Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT: Multiple Colts players upset with Dorsett selection

Dustin

Greg Manusky is the guy that's going to be most affected by the first round draft selection. That DC chair has to be hot enough to cook popcorn.

Not more than Dorsett himself. He may have the most pressure on him of any Colts first round draft pick not named Manning or Luck. And to boot, he is competing to find a spot among a very talented receiving corp.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh .. I thought the Pats picked by need last year when they drafted a DT named Easley to take over when Wilfork was gone.Everyone thought this was a bog over draft and no doubt a need rather than a "board" pick. Perfect that it was pick 1.29 and the guy played a handful of plays and now they draft another DT because that one stunk. So how about you give us something that makes a little more sense ?

Oh boy. Where to begin with this. First, the Pats resigned Wilfork last year prior to the draft so they did not need a replacement for him last year. Second, they have been filling his spot with DLs for the last two years with Chris Jones, Siligia, Vellano, and Alan Branch. As you well know, a player of Vince's caliber cannot be replaced with just one guy. Then last year they draft Easley who was coming off injury and understanding that he will be expected to play more this year with Vince's departure. Brown is not Vince's replacement per se even though he is being billed that way. He is a guy that can play all over the line. He is a run stuffer who can also get in the backfield. Bill will have a field day moving him around to wreak havoc in opponents backfield alongside Chandler Jones, Ninkovich and Sheard.

Not to say that Dorsette won't be a good player, but it's almost comical how bad Ryan Grigson has been. A first round WR? Are you kidding?

If the Colts had anything but the #1 overall pick in 2012 this guy would be fired.

coming from a browns fan, this is hilarious

Oh boy. Where to begin with this. First, the Pats resigned Wilfork last year prior to the draft so they did not need a replacement for him last year. Second, they have been filling his spot with DLs for the last two years with Chris Jones, Siligia, Vellano, and Alan Branch. As you well know, a player of Vince's caliber cannot be replaced with just one guy. Then last year they draft Easley who was coming off injury and understanding that he will be expected to play more this year with Vince's departure. Brown is not Vince's replacement per se even though he is being billed that way. He is a guy that can play all over the line. He is a run stuffer who can also get in the backfield. Bill will have a field day moving him around to wreak havoc in opponents backfield alongside Chandler Jones, Ninkovich and Sheard.

Bottom line is he was a reach and drafted for need. Way over drafted and hard to believe anyone had him that high on their draft board, To no great surprise he played a handful of plays and was shelved, Same spot as Dorsett 1.29 so lets see who the * is in this one. The guy that stuck with his board or the one that wanted D and took some plodding stiff coming off 2 knee surgeries.

Bottom line is he was a reach and drafted for need. Way over drafted and hard to believe anyone had him that high on their draft board, To no great surprise he played a handful of plays and was shelved, Same spot as Dorsett 1.29 so lets see who the * is in this one. The guy that stuck with his board or the one that wanted D and took some plodding stiff coming off 2 knee surgeries.

He was not a reach save for being injured. He is considered to be a high talent and again he will play this year so we will see how he pans out.

As I said before, good GMs draft BPA and need, especially in round one ...

I guess I wish we'd all slow way down on the Werner = bust stuff. I know he has yet to live up to first round status, but the dude has only played football for 7 years total, and had to learn a new position with the Colts.

If you want to argue that Grigs never should have spent a first on a project, I am not entirely sure I agree, but I can get that. But it is simply much too early to label a guy with 2 years experience at a position and 7 years in the sport as a bust.

Polian didn't even like to put LBs into starting roles until their 3rd year (which might explain why he only ever draft one in the early rounds, and if I recall correctly, publicly said he regretted doing so, despite Rob Morris having a decent career).

He was not a reach save for being injured. He is considered to be a high talent and again he will play this year so we will see how he pans out.

They also draft players that don't have 2 bad knees also ... especially in round 1. I wonder how many GM's would trade Dorsett for Easley ?

They also draft players that don't have 2 bad knees also ... especially in round 1. I wonder how many GM's would trade Dorsett for Easley ?

lol. Plenty of guys get drafted with injury histories. Heck, the Broncos took a guy this year in rd. 1 with a bad foot AND weed issues because of his talent.

I had Easley as a top 10 prospect that season. Definitely wasn't a reach because of talent, but Idk a guy with two bad knees should have went in the first.

