Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Spygate Otl Report.

Dustin

I think that's a little bit of revisionist history. Patriots fans have never shied away from the details of Spygate...we have just made the claim that the action itself of videotaping was what was illegal...not the common result of 'stealing signals'. All this article did was 'retell' the story. 

They like to say the line, "You don't even know anything about Spygate" and laugh like it wasn't a big deal. This is just throwing more gas on the fire just before opening game is all. We all understand that most is old news but it does reiterate that cheating did indeed happen throughout many years.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a little bit of revisionist history. Patriots fans have never shied away from the details of Spygate...we have just made the claim that the action itself of videotaping was what was illegal...not the common result of 'stealing signals'. All this article did was 'retell' the story. 

Never shied away? No, to them it was no big deal because it was their team. Based on what I read even the Patriot fans didn't know the extent of spygate.

How could they look any worse..???   Any you're right,  nothing will ever change anyone's minds, no matter what side you're on.

It might be a recollection, as you said,  but there were some things in there I personally had never read before.  And I don't see how anyone could walk away from that article,  if they read it start to finish, and think anything other than cheaters.   :dunno:

Here's my feeling on it: From all accounts, both with Spygate and Deflategate, the Patriots' actions were 'well known'. In Spygate...there were stories of coaches looking directly at the video recorders and waiving. And in this article, we learn that coaches would regularly put out 'fake' play sheets. 

Does this excuse the Patriots actions? No...but it also undermines the perception that these were huge game-changing issues. Do you honestly believe that coaches or owners of opposing teams would just let this stuff happen if they truly believed they were being cheated? I hesitate to compare some of it to any other situation with fear of being told I'm deflecting, but the article itself says that it was common practice for scouts of teams to go to games and steal signals...the Patriots just did it with a video recorder instead of a pen and paper...and THAT is what was illegal about it. If anything, this article brings to light just how much in this league does get buried...and I refuse to believe that New England is the only team doing some things that are considered over the line of gamesmanship. We saw it with the Falcons this year...plenty of stuff goes on that we don't even know about...it's just open season on the Patriots and everything together gets compounded and more attention paid to it. 

Here's my feeling on it: From all accounts, both with Spygate and Deflategate, the Patriots' actions were 'well known'. In Spygate...there were stories of coaches looking directly at the video recorders and waiving. And in this article, we learn that coaches would regularly put out 'fake' play sheets. 

Does this excuse the Patriots actions? No...but it also undermines the perception that these were huge game-changing issues. Do you honestly believe that coaches or owners of opposing teams would just let this stuff happen if they truly believed they were being cheated? I hesitate to compare some of it to any other situation with fear of being told I'm deflecting, but the article itself says that it was common practice for scouts of teams to go to games and steal signals...the Patriots just did it with a video recorder instead of a pen and paper...and THAT is what was illegal about it. If anything, this article brings to light just how much in this league does get buried...and I refuse to believe that New England is the only team doing some things that are considered over the line of gamesmanship. We saw it with the Falcons this year...plenty of stuff goes on that we don't even know about...it's just open season on the Patriots and everything together gets compounded and more attention paid to it. 

And why is that? The Patriots did not get their reputation for cheating out of the clear blue sky. You can always deflect as to what other teams did to tell yourself it's OK.

They like to say the line, "You don't even know anything about Spygate" and laugh like it wasn't a big deal. This is just throwing more gas on the fire just before opening game is all. We all understand that most is old news but it does reiterate that cheating did indeed happen throughout many years.

We like to say that those who knew the least about Spygate were always the biggest to complain about it or bring it up incessantly. If new details are released that's one thing, but some of the things people would claim about it while trying to make their case against the Patriots were just dead wrong...and those are the posts we responded to.

We claimed it wasn't a big deal because the result of stealing signals was no different than what other teams were getting as well...it was simply the method by which they tried to obtain the information that was illegal. And they received the harshest penalty in the history of the league for it...admitted to it...and then moved on. It's the misinformation that gets us...nobody has a problem talking about a topic as long as it isn't based on nonsense.

Do you honestly believe that coaches or owners of opposing teams would just let this stuff happen if they truly believed they were being cheated? ...

