Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Devon Still workouts with Colts

TKnight24

Very true, there is always the possibility that they will be worse.  But I just figure each of those guys had plenty of time to make their value known.  They just never did.  Could be a coaching problem, or just a lack of ability.  I think we wanted Hughes to be lesser Ngata more or less, but it never happened.  Chapman was supposed to be our Wilfork, but that didn't happen either.  I can't fault the management for trying them as each had traits that were similar to those two comparisons, and I won't fault them for moving on and trying someone else.  I just figure if we have to adjust our scheme and get guys with better motors or whatever the case is, do it.  We can't hang on hoping that the 3rd/4th year is the time it finally clicks for guys who should have solidified starting spots by now.

One thing I do agree with is....if they knew NT was that big of an issue...Wilfork should have been here.  I hope Still and McGill...Winn come in and make us better.

Our former D-Line of Redding, RJF, Chapman, Hughes, were so ridiculously overhyped it's not even funny. It pretty much felt like playing PS players on the entire line. Winn, McGill, and possibly Still are all upgrades.

Sometimes we get into the notion that because "a person has a job, he's more employable."

You are plumb out of your mind....Redding was the heart and soul of the Colts defense.  He made teammates better player....PS????  Two of the 3 above are not in the least upgrades.

Redding was good for veteran leadership...which is a PC term for "old and can't play".

He had occasional pass rush, but was very inconsistent if not a complete liability in the run game. Think Darnell Dockett; far past prime, a liability to most teams as a starter.

Not sure yet of our front line.  Love the rookies...not the waver wire guys.  Redding was a good player for the Colts...taught the players the 3/4 Ravens style...got them up to speed.

Why not Bring Dockett in for a tryout. i think he still has something in the tank and could be a bright spot on the defensive line with rotation. 

Another team thought that, gave him a fair amount of money, and then released him and decided it was better to pay 2 million not to have him on their roster.  That to me suggests that what he had is gone.  I'd honestly prefer they move forward with each of the guys they have, and perhaps bring in a 20-27 year old guy if he fits that could potentially carve a spot on this team for the next 3-5 years.  Dockett at best would be a 1 to 2 year solution.  And I honestly think that is what they are trying to do potentially with Still and some of these other guys.

They did activate Josh McNary off the practice squad. Plus, resigned Tipton and signed Robert Myers G to the practice squad.

Good  God... Tipton over Ahmad Bradshaw? Really? Our coaching staff/GM never fail to disappoint.  

Edit: Wait.. I misunderstood your post, he was only put on the practice squad.   I still wish they had signed Bradshaw rather than McNary.... 

Another team thought that, gave him a fair amount of money, and then released him and decided it was better to pay 2 million not to have him on their roster.  That to me suggests that what he had is gone.  I'd honestly prefer they move forward with each of the guys they have, and perhaps bring in a 20-27 year old guy if he fits that could potentially carve a spot on this team for the next 3-5 years.  Dockett at best would be a 1 to 2 year solution.  And I honestly think that is what they are trying to do potentially with Still and some of these other guys.

Not every team proves to be the best situation for every player. Who knows he could come to Indy and end up being a Monster impact player. There are ample players who have moved on to other teams and revitalized their careers. 

You know, it did occur to me that it is never easy being the parent of a chronically sick child, let alone a child fighting death. It is possible that Devon's focus was not completely on the field and it takes him time to reconcile to everything going on in life to realize his full potential.

Maybe he may be able to relate to Pagano after what he went through and it helps him settle in to realize his potential. It is a possibility that I am not willing to ignore, that is all I can say. He is human after all.

I will however leave this decision to the coaches. If they think he can help the football team, I am on board.

You know, it did occur to me that it is never easy being the parent of a chronically sick child, let alone a child fighting death. It is possible that Devon's focus was not completely on the field and it takes him time to reconcile to everything going on in life to realize his full potential.

Maybe he may be able to relate to Pagano after what he went through and it helps him settle in to realize his potential. It is a possibility that I am not willing to ignore, that is all I can say. He is human after all.

I will however leave this decision to the coaches. If they think he can help the football team, I am on board.

I agree. One roster spot on the practice squad is not worth anyone getting bent about. Just that some just look for reasons to put a negative twist on some things that really is not that big of a deal. I hope he does well and earns a spot beyond the practice squad. If not at least he is earning a living for his family in the mean time.

That's a good point Chad72.  I know when I had a close family member in the hospital fighting death, my work suffered.  No matter how hard I tried to not let it.

I think the coaching issue is mostly in the game plan and adjusting in game rather than teaching players. I mean look at Vontae. He was a talented player with off field issues but Chuck has been able to coach him into a all pro at CB.

True but most of that has to do with Vontae getting away from the Miami night life and deciding to focus on football.

Not every team proves to be the best situation for every player. Who knows he could come to Indy and end up being a Monster impact player. There are ample players who have moved on to other teams and revitalized their careers. 

A team is paying him 2 MILLION dollars to NOT be on their team.  If that isn't a statement, I don't know what is.  Monster impact player is not something he will be.

A team is paying him 2 MILLION dollars to NOT be on their team.  If that isn't a statement, I don't know what is.  Monster impact player is not something he will be.

Because you can predict the future and know exactly what a player can do in a new environment and system? gotcha football Guru!

They're not gonna find any "monster impact" players right now on the d-line. Free agency and the draft concluded awhile ago. But Parry/Anderson/Langford seem to be legit starters to me, and they're only going to improve as the season progresses. We just need someone to step in and not be a complete liability if someone were to go down with an injury. Devon Still could provide that, but considering we haven't heard anything new about this, I'm guessing the Colts are gonna pass on signing him.

Because you can predict the future and know exactly what a player can do in a new environment and system? gotcha football Guru!

Do I really have to repeat this?  The San Franciso 49ers have decided it best to pay Darnell Dockett 2 million dollars to not be on their team after signing him a mere few months ago.  The literally gave him 2 million to participate in their off-season program, and received nothing in return for that investment.

Very seldom do GMs make that sort of decision as it is an IMMEDIATE knock on their ability and the owner loses money on the deal.  To get nothing out of a 2 million dollar investment suggests that he simply cannot contribute at a high level.

I can predict the future?  No.  I just look at what others have done and analyze that.  In this particular situation, a GM took a 2 million dollar bath to move on.  I'm sure the owner he reports to is pleased as punch blowing 2 million and getting nothing in return for it.

They're not gonna find any "monster impact" players right now on the d-line. Free agency and the draft concluded awhile ago. But Parry/Anderson/Langford seem to be legit starters to me, and they're only going to improve as the season progresses. We just need someone to step in and not be a complete liability if someone were to go down with an injury. Devon Still could provide that, but considering we haven't heard anything new about this, I'm guessing the Colts are gonna pass on signing him.

Agreed, I pulled that term from a previous post I was responding to.

I find it much more likely that this team is looking for a depth player who has the potential to be here and contribute over a minimum of a 2-3 year period... IE - Not a washed up 34 year old player.

Now that they have not made a decision yet, I think giving more playing time to Billy Winn that they ponied up a draft pick for makes more sense. Let's coach up the horses we have. Our DL showed flashes of very good, more legs in the rotation to keep the starters fresh - Winn could be one of those.