Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetical TY Hilton trade

BProland85

First of all, I really hope the Colts can resign Hilton under an affordable contract. Something around 10 mil per. A WR core of Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, and Carter looks great for the future. But if things don't go well in negotiations, I would hope we could at least get something for him in return.

That said, what could Hilton get us in a trade? I'm thinking two 2nd round picks.

First of all, I really hope the Colts can resign Hilton under an affordable contract. Something around 10 mil per. A WR core of Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, and Carter looks great for the future. But if things don't go well in negotiations, I would hope we could at least get something for him in return.

That said, what could Hilton get us in a trade? I'm thinking two 2nd round picks.

He is in a contract year so that might hinder a trade. I would be fine with two 2nds. He is more valuable to us than those picks so I hope this doesn't become a normal off season topic.

There would be no point in trading away TY.

His trade value? Probably a third rounder at the very least.

You wouldn't do it for a Joel Botonio? The Browns need a WR badly. How about Zack Martin? The Cowboys got La'el Collins for free, so they may trade an O-Lineman to get an elite weapon. Both would be great for our line and very beneficial and realistic. 

Trading TY is not a fun topic to discuss.

Maybe not, but at this point, it's a realistic topic to discuss. With Phillip Dorsett being drafted and the 2012 draft class being re-signed, the odds are pretty decent that there's a chance that Hilton isn't re-signed. Personally, if we don't re-sign him, I'd rather get a Botonio or Zack Martin type player for him rather than a 3rd round comp pick.

Maybe not, but at this point, it's a realistic topic to discuss. With Phillip Dorsett being drafted and the 2012 draft class being re-signed, the odds are pretty decent that there's a chance that Hilton isn't re-signed. Personally, if we don't re-sign him, I'd rather get a Botonio or Zack Martin type player for him rather than a 3rd round comp pick.

Couldn't agree with you more

Not a cool thread bro. TY is going to be a Colt for a long time. He's not going anywhere. We'll re-sign him no matter if we do have to give him 12 per. I think the whole line of thinking for Grigson is that having 2 big time, explosive, playmaking, speedy receivers to pair with one big 6'3 beast is a pretty much unstoppable receiving corps. Especially with Andrew Luck throwing them the ball. He's wanting Hilton and Dorsett playing together for many years. And Moncrief will be the big 6'3 beast I was referring to, but for the time being its AJ too. Maybe Carter will turn into a big timer too. We're aiming for an unstoppable, explosive offense. Letting the best WR leave or trading him doesn't make sense.

Again guys I don't wanna see him traded or not resigned...but if we were to lose him due to contract negotiations, then a trade for clevelands Joel bitonio would be a fair deal since they have a big need at WR and bitonio could start at RT for many years.

I firmly expect that we will/would/should give him the franchise tag for 2016, it just makes too much sense not to. He is walking away in 2017 at the earliest, if he walks away at all. I believe management is looking at the tag as their way of extending Hilton because the tag doesn't make sense for our other pending free agents. I may be missing a few but here are our notable guys set to hit the market:

Luck (Already locked up with 5th year option that comes with first round picks)

Hilton

Castonzo

Fleener

Allen

Chapman

Toler

Fleener and Allen are not worth the TE tag price tag. Castonzo is a key cog in our offense, and we got to find a way to re-sign him, but he isn't worth the money being paid on a franchise tag to left tackles.

I expect Luck and Castonzo to get long term deals, Hilton to get tagged and we will use whats left over to try to get a market value deal in place with Fleener, Allen and Chapman. Toler is likely in his final year with the team.

As far as trading TY, the Cowboys aren't going to be willing to part with Martin for him. Maybe the Browns would offer up Bitonio, but I don't know much about him...as far as trade value is concerned. I kind of doubt that a team would offer a future first round pick, and anything less then a future first round pick and it just isn't worth it to the Colts. Tag him for next year, give us some time to see what we got in our WR group, and if he moves on in 2017 we likely get a comp. pick in the 3rd round to go find another Moncrief type.

There would be no point in trading away TY.

His trade value? Probably a third rounder at the very least.

It would be better than getting nothing. He's going to be costly to resign my guess is he will be coming of his 3rd straight 1,000 yard season and he's a game changer.

Maclin got what 5 years 55 million this year TY is most certainly better than that and Rosenhaus will try to milk every penny.

We will have some very difficult decisions to make next year. I hope TY is a Colt for a long time but it won't be cheap.

If Dorsett is as advertised and Moncrief improves is that the smartest place to drop 11M+? I don't know.

Everyone wants the nasty D and I do too. I want to keep TY too but can we have our cake and eat it too? I guess a lot depends on how the young guys on both sides develop.

The Cowboys aren't gonna trade him for TY Hilton...

Probably not, but it's a realistic possibility with a luxury 1st round UDFA such as La'el Collins. They essentially would be getting TY for free so long as La'el lived up to his 1st round original billing.

I don't think he's worth much in trade...at all...

Teams can draft a TY Hilton in the 2nd round and they have him on rookie scale wages..

..He's probably worth much more to us than he could ever bring in trade

TY will be signed to a long term contract. The Colts are going to need him even more in two years.