Yes because Goodell is an * -

"He told me, 'The league doesn't need this. We're asking you to come out with a couple lines exonerating us and saying we did our due diligence.'" Mike Martz, ex-Rams coach, about commissioner Roger Goodell

And why is that? The Patriots did not get their reputation for cheating out of the clear blue sky. You can always deflect as to what other teams did to tell yourself it's OK.

And this is the stuff that pisses me off. Did you even read what I wrote? I quite literally said that it doesn't excuse their actions, and that I'm not deflecting when I just make a point that things go on in this league that we don't even know about and that the Patriots can't be the only ones doing it. 

IT'S NOT DEFLECTION IF I'M ADMITTING THAT IT DOESN'T EXCUSE THEIR ACTIONS! 

During games, Adams sat in the coaches' box, with binoculars and notes of decoded signals, wearing a headset with a direct audio line to Belichick. Whenever Adams saw an opposing coach's signal he recognized, he'd say something like, "Watch for the Two Deep Blitz," and either that information was relayed to Brady or a play designed specifically to exploit the defense was called. A former Patriots employee who was directly involved in the taping system says "it helped our offense a lot," especially in divisional games in which there was a short amount of time between the first and second matchups, making it harder for opposing coaches to change signals.

Wow. All I can say.

We claimed it wasn't a big deal because the result of stealing signals was no different than what other teams were getting as well...it was simply the method by which they tried to obtain the information that was illegal.

Then these were no big deal as well. Perfectly A-Okay.

In fact, many former New England coaches and employees insist that the taping of signals wasn't even the most effective cheating method the Patriots deployed in that era. Several of them acknowledge that during pregame warm-ups, a low-level Patriots employee would sneak into the visiting locker room and steal the play sheet, listing the first 20 or so scripted calls for the opposing team's offense. (The practice became so notorious that some coaches put out fake play sheets for the Patriots to swipe.)

Numerous former employees say the Patriots would have someone rummage through the visiting team hotel for playbooks or scouting reports. Walsh later told investigators that he was once instructed to remove the labels and erase tapes of a Patriots practice because the team had illegally used a player on injured reserve. At Gillette Stadium, the scrambling and jamming of the opponents' coach-to-quarterback radio line -- "small s---" that many teams do, according to a former Pats assistant coach -- occurred so often that one team asked a league official to sit in the coaches' box during the game and wait for it to happen. Sure enough, on a key third down, the headset went out.

Patriots' videographers were told to look like media members, to tape over their team logos or turn their sweatshirt inside out, to wear credentials that said Patriots TV or Kraft Productions. The videographers also were provided with excuses for what to tell NFL security if asked what they were doing: Tell them you're filming the quarterbacks. Or the kickers. Or footage for a team show.

They closed the door, and Adams played a compilation tape that matched the signals to the plays from the player's former team, and asked how many were accurate. "He had about 50 percent of them right," the player says now.

During games, Adams sat in the coaches' box, with binoculars and notes of decoded signals, wearing a headset with a direct audio line to Belichick. Whenever Adams saw an opposing coach's signal he recognized, he'd say something like, "Watch for the Two Deep Blitz," and either that information was relayed to Brady or a play designed specifically to exploit the defense was called. A former Patriots employee who was directly involved in the taping system says "it helped our offense a lot," especially in divisional games in which there was a short amount of time between the first and second matchups, making it harder for opposing coaches to change signals.

etc.

Then these were no big deal as well. Perfectly A-Okay.

In fact, many former New England coaches and employees insist that the taping of signals wasn't even the most effective cheating method the Patriots deployed in that era. Several of them acknowledge that during pregame warm-ups, a low-level Patriots employee would sneak into the visiting locker room and steal the play sheet, listing the first 20 or so scripted calls for the opposing team's offense. (The practice became so notorious that some coaches put out fake play sheets for the Patriots to swipe.)

Patriots' videographers were told to look like media members, to tape over their team logos or turn their sweatshirt inside out, to wear credentials that said Patriots TV or Kraft Productions. The videographers also were provided with excuses for what to tell NFL security if asked what they were doing: Tell them you're filming the quarterbacks. Or the kickers. Or footage for a team show.

They closed the door, and Adams played a compilation tape that matched the signals to the plays from the player's former team, and asked how many were accurate. "He had about 50 percent of them right," the player says now.

etc.

