Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Broyles: Detroit Lions Wide Receiver Says He and His Wife Live on Roughly $60,000 Each Year

bap1331

I wonder if those people who wanted to praise Gronk for only spending his endorsement money are lining up to give Broyles their left arm.

In all seriousness, I'm not impressed by this kind of stuff.  Just because you make millions, doesn't mean you should be praised for making smart or responsible decisions.  It's expected of you, as an adult, to make responsible decisions, especially with all the resources the NFL has for their players.  You don't deserve extra credit for something you're supposed to do.  Per 2013 statistics, about 80% of Americans make $60 000 or less per year.  Where's their news article?  Where's their attention?

Sorry for being that guy, but I don't understand why people put athletes on pedestals like they're better than non-athletes and try to give them attention and credit for doing something a responsible person just does.  And this isn't any shot at you, bap.  More towards the media for focusing so much on such meaningless things and giving credit where it isn't due.

I wonder if those people who wanted to praise Gronk for only spending his endorsement money are lining up to give Broyles their left arm.

In all seriousness, I'm not impressed by this kind of stuff.  Just because you make millions, doesn't mean you should be praised for making smart or responsible decisions.  It's expected of you, as an adult, to make responsible decisions, especially with all the resources the NFL has for their players.  You don't deserve extra credit for something you're supposed to do.  Per 2013 statistics, about 80% of Americans make $60 000 or less per year.  Where's their news article?  Where's their attention?

Sorry for being that guy, but I don't understand why people put athletes on pedestals like they're better than non-athletes and try to give them attention and credit for doing something a responsible person just does.  And this isn't any shot at you, bap.  More towards the media for focusing so much on such meaningless things and giving credit where it isn't due.

You do make an absolutely valid point.

Responsible decisions are supposed to be understood for an adult irrespective of being rich or poor. However, money is one of those things in today's world where almost 80% of them who has it struggle with their lives. Its not how it is supposed to be but unfortunately it is. So, the ones who have it and make good "expected" decisions are considered a savior.

I think the point is that we all read the stories of some pro players spending at an excess and being broke not too long after their playing days are over. It is a change to read an article that shows that the bigger part of pro players don't waist what they have earned. Way too many stories about immature players who have been catered to and don't see past their playing days. I wouldn't call this article praise at all.

I don't know 21. Just because a guy is a supremely talented athlete doesn't mean they come from a stable background & family life nor does it mean that they are wizards with money either. Sometimes, all they know is survival & football being their only avenue out of poverty. Translation: I think it's a false premise to automatically assume that athletes come from good homes, with good mentors, & sound fiscal planning. 

Even though the NFL Symposium provides rookies with guidance about wise investing, steering clear of people who will try to bleep you dry, being frugal with your earnings, & avoiding dangerous temptations it doesn't mean that all athletes were taught to be responsible regarding their paychecks. If you were never taught to set money aside for when football is gone growing up, no one time cautionary tale from a former NFL great in a lecture hall is going to transform you so I think highlighting responsible behavior is important & has merit myself. JMO. 

I get your overall point though 21. $60,000 a year is a lot of money & several people I know earn a lot less than that so your point is well taken.  

I give great credit to Broyles and his wife for doing this.    And the reason I give great credit for doing this is because most people who could do what the Broyles' have done -- don't.    They don't live this way.     They don't save for the future.

And neither do most Americans.   We're among the worst in saving for the future.   Most Americans live for today and worry about tomorrow -- tomorrow.

So, when an athlete who could be living the high-life, leads a responsible life,  he/she should be praised tot he mountain-top at every possible opportunity.