I firmly expect that we will/would/should give him the franchise tag for 2016, it just makes too much sense not to. He is walking away in 2017 at the earliest, if he walks away at all. I believe management is looking at the tag as their way of extending Hilton because the tag doesn't make sense for our other pending free agents. I may be missing a few but here are our notable guys set to hit the market:

Luck (Already locked up with 5th year option that comes with first round picks)

Hilton

Castonzo

Fleener

Allen

Chapman

Toler

Fleener and Allen are not worth the TE tag price tag. Castonzo is a key cog in our offense, and we got to find a way to re-sign him, but he isn't worth the money being paid on a franchise tag to left tackles.

I expect Luck and Castonzo to get long term deals, Hilton to get tagged and we will use whats left over to try to get a market value deal in place with Fleener, Allen and Chapman. Toler is likely in his final year with the team.

As far as trading TY, the Cowboys aren't going to be willing to part with Martin for him. Maybe the Browns would offer up Bitonio, but I don't know much about him...as far as trade value is concerned. I kind of doubt that a team would offer a future first round pick, and anything less then a future first round pick and it just isn't worth it to the Colts. Tag him for next year, give us some time to see what we got in our WR group, and if he moves on in 2017 we likely get a comp. pick in the 3rd round to go find another Moncrief type.

IMO Fleener will be signed to a long term contract. He will never be in a position to be tagged.

LeTting ty go, would be the dumbest thing colts could ever do. He would torture our d if we faced him. And the pats would be the first in line. We couldnt evven trade him. He would qualify as a free agent after this year...

I don't think he's worth much in trade...at all...

Teams can draft a TY Hilton in the 2nd round and they have him on rookie scale wages..

..He's probably worth much more to us than he could ever bring in trade

He is going to even more important to us in two years. I think the Colts will sign him to a long term contract when the time comes. I think the only way they don't is if he just wants way too much money. I would think he would want to stay with Luck.

He is going to even more important to us in two years. I think the Colts will sign him to a long term contract when the time comes. I think the only way they don't is if he just wants way too much money. I would think he would want to stay with Luck.

He will want market value Maclin just got 5yrs 55M who do you thinks the better player? TY won't be cheap.

He will want market value Maclin just got 5yrs 55M who do you thinks the better player? TY won't be cheap.

I know he wont be cheap. No top notch player is cheap. IMO the only way TY is not signed to a long term contract is if Carter turns out to be an all star and then the money allotted for receivers gets too steep. Just because a player is going to draw a big contract don't mean they wont be signed. We will also have the money that Mathis will not be making coming on the books after this year. I highly doubt he will be back after this season. Odds are against that. Grigson will figure it out. He has been pretty good at contract signings.

You all make it seem like we don't have the cap money to sign any of our guys back... We can pay Luck top dollar and still sign Hilton and Fleener/Allen. We may let one of the TE's go but there's no way we resign both and not resign Hilton. It seems that as much as we bash on pats fans we have some delusional fans here too. We're not gonna trade the second most important piece of our offense just because we drafted some rookie.

Not a cool thread bro. TY is going to be a Colt for a long time. He's not going anywhere. We'll re-sign him no matter if we do have to give him 12 per. I think the whole line of thinking for Grigson is that having 2 big time, explosive, playmaking, speedy receivers to pair with one big 6'3 beast is a pretty much unstoppable receiving corps. Especially with Andrew Luck throwing them the ball. He's wanting Hilton and Dorsett playing together for many years. And Moncrief will be the big 6'3 beast I was referring to, but for the time being its AJ too. Maybe Carter will turn into a big timer too. We're aiming for an unstoppable, explosive offense. Letting the best WR leave or trading him doesn't make sense.

By far the best post I've read all week! Love it! Couldn't agree more!!

You all make it seem like we don't have the cap money to sign any of our guys back... We can pay Luck top dollar and still sign Hilton and Fleener/Allen. We may let one of the TE's go but there's no way we resign both and not resign Hilton. It seems that as much as we bash on pats fans we have some delusional fans here too. We're not gonna trade the second most important piece of our offense just because we drafted some rookie.

I agree. I can see the Colts cutting a few guys in order to keep these guys if need be.. but someone like Dwayne Allen is more likely to walk before Hilton. Luckily, the cap should rise another $10 million or so.. plus we could also franchise tag someone.. So we have options.

This is a fun thread. Folks not understanding the meaning of 'hypothetical', thinking TY will not be signed, thinking Carter, Moncief and Dorsett are already top notch receivers, thinking Fleener will be let go etc.

It is a funny thread. Making me chortle anyway....

Grigson would let Fleener & Allen walk before he let Hilton walk. Hilton isn't going anywhere

Outside of Andrew, he's the best player from that 2012 class

He's priority #2 this offseason to be re-signed. Andrew is #1

Grigson would let Fleener & Allen walk before he let Hilton walk. Hilton isn't going anywhere

Outside of Andrew, he's the best player from that 2012 class

He's priority #2 this offseason to be re-signed. Andrew is #1

AC is priority #2.