Again...I'm not excusing it or justifying their deceptive tactics...but I point to the line that says "The practice became so notorious that some coaches put out fake play sheets for the Patriots to swipe".

If teams know about it and take actions to combat it, then that probably explains why there was no outrage for some unfair advantage gained. Much like how opposing coaches were aware of the videotaping and would waive when they saw the cameras, it's hard to feel sorry for someone that know it is happening. With all the NFL Network specials and Sound FX episodes and 'inside this' and 'behind the scenes' type of audio and programming that the league puts out, if a team isn't changing their signals than they deserve to lose by 100 points. That is called common sense. I just feel like having some guy up in the box with binoculars recognizing play calls isn't as shocking as people want to make it seem. I mean, what do you think teams are doing with the signals that their scouts consistently try to steal from the teams? 

I don't know...I just never had a 'wow' moment when reading that article. Many did and that's fine...but most of it was just a summary of things we already heard about almost a decade ago...and hearing it again now doesn't change anything.

Again...I'm not excusing it or justifying their deceptive tactics...but I point to the line that says "The practice became so notorious that some coaches put out fake play sheets for the Patriots to swipe".

If teams know about it and take actions to combat it, then that probably explains why there was no outrage for some unfair advantage gained. Much like how opposing coaches were aware of the videotaping and would waive when they saw the cameras, it's hard to feel sorry for someone that know it is happening. With all the NFL Network specials and Sound FX episodes and 'inside this' and 'behind the scenes' type of audio and programming that the league puts out, if a team isn't changing their signals than they deserve to lose by 100 points. That is called common sense. I just feel like having some guy up in the box with binoculars recognizing play calls isn't as shocking as people want to make it seem. I mean, what do you think teams are doing with the signals that their scouts consistently try to steal from the teams? 

I don't know...I just never had a 'wow' moment when reading that article. Many did and that's fine...but most of it was just a summary of things we already heard about almost a decade ago...and hearing it again now doesn't change anything.

1. There is outrage over unfair advantage gained. From the fans and owners of every team outside of your bubble.

2. You know it was much more elaborate and sophisticated than this. 

Edited by 21isSuperman

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/08/patriots-cheating-suspicions-bill-belichick-tom-brady?xid=si_social

New SI story is pretty good too:

At various times over the last decade, at least 19 NFL franchises took precautions against the Patriots that they didn’t take against any other opponent, people who worked for those teams told SI. Those concerns have not waned in the eight years that have passed since the Spygate scandal. The list of safeguards is long and varied. Teams commonly clear out trash cans in their hotel meeting rooms in New England because they believe the Patriots go through them. One longtime head coach said he ran fake plays in his Saturday walkthroughs at Gillette Stadium because he thought the Patriots might be spying on his team. Another team has taken things further: It fled Gillette and found a different place to practice, and on game day it piled trunks of equipment against the double doors in the back of the visitors’ locker room so nobody could get in. That same team kicked the visiting locker room manager out of the office he occupies near the clubhouse.

Edited by 21isSuperman

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if, well when it comes out down the road that the patriots have hacked their way into the headsets of the opposing coaches.  Anything VHF or UHF can be intercepted, even with scramble codes.  Would take some very advanced equipment, but I really wouldn't put it past them at this point.

Long time listener, first time caller!

I have followed two "Spygate" stories from the sports world over the years. Ironically they both occurred in the same year, with the other beginning before the NFL's Spygate story began. In fact, the phrase "Spygate" wasn't coined for this incident at all...US sports writers have UK sports writers to thank for that juicy title. Anyway, one of these Spygate sagas was handled correctly, and the other was not. Funny enough, there are some similarities.

Since the details of the NFL's Spygate are well known here, I won't rehash it.

In early 2007, a disgruntled employee of the Ferrari Formula One team that was seeking greener pastures with a different team contacted a disgruntled employee of the McLaren F1 team. They had known each other for many years and decided together that they would present themselves as a package to a new team. An exchange took place where the Ferrari employee passed on some of the design plans of Ferrari's 2007 car to the same McLaren employee. They were to have this information to present to a new team to hopefully get them in the door. At no point did the McLaren employee pass the Ferrari info around to other McLaren employees...in fact, the plans never left that persons house. At some point early in the 2007 season Ferrari gets wind of this and reports it to the FIA (F1's equivalent of the league office), and an investigation begins.

