Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"What you trade me for" -- Vontae highlight

CR91

establishment as a top 5 corner... complete... quest for #1...begin.

Emmanuel Sanders in the NFL top 100 said Revis was #1 and Vontae was handsdown number 2 best CB in league.  I tend to agree with him.  I think we're 2-3 years away from Vontae being the top dog.

if there's one thing Davis is bad at, it's catching the football...dude would have had at least 8 INT's this year if he didn't drop so many.

Davis actually has pretty good hands for a CB -- I don't think he has WR hands, but he has made some incredible catches -- he doesn't drop a lot of easy ones, but there are some where I doubt they are called drops on the stat line where he gets his hands on but would be a completely ridiculous catch if he made it.

Emmanuel Sanders in the NFL top 100 said Revis was #1 and Vontae was handsdown number 2 best CB in league.  I tend to agree with him.  I think we're 2-3 years away from Vontae being the top dog.

Davis actually has pretty good hands for a CB -- I don't think he has WR hands, but he has made some incredible catches -- he doesn't drop a lot of easy ones, but there are some where I doubt they are called drops on the stat line where he gets his hands on but would be a completely ridiculous catch if he made it.

Errr... his hands are kind of made of stone lol.  But that's completely fine when every receiver he covers never gets to see the light of day :)

Errr... his hands are kind of made of stone lol.  But that's completely fine when every receiver he covers never gets to see the light of day :)

He has made some pretty incredible interceptions.  He has dropped some as well, but many of the 'drops' were balls that would have been tremendous catches had he made them. 

really? davis is more of a body catcher and when he has to use his hands he kinda struggles. see the INT vs ravens. that should have just been caught immediately but he bobbled and nearly dropped it. Then see the dropped INT vs the broncos in the playoffs, went right through his hands and hit him in the numbers and then hit the ground.

really? davis is more of a body catcher and when he has to use his hands he kinda struggles. see the INT vs ravens. that should have just been caught immediately but he bobbled and nearly dropped it. Then see the dropped INT vs the broncos in the playoffs, went right through his hands and hit him in the numbers and then hit the ground.

He still caught the ball vs. the Ravens using his body.  Look through the OP's video.  The first interception right in the beginning was an amazing use of his hands.  At 2:15, 2:50, 2:57, 3:10, 3:15, and 3:35 he also makes some very good catches using his hands (2 or 3 of them would have been highlight reel catches if a WR made them).  Like I said, I think he 'actually has pretty good hands for a CB', though 'I don't think he has WR hands'.  Vontae rarely gets thrown at, and it isn't his job to be a WR -- he does well in most cases when he has a catchable ball, though he has the occassional drop.  In most cases, when he gets his hands on the ball he is knocking it down because it is in an uncatchable scenario.  I am not claiming he has great hands, I just don't think it is something to complain about and he doesn't 'drop so many' like you suggest.  He 'nearly dropped' the INT vs. Baltimore which doesn't count because he caught it, and he had a couple of other drops but it isn't like it is a major cause of concern.

He still caught the ball vs. the Ravens using his body.  Look through the OP's video.  The first interception right in the beginning was an amazing use of his hands.  At 2:15, 2:50, 2:57, 3:10, 3:15, and 3:35 he also makes some very good catches using his hands (2 or 3 of them would have been highlight reel catches if a WR made them).  Like I said, I think he 'actually has pretty good hands for a CB', though 'I don't think he has WR hands'.  Vontae rarely gets thrown at, and it isn't his job to be a WR -- he does well in most cases when he has a catchable ball, though he has the occassional drop.  In most cases, when he gets his hands on the ball he is knocking it down because it is in an uncatchable scenario.  I am not claiming he has great hands, I just don't think it is something to complain about and he doesn't 'drop so many' like you suggest.  He 'nearly dropped' the INT vs. Baltimore which doesn't count because he caught it, and he had a couple of other drops but it isn't like it is a major cause of concern.

of course it isn't a concern. but just imagine if vontae had richard shermans hands....he would've had at least 8 INT's last year.

well, the dolphins traded him because of poor work ethic. Apparently he would stay out partying alot and it was just the city vibe.

A change of scenery definitely helped Vontae for the better. And i dont think Vontae really meant what they were trading him for, he asked WHY they were trading him. Philbin answered the question wrong. lol.

Like the old saying goes..... they play defense when they can't catch

pretty much this.  he would be a WR if he had great hands.  they make a little bit more money(source is the franchise tag amount) and the rules favor offense

sherman played WR though

he switched due to team need in college.  makes you wonder if he could have been an impact WR in the league.  i think he could have been but he commited to the switch and its hard to master two trades

Your argument is contradictory. You say he's a body catcher not a hands catcher, but your examples prove otherwise.

well, the dolphins traded him because of poor work ethic. Apparently he would stay out partying alot and it was just the city vibe.

A change of scenery definitely helped Vontae for the better. And i dont think Vontae really meant what they were trading him for, he asked WHY they were trading him. Philbin answered the question wrong. lol.

You read my mind bap1331. I can't say it any better than you just did. Nice work! 

That video makes me wonder if Coach Philbin can't listen or is more of an owner's buddy front office caboose kisser than a player locker room guy. I view the whole Incognito scandal in a new light now & Philbin looks quite absent minded now. JMO.