I guess I wish we'd all slow way down on the Werner = bust stuff. I know he has yet to live up to first round status, but the dude has only played football for 7 years total, and had to learn a new position with the Colts.

Call him a bust, a disappointment....call him a ham sandwich if you want to. We shouldn't have selected him with a premium pick. We needed him in the playoffs, BADLY, and I don't even think he played in the last 2 games of the post season, did he? 

I had Easley as a top 10 prospect that season. Definitely wasn't a reach because of talent, but Idk a guy with two bad knees should have went in the first.

Yeah, injuries are always tough. He is fully healthy now so I guess we will find out ... for what it is worth Gronk was very injured in college and the Pats took him and have gotten both the good and bad. When he is healthy, he is the best in the game at his position, but he has missed a lot too. If they can get that type of production out of Easley then they will take it even if it means he misses time on the other side.

lol. Plenty of guys get drafted with injury histories. Heck, the Broncos took a guy this year in rd. 1 with a bad foot AND weed issues because of his talent.

No one had Easely going in round one last year. His injury history should have dropped him to round 3 but it was one of those BB "I'll show you picks." 

No one had Easely going in round one last year. His injury history should have dropped him to round 3 but it was one of those BB "I'll show you picks." 

Sure but only because of injury, not talent. Players do heal. Gronk went in the second because of injury ..

Sure but only because of injury, not talent. Players do heal. Gronk went in the second because of injury ..

Depends on the injury and how far removed from it the player is. Let's see how's the better pick .. my jet or your hobbler... We'll revisit and stop beating this to death.

I wouldn't believe much or any of an article that wont put names to it. I'm pretty sure the Colts will still make the playoffs and if they don't I doubt it will be because of Dorsett or not picking a defensive player. It will be because the players that are on the roster now that may or may not have liked the pick didn't do their jobs. It is always best to look in a mirror before complaining about someone else.

Not more than Dorsett himself. He may have the most pressure on him of any Colts first round draft pick not named Manning or Luck. And to boot, he is competing to find a spot among a very talented receiving corp.

I doubt he is putting pressure on himself. He just became a millionaire 4 days ago and gets to play a game for a living. The guy throwing him the ball that will give him the stats to make more millions is very good at his job too. He is an amazingly talented WR that was so underutilized in college it was a sin which is one of a thousand reasons why Al Golden should be fired by the U. All first round picks have pressure on them to live up to their pick, I wouldn't say the backlash has added any extra, on the contrary I'd say it motivates him.

The "reasons" were Malcolm Brown doesn't "fit" our scheme

Gregory as we know has the "character" issues and Grigson made it clear he wasn't drafting character issue guys in the first

Don't understand why Landon Collins wasn't drafted after Grigson drooled over him

It's no logical explanation as to why we took a WR other than Grigson STINKS with 1st rounders

The Giants drooled enough over Collins to take him at 33 when he was there for the picking at 29.

I wouldn't believe much or any of an article that wont put names to it. I'm pretty sure the Colts will still make the playoffs and if they don't I doubt it will be because of Dorsett or not picking a defensive player. It will be because the players that are on the roster now that may or may not have liked the pick didn't do their jobs. It is always best to look in a mirror before complaining about someone else.

I especially don't believe it when it comes from Mike Florio.

I especially don't believe it when it comes from Mike Florio.

There are I think about 90 layers on the roster. Multiple means could be 90 and could be 2. Wonder who the "league sources" were that complied this info ? What a bunch of horse crap.

good for the Giants.  Apparently Grigson did not agree with the Giants' evaluation.

I will never understand why someone else's evaluation of a player matters.  The Colts put in the work on all these guys and obviously liked Dorsett more than Collins.  Why the fact that the Giants traded up to get Collins should matter to Indy is completely lost on me - and I think everyone else with half an ounce of football IQ.

Depends on the injury and how far removed from it the player is. Let's see how's the better pick .. my jet or your hobbler... We'll revisit and stop beating this to death.

lol. You mean Malcolm Brown and your jet as that will forever be the comparison from now to infinity given the Colts could have taken him instead of the jet allowing him to land in the Pats laps filling one of their biggest needs ...

I think some people are missing the point by signaling in on Collins. I think most are okay that he passed on Collins. But the fact that he passed on Brown and Goldman is worse.

In a few of my mocks I had us getting Geathers late anyway. But regardless of how high up Dorsett was, I think it was short sighted to take him over Goldman and Brown.