Good for the Broyles.    I really do hope they live happy ever-after!            :thmup:

When I turned 18 a couple months after graduating from high school, I started playing online poker for 7 years off a $100 deposit and turned it into just over $250,000 in 7 years. I bought a house with that money and went to college for my accounting degree. Now since the Full Tilt scandal and the ban of online poker (a few sites still do it, but the population of players is very low and not very profitable), I only play part time and have to recently work for a living. I make about $70,000 a year (a bit more or less if I win a poker tourney now and then), and when you have a set income, it's a bit harder. I'm fortunate I was able to buy a house with my winning and investments while poker was in a boom period. Now it's tougher, and Ryan Broyles also seems to be doing well after busting from the NFL. Good for him. This isn't the biggest story in the world as far as news, but it's a good example for the rest of us.

With kids, 60,000 is not enough.  I should say 6 kids. :)  I would not change anything in the way we have saved money.  I have bee retired for 7 years...I am 50.  I am the luckiest man alive.  Love my family.

BTW.....we do not have to have millions to live.  I do applaud Broyles for making that money 'work' for him.

I applaud this, I know people who are not pro athletes that live paycheck to paycheck because they can't wrap their head around saving money, hell even the people I work with, almost none of them have any retirement savings other than their 401k. It must be extremely hard to have 3 million dollars in the bank, and be living in a modest house driving mazda's.

Ehh without reading the article I would point out that it is worthwhile to admire their self dicipline in that regard.  While I'm not saying "oh wow he's really cutting corners" or anything like that, I have to say most people if you give them a lot of money would spend it all.  Getting that money and putting most of it away is very disciplined financial behavior.

If you gave everyone in the US 3 million dollars, maybe a couple percent would spend 60k a year or less.  I spend over 60k a year and make a whole lot less than Broyles does.  I save as well, but not anywhere near the same extent.  

With kids, 60,000 is not enough.  I should say 6 kids. :)  I would not change anything in the way we have saved money.  I have bee retired for 7 years...I am 50.  I am the luckiest man alive.  Love my family.

BTW.....we do not have to have millions to live.  I do applaud Broyles for making that money 'work' for him.

Holy Cow?!     Wow?!

You have 6 kids and you've retired at 50?!?!?         You're the new poster boy for good saving!!

Would you please be kind enough to adopt my wife and I?!?     We'll be right over!

Heck I give him credit!! Not for living reasonably but getting his WIFE to buy in. I WISH I could get my wife to limit her spending to 60k a year lol. Thank goodness we put 15% a piece back before taxes or it would all be gone lol....dang Ulta/Pier1/Express.

Holy Cow?!     Wow?!

You have 6 kids and you've retired at 50?!?!?         You're the new poster boy for good saving!!

Would you please be kind enough to adopt my wife and I?!?     We'll be right over!

If you come to Indy, you are more than welcome to come over NewColtsFan.  I really retired in 2008 to take care of ailing parents.  

Dad taught me the savings aspect of life.  He retired in 1982...and lived until 2015.  That is a pretty long time.  He never made a lot of money.  I was the one playing basketball with green plastic shoes.  I was called for travelling every time I touched the ball and did not make my 5th grade.  HA HA!  :)  

If you come to Indy, you are more than welcome to come over NewColtsFan.  I really retired in 2008 to take care of ailing parents.  

Dad taught me the savings aspect of life.  He retired in 1982...and lived until 2015.  That is a pretty long time.  He never made a lot of money.  I was the one playing basketball with green plastic shoes.  I was called for travelling every time I touched the ball and did not make my 5th grade.  HA HA!   :)

I feel for you, Brent Mc....   the taking care of ailing parents....    Glad you could do it,  but it's not easy.

My 89 year old Mother in Law lives with my wife and I and she needs lots and lots and lots of care and attention.

My 90 year old Father lives about a half hour away and I have to keep a close eye on him too.    He needs a lot of attention as well,  but won't accept it from anyone!     Go figure?!

Still......   I'm impressed at all you've been able to do on so many levels.

