Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Cole rejuvenated in Indy

RockThatBlue

This is what I've been telling people. You see this often. A really good player will slow down a bit, then sign with a new team and have the best year of his career. I think Cole's going to be a beast this season. Look for him to put up 10 sacks or more. Especially if Mathis isn't his old self. Cole and Newsome will be awesome together.

If someone offered me $1mil to hit a QB, I'm swan diving over offensive linemen to get to that QB

Love the passion in your response that made me chuckle TK. Regarding Mr. Cole, I'm happy he's motivated & I embrace him with open arms. Now go put Big Ben & Brady on their backs. Excellent Trent. 

If someone offered me $1mil to hit a QB, I'm swan diving over offensive linemen to get to that QB

Oh man... I would be a rabid dog out there foaming at the mouth to kill the QB for that. Of course that's just me thinking what it would be like. lol

Oh man... I would be a rabid dog out there foaming at the mouth to kill the QB for that. Of course that's just me thinking what it would be like. lol

I'd be doing the same thing.....unfortunately, with me being 37 and NOT a freak athlete...getting to the QB might be a bit difficult.

He has a $1 Million incentive in his contract if he hits 10 sacks I think. He'll be motivated.

10 sacks for a player on a new team at age 32 is extremely hard to do though, so I doubt he will see that money. For comparison, look at Freeney's sack totals each season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3539/dwight-freeney

You'll notice how they fall off his final years in Indy (obviously injury-related), and with San Diego he's practically non-existent. In Freeney's good years, he sometimes barely put up 10 sacks. This is all despite the fact Freeney's job was a pass rusher who was never dropped into coverage in our Dungy 4-3 defense. Now Indy is asking a 32 year old Trent Cole on a new team on a 3-4 defense to get 10 sacks? Yea, good luck with that, Trent! Good move by Grigson knowing Trent will never see that money. Plus, with our juggernaut offense, we may get to bench our starters a game or two when we're up 40+ pts.

Sick em pgt_rob; Sick em...Good Boy. Woof! Can I call you Cujo for your nickname too? Just a thought.

Pagano did say "Let's hunt" when he was hired as the new HC here so I'm sure he's down with that mentality 100%

Sick em pgt_rob; Sick em...Good Boy. Woof! Can I call you Cujo for your nickname too? Just a thought.

Pagano did say "Let's hunt" when he was hired as the new HC here so I'm sure he's down with that mentality 100%

:lol:  Sure, SW1, call me what you will! haha

10 sacks for a player on a new team at age 32 is extremely hard to do though, so I doubt he will see that money. For comparison, look at Freeney's sack totals each season.

You'll notice how they fall off his final years in Indy (obviously injury-related), and with San Diego he's practically non-existent. In Freeney's good years, he sometimes barely put up 10 sacks. This is all despite the fact Freeney's job was a pass rusher who was never dropped into coverage in our Dungy 4-3 defense. Now Indy is asking a 32 year old Trent Cole on a new team on a 3-4 defense to get 10 sacks? Yea, good luck with that, Trent! Good move by Grigson knowing Trent will never see that money. Plus, with our juggernaut offense, we may get to bench our starters a game or two when we're up 40+ pts.

In regards to the 3-4 comments, the Eagles ran a base 3-4 defense last year.  They are not really asking him to do much of anything that is foreign. The Freeney example is not the end all be all.  You've got guys like Mathis and Peppers who are still productive beyond that age range.  Most of Coles career he's averaged between 8 to 12.5 on the high end so I don't think the million dollar incentive is unrealistic for him. Numbers have dipped the last 3 years or so, but there's other factors beyond age that can play in to that.  We'll see what happens!  I'm more excited about the increased talent that we have in our pass rushing group as a whole.

It would be funny to see if he has 9 sacks going into the last game that may mean nothing and Pagano tells him to grab some bench.

Mathis and Cole, the new version of Mathis and Freeney? I hope

Don't forget we've got Newsome, too.

I imagine Manusky will be able to get creative on 3rd and long situations by putting all 3 on the field.  Coupled with Kendall Langford who is a better pass-rusher than RJF was and a healthy and trimmer Art Jones, our pass rush should be very much improved.

I am hopeful that Werner will step up his pass-rush game (he was a split-second away from a sack on many occassions last year).  Then who knows if Adongo will have improved at all, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Throw in the fact that we don't have Landry any more, and it sounds like D'Joun Smith might make a serious push to beat out Butler for the 3rd CB spot, and it seems like we have an improved secondary.  Secondary play and pass rush go hand in hand -- an improved rush means less time for the DBs to cover so it helps their game, and improved coverage means the QB might have to hold the ball a second or two longer and it helps our pass rushers' game.

I imagine Manusky will be able to get creative on 3rd and long situations by putting all 3 on the field.  Coupled with Kendall Langford who is a better pass-rusher than RJF was and a healthy and trimmer Art Jones, our pass rush should be very much improved.

I am hopeful that Werner will step up his pass-rush game (he was a split-second away from a sack on many occassions last year).  Then who knows if Adongo will have improved at all, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Throw in the fact that we don't have Landry any more, and it sounds like D'Joun Smith might make a serious push to beat out Butler for the 3rd CB spot, and it seems like we have an improved secondary.  Secondary play and pass rush go hand in hand -- an improved rush means less time for the DBs to cover so it helps their game, and improved coverage means the QB might have to hold the ball a second or two longer and it helps our pass rushers' game.

I'm looking to see how Cam Johnson, Zach Hodges, and Adongo play into the mix.  We've got a lot of guys to work with. It'll be interesting to see who they can and can't keep.  Being that Grigson believes you can never have enough pass rushers I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep more guys than we would normally carry at the position.

I'm looking to see how Cam Johnson, Zach Hodges, and Adongo play into the mix.  We've got a lot of guys to work with. It'll be interesting to see who they can and can't keep.  Being that Grigson believes you can never have enough pass rushers I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep more guys than we would normally carry at the position.

That's how Seattle beat Denver in the Super Bowl....their pass rush was relentless...they had so much depth there that they just kept coming

I imagine Manusky will be able to get creative on 3rd and long situations by putting all 3 on the field. Coupled with Kendall Langford who is a better pass-rusher than RJF was and a healthy and trimmer Art Jones, our pass rush should be very much improved.

I am hopeful that Werner will step up his pass-rush game (he was a split-second away from a sack on many occassions last year). Then who knows if Adongo will have improved at all, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Throw in the fact that we don't have Landry any more, and it sounds like D'Joun Smith might make a serious push to beat out Butler for the 3rd CB spot, and it seems like we have an improved secondary. Secondary play and pass rush go hand in hand -- an improved rush means less time for the DBs to cover so it helps their game, and improved coverage means the QB might have to hold the ball a second or two longer and it helps our pass rushers' game.

Butler is one if the best nickel cornerbacks in the league, it'll be a tough task for Smith to beat him out

Butler is one if the best nickel cornerbacks in the league, it'll be a tough task for Smith to beat him out

It will be tough for him to beat him out, but from everything I've seen and read, it sounds like Smith is the real deal.  If anything, he'll most likely be better than Gordy was in a 4th CB role.  I have a feeling Smith is gonna stick around this league for a while.

It would be funny to see if he has 9 sacks going into the last game that may mean nothing and Pagano tells him to grab some bench.

You guys seem to have the wrong idea about incentives. Coachs and gms WANT players to reach their goals, they are meant to be difficult but reachable.

Last year nicks had a big incentive if he had 5 tds. Going into the final game he had 4, and they threw it to him in the endzone, trying to get him his money in a meaning less game