Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why are so many NFL Head Coaches so terrible at time management and situational play calling?

Dustin

The Giants snafu is likely the most high-profile case in the last few years and is just 1 example in what seems to be a trend among NFL HCs: Terrible clock management and situational decision making. 

How can people who eat, drink, and breath football constantly botch such simple concepts that even a lowly pleb like myself understands?

Is it hubris? Why don't HCs hand off the responsibilities to other more capable of handling the duties? 

And that was unlike Coughlin, as was the prevent defense up until the last 2 plays. I know he's not the DC but he's still the coach. By the time they're at this 40, he's supposed to say to the DC "hey enough of that bu||§€! before they score."

It should not have come to this had they ran on 3rd and 4th...almost as bad as that SB call...knew Romo would score when Eli tried to pass...even told my son Dallas would win and I hate the Cowboys more than the Pats  

The Giants snafu is likely the most high-profile case in the last few years and is just 1 example in what seems to be a trend among NFL HCs: Terrible clock management and situational decision making. 

How can people who eat, drink, and breath football constantly botch such simple concepts that even a lowly pleb like myself understands?

Is it hubris? Why don't HCs hand off the responsibilities to other more capable of handling the duties? 

I have wonder this same thing myself...

I blame Eli the most. He's a multi-million dollar "elite" QB who decides:

Eli.jpg

"Gonna throw it out of bounds! That will show 'em! No wai am I getting my jersey dirty with grass!"

Or perhaps the coaching staff told Eli to throw it out of bounds, in which case, Eli should have overruled them, because that's what "elite" QB's do is manage football games. Peyton does it all the time. Is Eli suggesting he lacks that authority? Is he a "yes man"? We don't give those QB's big contracts. We give them clipboards.

I don't think Coughlin would give Eli the authority to change the play to drastically. Coughlin is very much a BB type of coach you do what he says or you are out.

That said most NFL coaches are pompous, few are big whiners (looking at you Harbaugh). That's why when you get a good one like Coughlin you keep him.

I've seen that it was Eli's call not to score a TD, that is to say Eli told Jennings not to score.  If that's the case, it's not on Coughlin.  However, I do agree with you that it's mind-boggling how so many NFL head coaches can't manage timeouts and are oblivious about situational football.  With that said, I've done some coaching (certainly nothing near the level of the NFL), but it should be noted that there are a thousand different things going on that a coach must be aware of.  Maybe a guy is hurt.  Maybe a guy is struggling and needs a sub, but we don't have good subs.  Maybe the coaches are arguing about something and the head coach needs to step in.  Maybe a player is asking you something.  You're trying to keep track of the game.  Do you need to challenge the last play?  Do you need to talk to the refs about something?  There's a lot going on as a head coach

Yeah the coaches have to deal with so many other things that don't seem obvious to a casual fan. There is a huge difference between watching a game on your couch and trying to make game altering decisions in real time. Granted it does seem like coaches make obvious mistakes, but that's going to happen from time to time. Plus we live in a world where every bad decision is dissected over and over again for at least the next six days. Everyone makes mistakes in the work place, NFL coaches are no different. Coaches have rational for the decisions that they make, but most fans aren't educated enough about sports and coaching to fully grasp their thinking.

Dustin=Its not easy no matter who is doing the play calling.

We may undrestand what needs to be done after the fact...but the head coach doesn't play.

You need the QB to be on top of it..

Its got to be the field general

It comes out on Mike and Mike today.  It's confusion from a confusing rule.  Supposedly, that defensive foul stops the clock until the ready signal is given during a game.  Then the clock runs again. But within the last 5 minutes of the game (but greater than 40 seconds left in game) the clock stops until the snap of the ball.  This is to preserve the number pf plays in some of the 'most exciting times of the game', and Eli thought a timeout was taken because the clock did not restart when the ball was placed and ready. 

Thinking the Cowboys only had 1 timeout, he asked him to not score so they could really run the clock down.  But the Cowboys had 2 timeouts,  because of how a D penalty is handled under 5 minutes. Eli was thinking a T.O. was taken by Cowboys, but the rules allows the clock to remain stopped until the next snap. Coughlin and sidelines had no knowledge what was transpiring.  Thus knowing intricacies of the rules is important, even for players at times.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timingfinal

I don't read much into the NY Giants mishap/ failing to take a QB sack or leaving too much time on the clock for Romo to score & win the game in. Remember: It's regular season for everybody-Coaches, QBs, refs etc. 

If Pagano is dismissed after this season is over & Tom Coughlin is let go too, I hope Irsay takes a serious look at Coughlin. Just saying. 

Yeah the coaches have to deal with so many other things that don't seem obvious to a casual fan. There is a huge difference between watching a game on your couch and trying to make game altering decisions in real time. Granted it does seem like coaches make obvious mistakes, but that's going to happen from time to time. Plus we live in a world where every bad decision is dissected over and over again for at least the next six days. Everyone makes mistakes in the work place, NFL coaches are no different. Coaches have rational for the decisions that they make, but most fans aren't educated enough about sports and coaching to fully grasp their thinking.