Call me a fan!      And if I ever get to Indy,  we're definitely meeting!        :thmup:

Dad taught me the savings aspect of life.  He retired in 1982...and lived until 2015.  That is a pretty long time.  He never made a lot of money.  I was the one playing basketball with green plastic shoes.  I was called for travelling every time I touched the ball and did not make my 5th grade.  HA HA!   :)

You're a good man Brent, an upstanding husband, a master chef, & quite the role model man. Oh & dog rescue trainer too. Brent the Jack of all trades indeed. 

I feel for you, Brent Mc....   the taking care of ailing parents....    Glad you could do it,  but it's not easy.

My 89 year old Mother in Law lives with my wife and I and she needs lots and lots and lots of care and attention.

My 90 year old Father lives about a half hour away and I have to keep a close eye on him too.    He needs a lot of attention as well,  but won't accept it from anyone!     Go figure?!

Call me a fan!      And if I ever get to Indy,  we're definitely meeting!        :thmup:

That says a lot about your care & commitment too NCF along with your wife as well. Bravo! I really get a kick out of the friendships & mutual admiration societies fostered on the Forum too. Cool stuff! 

I applaud any individual who takes care of other family members NCF. Let me tip my hat to ya.  :hat:

The hardest part for people as they age I think is to accept help in some cases because they feel like part of their independence is slipping away which is a hard reality pill for some to accept & swallow. I know this as a disabled individual myself & undergoing physical therapy to devise different ways to do things that a lot of people take for granted. I'm not trying to evoke sympathy here. I'm just saying that I know 1st hand what independence really is & what it means when you have to put pride aside & ask for assistance doing things I can't do from friends & family once in awhile. 

In any case, I mostly commend your patience & understanding NCF. Thank you. 

Thank you very much.  With school starting, I get homework duty.  :)  Only 5 kids still in school  :)  

I think it would be great if you headed this way!!  I am impressed as well with you taking care of Mom in house.  That is tough as well.  

My dad was 80 when he fell off of a ladder 13 feet.  Massive head injury.  In one millisecond our lives changed forever.  

You're a good man Brent, an upstanding husband, a master chef, & quite the role model man. Oh & dog rescue trainer too. Brent the Jack of all trades indeed. 

Thank you buddy.  It is funny what you said about aging.  I am teaching Emma how to drive so she can drive me around in 30 years....:)

The only reason athletes like him get exposure is we are use to guys like Allen Iverson or Antoine Walker who end up broke as can be after making millions.

You're definitely being that guy.

I don't see this as newsworthy, and I mostly don't care about the personal lives of pro athletes or other celebrities. But I don't see why it's necessary to * on the example of someone who is doing the right thing.

If you haven't already, you should watch "Broke," the 30 for 30 special on athletes blowing all their money. It's not typical for a young person who suddenly comes into relative wealth to make smart financial decisions. For that reason alone, it's a good thing to publicize and praise people like Broyles (or Gronk) who are trying to set themselves up for sustained financial success.

One of the points that was made in "Broke" is that people who are wealthy have usually earned their wealth over a long period of time, they know what it's like to be a struggling, starving entrepreneur, they know what it means to budget, to go without, etc. And by the time they really start making some money, they're older (middle aged, even), they've gained some maturity and perspective, they have serious responsibilities on a day to day basis, and they are beyond the urge to go out and blow their money in night clubs, on cars, on women, on risky business ventures, etc.

Contrast that with a 21 year old who has been praised for his athletic ability for as long as he can remember, received special treatment, etc., and now all of a sudden, he's making high six figures straight out of college, at least. He's running with people just a few years older than him who are making millions, who are buying cars and jewelry and whatnot. He doesn't have any real appreciation for money because, in his mind, he'll always make more. 

One guy takes his lumps, then makes his money after he knows what to do with it. The other guy make his money as a young man, creates an expensive lifestyle, and then once his career is over (which for most of them is sooner, rather than later), his income is drastically reduced for the rest of his life. No wonder so many of them wind up broke shortly after they get done playing.

