Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ladies & Gentlemen your NEW RT for the Colts 2015 season....... Jack Mewhort!

TKnight24

Leftover from #Colts practice today: Pagano downplaying it, but Jack Mewhort taking a lot of RT snaps. Doesn't strike me as an experiment

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

May 27, 2015

I am not saying that you should rule out Gosder Cherilus' return. Just telling you what I see.

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

May 27, 2015

This sounds pretty serious even though it's early. Cherilus may not be doing well or they've moved on from him

Why not keep him at LG? seemed like the bright spot of the Oline last season (the left side)...maybe the staff thinks he could make the switch and put Thomas at LG, but I'd rather see Mewhort stay put and master the position..But what do I know, im just a fan, lol

I said before OTAs that my line sans Gosder would be:

Castonzo, Reitz/Thomas, Holmes, Herremans, Mewhort

I also like the idea of giving D.Thomas a shot at Center if he's not going to start at guard.

Again I don't know how much this news means but it seems Mewhort is definitely in the cards as RT if Gosder isn't good to go.

If Cherilous isn't at RT come camp time, then I would be worried. Nothing wrong with having back up plans in place so you know what you have. Obviously they believe Mewhort has the ability since they put him over there last season for a game but until we get through with camp, who knows where anyone will be. I just hope they put the best guys in and not pull the stubborn card like they did last season with the center merry go round garbage.

To me, this is getting a bunch of guys extra reps at RT while Cherilus isn't available. But if they go with Donald Thomas at LG and Herremans at RG, then putting Mewhort at RT makes sense. I'd just as soon keep Mewhort at LG, though.

Why not keep him at LG? seemed like the bright spot of the Oline last season (the left side)...maybe the staff thinks he could make the switch and put Thomas at LG, but I'd rather see Mewhort stay put and master the position..But what do I know, im just a fan, lol

Tackles are who have to stop edge rushers.  For Luck's sake, I want to see the best RT that we have starting there.  If that is Mewhort, so be it.  We're covered on Luck's blindside with Costanzo, but I think G is an easier position to play in terms of blocking against the pass rush.  I thought Mewhort had potential to be a road-grader of a run blocker at LG, but I'd rather take my chances and have Thornton, Reitz, Thomas, etc. at G and Mewhort on the outside if Gosder doesn't come back (which, I'm kind of assuming he won't).

I did notice going through pictures that Ulrick John was lined up in several of them.  I assume he's getting work with the 2nd team (I couldn't tell in all the pictures he was in, but some seemed like he was at LT).

I prefer to see Mewhort stay at LG too, but if Cherilus isn't healthy moving Mewhort to RT may be the best choice. If Donald Thomas is healthy he's a really good interior lineman. We actually have several good possibilities on the interior IMO. If Cherilus is alright then it wouldn't surprise me to see Thomas at center, then we'd have our best 5 on the field. Assuming Holmes doesn't turn into a beast.

The idea line to me is this. Castanzo-Mewhort-Thomas-Herremans-Cherilus. And that's obviously assuming Cherilus and Thomas are back to 100%. But if Cherilus isn't then this wouldn't be a bad line at all. Castanzo-Thomas-Holmes-Herremans-Mewhort. Again though, I just really want to see Mewhort stay at LG. I think he's got the potential to be a pro bowl caliber Guard.

It's dumb in my opinion!!!!!!

Why would you change it when that was the left side was the most promising part of the offensive line!?

I guess that's why the Colts continually have a bad to terrible offensive line year in and year out..... It really awful to watch.

I don't get it.... I know we have more talent at guard now but seriously why fix it if it's not really broke. Had a lot of promise.

They will find a way to mess it up with the offensive line like always..... It's a shame!

It's dumb in my opinion!!!!!!

Why would you change it when that was the left side was the most promising part of the offensive line!?

I guess that's why the Colts continually have a bad to terrible offensive line year in and year out..... It really awful to watch.

I don't get it.... I know we have more talent at guard now but seriously why fix it if it's not really broke. Had a lot of promise.

They will find a way to mess it up with the offensive line like always..... It's a shame!

The left side of the OL was the most promising part of what may have been our weakest unit last year (IMO, OL was our weakest unit, but I suppose DL, S, and ILB could be argued for at times).  While it might be nice that it was promising, it is not really a big accomplishment seeing how often we changed at C and the right side of the line.

IMO, we should do what is best for the line as a unit, and if Cherilus doesn't return, I don't see anyone on our current roster that is better suited to play RT than Mewhort (maybe Herremans?).  IMO, without Cherilus and without picking anyone up (it looks like Joe Barksdale is the only FA tackle worth a darn that is still available, but that could change after June 1 cuts), we'd be much better off as a unit having Herremans/Thomas/Thornton/Reitz (and maybe Holmes/Harrison) battling for the G positions, as all of them can be decent or better there, whereas I don't see anyone on our current roster except Mewhort being a good RT (Herremans/Reitz, IMO, could be average there, but are both better off at G).

