Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Charile Johnson signed by Vikings ((merged))

John Dee

Let's not overreact...in all reality he is not a very good pass or run blocker. CJ is a versatile back-up who was unfortunately starting for us. This is not really a major loss, especially b/c he was asking for a bunch of money. The young guys will have to step up, but isn't that why we drafted them?

How does losing a tackle impact what happens with the guards?

I think he's under the impression that CJ was going to move to guard with Castonzo moving to LT.

It's not likely that Castonzo will start right now anyway, especially with his asking for more guaranteed money right now. A short camp makes it even more unlikely.

The question becomes "Who will start at LT if not Castonzo?". My money is on Linkenbach, with Toudouze being a possible longshot.

I think he's under the impression that CJ was going to move to guard with Castonzo moving to LT.

It's not likely that Castonzo will start right now anyway, especially with his asking for more guaranteed money right now. A short camp makes it even more unlikely.

The question becomes "Who will start at LT if not Castonzo?". My money is on Linkenbach, with Toudouze being a possible longshot.

Agree--Link will most likely start at the beginning of the season at LT since I just don't see how Castonzo will be ready considering the lockout and PM missing camp. However, I would think that Castonzo will be starting no later than after the bye week.

Let's not overreact...in all reality he is not a very good pass or run blocker. CJ is a versatile back-up who was unfortunately starting for us. This is not really a major loss, especially b/c he was asking for a bunch of money. The young guys will have to step up, but isn't that why we drafted them?

yeah, cause depending on rookies always works out. meanwhile peyton isn't getting any younger....

This sucks, because CJ can play anywhere on the line other than center & is good at it. To the guy that said this isn't a lose do you actually watch the Colts? hum. I not going to die over this, but hard to understand how we keep Diem & let Charlie walk? Hum I figured it out MONEY!!!!!!!!!! Still if we want to be the best team we can be having CJ out there somewhere on the line I believe was important. We have even more of a need to get the 2 OL rookies in camp & let the OL battles begin. Charlie deserved a better fate & the money, but you don't always get what you deserve. I will root for him in Minn. Thanks for all the hard work!!!!!!!

I don't know how this is not concerning to everyone. Right now we do not have a LT that is capable of holding the fort down. I do expect Costanzo to cave in eventually and sign his contract, but as of now he is not on the field and even when he is, he's still a rookie. Does anybody really trust Link or Toudouze to protect Mannings blindside? Because I sure as heck don't.

Here we go again. Another season, another slopped together Offensive Line. Well, Lets just hope the can drop back quick enough to save Peyton at least. I wouldnt expect any big rushing numbers this year, like recently. I guess thats why we are loading up on running backs. We are going to need them all before its all over. Sad. Real Sad.

Blog: Vikings sign free agent OT Charlie Johnson

Vikings Sign OT Charlie Johnson

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 1, 2011 – 10:45 am

Even on the first day of practice at 2011 Verizon Vikings Training Camp, head coach Leslie Frazier and VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman continue to mold the roster. The Vikings on Monday signed free agent OT Charlie Johnson, who was most recently with the Indianapolis Colts.

Johnson, a product of Oklahoma State, has played in 74 career games with 54 starts, yet he’s just 27 years old. He measures in at 6-4, 305 pounds, giving him the size up front to battle in the run game but also giving him the mobility to handle outside speed rushers in pass protection. And you don’t hang around the Colts for six seasons if you’re not productive and reliable.

Johnson played in 10 playoff games with five starts in Indianapolis, including appearances in two Super Bowls and one Super Bowl start. The Colts won 10+ games every year Johnson played there and Johnson was Manning’s blindside protector for a pair of MVP seasons in 2008 and 2009.

http://t.co/udEFnHg

My link

I don't know how this is not concerning to everyone. Right now we do not have a LT that is capable of holding the fort down. I do expect Costanzo to cave in eventually and sign his contract, but as of now he is not on the field and even when he is, he's still a rookie. Does anybody really trust Link or Toudouze to protect Mannings blindside? Because I sure as heck don't.

This is what I have been posting about with Light earlier, I know he is signed by Patriots now. This is the OTs we are talking about. Not a guard. This is the difference between Peyton surviving a season, or have to play Painter the rest of the season. Think about it.

I thought he was a must sign. He's not a great player, but he's solid. He can play just about anywhere on the line. He would have started this year without question so it's a hit to the line, no way around it. He was also insurance at LT considering Castonzo isn't even in camp yet and nobody knows how he is going to perform. I don't see how the line is improved at all from last year. Not sure who is out there in free agency or what they would cost, but if there is someone out there who would be cheaper then what Johnson apparently wanted, they need to give it a serious look. You just cant go into a season with "hope" and "potential" at LT protecting Peyton Manning just coming back from injury. Thats a recipe for disaster.

This loses a versatile man if any injuries as well as a seasoned Veteran, I'd only call Saturday that

They better sign Castonzo fast & get him ready, give him that 4th year, # 22 is close enough to 19 , 1 through 19 all got quaranteed 4th years & thats the holdup, he wants it we arent giving it

I thought he was a must sign. He's not a great player, but he's solid. He can play just about anywhere on the line. He would have started this year without question so it's a hit to the line, no way around it. He was also insurance at LT considering Castonzo isn't even in camp yet and nobody knows how he is going to perform. I don't see how the line is improved at all from last year. Not sure who is out there in free agency or what they would cost, but if there is someone out there who would be cheaper then what Johnson apparently wanted, they need to give it a serious look. You just cant go into a season with "hope" and "potential" at LT protecting Peyton Manning just coming back from injury. Thats a recipe for disaster.

agree

The Colts take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. We finally draft 2 good OL's to address OL problems, but then release one of our best/most versatile O-linemen. We are not going after any big name FA's because we want to make sure "we sign our own guys", but let what should have been one of our top FA priorities walk. This off-season has been one big cluster*$?%.

I agree that was his impression but that was message board stuff. I had not heard anyone with credibility suggest that was the case.