The investigation took place over several months. People were interviewed, electronic forensics done at McLaren's HQ, sworn statements collected. The FIA accused the McLaren employee of having this info to gain a competitive advantage and accused McLaren itself of "bringing the sport into disrepute", an offense that carried no defined penalty. That accusation was made because McLaren publicly stated many times that it had no knowledge of the machinations of these two rogue employees and did not direct any of it to occur.

The FIA imposed at $100 million fine against McLaren and removed all of their championship points scored for that season, which was worth another $80-$100 million to the team as they were leading the championship at that point. This, despite the FIA finding no conclusive evidence that McLaren, as an organization, had done nothing wrong.

A harsh penalty for sure, but it sent a message to the sport that cheating, the illusion of cheating or even bringing the sport into disrepute would not be tolerated.

Goodell and the NFL had a golden opportunity to do the same after Spygate and failed to do so. Not saying the penalty for the Patriots should have been anywhere near as harsh as McLaren's penalty, but the punishment certainly didn't fit the crime.

If teams know about it and take actions to combat it, then that probably explains why there was no outrage for some unfair advantage gained. Much like how opposing coaches were aware of the videotaping and would waive when they saw the cameras, it's hard to feel sorry for someone that know it is happening.

Uhh, that is a load of bologna. :thmdown:

The allegations against the Patriots prompted NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson to send a letter to all 32 team owners, general managers and head coaches on Sept. 6, 2006, reminding them that "videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited from the sidelines."

But the Patriots kept doing it. In November 2006, Green Bay Packers security officials caught Matt Estrella shooting unauthorized footage at Lambeau Field. When asked what he was doing, according to notes from the Senate investigation of Spygate that had not previously been disclosed, Estrella said he was with Kraft Productions and was taping panoramic shots of the stadium. He was removed by Packers security. That same year, according to former Colts GM Bill Polian, who served for years on the competition committee and is now an analyst for ESPN, several teams complained that the Patriots had videotaped signals of their coaches. And so the Patriots -- and the rest of the NFL -- were warned again, in writing, before the 2007 season, sources say.

We like to say that those who knew the least about Spygate were always the biggest to complain about it or bring it up incessantly. If new details are released that's one thing, but some of the things people would claim about it while trying to make their case against the Patriots were just dead wrong...and those are the posts we responded to.

We claimed it wasn't a big deal because the result of stealing signals was no different than what other teams were getting as well...it was simply the method by which they tried to obtain the information that was illegal. And they received the harshest penalty in the history of the league for it...admitted to it...and then moved on. It's the misinformation that gets us...nobody has a problem talking about a topic as long as it isn't based on nonsense.

Uh-um! I hate to break into your lackadaisical spew of what Pat fans call the truth. But, the only "nonsense" hanging here is all over the organization's saintly reputation combined with it's total lack of responsibility.

Here's a towel. Wipe it off. Maybe the franchise should concentrate on a clean slate, instead of trying to dirty another.

The attempt at damage control by Goodell at the end of the whole affair should be enough for fans to question the integrity of this sport. Already this year we've heard coaches, players and commentators remind fans that the NFL is primarily entertainment. Funny...I thought it was primarily a sport. I remember when the WWF started referring to itself as "sports entertainment."

A few things to note here:

1. These are just reports, as of now.  I think a full investigation should be done.  And I think that investigation should be done by a 3rd party with no conflict of interests.  The NFL should not conduct the investigation, especially given how Goodell handled DeflateGate

2. This stuff paints Goodell in a pretty bad light, as well as the Patriots.  Telling coaches what to say so the league looks good?  Giving a harsher penalty for DeflateGate because SpyGate's penalties were too low?  To me, it shows a lack of credibility and good judgement on Goodell's part.

One thing is certain: The NFL did not do the patriots many favors by destroying the evidence. The combination of patriots success plus actions that may have given them an unfair advantage will just lead to rampant speculation if you hide and destroy the evidence that shows how far their actions go and how much advantage (if any) may have been gained. Because of that this will never die.

