Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFT: Multiple Colts players upset with Dorsett selection

Dustin

Not to say that Dorsette won't be a good player, but it's almost comical how bad Ryan Grigson has been. A first round WR? Are you kidding?

If the Colts had anything but the #1 overall pick in 2012 this guy would be fired. 

Be careful. You keep this up, and you'll be mistaken for a vocal minority Colts fan.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the sentiment, but I think that might be too much to expect from Dorsett in a crowded group of pass catchers.  If he can go for 800+ yards and 7+ TDs, I'll consider it a very good pick.  There is no question that Dorsett is talented.

But see that's part of the problem.  Presuming we re-sign Hilton we just spent a first round draft pick on a guy who's gonna spend more time on the bench then on the field.  He'll be a returner and a WR that we put in when the situation favor's speedy receivers above all else.  

The only reason I can see for this pick is that Grigson's had discussions with Hilton's agent and his agent wants too much money and the Colts are prepared to let him walk.  That will be hard because Hilton is a fan favorite but at least the pick will make sense and won't be wasted.  

The other thing that bothers me is presuming TY gets re-signed. . . this isn't even the type of receiver we need.  We need guys more like Andre Johnson who can be big redzone targets.  We've had constant problems in the redzone for years now because we have a very limited number of guys who can make catches in traffic like you need in the redzone.  That's why 27.6% of Dwayne Allen's catches last year where for TD's.  Because he's one of the few guys on our team that can do that.

Uh yeah. How would a WR stop a RB from going for 200+?

Eric Reid had a solid rookie year along with other rookie defenders

The problem is the defense. That's the weakness. Offense has been in the top 10 I do believe since Luck got here

People that are solely focusing on stopping the run against New England are forgetting something: Tom Brady will carve up any D in the league. Did you not watch his performance in the Super Bowl? 4 TDs and 350 yards vs Seattle's vaunted defense, and he wasn't even sweating.

I'm sorry, but drafting a safety in the first round doesn't change that. It doesn't matter what the game plan is, New England's offense is dynamic and patient enough to exploit and neutralize the opposing team's D. For Indianapolis to beat New England, they have to score more effectively, while keeping the Patriots (hopefully) from putting up more than 28 points. 

I'd be very concerned if they gave guys like Goldman, Brown, or Collins a C+

My response would be that if that's the case then those players better flat out suck.  In fact every non quarterback/TE/WR drafted after Dorsett better suck.  

Because the only 3 places we didn't have a need was QB,TE, WR.  And the only good reason to draft a WR then is if one comes to the conclusion that he is the ONLY good player left in the draft.  

People that are solely focusing on stopping the run against New England are forgetting something: Tom Brady will carve up any D in the league. Did you not watch his performance in the Super Bowl? 4 TDs and 350 yards vs Seattle's vaunted defense, and he wasn't even sweating.

I'm sorry, but drafting a safety in the first round doesn't change that. It doesn't matter what the game plan is, New England's offense is dynamic and patient enough to exploit and neutralize the opposing team's D. For Indianapolis to beat New England, they have to score more effectively, while keeping the Patriots (hopefully) from putting up more than 28 points. 

What you are missing is that it is sad that Tom Brady didn't have to carve up our defense.  He just handed the ball to Blout.  

If we lose to the Patriots again I would at least like it to be at the hands of their best players Brady and Gronk not another one of their no name RB's.

I would rather see the stat line Pats 40 - Colts 10 Brady 420 yards 5 TD's - Gronk 176 yards 2 TD's then the stat line Pat's 40 - Colts 10 Brady 220 yards 1 TD Gronk 56 yards 1 TD - Pats RB: 227 yards 3 TD's.

It speaks volumes that their best players don't put up very big stats at all and they still beat us by 30 points.

With no named sources to cite, this is rumor and innuendo likely planted with a moronic "league source" by someone's agent.

Either go on the record or pipe down.

