Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ladies & Gentlemen your NEW RT for the Colts 2015 season....... Jack Mewhort!

TKnight24

Two things:

1. PFF olineman grades are crap.

2. Why use 2013 numbers? Why not 2014.

3. PFF onlineman grades are crap.

Additionally, I think GC is a good tackle and people keep saying "when healthy". But that is the thing with GC, he has a degenerative knee disorder that means he will not be getting healthier than he was last year. All he can do is manage the pain but that won't help the loss of mobility and strength from the knee issue.

Because my point was in 2013, Cherilus was better than Costonzo (our best OL) I used 2013, because I don't think Cherilus is better than Costonzo know as he has grown.

I like PFF, I'd rather take the opinon of a unbias person/crew of people who watch every single play.

Because my point was in 2013, Cherilus was better than Costonzo (our best OL) I used 2013, because I don't think Cherilus is better than Costonzo know as he has grown.

I like PFF, I'd rather take the opinon of a unbias person/crew of people who watch every single play.

Even if you don't like PFF, it's hard to argue against a charting stat like pressures. You'd have to argue that a group of people who watch that much football don't know what is and isn't a pressure, and I won't be receptive to that kind of argument. Yeah, you might come up with 42 pressures when they say it's 46, but you won't be way off.

I will say, though, I don't think Cherilus was better than AC in 2013. He gave up fewer pressures, but he also generally faced lesser pass rushers. And AC was definitely better in the run game.

If Cherlius can't return to his 2013 form and is released than I won't be mad if they move Mewhort to RT. I think a lineup of:

Castonzo - Reitz - Thomas - Herremans - Mewhort

... would probably be good if they could stay consistent/healthy. Holmes, Thornton, John, Heenan etc for depth. The biggest key would be that they would need to stay healthy, especially Castonzo, because we're paper thin at LT. If Cherlius does come back healthy, I'd just leave Mewhort at LG. I think he's already a good LG and there isn't much need to mess with it but if he could be as good of an RT too then that's great, because it's easier to find serviceable guards than tackles.

Just a question of if Mewhort has the feet to play RT.  

But I like the idea of trying him out there at least on a 2nd string basis. (Say he starts at LG but is 2nd string at RT so he moves there if Cherlius can't go and we put Reitz/Thomas in at LG.)

I see.  That is why I asked.

PFF is good for some things but they have no idea on olineman evaluation.  Here is just one example, if a QB steps up into the pocket to through, PFF treats that as a negative play for whichever olineman is blocking the defender that "forced" the QB to step up into the pocket.  And that is not a negative play for the olineman, there is a reason why they call it a pocket and not a wall.  It's not a positive play for the lineman but it's not a negative.  PFF also treats that as a QB hurry when many times it's not a hurry.

A lot of people like PFF but their oline grades are really crap.  Just because a view is unbiased does not mean it's accurate.

Even if you don't like PFF, it's hard to argue against a charting stat like pressures. You'd have to argue that a group of people who watch that much football don't know what is and isn't a pressure, and I won't be receptive to that kind of argument. Yeah, you might come up with 42 pressures when they say it's 46, but you won't be way off.

I will say, though, I don't think Cherilus was better than AC in 2013. He gave up fewer pressures, but he also generally faced lesser pass rushers. And AC was definitely better in the run game.

Depends on an individuals interpretation of a pressure, To me a pressure is any time a defender gets into the backfield regardless of whether or not a QB throws the ball earlier then he wants to or not but I think to some its anytime the QB is forced to step up into the pocket by an oncoming defender flying by but then you have QB's that are not easily affected by a defender flying by, I tend to go by hits rather then pressures

Eh, to me this is more about having a lineup combination where Cherilus is out.  He wasn't healthy last year, so obviously the chance exists he might be out at some point this year.  Don't think this means he is an absolute starter at RT this point going forward. 

The big questions is.... Can Mewhort move a 300 to 345lb NT or DT out of the way to allow a hole for the running back to go through?