1. There is outrage over unfair advantage gained. From the fans and owners of every team outside of your bubble.

2. You know it was much more elaborate and sophisticated than this. 

There is outrage by those who got stomped on along the way. I always love the ones that are outspoken about it...like Hines Ward about the 2001 AFC Championship game. You know...like how Spygate was supposed to help our offense because we filmed their defensive signals...yet our offense scored a grand total of 1 touchdown in that game. I'm sure that Ernie Adams sitting up there in the press box with binoculars really really helped the Patriots score a touchdown on a punt return and score a touchdown off a blocked field goal. Oh, and those horrific interceptions that Kordell Stewart threw...what'd he have 2? 3? Yeah...those freakin' spying Patriots!!!

And the Panthers in Superbowl 38...you mean you went into the locker room at halftime and made adjustments??? That's just crazy talk. Who would think to do that??? Oh you were able to score a lot of points after changing your signals? Sweet, that definitely shows that something was fishy. Game was 14-10 at haltime and finished 32-29. 

This article just provides more ammo for those who want it...no more, no less. 

1. These are just reports, as of now.  I think a full investigation should be done.  And I think that investigation should be done by a 3rd party with no conflict of interests.  The NFL should not conduct the investigation, especially given how Goodell handled DeflateGate

2. This stuff paints Goodell in a pretty bad light, as well as the Patriots.  Telling coaches what to say so the league looks good?  Giving a harsher penalty for DeflateGate because SpyGate's penalties were too low?  To me, it shows a lack of credibility and good judgement on Goodell's part.

Yes, I agree with you on both counts.

But  

I also think it's pretty credible info in this article and it very much reinforces what many across the NFL have thought for years.

Uh-um! I hate to break into your lackadaisical spew of what Pat fans call the truth. But, the only "nonsense" hanging here is all over the organization's saintly reputation combined with it's total lack of responsibility.

Here's a towel. Wipe it off. Maybe the franchise should concentrate on a clean slate, instead of trying to dirty another.

Right now they are just concentrating on Thursday night's opponent after they raise their 4th Championship banner.

Agreed, but who would pay for it though? Tax payers really want to be on the hook for finding out more information? Not everyone is an avid football fan. Rachel Nichols did have a good question during SB week about how the NFL wasn't independent bc they are paying for Wells but Goodell did say "are you going to pay for it?".

Plus, does it even matter when the Pats don't cooperate at every turn? Destroying cell phone evidence and withholding the two bozos AFTER the Deflator text was discovered? I guess they would have to be under oath this time but main questions - who will pay for that and is it already too late?

Edited by 21isSuperman

Right now they are just concentrating on Thursday night's opponent after they raise their 4th Championship banner.

Honestly, one day, the league, the world will all get fed up with the Patriots cheating and will do something big enough to not only get caught ,but catch the attention of lawmakers, the courts etc and  I can honestly see the league, under intense pressure, stripping the patriots of their titles, banners etc as was done to other sports like Lance Armstrong, some olympians etc. And then, I will laugh and laugh and laugh

There is outrage by those who got stomped on along the way. I always love the ones that are outspoken about it...like Hines Ward about the 2001 AFC Championship game. You know...like how Spygate was supposed to help our offense because we filmed their defensive signals...yet our offense scored a grand total of 1 touchdown in that game. I'm sure that Ernie Adams sitting up there in the press box with binoculars really really helped the Patriots score a touchdown on a punt return and score a touchdown off a blocked field goal. Oh, and those horrific interceptions that Kordell Stewart threw...what'd he have 2? 3? Yeah...those freakin' spying Patriots!!!

And the Panthers in Superbowl 38...you mean you went into the locker room at halftime and made adjustments??? That's just crazy talk. Who would think to do that??? Oh you were able to score a lot of points after changing your signals? Sweet, that definitely shows that something was fishy. Game was 14-10 at haltime and finished 32-29. 

Why didn't you respond to anything else? You said there is nothing new here, since Spygate was just misplaced camera angles which turns out is not the case.

Edited by 21isSuperman

It's pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder if Reggie asked to be released because all the pats* were doing were trying to get Colts info out of him. 

The funny thing is, like the deflated footballs, they don't even need his intel against us. This is how Danny Woodhead became a Patriot though, picked up after the Jets cut him less than a week before their matchup.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Even a dead clock is correct twice a day.

According to Martz , he was outraged and was told to respond as instructed. Right ? Unless Martz is lying or reporting is bad . your fluff is incorrect as far as your statement saying there was "no outrage by other teams."