I was thinking the same thing.  No 'league' level person would have knowledge of what more than one Colt had to say about our #1 pick and I highly doubt any colt would make such a statement (if it traces back to them, this sort of thing is not good for team dynamics)

So, somebody made this up is what I think.  And it's Florio so..........yep

What you are missing is that it is sad that Tom Brady didn't have to carve up our defense.  He just handed the ball to Blout.  

If we lose to the Patriots again I would at least like it to be at the hands of their best players Brady and Gronk not another one of their no name RB's.

What difference does it make? A loss is a loss, especially in the playoffs. And when we only score 7 points, how can defense be the only thing that people are looking at? And while beating New England is obviously important, everyone's obsession with the Pats is getting to be a little bit too much.

There are 15 other games on the Colts schedule, and we can't expect our GM to solely look at past games vs New England and draft accordingly. There's a whole big picture here, and beating New England, while high on the list, is still only part of it.

I'm not basing it off new England. This is period. This defense needs help

I was thinking the same thing.  No 'league' level person would have knowledge of what more than one Colt had to say about our #1 pick and I highly doubt any colt would make such a statement (if it traces back to them, this sort of thing is not good for team dynamics)

Amen to that.  Not only would it be bad for team dynamics, it would be bad for their future jobs.  Making a statement like that is calling out your boss.  Last person who talked smack about the boss was Vanderjagt.   We all know what happened to him after that.

It seems there are many ways to skin a cat.... Or have the same debate over Dorsett's selection in multiple topics.

I get people being disappointed it was WR, I'm not stoked about it myself but I understand it's not a pick made in a vacuum. If he was as high on the board as they make out you have to take him every time or you might as well just throw the the whole board out the window.

Drafting positions leads to reaching and more busts, drafting good players leads to consistently good teams. The only real exception is QBs which is a position alone by itself. People have argued well of our BPA would you draft Winston... The answer is kinda yes actually. You'd hopefully have a trade partner, but if a team wants to be stubborn gambling you won't pick him having already got Luck then you darn well pick to trade later. If you can't trade him then he probably wasn't BPA and you screwed up your player assessment.

A ridiculous hypertheotical of course, but it's a ridiculous as some people using the QB arguement to discredit BPA.

Let's put it another way, Odell Beckham Jr was sat there at 29 and we picked him in this draft would there still be such an outcry over taking a WR?

So do most teams' defenses, it's a continual process, as is building a team. It's why it's so infuriatingly maddening when people treat a pick as a singular independent event.

The D wasn't as bad as people like to think, can it be better? Sure, did we go D heavy in the draft? Yep. Did we beef up a little in FA on D? Yep. It's not like they're blindly ignoring things.

This is true, and issues were addressed, especially along the d-line. But we won't know until training camp how some of these pieces are ultimately utilized. Way too early to assume that they're not going to be better as a unit.

If true, it sounds like some of these WR's need their ego's checked at the door. Competition often brings out the best in people and could do the same here. Not to mention, they all pretty much disappeared in last year's AFC Championship game.

And if they're unhappy about the pick because they think there are needs elsewhere, they need to understand their place on the food chain and stick to doing their job.

It will be the TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett show when it's time for AJ to move onto greener pastures to retire. It's a good idea to draft the extra WR now while we still have AJ. Our newly aquired defensive talent needs to step it up in camp and show they can contribute right away.

For this season i love the thought of stacking the little guys with Moncrief on one side with Andre on the other.

Luck can read who is defended by the weak link on the D and Bam. Plus looking for mismatches with Andre.

We Should be Much Better throwing underneath. A CRAZY good position to be in. JMO.

TY is a talent but will be Expendable at $10+M.

Completely agree. The offense had plenty of chances in that game to get more points on the board. Heck, even in the first matchup they struggled to put up points. Once the Patriots neutralized T.Y., the offense stalled. Obviously the other half of that is that the run game was also non-existent but that's a whole other story.

Not trying to be rude, but my goodness...feel free to let it go so people can enjoy being excited about the coming season. Is that too much to ask? It is tallied that you are not on board with the first pick. There is no doubt we'll all remember. 

This was a deep WR draft, could've easily gotten someone late. Dude is 5'9, what 5'9 WR goes first round?