Educated enough to know that, for example, you hand the ball off to Marshawn frickin' Lynch in the Super Bowl.

Mistakes do happen, yes, but some of these blunders are just plain stupid and should not happen at this level. You don't need to have been a coach/involved in the sport to recognize poor decision making.

Educated enough to know that, for example, you hand the ball off to Marshawn frickin' Lynch in the Super Bowl.

Mistakes do happen, yes, but some of these blunders are just plain stupid and should not happen at this level. You don't need to have been a coach/involved in the sport to recognize poor decision making.

See, that's the thing. People talk about how STUPID Bevell was for that call. There isn't nearly enough mention of how great the play Malcolm Butler made was. His timing was perfect on every aspect. He read the play and made a great break. Watching the play you can see how close it was to an incompletion. I agree that coaches make some mistakes, but the all knowing media/critics usually blow it WAY out of proportion.

I heard the same thing. I bet they know now.

Even so, if they thought only one TO left..don't score?? That puts you up by 10.

Not the first time Eli asked someone to 'not score'.  Remember the Super Bowl?

I'd rather be up ten, but sometimes teams don't want to give up the ball, fearing a quick score and flukey on side kick recovery giving a chance to take the game.

How did that strategy work out for them needing 1 yard against the Rams?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/needing-a-yard--seattle-hands-off-to-lynch---and-he-s-stuffed-211500716.html

You never know...

https://twitter.com/Chad_pole/status/643165347655192576

You mean since all the way back to the end of the Super Bowl -- right?

As for your question,  everything looks easy from the comfort of your living room watching things on your Big Screen.

But when you're in the fishbowl....   when you're on the sidelines....   and the bullets are flying and people are talking in your headset and there are coaches and players on the sidelines who are talking/yelling all around you -- things are not as easy and obvious.

Everything about the game is hard.....    damn hard....   which is why so few are great at it...   some are very good....   some are good.....   most are average....     you know,  the bell curve.    

Great skill is rare.

See, that's the thing. People talk about how STUPID Bevell was for that call. There isn't nearly enough mention of how great the play Malcolm Butler made was. His timing was perfect on every aspect. He read the play and made a great break. Watching the play you can see how close it was to an incompletion. I agree that coaches make some mistakes, but the all knowing media/critics usually blow it WAY out of proportion.

To me, it's just the football gods getting even with Pete Carroll fleeing USC sanctions for the sanctuary of the Pacific NW PR. Karma always finds you even if you change addresses just like college student loan collectors. You can run, but you can't hide forever.  :P

Bill Belichick went over this very scenario PR. It's not like Butler had no preparation or did it on a whim & a prayer you know. 

As for your question,  everything looks easy from the comfort of your living room watching things on your Big Screen.

But when you're in the fishbowl....   when you're on the sidelines....   and the bullets are flying and people are talking in your headset and there are coaches and players on the sidelines who are talking/yelling all around you -- things are not as easy and obvious.

Everything about the game is hard.....    damn hard....   which is why so few are great at it...   some are very good....   some are good.....   most are average....     you know,  the bell curve.    

Great skill is rare.

Excellent post NCF. Yeah, even I need to take a deep breath & step back sometimes. I appreciate the valuable reminder. Thank you. 

I blame Eli the most. He's a multi-million dollar "elite" QB who decides:

Eli.jpg

"Gonna throw it out of bounds! That will show 'em! No wai am I getting my jersey dirty with grass!"

Or perhaps the coaching staff told Eli to throw it out of bounds, in which case, Eli should have overruled them, because that's what "elite" QB's do is manage football games. Peyton does it all the time. Is Eli suggesting he lacks that authority? Is he a "yes man"? We don't give those QB's big contracts. We give them clipboards.

In Eli's defense though, what's the 1st thing coaches drill into their QB's head? Don't take the sack & lose vital field position taking us out of FG range. It's a muscle memory thing that is praised 95% of the time you execute throwing the ball out of bonds in games that truly matter RMDY. 

I do despise seeing Dallas win anything so I can't slam Eli because the Giants are my favorite team in the NFC East. Yes, I realize that the Cowboys have the best offensive line in football & solid TEs & WRs that is true but my animosity towards Dallas is decades in the making so athletic talent is really a blip on my radar screen & not a lynchpin factor in my eyes like ever. LOL! 

Seeing Michael Irvin smile & grin from ear to ear on Sunday night over Romo's victory made me sick & that lame podium rant on Game Day highlights over Romo being deemed an elite QB made me roll on the floor with laughter! Dallas is not I repeat not going to the SB this year Michael. Keep dreaming buddy! 

Tony has improved. I will admit that, but elite? Easy there. Let's not get carried away or ahead of ourselves shall we...

As for your question, everything looks easy from the comfort of your living room watching things on your Big Screen.

But when you're in the fishbowl.... when you're on the sidelines.... and the bullets are flying and people are talking in your headset and there are coaches and players on the sidelines who are talking/yelling all around you -- things are not as easy and obvious.

