Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Has Some Explaining To Do

dudley dawson

He was always awful.

The two games before the Patriots game, Richardson averaged 5.2 yards/carry on 21 carries. He also had 6 catches for 50 yards. He only played 38.6% of the snaps in those two games.

Not only was Richardson not awful prior to the Patriots game, but he wasn't forced on the field in an effort to save face.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two games before the Patriots game, Richardson averaged 5.2 yards/carry on 21 carries. He also had 6 catches for 50 yards. He only played 38.6% of the snaps in those two games.

Not only was Richardson not awful prior to the Patriots game, but he wasn't forced on the field in an effort to save face.

And the 8 games before that he averaged like 3.4 YPC. 

He should not have seen the field at all. 

Boom obviously.

How is it obvious?   

You weren't in camp or at practice to see what he was doing. 

And even when he got in,  he had a bad case of the fumbles.....   I believe it was reported that the reason we didn't see him sooner last year was because he was fumbling so much in practice.  

That's incredible.

'Even though he got better and had some good games, he never should have been given the opportunity to have those good games.' That's your position?

This is a waste. We all know the Richardson deal was terrible. Lambast Grigson on that basis alone, and there's no defense. But not only do I think the claim that Grigson decided that Richardson would play is baseless, but when he was in a timeshare with Bradshaw, the offense and the run game were doing okay. 

If it had been anyone other than the player that Grigson stupidly traded a first rounder for, we wouldn't be acting like he should never have been on the field. 

I couldn't read more than a few pages on here, but to me it seems crazy that we are defending and giving the benefit of the doubt to our OL.. No other quarterback in the league has been hit more than Andrew Luck since his rookie season. Our run blocking has been sub par ever since. I'm not saying we need to panic, but "relaxed" doesn't seem to be the right mindset... 

I still haven't been able to watch the last preseason game.. NFL network didn't show it Saturday. 

How is it obvious?   

You weren't in camp or at practice to see what he was doing. 

And even when he got in,  he had a bad case of the fumbles.....   I believe it was reported that the reason we didn't see him sooner last year was because he was fumbling so much in practice.  

Because Trent Richardson is statistically one of the 5 worst runningbacks in the history on the Nation Football League to ever see significant game time. Any RB off of the street could have outproduced him with a few weeks to learn the playbook. And that's not even an opinion. That is essentially fact. 

I couldn't read more than a few pages on here, but to me it seems crazy that we are defending and giving the benefit of the doubt to our OL.. No other quarterback in the league has been hit more than Andrew Luck since his rookie season. Our run blocking has been sub par ever since. I'm not saying we need to panic, but "relaxed" doesn't seem to be the right mindset... 

I still haven't been able to watch the last preseason game.. NFL network didn't show it Saturday

They showed it at like 4 a.m. Sunday morning...

had to DVR that bad boy...

That's incredible.

'Even though he got better and had some good games, he never should have been given the opportunity to have those good games.' That's your position?

This is a waste. We all know the Richardson deal was terrible. Lambast Grigson on that basis alone, and there's no defense. But not only do I think the claim that Grigson decided that Richardson would play is baseless, but when he was in a timeshare with Bradshaw, the offense and the run game were doing okay. 

If it had been anyone other than the player that Grigson stupidly traded a first rounder for, we wouldn't be acting like he should never have been on the field. 

The only reason the run game was doing okay was because Bradshaw was playing like a madman and picked up Richardson's slack. 

And to answer your question yes, Richardson should have been cut from the team following the 2013 season or at the very least prior to the start of the 2014 season. 

And as to your last line, I'm not sure what you would be doing, but if there was another player that was as bad as his job as TRich was, then yes, I would say he never should have seen the field either. 

Because Trent Richardson is statistically one of the 5 worst runningbacks in the history on the Nation Football League to ever see significant game time. Any RB off of the street could have outproduced him with a few weeks to learn the playbook. And that's not even an opinion. That is essentially fact. 

If you really think things are that easy and obvious then you simply don't know football as well as you think you do.

That is essentially fact.

Jerry Hughes just signed a fat new contract this off-season. I wonder what Kelvin Sheppard is up to?

The only reason the run game was doing okay was because Bradshaw was playing like a madman and picked up Richardson's slack. 

And to answer your question yes, Richardson should have been cut from the team following the 2013 season or at the very least prior to the start of the 2014 season. 

And as to your last line, I'm not sure what you would be doing, but if there was another player that was as bad as his job as TRich was, then yes, I would say he never should have seen the field either. 

In one instance you point to the Jerry Hughes trade as an example of bad GM'ing by Grigson, yet TRich should've been cut after one season???

awesome...

To all those saying "it's only week 2 of pre-season, relax...", this is year 4.  Enough is enough.  Apparently some of you are fine giving Grigson an infinite amount of time to get the line fixed, but I am not.  And a lot of the supporters seem to think Colts would be totally screwed without him.  Sometimes, the grass really is greener. 

Again, I'm not saying Grigson should be fired (yet) but if the Colts under-perform and/or Luck gets hurt, it may be time to look in another direction.