The left side of the OL was the most promising part of what may have been our weakest unit last year (IMO, OL was our weakest unit, but I suppose DL, S, and ILB could be argued for at times). While it might be nice that it was promising, it is not really a big accomplishment seeing how often we changed at C and the right side of the line.

IMO, we should do what is best for the line as a unit, and if Cherilus doesn't return, I don't see anyone on our current roster that is better suited to play RT than Mewhort (maybe Herremans?). IMO, without Cherilus and without picking anyone up (it looks like Joe Barksdale is the only FA tackle worth a darn that is still available, but that could change after June 1 cuts), we'd be much better off as a unit having Herremans/Thomas/Thornton/Reitz (and maybe Holmes/Harrison) battling for the G positions, as all of them can be decent or better there, whereas I don't see anyone on our current roster except Mewhort being a good RT (Herremans/Reitz, IMO, could be average there, but are both better off at G).

Yeah that's true but didn't Reitz play Tackle in the playoffs or did he play guard!? I forget! He played pretty well wherever he was on the field!

I just feel like they may be messing up a good thing. Have to wait and see! haha

To me, this is getting a bunch of guys extra reps at RT while Cherilus isn't available. But if they go with Donald Thomas at LG and Herremans at RG, then putting Mewhort at RT makes sense. I'd just as soon keep Mewhort at LG, though.

I wish, but unfortunately don't think this is likely.

If we we're planning on playing Mewhort at G again, he'd still be taking some snaps at guard, it makes no sense to have someone play out of position for 100% of snaps. I would just except atleast 30% at his position he'd be playing. 

I could be wrong though, hope I am.

I'd much rather have:

Costonzo-Mewhort-Holmes-Herremans-Cherilus (healthy)

than 

Costonzo-???(Thomas)-Holmes-Herremans-Mewhort

I just think Cherilus is too good of a OL to not play if he's healthy. He was our best OL in 13' (Last healthy season)

If we we're planning on playing Mewhort at G again, he'd still be taking some snaps at guard, it makes no sense to have someone play out of position for 100% of snaps. I would just except atleast 30% at his position he'd be playing. 

I'd much rather have:

than 

I just think Cherilus is too good of a OL to not play if he's healthy. He was our best OL in 13' (Last healthy season)

Mewhort hasn't really participated so far. And just because Stephen Holder doesn't remember him taking any reps at LG doesn't mean he didn't take reps there. It could also be that they want to keep whoever is working with the 1's at LG at that spot for now, especially if it's Thornton, who needs a lot of reps right now.

It's really too early to even be thinking about what the OL will look like. There's a bunch of legitimate competition, more than ever before, I think. And there will be injuries. There's already two would-be contributors out of commission in Cherilus and Thomas. In a perfect world, the line is set everywhere but RG, but the world ain't perfect. The staff keeps saying there won't be any visibility on Cherilus until June, so I guess we'll see if he can participate in minicamp.

Yeah that's true but didn't Reitz play Tackle in the playoffs or did he play guard!? I forget! He played pretty well wherever he was on the field!

I just feel like they may be messing up a good thing. Have to wait and see! haha

Yes, I think Reitz was playing at RT, but Mewhort had been playing LG all year, so it may have just been to avoid breaking up a good thing in the playoffs.  I would say Mewhort is a better OL than Reitz, and probably better suited to be a long term solution at RT, so with a full offseason, I think it might be safer for Mewhort to be working a lot on the outside.  I'll trust the coaches, though, as they are there everyday and have a better grip on things than us fans do.

Not surprising. I thought that was his intermediate/long term position after they chose to put him in during the Cowboy? game and he did pretty well after a rocky few snaps. If he can handle it, playing RT makes too much sense considering the roster situation.

I think Reitz played LG just as well when he was healthy a couple of seasons ago, and I'd trust a 2nd rd LT from OSU to have a higher ceiling at RT than Reitz. Other than a healthy GC, I think JM is the best option at RT, and there isn't much drop off from JM to Reitz at LG, IMO. I think the move would provide the highest level of talent along the whole Oline as a unit.

I'd much rather have:

than 

You think Cherilus was better than Castanzo in '13?!?

I like Cherilous plenty,  but better than Castanzo?!?      I absolutely don't share that view......

You think Cherilus was better than Castanzo in '13?!?

I like Cherilous plenty,  but better than Castanzo?!?      I absolutely don't share that view......

