Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT: Multiple Colts players upset with Dorsett selection

Dustin

I think it's the other way around. You added them in your initial post just so it wouldn't seem so ludicrous.

No, they lost their best defender, got a replacement

The point was each of those teams drafted based off needs. But you twisted it and tried to deflect the point by measuring which teams have had success in the season. Which either way you lose cause the Pats have spanked us and won the SB last year

But hey, whatever helps you feel good about this bad pick

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few thoughts.  It's obvious that the large group of pass catchers may be unhappy because this could mean less targets and reps for them.  Secondly, I'm always very critical when "a league source" is cited.  That's so vague, it could mean almost anything.  Thirdly, did no one else pick up on this in the article?

For 2015, however, he won’t do much to narrow the 38-point gap between the Colts and the Patriota.

The Patriota?  So now we'll have to face Marcus Mariota and Patrick Patriota.  You'd think people would use the spellcheck before they publish their articles....

WR is a better option for the Colts than a Safety or DT? Is that what you're saying?

Hopefully you can read as well as the rest of us, so why don't YOU tell us....is that what he was saying?

If it's because the players feel like we should have gone defense, fair enough. Not everyone agree with taking the best player available. Some people want best player available at positions of need, i.e. Collins, Brown. It seems that's the case. But are we sure that's the entire reason?

If.. if it's the receivers and/or TEs; TY, Moncrief, Fleener, Carter etc that feel threatened..well then they are not made for the NFL.

Embrace the competition, dont shy away from it. Philip Dorsett sure wont!

If TY feels threatened because Dorsett has the same profile as him, can do the same things (Dorsett is faster, bigger and has better hands) or because he feels like the Colts has taken him as insurance, he can take a hike and get a big contract elsewhere.

I'm reading it as Dorsett was viewed as a much better player at his position than the available D players were at theirs in the 1st round value wise.

Not a position for us

Not saying the dude is gonna be bad, just I don't see why he was taken that early. He was probably gonna be there late. I think Lockette from KSU will be better than him. He's up in Seattle now with Wilson

If it's because the players feel like we should have gone defense, fair enough. Not everyone agree with taking the best player available. Some people want best player available at positions of need, i.e. Collins, Brown. It seems that's the case. But are we sure that's the entire reason?

If.. if it's the receivers and/or TEs; TY, Moncrief, Fleener, Carter etc that feel threatened..well then they are not made for the NFL.

Embrace the competition, dont shy away from it. Philip Dorsett sure wont!

If TY feels threatened because Dorsett has the same profile as him, can do the same things (Dorsett is faster, bigger and has better hands) or because he feels like the Colts has taken him as insurance, he can take a hike and get a big contract elsewhere.

Fleener shys away from contact on the field, I wouldn't be surprised if he feels threatened by competition

Yes, it was a bad move by Ryan- Maybe Chuck and him  did not watch how our Run D got steamrolled in the playoffs by the Pats. I mean he did not thinkj there was one D player at 29? He could have easily picked a WR in the 3rd.

I just find it funny how people dont take in account alot of our DL group are young guys u have to give them room to grow Chapmen Hughes Zerr all are under age of 26-27 and Langford will be good hes a good run defender will help improve just wait it out before we start Jumping to different conclusions 

The "reasons" were Malcolm Brown doesn't "fit" our scheme

Gregory as we know has the "character" issues and Grigson made it clear he wasn't drafting character issue guys in the first

Don't understand why Landon Collins wasn't drafted after Grigson drooled over him

It's no logical explanation as to why we took a WR other than Grigson STINKS with 1st rounders

Everybody needs to get over not taking Collins. The overall impression and scouting report on him is that he sucks in coverage. Why would we want that? In fact I think it's comical that everyone would be OK with having a rookie safety on the field when we play teams like New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and Atlanta. He'd get used and abused.

And the notion that Grigson was "drooling over him" was nothing more than a smokescreen. All he said was "he's a guy that can do it all," which is basically coach speak for "yeah, we've heard of him."

Im not a fan of how they did the first round very much, but from there on, I liked their choices

But Im looking at it like this, draft position means squat, absolute squat after the draftee gets paid.  We've seen 6th and 7th rounders become super stars(Tom Brady), we've seen 1st rounders bust(Ryan Leaf, TRich). The same can be said for every single round. Yeah, we may have passed on Brown Goldman etc, Yes I wanted one, but its entirely possible one of them or all of them bust out or don't fit the scheme where they are playing.  Granted, it is possible they become stars soon too.  My whole point is that we just need to wait till these guys we've got actually play and the season is under way.  Draft grades mean nothing,  just an opinion of how a TV announcer thinks a team did......

Everybody needs to get over not taking Collins. The overall impression and scouting report on him is that he sucks in coverage. Why would we want that? In fact I think it's comical that everyone would be OK with having a rookie safety on the field when we play teams like New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and Atlanta. He'd get used and abused.