You are not giving Grigson any more time? Really? Please list any GM who has don't what Grigson has done in three seasons? Took a team that was in shambles and 39 million in dead cap space. Took them to the playoffs after just about a total rebuilt team and advanced farther each year. Now the Colts are one on the favored team to win the AFC and some say the super bowl if things fall right. I will wait for you list of GMs that has done a better job considering what he had when he took the job.

In one instance you point to the Jerry Hughes trade as an example of bad GM'ing by Grigson, yet TRich should've been cut after one season???

awesome...

I don't see the problem. It's not like Hughes was a starter that wasn't producing (like Werner), he was stuck behind two all-pros and never saw playing time, and the season he did (2012), he showed his worth as a rotational pass rusher.

Jerry Hughes just signed a fat new contract this off-season. I wonder what Kelvin Sheppard is up to?

Because Hughes was an all pro while in Indy.

Grigson probably should have given him a contract that was indicative of a top 5 or 10 LB based on what Hughes had done in his first few years in Indy.

This revisionist history is way over the top.

If you really think things are that easy and obvious then you simply don't know football as well as you think you do.

That is essentially fact.

Any RB could have averaged over 3.3 YPC (which is currently like the 3rd lowest mark in NFL history). So yes, unless we signed the worst or 2nd worst runningback in league history, he would have outproduced him.

I think when it comes to Dan Herron specifically your not taking one thing into account and that he is not strong enough to take all the carries and punishment between the tackles(Booms longest run of 49 yards did come between the Tackles but he was completely untouched)......Brown really wasn't either, Both are best used sharing carries based on what I have seen, Neither can take the punishment of the full load

Because Hughes was an all pro while in Indy.

Grigson probably should have given him a contract that was indicative of a top 5 or 10 LB based on what Hughes had done in his first few years in Indy.

This revisionist history is way over the top.

No revisionist history at all. It was a bad trade at the time just like it is now.

I think when it comes to Dan Herron specifically your not taking one thing into account and that he is not strong enough to take all the carries and punishment between the tackles(Booms longest run of 49 yards did come between the Tackles but he was completely untouched)......Brown really wasn't either, Both are best used sharing carries based on what I have seen, Neither can take the punishment of the full load

There's no indication whatsoever that that is true. I have no reason to believe that Boom couldn't handle a full workload.

What good has Grigs done???

Ok, we passed on Rhodes CB from FSU to choose his teammate WERNER, FAIL!

then THOMAS plays 1 game in 2 years (had injury history), then we pass on COLLINS whom we could have gotten in 6-7 round. Ok Aside from LUCK, TY,and maybe TE ALLEN (round 3). J.MEWHORT played exceptional at LG. Maybe his best pick may pan out to be J.ROBINSON...thoughts?

What good has Grigson done? Is that a serious question? I guess taking a team that was in shambles and 39 million in dead cap money to being one of the favorites to win the AFC in 3 seasons is nothing. It makes no difference to you that he has rebuilt this team with the exception of 3 or 4 players with two of them being kickers. Naw, he hasn't done nothing!

I don't see the problem. It's not like Hughes was a starter that wasn't producing (like Werner), he was stuck behind two all-pros and never saw playing time, and the season he did (2012), he showed his worth as a rotational pass rusher.

So 4 sacks as a 3rd year 1st round player is showing worth, (how many sacks did Werner have last year?) but 6.5 sacks & 3 forced fumbles by a rookie 5th rounder is just o.k.???

just trying to learn something here...

Not sure why TRich is an argument still... he is the Raiders problem now.  

Move on, everyone knows it was a bad deal (except maybe the Raiders).  

Most people were stoked when TRich was traded for.  Most of us armchair GMs fell for the deal initially, just like Grigs. (I sure did)

Every GM has their hits and misses, just hope for more hits rather than hating everything the man does.   With the stat of being the 6th highest payroll to defense (posted above) that shows Grigs is trying to show fix the defense via FA while attempting to fix the line via the draft.  It just so happens he isn't selecting the proper people right now (with the exception of Mike Adams and Mewhort (as guard)).

So 4 sacks as a 3rd year 1st round player is showing worth, (how many sacks did Werner have last year?) but 6.5 sacks & 3 forced fumbles by a rookie 5th rounder is just o.k.???

just trying to learn something here...

This works under the assumption that I don't think Newsome showed worth, which I obviously do. If Grigson traded Newsome for some mediocre ILB, I wouldn't like that trade anymore than I did the Hughes trade.

Also, sack numbers are lazy analysis, if you want, I can give you a detailed list of all three of their pressure, hurries, hits, sacks, ectt numbers. 

if you truly think Grigson had no say in the QB he was going to be expected to build a franchise around your kidding yourself.

Also I recall Irsay made the call on Manning and let the new GM make the call on Luck or RG3. With that said I am sure Irsay was involved in the process but he was getting information gathered by Grigson and his staff to make the call.

