just because the two-year returning starter entered the game as NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated underclassmen at the position. With college football lacking preseason games, scouts typically like to give players a few contests before making firm evaluations. That won't necessarily be the case for Voltz, however, as he won't face a stouter front this year than Alabama's, making Wisconsin's opener a must-see for any team in need of a center.

Though Wisconsin ran for just 40 yards (on 21 attempts) in this game, Voltz, individually, fared well against the Tide's massive defensive line, succeeding despite the fact that the guards on either side of him were starting the first games of their respective careers. Showing good initial quickness to snap and step into his blocks, Voltz cleared space up the middle, allowing Wisconsin to maintain the threat of their running game. While not as big or powerful as the Alabama defensive tackles he was generally asked to block (which included 6-foot-3, 315 pound senior Darren Lake and 6-foot-4, 312 pound junior A'Shawn Robinson), Voltz was consistently able to either seal opponents away from the action or at times knock them off the ball, including in short yardage situations. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com"

"Voltz isn't just a run blocker, however. In fact, his most impressive work Saturday night came in pass protection, where he showed impressive awareness and lateral agility sliding to react when Alabama sent extra rushers. Perhaps best of all was Voltz's ability to anchor against Alabama's big defensive tackles, showing proper knee bend, as well as core strength and flexibility. Of course, like Alabama at running back, talented offensive linemen at Wisconsin are nothing new. Voltz, making his 22nd career start Saturday, followed top-55 NFL draft picks Travis Frederick (Dallas) and Peter Konz (Atlanta) in the middle for the Badgers -- each of whom jumped into the NFL with a year of eligibility remaining. Even with the loss Saturday night to the Crimson Tide, Wisconsin's legacy of providing quality blockers to the NFL clearly remains intact. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com"

Alex Mack has an opt-out clause that he can use in 2016. I would rather pick him up than a rookie. 

Pat Elflein could take either OG spot.

Alex Mack is going to want a mahoosive contract if he does opt-out though. I can't really get my head around spending $9-10mil a year on a C, even a really good one like Mack.

Alex Mack is going to want a mahoosive contract if he does opt-out though. I can't really get my head around spending $9-10mil a year on a C, even a really good one like Mack.

idk. he already had his massive contract. it was $42M...$26 M guaranteed, $8 M per year with a 2016 player's opt-out clause. The Colts could sign him to a 4 year $20 M contract and he could put some SB rings on his fingers.

idk. he already had his massive contract. it was $42M...$26 M guaranteed, $8 M per year with a 2016 player's opt-out clause. The Colts could sign him to a 4 year $20 M contract and he could put some SB rings on his fingers.

That would be a $3mil per year pay cut. I don't think we'd get him for less than 8.

I would move Mewhort back to LG since he had such good chemistry with Costanzo on the left side. Then I would draft someone like Jack Conklin to start at RT. Then I would get someone like Dan Voltz from Wisconsin in round 2 or 3 to man the RG position. Totally new OL, so much better!

Cody Whitehair appears to compare favorably to Joel Bitonio. 

Another player to keep an eye on is Nick Martin from Notre Dame. A great guard/center player. If we keep playing like this, keep an eye on Ronnie Stanley and Laremy Tunsil. 

I would also consider swapping TY HIlton for Joel Bitonio. That would free up some cap money as well. 

Probably should just draft the best offensive lineman on the board in the 1st round. Assuming that's our biggest need. Which I'm sure it will be. But really I'd rather sign a big name FA guard and draft all defense. Both Marshall Yanda and Osemele are FA's. Doubt the Ravens bring both back.

I'd do a mix.  We need 2 guards. . . sign a FA for one and draft the other.  

I havn't seen any reviews of how Holmes is playing.  Is he worth keeping around for another year to start or should we look to replace him as well.

But we do need a defense heavy draft. . . We have some solutions on the DL now but we need linebackers and defensive backs.

My other thought was we could potentially sign a CB2 in FA.  Neither guards or CB2's are expensive.   