2013 Cherilus: +8.9 overall (PFF), +5.2 Pass Blocking (PFF), 30 QB Hurries, 4 QB Sacks, 6 QB Hits

2013 Costonzo: +3.9 overall (PFF), -8.7 Pass Blocking (PFF), 46 (!!) QB Hurries, 6 QB Sacks, 

Basically showing Costonzo was a turnstyle even if the sack stats didn't particularly reflect it, thank God he's playing better. Also, Cherilus had a very good respectable year. 

2013 Cherilus: +8.9 overall (PFF), +5.2 Pass Blocking (PFF), 30 QB Hurries, 4 QB Sacks, 6 QB Hits

2013 Costonzo: +3.9 overall (PFF), -8.7 Pass Blocking (PFF), 46 (!!) QB Hurries, 6 QB Sacks, 

Basically showing Costonzo was a turnstyle even if the sack stats didn't particularly reflect it, thank God he's playing better. Also, Cherilus had a very good respectable year. 

Interesting numbers.....   because others here who also have access to these numbers were saying Cherilous wasn't all that good in '13.    Made me wonder.....     and now you've got numbers that say otherwise.....

Interesting....

As for the comparison,  I'd only say this.....    Costanzo is going up against much better talent on the left side than Cherilous is on the right side.     So,  that accounts for some of the difference.    How much is another question.    Wish I new.....

Thanks for sharing that.....

Wow if Donald Thomas returns Healthy the line may look Half way Decent for once!!!

Castonzo    Thomas     Holmes/Harrison    Herremans    Mewhort

I like the way that looks even though i loved Mehorts performance at LG. 

I could live with that and I'm sure Andrew Luck would be stoked to have this line. I just have no high hopes of Donald Thomas making it back to form. Which would in turn, probably move Mewhort back to guard or Reitz would move in. However, Reitz is injury prone too.

I could live with that and I'm sure Andrew Luck would be stoked to have this line. I just have no high hopes of Donald Thomas making it back to form. Which would in turn, probably move Mewhort back to guard or Reitz would move in. However, Reitz is injury prone too.

Yea i agree that's why i said If Donald returns healthy lol thats a big If. But im rooting for the guy. i hope he can get it together!

People forget that Reitz is actually really quite good at LG. He and Castonzo work very well together. He's backed up inferior talent at guard for years now, though, some of that had to do with injuries.

Two things:

1.  PFF olineman grades are crap.  

2.  Why use 2013 numbers?  Why not 2014.

3.  PFF onlineman grades are crap.

Additionally, I think GC is a good tackle and people keep saying "when healthy".  But that is the thing with GC, he has a degenerative knee disorder that means he will not be getting healthier than he was last year.  All he can do is manage the pain but that won't help the loss of mobility and strength from the knee issue.

Jack has Great Toughness but he is too tall, too light in the britches, and lacks athleticism to be an above average LG. It really is that simple.  We need to see if he can play RT. Let us hope so.

I'm not reading too much into this.  The team has a lot of guards who could potentially play in 2015 - Herremans, Thornton, Thomas, Heenan, Louis.  Give these guys reps in the OTA, and put Mewhort at RT just in case Cherilus is not back.  Plan A may be Mewhort at LG and Cherilus at RT, but Plan B would be Mewhort at RT and someone else at LG.  I'd keep Mewhort at RT all offseason and move him back to starting LG if and when Cherilus or Reitz (or Ulrich John) shows themselves to be a better RT option...

I'm not reading too much into this. The team has a lot of guards who could potentially play in 2015 - Herremans, Thornton, Thomas, Heenan, Louis. Give these guys reps in the OTA, and put Mewhort at RT just in case Cherilus is not back. Plan A may be Mewhort at LG and Cherilus at RT, but Plan B would be Mewhort at RT and someone else at LG. I'd keep Mewhort at RT all offseason and move him back to starting LG if and when Cherilus or Reitz (or Ulrich John) shows themselves to be a better RT option...

What about Reitz at guard?

Someone else posted this a few months ago .... :)

This shouldnt be that big of a suprise........  IF they drop Cherilus. (I am not 100% sure they do)

If Cherilus comes back healthy, I think all goes back to before 

But.....

A few thoughts:

The reality is, it is almost always harder to find quality Tackles than OGs

Mewhort has the build of a tackle

Mewhort played LT in College

Almost all of the draft "experts" stated that he would move to RT in the pros

(I dont remember one draft writeup that listed him as a future guard)

Mewhort IS NOT a pile mover......  he just isn't.... he can pass block very well

To me.... to be effective. your guards must be able to direct and push the pile to get the running game going.

He is good at left guard....... with our poor recent OL history, we clamour over "good enough"

He may be GREAT however, at Right tackle

We will see.........