Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

job status update of grigs and pags

CR91

In my opinion Grigs has done a solid job as GM, Pags on other hand not so much, ill give him 1 more year before i pass to much judgment but seems to me he is much better suited as a DC or assistant coach than HC. His in game adjustments have been awful, but hes still fairly new at this so hopefully he will get better. He is great at motivating his players though and seems to be a good teacher so i really hope he can put it all together.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, June 8, 2015 - dupe
Hidden by Superman, June 8, 2015 - dupe

In my opinion Grigs has done a solid job as GM, Pags on other hand not so much, ill give him 1 more year before i pass to much judgment but seems to me he is much better suited as a DC or assistant coach than HC. His in game adjustments have been awful, but hes still fairly new at this so hopefully he will get better. He is great at motivating his players though and seems to be a good teacher so i really hope he can put it all together.

There are at least 4 responses in this thread about Pagano's "in game adjustments" and in my humble opinion, none of those taking this position can speak with any degree of certainty that this is a problem at all.  It is just fan-speak nonsense that routinely gets thrown around like it is a fact.

There are at least 4 responses in this thread about Pagano's "in game adjustments" and in my humble opinion, none of those taking this position can speak with any degree of certainty that this is a problem at all.  It is just fan-speak nonsense that routinely gets thrown around like it is a fact.

In my expert opinion....what he really needs are his wartime epaulets.

maxresdefault_zpszf2m47wm.jpg

If people want to replace Pagano, who are your candidates to replace him with?  These things go hand in hand...

I agree, ColtsBlueFL! Just who would replace him? Pagano's not going anywhere. People forget easily. 2-14. Three years later, they're playing in the AFCCG. And it wasn't all luck. (NPI) Big part, but not all.

Makes no difference who the GM or Coach is. If you do not have one of the top six QBs in the league your chances of winning the superbowl are slim to none. Imagine the Colts without Luck, Pats without Brady , Seahawks without Wilson or Packers without Rogers. The fall to mediocrity would be very swift.

Makes no difference who the GM or Coach is. If you do not have one of the top six QBs in the league your chances of winning the superbowl are slim to none. Imagine the Colts without Luck, Pats without Brady , Seahawks without Wilson or Packers without Rogers. The fall to mediocrity would be very swift.

BB won with matt freakin cassel

Wilson is probably top-10, but it would be very hard to place him in the top-6.  Acting like Seattle would be screwed without him is kinda crazy,

Being one of the most injured teams the last few years hasn't helped him much but

the 3 or 4 blowouts last season raises an eyebrow on this subject.

In those games we were just smashed in the mouth on the lines, save Pitt, they

just had a better offensive scheme and Pags had no answer.

Being one of the most injured teams the last few years hasn't helped him much but

the 3 or 4 blowouts last season raises an eyebrow on this subject.

In those games we were just smashed in the mouth on the lines, save Pitt, they

just had a better offensive scheme and Pags had no answer.

As I was saying...

so how did guys like brad johnson and trent dilfer win a super bowl

Belichik won with Matt Cassell because he's Bill Belichick.    Notice Cassell hasn't done nearly as well away from New England.

Dilfer won a Super Bowl because he had the backing of (A) one of the best defense's of all-time, and (B) a great running game with Jamal Lewis.

Johnson won with the same formula, a great defense and a great running game,  but Johnson actually was pretty decent and had his best year that year and that year was really good.

If people want to replace Pagano, who are your candidates to replace him with?  These things go hand in hand...

Yep, and we should not forget that it's not just a change of personnel. A new HC will not only bring his own taff with him, but he will bring his offensive and defensive philosophy along with them. New scheme to learn, getting rid of players who do not fit in their scheme and bringing in new players who do, etc. I'm not saying that it will be inevitably the same complete overhaul as it was 3 years ago, but it will be nevertheless a big change, which will take time get in full speed. A year or two at least. Probably more.

The Colts spent already 3 years of Luck's carreer to build a championship caliber team. They got closer each year. I'd hate to spend another few years of his time for a new start unless it's proven and obvious that Pagano can't bring this team to championship. I do think that he had his fair share of mistakes, but generally I like what he's been doing here so far. And I don't see those in-game adjustment issues that some of you guys mentioned. Actually, I think Pagano is quite good in that area. His decisions - kick a FG or go for it, challenges, timeouts, onside kicks, etc, - are mostly on spot, his timing is good. And the Colts had the most - or one of the most - late comeback victories in the last 3 years. This could not have happened if the coaching staff was bad at these aspects of the game.

All in all, the Colts played and usually plays well againt good teams, they've beaten Denver twice, beate SF, Seattle, Green Bay, Detroit, Baltimore, etc. The only "bothering" thing is the beatdowns by the Patriots. That really hurts. But the reasons behind those beatdowns are somewhat understandable. The Patriots were just terrible matchups for the Colts so far. To beat them, it is absolutelly necessary to have at least a decent defensive line / linebacker corp, and a decent running game (with a decent offensive line). Not necessarily an elit one, but at least decent in each. We had none. We had no running game, we had a patchwork oline, we had a healthy scratch dline, we had problems rushing the passer, etc.

How to fix them? We all know the recipe. The Colts have to improve in all those aspects of the game. I don't think that we are as far as the scores indicate. Despite the beatdowns, I believe a little improvement here and there would do wonders. A little better running game to control the clock, a little better dline to stop 1-2 drives, a little better RZ defense so they have to kick FG-s instead of TD-s, etc., and the game is already close, so we do not have to pass that many, our offense won't be that predictable, etc. I think the Colts are moving at the right direction. We'll see how that will pan out, but I'm definitelly more optimistic this year than any year since probably 2010.

Grigs build the lines plz., on 08 Jun 2015 - 1:44 PM, said:

DEFENSE! All they had to do was manage the offense, make solid

decisions on the field, not * up and allow their defenses win them

games.

The same could arguably be said about Wilson. I am in no way saying that he is mediocre and I agree with bannanabucket that he is probably in the top 10, but everyone seems to forget about the 4 ints against the Packers, and if not for his defense and a hobbled

Rogers, the Hawks don’t win that game. Then you move to the SB. He did not play that well and if not for his D they are not in that game at the end for him to throw the balloon popping int that lost it.

For those of you who say Pagano has poor in-game adjustments, can you explain that to me?  I'm not trying to be fresh, I am just curious what adjustments exactly you're talking about, and how those correlate to Pagano (as opposed to the OC and DC.)  Specific examples, please.