Im kinda high on Taylor Decker of Ohio State. Move him to LG.

-He looks to be able to lock onto his man well.

-Can get to the 2nd level smoothly BUT can struggle at times to hit his target

-Quick out of his stance.

-He has a heavy hand punch

-Shows an understanding of Stunts and picks them up quickly

-While he is not a LT in the NFL he is a versatile O Lineman that has enough lateral agility that can play LT in a pinch

-Mirrors well

I wouldn't want to spend a 1st round pick on him but I think he goes anywhere from 2nd to as low as 3rd round

I would sit him a year and slide Reitz in to LG (while playing Decker a significant amount of snaps with the first team next to Castonzo in the preseason)

It does seem like a good OG is available in FA every year.  You guys have a great point.  Getting one of those ravens OG and drafting a stud Linebacker in the first round sounds like great idea.  We should be able to get a starting quality guard in the second round.  That would take care of three of our biggest weaknesses. 

Why would he opt out of an $8m/year contract and then sign for $5m/year?

Would you?

Im kinda high on Taylor Decker of Ohio State. Move him to LG.

-He looks to be able to lock onto his man well.

-Can get to the 2nd level smoothly BUT can struggle at times to hit his target

-Quick out of his stance.

-He has a heavy hand punch

-Shows an understanding of Stunts and picks them up quickly

-While he is not a LT in the NFL he is a versatile O Lineman that has enough lateral agility that can play LT in a pinch

-Mirrors well

I wouldn't want to spend a 1st round pick on him but I think he goes anywhere from 2nd to as low as 3rd round

I would sit him a year and slide Reitz in to LG (while playing Decker a significant amount of snaps with the first team next to Castonzo in the preseason)

A guy I was just reading about who I haven't scouted closely is Jason Spriggs form Indiana. I think I've seen him run block a little in some of the Tevin Coleman stuff I watched, but haven't scouted him properly. Have you seen him play at all? I read on rotoworld that he runs a 4.82 40, puts up 33 reps on the bench, and has an eye popping 37.5 inch vertical. I guess last year he only allowed 2 sacks and registered 45 knockdowns. 

A guy I was just reading about who I haven't scouted closely is Jason Spriggs form Indiana. I think I've seen him run block a little in some of the Tevin Coleman stuff I watched, but haven't scouted him properly. Have you seen him play at all? I read on rotoworld that he runs a 4.82 40, puts up 33 reps on the bench, and has an eye popping 37.5 inch vertical. I guess last year he only allowed 2 sacks and registered 45 knockdowns. 

Cant find anything on him yet except this http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2001860/jason-sprigs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJBFwwF0goY

And that....But not nearly enough to give a report on. I have not seen any of his games

Why would he opt out of an $8m/year contract and then sign for $5m/year?

Would you?

He had the clause put in so that he could get out of Cleveland if they didn't start playing a lot better. He will be 30 at the end of this season which means he has 3-4 good years left. He doesn't bust his rear in practice & workouts just for money. He wants to hold the Lombardi just like everyone else. Maybe he wouldn't take $5M/year, but IMHO I think he would rather play his remaining years on a team that has a great chance of winning the SB. That's not gonna be Cleveland any time soon.

If I were an All-Pro and I wanted a SB ring(s) and I was on the Cleveland Browns then YES I would go to a different team to do that. Especially if i already received my payday!

He had the clause put in so that he could get out of Cleveland if they didn't start playing a lot better. He will be 30 at the end of this season which means he has 3-4 good years left. He doesn't bust his rear in practice & workouts just for money. He wants to hold the Lombardi just like everyone else. Maybe he wouldn't take $5M/year, but IMHO I think he would rather play his remaining years on a team that has a great chance of winning the SB. That's not gonna be Cleveland any time soon.

If I were an All-Pro and I wanted a SB ring(s) and I was on the Cleveland Browns then YES I would go to a different team to do that. Especially if i already received my payday!

What player has EVER done this?

