Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hilton for Wilkerson ....do it?

After wanting to vomit with the Dorsett pick, i felt like we wouldn't have to resign Hilton.....I like Hilton a lot....we've gotten a lot of value out of him, but i don't view him as a true #1 guy and I'd have no problem swapping him for Wilkerson.  ....not sure if the economics would hinder such a deal from taking place, but if it wouldn't.....would you do the deal?  ....if we're all in on getting to the super bowl this year, i think having Wilkerson would give us a better shot at getting there. ......of course, this is just wishful thinking on my part and there's no reason to believe such a trade is even being conceived.

...before i get killed for the Dorsett and vomit comment, realize i'm not knocking Dorsett one bit. ....i really like him as a player.  ....just thought picking him made zero sense.

They have Decker and Marshall, I don't see them trading Wilkerson away for Hilton. Besides I still say no, and that Hilton's going nowhere. Fleener or Allen will leave before he do, IMO.

I'd rather keep Fleener. More/better chemistry with Luck, less injured, and a better/bigger pass catcher.

wow....i'm a bit surprised with all the initial support for keeping Hilton.  Even without Hilton, i still think we would be better than the majority of the league at the WR position.  ....we would still have AJ, and 2 quality receiving TEs ....not to mention Moncrief...who should take a step up this year as well ....now throw in Dorsett.  ..almost seems like a no-brainer to me to get a stout defensive lineman ....especially since our defense gets destroyed by the Pats every year.    ......we've got AJ for a couple of years....which will allow Moncrief and Dorsett to grow up in this offense. .....we don't need Hilton long term.  ....get what you can for him now.  ....although "Luck12-to-Hilton13" made a fair point about the Jets not really being a good partner for this trade ...since they've already got Marshall and Decker.

I'd hate to see us pay Hilton #1 money though.  ....i guess that's what's also driving this question for me.

Dude. No. TY isn't going anywhere. If we were going to make a trade like that, or for Cam Jordan I'd rather give up our 1st for next year. Honestly. A 1st rounder for Wilkerson or Jordan would be worth it. They're both young and in their prime.

I am not gonna sit here and say trading Hilton won't happen but, I find it improbable. Especially with Hilton on the verge of a new contract. He could just tell his new team he is not gonna sign with them or tell them that to keep him he has to see the money. Neither is a good option for the team or the player.

Hilton is gonna be more attractive as a trade chip AFTER he signs his new deal. Even then... I don't see it happening.

In one of your posts you say even without Hilton the Colts would still be better than the majority of the leagueat the WR position. It would still look attractive but, taking TY out of the equation and inserting Dorsett is not a wash. Not even close... not yet. Why? Because we know what TY has accomplished in three season and so there is a benchmark of sorts there. Dorsett, although praised, has essentially achieved nothing... nada... ziltch. I am stating the obvious when I say that but, I said it to point out how one player will not give us TY Hilton production. Trying to recoup the loss of Hilton among several players is offensively limiting and more importantly... it means that opposing defenses and their coordinators don't have to figure out how to handle Hilton and Dorsett being on the field together.

What has made our WR corps so attractive in the past couple of years is the combination of production and potential. Trading away Hilton leaves this WR corps with nothing but potential at this point in time. Wayne was not resigned. Moncrief has shown flashes but, he is not consistently there yet... Not even close. Johnson just got here so all we can do is assume what he will provide. Carter is a HUGE question mark across the board. Then there is Dorsett... who is nothing but potential until he actually plays a game.

Hilton and Johnson are the only WRs we have who can be considered "productive WRs" Can you imagine how badly Johnson would be hounded by defenses with Hilton out of the equation??? Gore would probably be worse off as well. Then Fleener/Allen would be next in line for a hard time.

Sure, Hilton is probably gonna cost a pretty penny but, it would be worth it for one simple reason... beyond the amazing plays, the total yardage, and the TD celebrations... Hilton makes every single Colts player on offense THAT much better when he is in the game.

No defensive player we can acquire in a Hilton trade can do what Hilton is doing for this team right now. I would be offended if the "new guy" in the locker room even tried to do what Hilton does for the Colts on day one. THE AUDACITY!  :D

....Grigson wouldn't have drafted Dorsett if he was going to turn around and trade Hilton for a defensive player.  He would have just picked a defensive player in the first place.  He picked Dorsett to add another dimension to our offense in order to hopefully help turn it from "very good but inconsistent" to "elite".

wow....i'm a bit surprised with all the initial support for keeping Hilton.  Even without Hilton, i still think we would be better than the majority of the league at the WR position.  ....we would still have AJ, and 2 quality receiving TEs ....not to mention Moncrief...who should take a step up this year as well ....now throw in Dorsett.  ..almost seems like a no-brainer to me to get a stout defensive lineman ....especially since our defense gets destroyed by the Pats every year.    ......we've got AJ for a couple of years....which will allow Moncrief and Dorsett to grow up in this offense. .....we don't need Hilton long term.  ....get what you can for him now.  ....although "Luck12-to-Hilton13" made a fair point about the Jets not really being a good partner for this trade ...since they've already got Marshall and Decker.

I'd hate to see us pay Hilton #1 money though.  ....i guess that's what's also driving this question for me.

This mind set of being scared of the Patriots is getting old. The Colts got past them in the past and they will do it again.

Look at TY's numbers. He is already a #1 receiver. I don't understand why you cant see his value in being here.

