Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson on Dan Dakich Show

shakedownstreet

I haven't read the article yet nor did I listen but let me see if I can summarize:

• Camp has been energetic and he likes what he's seeing
  • But they still have a lot of work to do to get where they want to be.
  • Focused right now on getting better but the ultimate goal is the SB.
  • Young players are coming along well and he's excited to see what they can do in a game situtation.
  • The free agents they signed are fitting in well they are real "Colts" type guys.  The old guys are rejuvenated.
  • Some exciting things in the works for the offense.
  • Some exciting things in the works for the defense.
  • Rookies have surprised him with how far along they are.
  • But they (the rookies) still have a lot of work to do.
  • The players we all expect has really established himself as a leader.

That's about all I can think of.

I haven't read the article yet nor did I listen but let me see if I can summarize:

• Focuses on sinning the Superbowl
  • Young players are coming along well and he's excited to see what they can do in a game situtation.
  • The free agents they signed are fitting in well they are real "Colts" type guys. The old guys are rejuvenated.

No, not really.

• The free agents they signed are fitting in well they are real "Colts" type guys. The old guys are rejuvenated.

I will give you the first two. The rest no.

What did you expect from him?

him to be a solid starter. He hasn't been that and I know I would come here last year after games with people talking how awesome he had played and think end he didn't impress me that much. Looks like Grigson hasn't been blown away by him either. I don't he's awful I just think his performance is over rated by people here at times.

him to be a solid starter. He hasn't been that and I know I would come here last year after games with people talking how awesome he had played and think end he didn't impress me that much. Looks like Grigson hasn't been blown away by him either. I don't he's awful I just think his performance is over rated by people here at times.

All I hear around here is people talking about how bad he is. I don't know how he could be overrated.

Truth is that he's fine as a nose tackle. The most damage done against us on the ground was when he was on the bench.

• The free agents they signed are fitting in well they are real "Colts" type guys.  The old guys are rejuvenated.

If you had listened, you would have noticed the part where Grigson calls Tom Brady a "girlie man," and he can't wait to face him in the octagon.

All I hear around here is people talking about how bad he is. I don't know how he could be overrated.

Truth is that he's fine as a nose tackle. The most damage done against us on the ground was when he was on the bench.

i know what I saw last year after games on here.

Judging by Grigson's comments he doesn't agree with you. At least he thinks he needs to play a higher level more often.

I've seen flashes from chapman at times but that's been about it flashes. That seems to echo Grigson's point of view based on that interview.

Judging by Grigson's comments he doesn't agree with you. At least he thinks he needs to play a higher level more often.

I've seen flashes from chapman at times but that's been about it flashes. That seems to echo Grigson's point of view based on that interview.

"Fine" doesn't mean he can't get better.

"Fine" doesn't mean he can't get better.

i never said he couldn't. I hope he does. I just said it looks like I am not the only person who hasn't been blown away with his play thus far.

Last year I would read after several games on here how awesome he had played when I was left scratching my head because I didn't think he had been that awesome. It's nice to see the GM appears to share the same point of view as me because I was wondering if I had been missing something.

Chapman is obviously a better player than Trent Richardson, but (and it must be an Alabama thing) he says all the right things yet doesn't necessarily do them as great as it sounds like he is going to.  I have always believed in him though and think he will get better. 

Grigson on Josh Chapman:

"Well Josh has got to show us that he can play, in this league, consistently at a championship level.  We know he knows what to do up there, we know that he's a smart player, but everyone on that defense needs to play at a winning level and a championship level.  So, by the first three days of practice, Josh is doing a great job, he's a great kid, but there is competition.  And nothing's going to be handed to anyone in this camp, and Chuck and I talk about it all the time.  It goes back to what he said from day one: man sharpens man as iron sharpens iron.  It's a cliché and all that stuff and everyone gets tired of hearing it, but that's the only way you get the right 22 guys out there on opening day."

His comments on the offensive line was interesting. He said that he's looking at the second line....young and athletic. He said it takes time for a line to develop. They've "bandaided" it for a couple years. He gives example of the great Dallas line about how they were cast offs and from smaller colleges etc. Couldn't come in in 2012 and draft 7 offensive linemen.