A player like Dorsett won't completely transform the Colts because we have a player like him already. But a guy like Goldman would have taken this team to another level.

And you know this because? Serious question: are you a NFL Scout? A football pro? A proven sports journalist? Or are you just guessing? Interested to see why we should bow to your knowledge.

I will never understand why someone else's evaluation of a player matters. The Colts put in the work on all these guys and obviously liked Dorsett more than Collins. Why the fact that the Giants traded up to get Collins should matter to Indy is completely lost on me - and I think everyone else with half an ounce of football IQ.

Half a gram do?

Players heal, but not all injuries heal the same.  If Easley had broken bones in each of his legs the last couple years, I'd rate him top 10 talent and at a commensurate draft position.  As it is, top 10 talent and a Grade D for risk.  (ACL on each knee!)  That puts him 3rd round IMO.  If Dorsett had two ACL's, he'd be 5th round to me. Both have huge potential and upside. Let's see if either/both can capitalize....

No question that healthy, both

lol. You mean Malcolm Brown and your jet as that will forever be the comparison from now to infinity given the Colts could have taken him instead of the jet allowing him to land in the Pats laps filling one of their biggest needs ...

So obviously the Colts had Dorsett rated higher than Brown and I would say by a wide margin given their perceived needs.  If all else was equal I would imagine they would have drafted Brown. 

With that as the backdrop, you are maintaining that they should have drafted Brown 1) because he play a position of a higher need and 2) it kept him away from the Pats.  Do I have that correct?

So obviously the Colts had Dorsett rated higher than Brown and I would say by a wide margin given their perceived needs.  If all else was equal I would imagine they would have drafted Brown. 

With that as the backdrop, you are maintaining that they should have drafted Brown 1) because he play a position of a higher need and 2) it kept him away from the Pats.  Do I have that correct?

No. My point was that Dorsett and Brown will forever be linked (not Dorsett and Easley) given the Colts could have selected him and then he fell to the Pats.

But even if Brown plays like a beast at NE, it does not mean he would be that way for Indy.  To me, I still think Grigson figured Anderson would be more of an impact playing in our scheme instead of Brown.  And I believe he was not even interested in goldman or phillips because we have 2 guys already with similar build and athletic ability.  Why keep adding the same broth to a soup that is already overflowing?

The time to do this is with speed playmakers and pass rushers. And this is a general consensus around the league.

No. My point was that Dorsett and Brown will forever be linked (not Dorsett and Easley) given the Colts could have selected him and then he fell to the Pats.

Your point in this entire debate has not been to draft need first?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You said or they aren't short sighted, referring to my quote of whoever thinks into the matter beyond the point I made was over analyzing!  You were reitterating you're standpoint... 

My point was that there are numerous scenarios that could've played out.  IMO, when the Colts are as close as they are to winning the SB, you draft players within need that will help you reach your goal immediately.  End of my point, and it should be that simple, because (hypothetical) if you were guaranteed 1 millions now, or press your luck, and maybe make 2 million next year, but that is a guarantee ,what would you do?  Same thing with winning now vs later.  Your standpoint reflects taking a higher risk, and possibly reaping the benefit of a better reward.  What you're not taking into account is that we would still be good in the future, and taking a less talented player than BPA doesn't negate any future opportunities. 

Your point was you would still take BPA, because he would help our team for the next 12 years.  The hypothetical guaranteed impact (immediate) player for this season may only help us for 4-5 years.  You can't guarantee Dorsett is going to be good just like I can't guarantee somebody else would be good.  Not only that but, you're more on the side of the fence that any player we could've drafted would likely be a flop, because they weren't BPA.

Once again, a difference of opinion, with hypothetical situations!  It's like asking 2 different color blind people what color the sky is?  They will argue til death, but they both will be correct in their own perception

Once again, a difference of opinion, with hypothetical situations!  It's like asking 2 different color blind people what color the sky is?  They will argue til death, but they both will be correct in their own perception

I am Color blind, and I will tell you the sky is blue on a clear day because that is general consensus.  If a person knows nothing about something you take the odds favorite, or trust the person whom does.

Well I hope he proves the naysayers wrong.

I just read an article that in 2011 the Texans fans were upset about JJ Watt draft pick. Talk about an over reaction. haha

No, no way.  For picking defense?  Surely that can't ......  uhhh,      mmmmmm.....     wait.  Nevermind,

Watt_No_zpsryig65aj.png