I doubt we trade Hilton at all, but if we did a player for player deal with him I would rather have a guy like Joel Bitonio from the Browns. They have a big need at WR and Bitonio could play OG and RT for us. He is basically another Mewhort, but better in my opinion.

No. TY needs to be signed to a long term contract. Receivers with his ability do not come around that often.

?? The league has quite a few..

Antonio Brown

Mike Wallace

OBJ

Emmanuel Sanders

Percy Harvin

Kendall Wright

Victor Cruz

Jeremy Maclin

Desean Jackson

etc...

TY isn't some exception to the rule. On top of that, only a few of these have good QB's throwing them the ball.

absolutely not...Dorsett wasn't drafted to make Hilton a trading chip. I'd honestly rather trade a first round pick.

Unless you are an insider, you have zero proof of that. I don't believe Dorsett being drafted a year before TY's contract is up isn't a coincidence. I do believe Dorsett will be good and will justify where he was drafted, but I also believe he was an insurance policy, per se, as well.

?? The league has quite a few..

Antonio Brown

Mike Wallace

OBJ

Emmanuel Sanders

Percy Harvin

Kendall Wright

Victor Cruz

Jeremy Maclin

Desean Jackson

etc...

TY isn't some exception to the rule. On top of that, only a few of these have good QB's throwing them the ball.

Unless you are an insider, you have zero proof of that. I don't believe Dorsett being drafted a year before TY's contract is up isn't a coincidence. I do believe Dorsett will be good and will justify where he was drafted, but I also believe he was an insurance policy, per se, as well.

Most all of those receivers you mentioned would cost just as much if not more to sign as TY if they were to become available. There are a couple on your list that are not as good as TY is. TY is just now coming into his own. With the addition of Dorsett TY will become even better. Our receiver corps are not as strong as you might think. Johnson might play only one year. Moncrief and Carter are yet unproven. Whalen has had ample time to take a starting position and hasn't been able to. Last season we went into thinking the receiving corps were very good. Wrong. It was Fleener, Allen and Bradshaw who caught the TD passes. TY was by far our best WR. Now you think it is a good idea to trade him? TY has proven he can be a #1 and has been. You don't seem to see the bigger picture as to what the Colts receiving corps can be once Moncrief, Hilton and hopefully Carter can be. We lose just one of those to injury and we would be back in the same boat as we were last year.

First of all Wilkerson with be a BEAST..

But i gonna say TY should stay. Think about the miss-matches we can make with Dorsett on your team. First they need to cover TY and Dorsett. Then AJ.

After that they still need to cover Coby/Allen. And sometimes even Moncrief or Carter.. good LUCK with that!!! haha

Wilkerson has a beast of a contract. Not one I want to add to my cap number.

Dorsett wasn't drafted to make TY a bargaining chip. They, along with Moncreif, are the future of our receiving corps. Hilton is going nowhere.

Why is this board so enamored with big fat defensive lineman?

Since our WR caught only 2 passes in the AFCCG, and NEs caught 13, and both teams ran for a 4.4 yard per carry average, I'd pretty much vomit if the Colts made this trade.

They have Decker and Marshall, I don't see them trading Wilkerson away for Hilton. Besides I still say no, and that Hilton's going nowhere. Fleener or Allen will leave before he do, IMO.

They have Decker, Marshall, Devin Dmith, and Jace Amaro. Trading for Hilton would make zero sense for them.

Why is this board so enamored with big fat defensive lineman?

Since our WR caught only 2 passes in the AFCCG, and NEs caught 13, and both teams ran for a 4.4 yard per carry average, I'd pretty much vomit if the Colts made this trade.

So Wilkerson is just another big, fat (he isn't) defensive lineman? Good lord...

Yeah, hopefully Anderson doesn't turn out to be a stud so we won't have to pay him.....

In a contract year where, Fleener, Allen, and Luck's are all said to be finished, Hilton will want 10M a year while, Wilkerson is gonna want a hefty 100M contract

In a contract year where, Fleener, Allen, and Luck's are all said to be finished, Hilton will want 10M a year while, Wilkerson is gonna want a hefty 100M contract

So would you rather pay Hilton $10m/year, or Wilkerson $16m/year (or more)?

After wanting to vomit with the Dorsett pick,

it wasnt a bad pick, teams dont have to draft for the biggest hole on the roster every first round.  also, the offense was shut down anytime a defense could make ty a non factor. 

its nice insurance against an injury to AJ or ty as well. 

plus cribbs is gone now, that should be a nice upgrade too

What is it with people on this board always saying a players contract is too big and they don't want that here? News flash great players cost money And our D is in desperate need of players of Wilkersons caliber. Grigson needs to learn to pay the right players big money and stop over paying the wrong ones.

This mind set of being scared of the Patriots is getting old. The Colts got past them in the past and they will do it again.

The year the COLTS beat the PATS for the AFC championship,they got some miraculous plays that will never again be duplicated----the pats are better coached,better prepared better organazation

Depends on what Hilton is looking for in a contract.

I would want a draft pick in addition to Wilkerson.

Are you serious? He is a freaking WR you have to be high if you think your getting a pick too. Hell the Jets would be stupid to do it straight up just for TY.

Depends on what Hilton is looking for in a contract. 

I would want a draft pick in addition to Wilkerson.

Lol.....you can't be serious. The Colts would be the ones who would be sending an additional pick(s).