I know we as fans like to think that players love winning and would make huge sacrifices to play for a good team, and whatnot. But it almost never happens. Especially in a sport like football, where your next season is not guaranteed. Please show me where any player has opted out of his top of market contract to go to a 'better' team for less money. Especially for basically half. The next time it happens will be the first.

For the majority of players, other considerations are similarly irrelevant. Playing closer to home, playing for a favored coach, playing with friends, good weather, etc. None of that matters as much as maximizing their earning potential in the short period of time that they have to do so. Mario Williams left an upstart Texans team that had just made the playoffs for the first time in franchise history to go play for the Bills, who hadn't made the playoffs in 12 years, who didn't have a good roster, who play in the worst weather in the league, who had a bad coach, a team he had no ties to... and he did so because they offered him the most money, bottom line.

Mack negotiated an opt-out because had the leverage to do so, and because it allows him a chance at free agency again before he's too much past 30. If he opts out, he will be looking for another big pay day; that's the whole point of the opt-out, just like Revis has done. And like Revis, he'll probably get another big pay day. He's not going to opt out unless he believes he can get more money (especially bonus/guaranteed money) by doing so. He's not going to opt out so that he can go play for a better team for significantly less money.

Any team that wants Mack needs to be ready to pay the $9-10m/year that he's going to want. This 'he'll come here for a chance to win rings' idea is a pipe dream.

I wish there was a way we could trade for Long? I am not sure what Chicago would want though? How many Draft picks, etc.. We could even part ways with 1 of our TE's if need be to get him. Allen and Fleener both are Good. As long as we have 1 of them we are still solid at that position considering Doyle has decent game too.

1.Sheldon Day-DT Notre Dame....Would love Leonard Floyd but I think he will be well gone by the time we pick

2.Taylor Decker-OT Ohio State

3.Eric Striker-OLB Oklahoma

4.Corey Coleman-WR Baylor

5.Wayne Lyons-CB Michigan

So far

I like what you have going We obviously aren't drafting O Line with every pick. If they keep Mewhort at RT we may not take one until the end of day 2.

If Holmes can stay healthy and continue to improve Mewhort and Castonzo as the bookends.

This is where I'm going to lose most but I think Thorton's going to turn those tears into blood and finally get it together. This is Holmes first year as the starter I'm not ready to say he can't do the job after 3 games.

I am hoping the 2016 draft will be D heavy again.

I would love to have Day but my wish is somehow we land Jaylon Smith. We need a playmaker at LB.This kid is all over the field. 6'3 240 speed strength he is a game changer. Man I would love to see him wearing a horseshoe but it my be a fantasy that he's on the board at the end of the 1st.

I wish there was a way we could trade for Long? I am not sure what Chicago would want though? How many Draft picks, etc.. We could even part ways with 1 of our TE's if need be to get him. Allen and Fleener both are Good. As long as we have 1 of them we are still solid at that position considering Doyle has decent game too.

It would have to be done now. Our TEs are on expiring contracts so the only way a trade could happen would be if the Bears ship Bennett away now and were looking for a young TE like Allen.

But I don't see a trade like that happening. Long is too good of a player. Although I wonder if they would be interested in Jonathan Newsome or Werner for one of their players.

I agree that we need a new center. Holmes isn't cutting it. But if he comes out in April, I like Joey Hunt outta TCU.

I found out about him while watching Jordan Phillips. He handled Phillips all day long, with ease. Turns out Hunt is actually a really good center.

Hunt would be a great addition. I am really high on Hunt as well and believe he would help solidify the middle of our line.

Cody Whitehair appears to compare favorably to Joel Bitonio. 

Another player to keep an eye on is Nick Martin from Notre Dame. A great guard/center player. If we keep playing like this, keep an eye on Ronnie Stanley and Laremy Tunsil. 

I would also consider swapping TY HIlton for Joel Bitonio. That would free up some cap money as well. 

Nick Martin is an actual possibility I feel, as Grigson would typically be shy about drafting an interior OL early. But Martin brings position versatility in that he can play guard or center.