Grigson just stinks with 1st round picks, it's that simple

Aside from Luck, what first round pick have we had since Grigson showed up that has lived up to a first round talent?

Get a grip.

Dude is 5'10"      He's 5'9" and 7/8.    In sports talk,   that's 5'10"    Get over it.

And your last sentence is beyond silly....

What first round pick?      Dude,  before Dorsett there was only one.    Werner.    Trent we traded,  so that would be two.

That's it.

The only numbers you need to concern yourself with are WINS.  

Those numbers have been 11,  12 and 13.

Dude..........    Nobody questioned Dorsett going in the first round,  they questioned him going to the Colts.

Big difference.

Woohoo.  I've been quoted by Nadine!  Sorta like being a professional umpire in the minors and "getting the call."  :^)

Probably the other WRs are upset that there is a new mouth to feed that will steal their touches. Get over it. It's a team game and this kid will help THE TEAM. Poor kid is thrilled to be here and all he probably heard are these reports and negative fan comments.

On the flip side, PFT always seems to be trying to start trouble. So this is probably a non-story.

we just spent a first round draft pick on a guy who's gonna spend more time on the bench then on the field. 

you dont know this at all.  dorsett will be the third WR and could be on the field on almost every snap.  we can run 3 wr sets with gore in the back field and switch between the tight ends depending on field position

Andrew Luck should publicly endorse this pick just to shut everybody up.

A lot of people are going to feel awfully stupid after Dorsett becomes one of Andrew's main targets. I bet Andrew loves the pick, which is more relevant to the success of the Colts than a bunch of upset fans and depth receivers.

For this season i love the thought of stacking the little guys with Moncrief on one side with Andre on the other.

Luck can read who is defended by the weak link on the D and Bam. Plus looking for mismatches with Andre.

We Should be Much Better throwing underneath. A CRAZY good position to be in. JMO.

TY is a talent but will be Expendable at $10+M.

Yeah I mean, nobody really knows what kind of money TY Hilton will be requesting but it will be nice to keep him. He's our best WR so I think we could figure out a way to keep him on board by cutting slack somewhere else if needed.

With no named sources to cite, this is rumor and innuendo likely planted with a moronic "league source" by someone's agent.

Either go on the record or pipe down.

More likely it's just Florio throwing % at the wall

The people that I feel would be upset are 

Carter - He chose the Colts over other teams, because he thought he would have more of a chance

Moncrief - He will have less touches this year. That has to be disappointing

Johnson - MAYBE he is upset.... he left the Texans die to a lesser role......  Someone probably said....... Your fine, you will get the touches. In fact, I bet you see Johnson run wild with underneath routes with the two speedsters on the field

If I am Moncrief and Carter...... probably not happy

But...... I am sure they will get over it.

This offense should be amazing this year...........

Didnt like the pick at first.... but excited to see where this goes

I think the players understand what the owner's vision is and have heard for years from Pagano and Co. that they are building a MONSTER, A hard-nosed, tough football team. Yet, everyone outside of the Colts building knows that the Colts are a finesse team, and this draft pick further reinforced that perception.

I think the players are upset that they didn't add toughness to the team and provide help where help was greatly needed --not to say that help was not needed at WR, but it was way down the list of areas that needed immediate help.

They'll get over it soon when they get to camp and see Dorsett flying around, perhaps flying faster than T.Y..

There is, people are just refusing to accept it.

We thought he was the best player left.

So does that mean if Mariota miraculously slipped to 29th, we take him because it's BPA right?  Im sorry people take BPA wayyy too seriously.  We don't need a franchise QB, just like we didn't need another WR.  People say you can't ever have too much talent?  That's a load of nonsense.  (Put Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, TY Hilton etc. on the same team and see if that holds true).   Let's just see at the end of this season when our 4th and 5th WR's only have 300-500 yds.  If that happens people use the excuse that player sucks, just like Hakeem Nicks!  For some reason I have a big hunch people are going to be really disappointed with Duron Carter and Moncrief.  They will probably be labeled "busts" by seasons end!  Just something to watch for...

