Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe #18 isn't done.

RockThatBlue

You must have missed how I did not address the last part of your post because it was absurd and posted to start fights on this thread because of your bitterness. Manning has been throwing now for what 3+ seasons with half an arm and will still beat Favre's record in 2 seasons less ... imagine if he had not missed a season with the neck and was fully healthy these past 3, he would be at 80,000 right now easily ...

The last part of my post is the only thing you did address. The more you dance around it, the more obvious it is. Now excuse me while I go fight with dgambill, RollerColt and Gramz. It's getting really ugly out there.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's crazy the only two qbs to get to 70,000 yds couldn't be more different. Favre played like a kid out there...enjoying the game...the fun...the excitement...the weather...the booming arm..the oh no oh no...yes plays...then you have Peyton who was kinda the cerebal assassin...the calculated plays...precision over big arm...the dome..serious meticulous planner. The only similarities is the both won one SB and they both ran into juggernaut franchises (NE for Peyton....SF/DAL for Favre). I think they both like Dan Marino carried their teams more than any other players in NFL history. Great fun watching both...but both very very different styles.

Down to the nickname man...The Gunslinger and The Sheriff.

What's crazy to me is listening to people saying Peyton can't throw a football, and some go as far as to say he never really could. 70, 000 yards says otherwise.

He can, but not consistently well on the run.

Blitzing him used to be suicide. This should not be confused with free runners coming in unblocked like Denver's O-line last night. That would get Peyton even in his prime as he was never mobile.

Even with our craptastic post 2006 O-lines in Indy Manning did well with ~1.5 seconds to throw regularly. Our line constantly got beat, horribly, but at least they'd act as a turnstile/make contact to delay rushers for 1.5 seconds instead of letting them make a beeline straight at Manning in even less time than that like Denver has.

Going long he needs time to plant his feet, and that accuracy has gone down considerably, too. Going long while being hurried is a no no for him now.

Anyone who says he never could throw are out of their minds. He was the most accurate passer (and the best QB) in the game for over a decade. I don't know if stats support that, but you just had to watch him play to realize it. Gimped Manning isn't as good as Rodgers or Brady, but he's still one of the top QB's in the league.

The last part of my post is the only thing you did address. The more you dance around it, the more obvious it is. Now excuse me while I go fight with dgambill, RollerColt and Gramz. It's getting really ugly out there.

Huh? :scratch: you wanna fight with me? What did I do?

Blitzing him used to be suicide. This should not to be confused with free runners coming in unblocked which would get him even in his prime. He was never mobile. Even with our craptastic post 2006 O-lines in Indy he was able to manage well with ~1.5 seconds to throw regularly.

Going long he needs time to plant his feet, and that accuracy has gone down considerably, too. Going long while being hurried is a no no for him now.

Anyone who says he never could are out of their minds. He was the most accurate passer in the game for over a decade. I don't know if stats support that, but you just had to watch him play to realize it.

Agree. I've missed very few games in his career.

Yup. CJ Anderson had a good spurt towards the end of last season with a much healthier o line to run behind. Obviously neither of which has lasted into this year.

Anderson cant run for the same reason Peyton has been sacked 7 times..

IO think they need work and this mini-bye and a full bye in week 8 will help them greatly..

With 9 days...that O-line may look a lot better against Detroit...They have some proven talent

Blitzing him used to be suicide. This should not be confused with free runners coming in unblocked like Denver's O-line last night. That would get Peyton even in his prime as he was never mobile.

Even with our craptastic post 2006 O-lines in Indy Manning did well with ~1.5 seconds to throw regularly. Our line constantly got beat, horribly, but at least they'd act as a turnstile/make contact to delay rushers for 1.5 seconds instead of letting them make a beeline straight at Manning in even less time than that like Denver has.

Anyone who says he never could throw are out of their minds. He was the most accurate passer (and the best QB) in the game for over a decade. I don't know if stats support that, but you just had to watch him play to realize it. Gimped Manning isn't as good as Rodgers or Brady, but he's still one of the top QB's in the league.

But Moose...we all have video of Peyton.

He is throwing exactly the way he did in 2012 when he came back. No better, no worse.

His line is leaky and he has a couple of new receivers.

If they can keep him healthy (Oa very big if) , I think he returns to his earlier 'Denver' form, You could see it Thursday night.

he can still do it

But Moose...we all have video of Peyton.

He is throwing exactly the way he did in 2012 when he came back. No better, no worse.

His line is leaky and he has a couple of new receivers.

If they can keep him healthy (Oa very big if) , I think he returns to his earlier 'Denver' form, You could see it Thursday night.

he can still do it

I disagree. Peyton throws a lot more bad passes than he did in 2012. He did manage to put it together last night but his deep ball accuracy is still bad for whatever reason. The Chiefs did drop 2 or 3 picks last night too that were bad passes. I don't think he looks much better than he did at the end of last year but the good news is that he's not worse either and will still be good enough to pull Denver into the playoffs. And with that defense he won't have to put up huge numbers.

It was my understanding that Kubiak wasn't brought in to change Peyton.

He was brought in to "fix" the O-Line and "improve" the running game.

They've got 9 days until Detroit.  I think we'll see a little better O-Line, and a better running game from them (eventually)

It was my understanding that Kubiak wasn't brought in to change Peyton.