And the notion that Grigson was "drooling over him" was nothing more than a smokescreen. All he said was "he's a guy that can do it all," which is basically coach speak for "yeah, we've heard of him."

Mayock said he stinks in coverage, Mayock also said Le'Veon Bell would be average. How'd that play out?

Don't see how a safety who was constantly around the ball at Alabama terrible in coverage but okay

Im not a fan of how they did the first round very much, but from there on, I liked their choices

But Im looking at it like this, draft position means squat, absolute squat after the draftee gets paid. We've seen 6th and 7th rounders become super stars(Tom Brady), we've seen 1st rounders bust(Ryan Leaf, TRich). The same can be said for every single round. Yeah, we may have passed on Brown Goldman etc, Yes I wanted one, but its entirely possible one of them or all of them bust out or don't fit the scheme where they are playing. Granted, it is possible they become stars soon too. My whole point is that we just need to wait till these guys we've got actually play and the season is under way. Draft grades mean nothing, just an opinion of how a TV announcer thinks a team did......

I agree, but for the past 2 years Grigson's late round picks have outshined his first round picks by longshots. That's awful and speaks volumes on how terrible he is with first round picks

He was specifically asked about Collins. There was never a chance he'd say anything that wasn't complimentary.

I personally don't think Collins sucks in coverage, but it's not his strong suit, and he hasn't been asked to play much pro style coverage. As far as physical profile, Collins and Geathers are practically identical. 

WR is a better option for the Colts than a Safety or DT? Is that what you're saying?

I'm saying the Colts thought that WR is a better option than those Safeties or DTs?

I'm not sure why you'd frame it like you draft a position, not an individual player. Now you're just being argumentative.

I agree, but for the past 2 years Grigson's late round picks have outshined his first round picks by longshots. That's awful and speaks volumes on how terrible he is with first round picks

He's drafted one player in the first round over that time period. Nice sample size.

Even including Richardson, it's a terrible sample size. So he's whiffed on two picks...whoopee. Polian had a stretch that went:

Marlin Jackson

Joseph Addai

Anthony Gonzalez

Donald Brown

Jerry Hughes (who was terrible for us)

It happens, and you're holding his other late round successes as failures against him because of two picks.

He's drafted one player in the first round over that time period. Nice sample size.

Even including Richardson, it's a terrible sample size. So he's whiffed on two picks...whoopee. Polian's had a stretch that went:

Marlin Jackson

Joseph Addai

Anthony Gonzalez

Donald Brown

Jerry Hughes (who was terrible for us)

It happens, and you're holding his other late round successes as failures against him because of two picks.

He's only been here 4 years. I'm going by what he's done in that time

Luck

Richardson

Werner

1/3 so far..... not a good %

All his other picks have been solid though aside from the injury riddled ones or the dummies like Brazill & Boyett

Hilton wants leverage in contract talks.

Johnson wants 80 catches, not 40.

Carter wants playing time.

Moncrief wants more playing time.

Who cares.

Grigson wants the Colts to score points even if Johnson is washed up, Hilton can't beat double team, Carter is cut because of DUI arrest and Moncrief still catches football with his chest.

Luck

Richardson

Werner

All his other picks have been solid though aside from the injury riddled ones or the dummies like Brazill & Boyett

Those are really good numbers for a GM. Your standards are incredibly unreasonable and inconsistent with the reality of the process.

You seem like the type of guy that that calls someone a terrible guesser if they guess a coinflip with 50/50 accuracy because they missed half.

No, they lost their best defender, got a replacement

The point was each of those teams drafted based off needs. But you twisted it and tried to deflect the point by measuring which teams have had success in the season. Which either way you lose cause the Pats have spanked us and won the SB last year

But hey, whatever helps you feel good about this bad pick

So you really think drafting a rookie safety would give us a better chance against New England?

Luck

Richardson

Werner

So.......you're holding it against him because 2 particular picks turned out bad?  That's not right, not unless you take into account all his picks, if you do, that number is probably 180 in the other direction.  

Second, I don't consider TRich a draft pick, yeah he gave up a 1st in trade, but at the time, EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE thought that was a steal and he would be a superstar.....But it didn't work out.  I dont think anyone outside of the Browns FO saw that coming.

So you really think drafting a rookie safety would give us a better chance against New England?

Uh yeah. How would a WR stop a RB from going for 200+?

Eric Reid had a solid rookie year along with other rookie defenders

The problem is the defense. That's the weakness. Offense has been in the top 10 I do believe since Luck got here

The problem is the defense. That's the weakness. Offense has been in the top 10 I do believe since Luck got here

I have trouble taking any article seriously when it's just 6 small paragraphs and they let an editing mistake fly right by them;

38-point gap between the Colts and the Patriota.

Internet journalism isn't exactly reaching the pinnacle of press. I suggest that the premise of this article is purely speculative. 

