Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis Is Back But Don't Forget About Nate Irving

zibby43

Mathis and Irving are both coming off significant injuries but both players are studs.

I had completely lost track of Irving myself.  Kid was a player for the Broncos.  Has some serious run-stopping ability at the ILB position.

The defensive depth could actually improve as the season wears on.  How about that for a change?

:blueshoe:

Mathis and Irving are both coming off significant injuries but both players are studs.

I had completely lost track of Irving myself.  Kid was a player for the Broncos.  Has some serious run-stopping ability at the ILB position.

The defensive depth could actually improve as the season wears on.  How about that for a change?

:blueshoe:

Yeah, I agree.  I can really see from his time at the Broncos where he can be a outstanding quality relief for the middle and maybe more some day.  And Mathis?  'Nuff said.

I agree

He looked strong with the Broncos

Freeman can cover (some) but isnt a good run stopper

However...........

ALL of our ILBs would LOOK better if we had decent NT play............

Freeman gets clobbered when a RB has a full head of steam

Jackson does OK, but is slower in reacting.... and then when he is on the field when the competition passes......... (guess where the ball goes)

yeah. and we actually haven't had any big injuries so far this preseason ( Knock on wood).

I'm not superstitious (fingers crossed) so I'll talk about injuries.

IMO we have two players that if we lost them it would derail the season.  Franchise and Vontae.

Everyone else can be replaced.  Sure, the back up may not be quite up to the starter but they'd be serviceable.  AC may be third on the list and may cause an adjustment in protection, but we could get by.

So, while people freak out about all of our injuries, I think we're actually in pretty good shape.

Mathis returning is huge for us. In the next draft we need to get a pass rusher though. Unless Werner works out for us that will be top priority. The 3rd game is going to be tell all for this team. Our defense hasn't been great at all. Some people say preseason doesn't matter, but it does. You can tell about your depth, strength and weaknesses of this team. I'm going to wait until then to make a full assessment.

Mathis returning is huge for us. In the next draft we need to get a pass rusher though. Unless Werner works out for us that will be top priority. The 3rd game is going to be tell all for this team. Our defense hasn't been great at all. Some people say preseason doesn't matter, but it does. You can tell about your depth, strength and weaknesses of this team. I'm going to wait until then to make a full assessment.

Yep, pass rusher for sure, would also love to see 2 massive offensive and defensive linemen that can step in and make an impact. Maybe toss in a skill position guy too.

Irving's a beast against the run. There's a chance he'll be starting for Freeman IMO. But I sit and see one of the beast run stopping ILB's just sitting there for the taking in free agency and wonder why we don't call him up. Brandon Spikes. We need some hardcore, hard nosed players like him on defense. The thing is, he'll probably end up signing for something like 1year, 2 million or something. Maybe not even that. But yeah as for Irving. He's a beast. He's really gonna help out our run D.

Unless Freeman gets hurt,  I think you're going to be disappointed......

Ya, I think Freeman does a good job in open field tackling. He lacks the ideal size for packing a punch between the tackles but he is solid. I would see Irving being a good rotational guy right now and probably the replacement for one of those two later. Isnt Freeman going into a contract year?

Ya, I think Freeman does a good job in open field tackling. He lacks the ideal size for packing a punch between the tackles but he is solid. I would see Irving being a good rotational guy right now and probably the replacement for one of those two later. Isnt Freeman going into a contract year?

Freeman is on a 1 year deal this year (he was a restricted free agent heading into this season).  We've got DQ and Irving through the 2017 seasons.  I suppose it would give us the option of letting Freeman go after this year if he is looking for a big contract next offseason.  If we let go of anyone to make room for Freeman, it would be DQ, since the dead money would be relatively low.  

But I agree with you on the usage of Irving - I see him as a situational guy with the potential to fill in for injury.  Unless, of course, he comes in and just terrorizes everyone and everything, which no one will be predicting that.

Yes....   he's on a one year deal right now.

Possible FA next off-season.