He was brought in to "fix" the O-Line and "improve" the running game.

They've got 9 days until Detroit.  I think we'll see a little better O-Line, and a better running game from them (eventually)

Elway said this off-season that he spoke to Peyton about being a different type of QB in his twilight years the way Elway was when he won in his final two seasons. He wanted to shift the focus of the offense off of Peyton and on to the run game more. So this is why Kubiak was brought in - to help with this transition. So yes, they were trying to change Peyton from the Indy offense in which he controls the offense to a more balanced offense. But there are two issues with this IMO. First, Denver does not have the personnel to be the team that Elway wants them to be. The Oline is not nearly good enough and neither are the RBs. And then you have Manning who is not a mobile QB and excels in the Indy offense and you have a recipe for what happened the first 6 quarters of this season. This is why I am interested to see how Kubiak has Manning play vs Detroit. Will he have him come back out in his offense again or will he allow Manning to run his shotgun/spread? I am not sure there is a good answer.

I was emailing with a friend yesterday and said what the Pats did last year for Brady when his Oline was struggling was have him take quick drops and get the ball out quickly. Of course the Pats had the personnel for that with Edelman and Vereen and Gronk who can get open quick. The only target Manning has for that is Sanders. So, I think for now it is probably best to just let him run his Indy offense and then see how things progress. I think they are between a rock and a hard place.

Just because you over throw someone doesn't mean you "have a deep ball." I can go out in the back yard and throw a deep pass to one of my family members and completely over throw them.

I think he can still throw it 40 yards, but if he can't control a pass past 20 yards then he doesn't have a deep ball. Remember the commercials "Laser rocket arm"? That's long gone now, he's older, he's had the neck surgeries. I'm not downing him, I'm just stating the facts, he can't let the ball fly like he used to. Its quite obvious, look at how some of the balls just float. There is something up, the last drive when he tied the game he threw some solid passes... But a majority of the game he looked like a JV quarterback on an NFL field. His mind is there, his body isn't, simple and plain.

Most people's initial knock was that he lost arm strength to be able to even throw it deep. I see it as a difference having a deep ball and having accuracy. He can still throw it deep but doesn't have the accuracy.

Most people's initial knock was that he lost arm strength to be able to even throw it deep. I see it as a difference having a deep ball and having accuracy. He can still throw it deep but doesn't have the accuracy.

He has lost both, deep ball accuracy and arm strength, I can post examples of his arm deteriorating 

Here is a link to a weak pass on a 5 yard flat route. Where if he drove the ball in there quicker, maybe the receiver could get 7 more yards YAC  (note you may need a twitter log in to watch)  

Man. Aside from the pick, Peyton Manning is out here throwing lazy pop ups pic.twitter.com/kRDxNVjaiA

— Bottlegate (@Bottlegate)

September 18, 2015

I had an info-graphic I found from the Cheifs game but I can't find it at the moment, it showed that his accuracy was good inside the numbers within like 10 yards, but beyond 10 yards or outside of the number passes, it went down way too much. I mean I'm sure it should go down since it is more difficult passes, but just because he was our QB for so long doesn't mean you have to get all emotional or deny the fact that his skills have gone down some. He just isn't a top 5 qb anymore. 

Is anybody watching this boring Saints game? I won't pretend that Peyton's balls haven't slowed down but wait til you see Brees'. He couldn't complete a deep slant against a prevent if Randy Moss and Jerry Rice were the 2 outside WRs.

What has happened with Brees...???   He hasn't looked good for a while.

I have the Bears/Cards game here in Indy. Bears are pretty bad. No Defense at all. Cutler is out too with a hand injury. 35-20 Cards as of now. I follow all the games on ESPN's website though. They have excellent play by play for each game. Mariota looks ordinary today for the Titans and they are down 21-0 which is good for us - what a difference a week makes. Texans also losing 10-3 in the 3rd Qtr.

What has happened with Brees...??? He hasn't looked good for a while.

They just resorted to the flea flicker...incomplete. He's always been overrated. People forget that he played several years in the previous era and only made it through 1 season without getting hurt or benched. Fast forward to now and they have Bountygate to thank for everything, including the laurels he's continuing to rest on.

I think everyone is overlooking the fact Peyton didn't have his normal pre-season. His timing and repetition are off, and so is the offenses.

Remember how craptastic he started out in 2008 after missing that pre-season?

His arm isn't like he is 27 anymore, but he still has it. Let the offense get there timing down.

One announcer said today during the Bills/Pats game "the rule of thumb is play until you can't anymore then play one more year". Classic and so true. How many are walking in pain because of that no good, dirty voice saying "quit, quit now." If I had todo it over again I would not change a thing!!

One announcer said today during the Bills/Pats game "the rule of thumb is play until you can't anymore then play one more year". Classic and so true. How many are walking in pain because of that no good, dirty voice saying "quit, quit now." If I had todo it over again I would not change a thing!!

I don't think you posted this enough times

This clearly needs posted one more time.

I love Peyton.... But let's be real. If it wasn't for Denver's D, the broncos could very well be 0-2 as well.

Denver D is huge, no doubt. They did not march down 80 yards to tie the game.

Offense, defense and special teams played a part to win. But yes, offense has to significantly improve to win going forward.