There is a reason why defense ended up being the next 4 picks...  all in positional needs

I mean we do have to give credit for the two D lineman out of Stanford picks. Obviously one may make a bigger impact before the other but if they can contribute that sure helps stop 200+ rushing yard games. They also got a young unpolished safety with what seems like he has plenty of room to get better.

It's not like they completely ignored the defense.

They just ignored the defense on what was their biggest pick in the draft or the past 2 seasons for that matter.

I maintain that if this guy doesn't start looking like a future HOF'er the moment he steps on the field, Grigson should be fired.

Too many wastes of first round picks to forgive.  Picked Werner a bust, traded for Trent Richardson, a bust of epic proportions, drafted Dorsette to ride the bench for 2 years and be a kick returner.

I was a supporter before this because we where winning and I recognize that everyone makes mistakes.  But if this pick is in any way a mistake then that's enough first round mistakes for me.  

Oh and if Malcom Brown becomes anything more then just an average D-lineman Grigson should be fired.  

It is way to early for anyone to say things either way about the pick of Dorsett.  

Dorsett could come out and have a year like ODB and move out Johnson for all we know and the safety and DT taken after him could never see the field.  Now of course Dorsett could struggle as a rookie and the safety and DT tear it up for their teams.

I was not overly thrilled given who came after the Dorsett pick, but I have to imagine that Grigs and company had him rated that much higher than the next two guys. If they graded Dorsett as an A and the other guys as C+ do you really want them to reach just to fill a position of need? You do not want to reach on a guy you think is a third or second rounder in the first just to fill a position of need.  

Now if they are virtually equal then yeah fill the position of need, but I have to guess Grigs and them had Dorsett rated really high.

I am sure the number one player * is TY.  The guy is ready for a big deal and here the Colts take a WR in the first.  

I mean we do have to give credit for the two D lineman out of Stanford picks. Obviously one may make a bigger impact before the other but if they can contribute that sure helps stop 200+ rushing yard games. They also got a young unpolished safety with what seems like he has plenty of room to get better.

It's not like they completely ignored the defense.

They just ignored the defense on what was their biggest pick in the draft or the past 2 seasons for that matter.

I know. I loved the draft we had aside from the Dorsett pick. Everything else was good. Just don't care for taking a WR in the first when it's one of the last positions on the team we need. If we were gonna do that, should've just took the chance on Doral Green Beckham

But like I said, Grigson put himself in a hole when he said he's not drafting character issue players in he early rounds so I'm sure our draft board only had like 5 people on it for the first round smh

I maintain that if this guy doesn't start looking like a future HOF'er the moment he steps on the field, Grigson should be fired.

Too many wastes of first round picks to forgive.  Picked Werner a bust, traded for Trent Richardson, a bust of epic proportions, drafted Dorsette to ride the bench for 2 years and be a kick returner.

I was a supporter before this because we where winning and I recognize that everyone makes mistakes.  But if this pick is in any way a mistake then that's enough first round mistakes for me.  

Oh and if Malcom Brown becomes anything more then just an average D-lineman Grigson should be fired.  

I agree with the sentiment, but I think that might be too much to expect from Dorsett in a crowded group of pass catchers.  If he can go for 800+ yards and 7+ TDs, I'll consider it a very good pick.  There is no question that Dorsett is talented.

It is way to early for anyone to say things either way about the pick of Dorsett.  

Dorsett could come out and have a year like ODB and move out Johnson for all we know and the safety and DT taken after him could never see the field.  Now of course Dorsett could struggle as a rookie and the safety and DT tear it up for their teams.

I was not overly thrilled given who came after the Dorsett pick, but I have to imagine that Grigs and company had him rated that much higher than the next two guys. If they graded Dorsett as an A and the other guys as C+ do you really want them to reach just to fill a position of need? You do not want to reach on a guy you think is a third or second rounder in the first just to fill a position of need.  

Now if they are virtually equal then yeah fill the position of need, but I have to guess Grigs and them had Dorsett rated really high.

I am sure the number one player * is TY.  The guy is ready for a big deal and here the Colts take a WR in the first.  

I'd be very concerned if they gave guys like Goldman, Brown, or Collins a C+

I too scratched my head at the pick, but I think ppl are gonna have a change of heart when teams have a hard time stopping our offense. I thought we did a great job addressing other needs on the defensive side. People need to relax and wait til the end of the season before bashing Grigson. I have a feeling we're going to be OK. GO COLTS!!

Seriously......I mean come on, Not even  Reggie Wayne or Marvin or heck even Peyton Manning looked like a future hall of famer their first year. Get real and put down whatever koolaide you're drinking.

Just imagine: the Colts got Leonard Williams. So what?! The Patriots will run another direction and Jackson and Freeman were graded -5 in run defense in AFCCG.

It looks like Colts were offered with Williams, Collins and Kendricks for that Dorsett pick.