That would be TY, Moncrief, A Johnson,  The DEFENSE.

No clue why TY, Moncrief or A Johnson would be upset.  TY struggled when he didn't have a healthy Reggie last year -- this should only take more pressure off him and allow him to get open.  Moncrief and AJ are different WRs than Dorsett and TY. 

Dorsett isn't going to sit the bench. He'll start day one. Hard to keep a guy like that off the field. He is first round talent. Comes in to any locker room and works hard. He is a clean kid too with no off field issues. He has talked to Reg, Andre and EJ about Indy. Those guys he has also trained with. So none of those guys have an issue with him. I was confused about the pick myself. Then I went back and watch the games we lost. You doubled TY and then no one could get separation. The Dallas game TY didn't play and look what happened to us? We have a running game. Bradshaw ran for 4.3 yards a carry behind our Oline. That's all we need to average. Defense guys need to get off of blocks plan and simple. It was bad seeing plays that could've been made. Our guys we're getting into backfield just missing tackles.

Dorsett's main contribution this season will be as a return man. When he runs a few back for TDs everyone will be on the bandwagon.

Who knows how he will do at that.... He doesn't have much return experience. Just because someone is fast doesn't mean they will be good at returning which is what a lot of people seem to believe.

I do believe the Colts will use him as a punt/kick returner but I don't expect him to be the guy they are looking for.

I do however think he will play a solid role as a reciever. Either due to injury or due to the rotation of recievers that the Colts like to use. It does mix up defenses at times.

Pick is over with. Colts have to deal with it. It's not like he isn't a top round draft talent. Everyone should already be hoping on his bandwagon.

So does that mean if Mariota miraculously slipped to 29th, we take him because it's BPA right?

If I thought he'd be a QB worthy of the #2 pick I'd take him. If Andrew Luck Jr. fell to there, everyone would, if only to flip him for more later.

More to your point, would you take a DT you knew would be an average player for 4-5 years or a WR guaranteed to be the GOAT? Would you pass on him because we don't need WRs? Arguments can be reduced to absurdity both directions.

Here's what I see; the Colts took a player that they believed was the most talented, and that player will have sufficient opportunity to contribute over the next 12 years or so regardless of needs now. I'd rather have the guy that could contribute more over his career than a guy who might get more playing time next year not because he's better, but because of poor depth.

If the expectation is that his main contribution to the team will be as a return specialist, that doesn't really match the value of a first round pick.  There were better options that could have been selected. 

He's small and fast.  I don't pretend to understand why they'd want another guy in that mold, but he's here.  We'll see how that plays out long term. 

Edited by 21isSuperman

They were talking about how people in the media, the fans and even Colts players were the same way when Dallas Clark was drafted. People will shut up if he plays well and helps the Colts win. If he turns out being a bust though, ohhhhh boy watch out.

They should all be upset.. same with all colts fans.. they(team member) should be very upset thats colts spent a 1st round pick on a sub 6 foot kick returner.. everyone should be embarrassed.. best part was when we traded down in the second.. hilarious

Uh yeah. How would a WR stop a RB from going for 200+?

Eric Reid had a solid rookie year along with other rookie defenders

The problem is the defense. That's the weakness. Offense has been in the top 10 I do believe since Luck got here

It would also help if our WR's weren't locked down and we could score more than 7.

If I thought he'd be a QB worthy of the #2 pick I'd take him. If Andrew Luck Jr. fell to there, everyone would, if only to flip him for more later.

More to your point, would you take a DT you knew would be an average player for 4-5 years or a WR guaranteed to be the GOAT? Would you pass on him because we don't need WRs? Arguments can be reduced to absurdity both directions.

Here's what I see; the Colts took a player that they believed was the most talented, and that player will have sufficient opportunity to contribute over the next 12 years or so regardless of needs now. I'd rather have the guy that could contribute more over his career than a guy who might get more playing time next year not because he's better, but because of poor depth.

5'9 1/2.. 185 pounds.. injury history.. GOAT?.. i cant stop laughing .. sorry