I sure hope he knows what he's doing with the line. I'll say this, from what I see, if Costanzo would go down we are in big big trouble. Everyone else is a big question mark. Mewhort moving over to RT and being a first year NFL tackle is going to be challenging enough let alone hoping that an oft injured vet plays back to form at G and hoping that the young guys develop is placing a lot faith in such a critical area. Maybe it all comes together this year?

His comments on the offensive line was interesting. He said that he's looking at the second line....young and athletic. He said it takes time for a line to develop. They've "bandaided" it for a couple years. He gives example of the great Dallas line about how they were cast offs and from smaller colleges etc. Couldn't come in in 2012 and draft 7 offensive linemen.

I sure hope he knows what he's doing with the line. I'll say this, from what I see, if Costanzo would go down we are in big big trouble. Everyone else is a big question mark. Mewhort moving over to RT and being a first year NFL tackle is going to be challenging enough let alone hoping that an oft injured vet plays back to form at G and hoping that the young guys develop is placing a lot faith in such a critical area. Maybe it all comes together this year?

I think it's fairly obvious that the best way to build an offensive line is to grow it in-house. Let guys get better together, over time, develop draft picks, plug and play when necessary, etc.It also requires good drafting and good coaching, and then again, you can't identify good drafting and coaching right away, so it requires patience. Fans aren't usually patient.

Grigson says he and Irsay talked about this in 2012 when he was hired, so evidently Irsay has a certain level of patience. Might be wearing thin at this point, but in theory, he understands that it takes time to build a good offensive line.

After that, Grigson launched into the history lesson with the old school Cowboys. I was surprised he didn't mention the current Cowboys. Their longest tenured starter is a former 4th rounder who didn't play until the second half of his third year, and since then he's played 30+ games at LT and 50+ games at RT. They've committed a lot of resources to the line -- three first round picks in the last five years. They're going to be really good for a long time at OL, but they had the resources to spend there, and have been spending them for several seasons now. That line didn't get good overnight, and for several seasons, they weren't very good in pass pro.

What they didn't do is go out and sign high-priced veteran linemen -- like the Titans, Saints, Dolphins, Bears, etc., teams that still don't have good line play. Add the Colts, who spent big on Cherilus and moderately on Thomas, but got little in return. Thankfully, Grigson also drafted some young, promising guys along the way. What the Colts shouldn't do is pull the plug on those guys without giving them a realistic chance to develop, especially when the primary issue with those guys has been injury considerations.

I think Grigson will continue committing draft resources to the line, and if guys like Thornton and Holmes (and others) don't really catch on and perform well, they'll be replaced. 

I think it's fairly obvious that the best way to build an offensive line is to grow it in-house. Let guys get better together, over time, develop draft picks, plug and play when necessary, etc.It also requires good drafting and good coaching, and then again, you can't identify good drafting and coaching right away, so it requires patience. Fans aren't usually patient.

Grigson says he and Irsay talked about this in 2012 when he was hired, so evidently Irsay has a certain level of patience. Might be wearing thin at this point, but in theory, he understands that it takes time to build a good offensive line.

After that, Grigson launched into the history lesson with the old school Cowboys. I was surprised he didn't mention the current Cowboys. Their longest tenured starter is a former 4th rounder who didn't play until the second half of his third year, and since then he's played 30+ games at LT and 50+ games at RT. They've committed a lot of resources to the line -- three first round picks in the last five years. They're going to be really good for a long time at OL, but they had the resources to spend there, and have been spending them for several seasons now. That line didn't get good overnight, and for several seasons, they weren't very good in pass pro.

What they didn't do is go out and sign high-priced veteran linemen -- like the Titans, Saints, Dolphins, Bears, etc., teams that still don't have good line play. Add the Colts, who spent big on Cherilus and moderately on Thomas, but got little in return. Thankfully, Grigson also drafted some young, promising guys along the way. What the Colts shouldn't do is pull the plug on those guys without giving them a realistic chance to develop, especially when the primary issue with those guys has been injury considerations.