So again, it's a good thing that people like Ryan Broyles get some publicity for being smart and responsible. Hopefully it helps others to make similar decisions.

The only reason athletes like him get exposure is we are use to guys like Allen Iverson or Antoine Walker who end up broke as can be after making millions.

So since some people do really stupid things and make really bad decisions, we should celebrate the ones who don't?

You're definitely being that guy.

I don't see this as newsworthy, and I mostly don't care about the personal lives of pro athletes or other celebrities. But I don't see why it's necessary to * on the example of someone who is doing the right thing.

If you haven't already, you should watch "Broke," the 30 for 30 special on athletes blowing all their money. It's not typical for a young person who suddenly comes into relative wealth to make smart financial decisions. For that reason alone, it's a good thing to publicize and praise people like Broyles (or Gronk) who are trying to set themselves up for sustained financial success.

One of the points that was made in "Broke" is that people who are wealthy have usually earned their wealth over a long period of time, they know what it's like to be a struggling, starving entrepreneur, they know what it means to budget, to go without, etc. And by the time they really start making some money, they're older (middle aged, even), they've gained some maturity and perspective, they have serious responsibilities on a day to day basis, and they are beyond the urge to go out and blow their money in night clubs, on cars, on women, on risky business ventures, etc.

Contrast that with a 21 year old who has been praised for his athletic ability for as long as he can remember, received special treatment, etc., and now all of a sudden, he's making high six figures straight out of college, at least. He's running with people just a few years older than him who are making millions, who are buying cars and jewelry and whatnot. He doesn't have any real appreciation for money because, in his mind, he'll always make more. 

One guy takes his lumps, then makes his money after he knows what to do with it. The other guy make his money as a young man, creates an expensive lifestyle, and then once his career is over (which for most of them is sooner, rather than later), his income is drastically reduced for the rest of his life. No wonder so many of them wind up broke shortly after they get done playing.

So again, it's a good thing that people like Ryan Broyles get some publicity for being smart and responsible. Hopefully it helps others to make similar decisions.

I've seen bits and pieces of Broke.  All it did was reinforce to me that you have to be really stupid and make a lot of bad, irresponsible decisions to go broke after making millions.  You don't need an excellent upbringing to know you should save money and that NFL careers don't last forever.  It doesn't take a genius to know that hiring a financial manager could be a good investment.  You can't take the blame off of these guys just because they may have come from a difficult background.  Common sense tells you now to go out and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in one night or to buy excessive, unnecessary items.

You want to give someone publicity for being smart and responsible?  Really?  I dunno about you, but I just expect people to not do stupid things.  If we're going to give Broyles publicity for doing responsible things, why don't we give this one guy in my neighbourhood some publicity for taking care of his kids, unlike Adrian Peterson?  Why don't we give my co-worker publicity for not shooting himself in the leg, unlike Plaxico?  Why not give my friend credit for not knocking his girlfriend unconscious, unlike Ray Rice?  If Broyles or Gronk deserve publicity for making responsible financial decisions, then surely the people I just listed deserve publicity for making responsible decisions.  You want to give people credit for doing something they should just be doing normally.  I expect people (especially those with plenty of resources at their disposal, like NFL players get) to make responsible decisions.  I'll never understand why athletes and celebrities are put on these pedestals and get media attention for doing things most people just do.

So since some people do really stupid things and make really bad decisions, we should celebrate the ones who don't?

I've seen bits and pieces of Broke.  All it did was reinforce to me that you have to be really stupid and make a lot of bad, irresponsible decisions to go broke after making millions.  You don't need an excellent upbringing to know you should save money and that NFL careers don't last forever.  It doesn't take a genius to know that hiring a financial manager could be a good investment.  You can't take the blame off of these guys just because they may have come from a difficult background.  Common sense tells you now to go out and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in one night or to buy excessive, unnecessary items.