From my observation, he couldn't unless he was part of a double team.

He was able to maintain the block, but was not able to push the interior D-lineman back, or even to the side.

I am a HUGE Buckeye fan and a huge Colts fan......... However...... Mewhort was NOT an asset to our running attack

and whether its liked or not, he was part (or contributed to) of the problem in our OL for not running the ball well. 

He can pass block (maintain) with almost anyone though.

IMHO, he is a better fit for us at RT, when he can go up against smaller DEs and LBs on running plays.

He did well enough at Ohio State against some fast pass rushers at the LT spot

I think he would do fine for us as well at RT

We will see...........

The big questions is.... Can Mewhort move a 300 to 345lb NT or DT out of the way to allow a hole for the running back to go through?

He was able to maintain the block, but was not able to push the interior D-lineman back, or even to the side.

I am a HUGE Buckeye fan and a huge Colts fan......... However...... Mewhort was NOT an asset to our running attack

and whether its liked or not, he was part (or contributed to) of the problem in our OL for not running the ball well. 

IMHO, he is a better fit for us at RT, when he can go up against smaller DEs and LBs on running plays.

We will see...........

Extremely logical post.  

If Cherlius can't return to his 2013 form and is released than I won't be mad if they move Mewhort to RT. I think a lineup of:

Castonzo - Reitz - Thomas - Herremans - Mewhort

... would probably be good if they could stay consistent/healthy. Holmes, Thornton, John, Heenan etc for depth. The biggest key would be that they would need to stay healthy, especially Castonzo, because we're paper thin at LT. If Cherlius does come back healthy, I'd just leave Mewhort at LG. I think he's already a good LG and there isn't much need to mess with it but if he could be as good of an RT too then that's great, because it's easier to find serviceable guards than tackles.

We have some options, as you've pointed out.  We do have U. John for depth and Mewhort, I believe, can be versatile at either G or T. 

Counting on Donald Thomas is a pipe dream. Let alone at Center. This guy is injury prone. Very much so. If he somehow manages to be healthy for the regular season, so be it, and I will be glad for him and the team.  But the odds that he crashes from an injury either in camp or early in the season is high, given his history, and the coaches know this. Better to hope that Herremans and the cast of thousands trying to latch on at Guard are good to go.

That leaves Mewhort at RT ( assuming our other injury prone FA, Cherilus, is unable to play ), where I am confident he can produce at a high rate for years. He is a talent.

Take Thomas out of the equation, and you'll allow yourself a bit more sanity once the Season starts and he isn't in the plans. The Colts have amassed enough O-line talent to allow them to field a strong line regardless of Thomas and Cherilus. That will prove to be a critical improvement over last season.

Jack has Great Toughness but he is too tall, too light in the britches, and lacks athleticism to be an above average LG. It really is that simple.  We need to see if he can play RT. Let us hope so.

plus he has trouble pulling at guard, imo he would be better at right tackle

I just think the Colts are preparing for a worst case scenario when it comes to Cherilus. If he can't go.. then at least Jack will be more than ready to step in at RT. I think this is also another reason why we kept Donald Thomas with us, because if he can stay healthy, we can plug him and Herremans in at guard and the offensive line doesn't look too shabby. At least on paper anyhow.

We will see...........

I agree he did not impress at lg, poor at pulling on runs, imo would be better at rt

It's dumb in my opinion!!!!!!

Why would you change it when that was the left side was the most promising part of the offensive line!?

I guess that's why the Colts continually have a bad to terrible offensive line year in and year out..... It really awful to watch.

I don't get it.... I know we have more talent at guard now but seriously why fix it if it's not really broke. Had a lot of promise.

They will find a way to mess it up with the offensive line like always..... It's a shame!

You do realize that the only one who named Mewhort as the starter at RT was TKnight24 right? The Colts have said OTA's is a great place for them to move guys around at different positions in the OL to build up their position flexibility. Him practicing there means nothing right now.