I think Grigson will continue committing draft resources to the line, and if guys like Thornton and Holmes (and others) don't really catch on and perform well, they'll be replaced. 

So far RG has committed a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and three 7th round picks in 4 total drafts to the offensive line. That's not what I would call investing heavily from the draft. I realize there were a lot of holes to fill though. He inherited our best and most consistent and durable offensive linemen. I would say its time for RG's guys to start playing better.

So far RG has committed a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and three 7th round picks in 4 total drafts to the offensive line. That's not what I would call investing heavily from the draft. I realize there were a lot of holes to fill though. He inherited our best and most consistent and durable offensive linemen. I would say its time for RG's guys to start playing better.

I don't think I suggested he has invested heavily in the line, especially with draft picks. He has invested, though.

so do I, and it was mostly talk about how horrible chapman is because the run defense "sucks".  Chapman isn't a pro bowler by any means and more than anything needs to improve his stamina, but he is not nearly as bad as many try to make him out to be either (not referring to you with your posts in this thread).  

This is not your first day in school.

You're good!            :thmup:

Grigson on Josh Chapman:

"Well Josh has got to show us that he can play, in this league, consistently at a championship level.  We know he knows what to do up there, we know that he's a smart player, but everyone on that defense needs to play at a winning level and a championship level.  So, by the first three days of practice, Josh is doing a great job, he's a great kid, but there is competition.  And nothing's going to be handed to anyone in this camp, and Chuck and I talk about it all the time.  It goes back to what he said from day one: man sharpens man as iron sharpens iron.  It's a cliché and all that stuff and everyone gets tired of hearing it, but that's the only way you get the right 22 guys out there on opening day."

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/8/5/9102171/colts-general-manager-ryan-grigson-talks-donald-thomas-hugh-thornton-josh-chapman-bjoern-werner

I checked and WNDE doesn't have the audio up from today's interview but Phil B. was on WNDE this afternoon and Jake Query asked him which Colt that started for them last year had the best chance of being released and Phil B's answer was Chapman.  Phil B. didn't seem to think that the Colts were impressed enough with what they had seen from him or Werner.  Phil B. said he doesn't think Grigson is ready to admit failure on a first round pick yet which is why he went with Chapman over Werner but also pointed out the Colts trading up to draft a DT in the draft this year was a sign that the Colts were not over impressed with Chapman's play.  It's also worth mentioning that Phil B. also felt Thornton was in trouble this year and that Lance Louis being at left guard right now says more about how the Colts feel about Thornton than it does about how the Colts feel about Louis even though the Colts are high on Louis.

With that said I really do hope Chapman gets better and is there answer at NT.  I would really like him to become what the Colts fans hoped he would become when he was drafted. 

Interesting to hear that the Colts tried hard to sign La'el Collins. Would have been nice.

Didn't we have like a compensatory 7th rd pick this year. I know he said he wouldn't have signed but I think he was bluffing. Even if he tried to hold out we could have easily traded the kid....and if that investigation turned up something bad we release a statement that we believed in the kid and the process of innocent til proven guilty. A 7th rd pick on a SB caliber team isn't likely to make the team anyways. I understand not taking a guy like Gregory high etc...but Collins late...those are times to reach out and do some homework and go after a flyer.

Can we sign Evan Mathis already?

I cringe every time I see Lance Louis running with the starters...

you might want to get used to that cringe feeling because I think Louis will be the starter this year(Going into the season...I don't think he stays the starter) at this point with Donald Thomas probably not going to be ready and the team inexplicably liking Reitz as the 6th Lineman....Maybe Thornton starts however

you might want to get used to that cringe feeling because I think Louis will be the starter this year(Going into the season...I don't think he stays the starter) at this point with Donald Thomas probably not going to be ready and the team inexplicably liking Reitz as the 6th Lineman....Maybe Thornton starts however

Lance Louis is just horrible. The fact that Hugh Thornton may not beat him out for the starting role is just mind boggling to me. I would take a healthy Donald Thomas over the two of them, but I don't think that man exists.