Who made most of that decision we will never know but one thing I can promise you is that Grigson didn't sit there and twiddle his thumbs while Irsay made that decision all by himself.

The whole draft staff debates on who is drafted. From the owner all the way down to the scouts have opinions that are hashed out before any choice is made. I don't understand why so many want to point out faults and praise for one person. The staff works on the draft board long before the draft. It just makes it easy for some to point a finger at someone and put the blame on them. Most of those posters have no clue about the inner workings of a team or their draft.

That's incredible.

"but when he was in a timeshare with Bradshaw, the offense and the run game were doing okay."

Well Richardson did have Bradshaw to fall back on, That's what was carrying the run game

"If it had been anyone other than the player that Grigson stupidly traded a first rounder for, we wouldn't be acting like he should never have been on the field."

I don't think this is true, Personally I think any player that showed the ineptitude that Richardson did at his position (this goes for other players for other positions to obviously) has no business being on the field unless he shows consistent improvement which he did not.(Though as I have said before as well he did get off to a good start in a couple games last year but for whatever reason we quit running him).... like I have said multiple times to put it all on him is ridiculous in my opinion. I think right now its a handful of immature people that just love to make jabs at Richardsons expense that simply refuse to let it die

So says the revisionist.

Yup, revisionism all right.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:06 AM
The general consensus around the Bills boards is that this dude sucks. TBH I would rather have kept Hughes. He was solid in rotational time as a pass rusher.

LOL. 

2012 - Fleener ---> Cordy Glenn or Osemele(+ picks for moving down)

2013 - Werner ---> Warford( + 3rd + 4th + 7th we could have gotten the Min. deal that the NE did (maybe more))

2014 - Trent Richardson ---> Joel Bitonio

2015 - Not gambling at least the 7th on calling Collin's bluff when we knew we had so many ??? at RT was a bad move.  If he sits out we lost a 7th round pick ... big deal ... I am betting he could have been talked into signing. 

I am sure I am missing some other possibilities

You act like hind sight is known before hand. Every GM has hits and misses. History of all pro sports have players who were overlooked during drafts. It's easy to sit here now and judge after the fact. "IF" has the most meaning of any other 2 letter word. You can complain all you care to but  sitting stewing over what "if" is a waist of time. You fandom has lead you to believe that Grigson has to pick or trade for nothing but all stars. Sorry to inform you but there is such a thing as reality.

You act like hind sight is known before hand. Every GM has hits and misses. History of all pro sports have players who were overlooked during drafts. It's easy to sit here now and judge after the fact. "IF" has the most meaning of any other 2 letter word. You can complain all you care to but  sitting stewing over what "if" is a waist of time. You fandom has lead you to believe that Grigson has to pick or trade for nothing but all stars. Sorry to inform you but there is such a thing as reality.

As I have said more than once, I didn't expect him to hit all these opportunities, but I don't think it is unrealistic to a expect a good GM to have hit one or two.  And it's not hindsight when you make the observations/have the opinions at the time; which many posters on the forum did.  Grigson has done a horrible job with the OL (and the DL) I gave him a pass due to circumstances early on, but at this point it is becoming ridiculous. 

Yup, revisionism all right.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

The general consensus around the Bills boards is that this dude sucks. TBH I would rather have kept Hughes. He was solid in rotational time as a pass rusher.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/17941-colts-have-traded-jerry-hughes-for-bills-lb-kelvin-sheppard/page-9

LOL.

Well I stand corrected, if the Bills board said he sucked. However, Shepard really wasn't the point was he. Hughes was doing little to nothing while he was in Indy, for whatever reason. The Colts were not going to keep him around.

Well I stand corrected, if the Bills board said he sucked. However, Shepard really wasn't the point was he. Hughes was doing little to nothing while he was in Indy, for whatever reason. The Colts were not going to keep him around.

He was getting limited reps, and being misused ... it was a horrible trade by Grigson.

No, you would NOT have signed Collins. He CHOSE to sign with dallas.

I don't see how its so hard for people to understand....especially after it has been said multiple times.......La'el Collins would have to WANT to sign here.....He did not and Grigson said it himself he tried to get Collins to sign....He did not want to sign. Same for Mathis, He has to want to sign here...Grigson just cant forge a players signature on the dotted line and expect him to come here and play

Give em a little more money than the other team and they would sign with a big ole smile. So yeah. We could have signed both IMO.

Give em a little more money than the other team and they would sign with a big ole smile. So yeah. We could have signed both IMO.

More money???

This is the Colts we are talking about, everyone knows that all NFL players would gladly take league minimum for the opportunity to play for this franchise...

Jonathan Cooper was a highly ranked guard also. Andy Levitre was a highly ranked FA OG. The rest is history.

except Worford is good? So... Your point? All freaking draft picks are a risk you can't be afraid to take a chance at improving the line we take Worford and what are we out Werner? Who gives a damn he hasn't done crap. This year you take a chance on Donovan Smith and what do we lose? Our number 4 WR. I'd give up Werner and Dorsette for a shot at 2 cornerstones on our starting O line