You want to give someone publicity for being smart and responsible?  Really?  I dunno about you, but I just expect people to not do stupid things.  If we're going to give Broyles publicity for doing responsible things, why don't we give this one guy in my neighbourhood some publicity for taking care of his kids, unlike Adrian Peterson?  Why don't we give my co-worker publicity for not shooting himself in the leg, unlike Plaxico?  Why not give my friend credit for not knocking his girlfriend unconscious, unlike Ray Rice?  If Broyles or Gronk deserve publicity for making responsible financial decisions, then surely the people I just listed deserve publicity for making responsible decisions.  You want to give people credit for doing something they should just be doing normally.  I expect people (especially those with plenty of resources at their disposal, like NFL players get) to make responsible decisions.  I'll never understand why athletes and celebrities are put on these pedestals and get media attention for doing things most people just do.

I said nothing about being geniuses, nothing about upbringing, difficult backgrounds, or shifting blame away from the people making bad decisions. Let's not make this into something it's not.

I also said nothing about idolizing professional athletes just for doing normal stuff.

What I said is that young players who make smart decisions with their money deserve credit for doing so. I (again) didn't say anything about celebrating them or putting them on a pedestal. 

Common sense says you don't need to spend $150K on a car, yet how many AMGs does Mercedez sell every year? Buying expensive luxury items is counter to common sense entirely, but it happens frequently. People with money buy expensive things. Yet, young people with money have trouble with discipline and budgeting, especially when it comes to decisions that will have long term consequences. Surely that's not a foreign concept, right? Young guy in the locker room, the other guys have fancy cars... 'I just got a $1m signing bonus, I can afford a $150K sports car...' Doesn't make it smart, but the math works. 

Nobody pays attention to your neighbor, co-worker or friend doing the right thing because no one knows who they are. Same goes for when they do the wrong thing. I'm not sure why that means no one should care when someone we do know about is making smart decisions. 

Our society has a habit of discussing bad behavior and outright ignoring good behavior. 

As an example; Does it sound silly to praise someone's young adult child for having a job and never having gone to jail? 

How silly does it sound when that young adult grew up in a gang infested inner city? 

We SHOULD take note of good behavior, with every opportunity. 

Thank you buddy.  It is funny what you said about aging.  I am teaching Emma how to drive so she can drive me around in 30 years.... :)

No problem my man. I've got your back. You're pretty funny yourself Brent. Like the old saying goes, "Be nice to your kids because they determine the quality of your nursing home down the line. " 

I'm sure Emma will be a fine driver under your instruction & guidance Brent. It's really cool to hear how tight meaning close you & your family are. Happy for ya man. 

Our society has a habit of discussing bad behavior and outright ignoring good behavior. 

As an example; Does it sound silly to praise someone's young adult child for having a job and never having gone to jail? 

How silly does it sound when that young adult grew up in a gang infested inner city? 

We SHOULD take note of good behavior, with every opportunity. 

Well put Ruksak. I agree 100% Not a knock on 21isSuperman either who is a darn nice dude from Canada. 

When I turned 18 a couple months after graduating from high school, I started playing online poker for 7 years off a $100 deposit and turned it into just over $250,000 in 7 years. I bought a house with that money and went to college for my accounting degree. Now since the Full Tilt scandal and the ban of online poker (a few sites still do it, but the population of players is very low and not very profitable), I only play part time and have to recently work for a living. I make about $70,000 a year (a bit more or less if I win a poker tourney now and then), and when you have a set income, it's a bit harder. I'm fortunate I was able to buy a house with my winning and investments while poker was in a boom period. Now it's tougher, and Ryan Broyles also seems to be doing well after busting from the NFL. Good for him. This isn't the biggest story in the world as far as news, but it's a good example for the rest of us.

I don't believe you lol

If you go for your CPA with your accounting degree you could couple it with your part time poker winnings and have yourself set up for a long time.

Source: am a CPA

Edited by 21isSuperman

Unfortunately, too many people make less than 60,000 a year and live on 75,000 a year