Everything about the game is hard..... damn hard.... which is why so few are great at it... some are very good.... some are good..... most are average.... you know, the bell curve.

Great skill is rare.

Ok, so why don't they hire someone to sit in the press box and make those decisions?

eh some of you are making too many excuses.  Forget the TO mess up. Ok so you think they have two.

You still run and if you don't make it kick the FG. Its not rocket science. The run takes more off the clock and its just that much harder to go down the field for a TD. If your D can't hold- oh well.

Dumping something similar here that's been on my mind...what's with these OCs? This is going to sound crazy but I think some of them are more worried about making a name for themselves than they are winning. I'm sure everybody noticed that AP had 10 carries...from the shotgun...last night. But did you notice how screwy some of those short passing plays were? It's like Norv Turner drew up every play as complicated as possible. Then he gets credit for the quarterback being smart enough to execute them, he's a genius for who dreams up genius plays etc. It reminded me of Jimbo Fisher at Florida State, a guy you don't even wamt to get me started on. Bevell, Haley, either ^^^^ or they're on crack.

Ok, so why don't they hire someone to sit in the press box and make those decisions?

I think that's what Tressel's job was in 2011. Not to make decisions, but to help Caldwell with game management. I don't think any head coach is going to give those decisions to someone else to make, but they should all have someone up there feeding them information, figuring out odds, clock management, etc. Maybe some of them do...?

They do....   those are the assistant coaches.  Some are better than others.

Not sure if you had a chance yet to see the NFL Films documentary on the Patriots 2014 season "Do Your Job"....

It takes you through their year....   and ends with the last play of the Super Bowl. 

All of the assistants in the Press Box and on the sidelines are saying to Bellichick "Bill, do you want a time out?!?"   Which they really meant "Bill, TAKE a time out!"     But Bellichick, to his credit,  stays cool in the middle of chaos.   He sees across the way that Seattle looks confused....   guys are coming off the field,  others on the field,  then they change their mind and everyone changes again....    Bellichick says....   "if they wanted to use their own time out to stop the clock and get organized -- fine -- but I wasn't going to take them off the hook by calling one."

So,  he tells everyone that they're not going to take a time out.   They adjust their personnel on the fly and, of course, you know the rest.    Earlier in the Doc,  they showed how they expected that play that Seattle ran and practiced it all week.   They show you the practice footage and how Butler got burned every time.   He kept trying to go underneath and trail the play.   But, in the game he goes over the top and Browner blocks the pick receiver and you know the rest....

In the Doc,  all the assistants say they got it wrong,  but Bellichick was the one who got it right.  

I hope you get a chance to see....   just fantastic behind the scenes footage.    I can never get enough of that.

I think the Giants had a massive brain fart on a big stage.   But they've been so good in similar situations over the years,   it's pretty shocking that they screwed this up so badly.   Not taking a touchdown which would have made it a 10 point game with a buck-30 to go?    Really?    Coughlin and Eli?    Wow, did they get this wrong!    Amazing!     

What can I tell you...?!?

They do....   those are the assistant coaches.  Some are better than others.

Not sure if you had a chance yet to see the NFL Films documentary on the Patriots 2014 season "Do Your Job"....

It takes you through their year....   and ends with the last play of the Super Bowl. 

All of the assistants in the Press Box and on the sidelines are saying to Bellichick "Bill, do you want a time out?!?"   Which they really meant "Bill, TAKE a time out!"     But Bellichick, to his credit,  stays cool in the middle of chaos.   He sees across the way that Seattle looks confused....   guys are coming off the field,  others on the field,  then they change their mind and everyone changes again....    Bellichick says....   "if they wanted to use their own time out to stop the clock and get organized -- fine -- but I wasn't going to take them off the hook by calling one."

So,  he tells everyone that they're not going to take a time out.   They adjust their personnel on the fly and, of course, you know the rest.    Earlier in the Doc,  they showed how they expected that play that Seattle ran and practiced it all week.   They show you the practice footage and how Butler got burned every time.   He kept trying to go underneath and trail the play.   But, in the game he goes over the top and Browner blocks the pick receiver and you know the rest....

In the Doc,  all the assistants say they got it wrong,  but Bellichick was the one who got it right.  

I hope you get a chance to see....   just fantastic behind the scenes footage.    I can never get enough of that.

I think the Giants had a massive brain fart on a big stage.   But they've been so good in similar situations over the years,   it's pretty shocking that they screwed this up so badly.   Not taking a touchdown which would have made it a 10 point game with a buck-30 to go?    Really?    Coughlin and Eli?    Wow, did they get this wrong!    Amazing!     

What can I tell you...?!?

Right. I can never get enough of that too and it's rare you get that much. Football being so secretive. Yet we are left here on forums to say what we don't know. Which is why I don't say too much cus' ya don't:)  One thing I always learned- never assume :)

In the end all we can really do is just watch.

And that was unlike Coughlin, as was the prevent defense up until the last 2 plays. I know he's not the DC but he's still the coach. By the time they're at this 40, he's supposed to say to the DC "hey enough of that bu||§€! before they score."

I hate prevent D. It always bit us hard.