Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ulrick John

hoosierhawk

Seems as several on here are fairly high on Ulrick John. Were does the optimism come from? He was on the IR all year if I recall. Not knocking him, just curious.

From actually watching him in pre-season.

He was athletic, and was holding his blocks and moving his man very nicely.  A 2nd year of development and Ya just never know. 

There isn`t Anyone else on our roster that i care to see at LT if AC is out. So Maybe UJ?

Seems as several on here are fairly high on Ulrick John. Were does the optimism come from? He was on the IR all year if I recall. Not knocking him, just curious.

He played well in pretty limited action in pre-season.  It's hard to say how good he really is because the sample size is really low, but in the plays he did get in during pre-season he looked really good.

That's always going to get fans excited.  

For the record I may have mentioned this before but it sounds like you root for all of the right football teams.  Colts and Iowa Hawkeyes. 

7th, there is no 8th round.

And as I pointed out, he played well in the offseason in limited action.  

It sounds like Cherilus is going to be back, and if not I wouldn't mind letting him compete for the starting job, with somebody drafted early this year, but then again, why not just start an early round pick from this years draft?

From actually watching him in pre-season.

He was athletic, and was holding his blocks and moving his man very nicely.  A 2nd year of development and Ya just never know. 

There isn`t Anyone else on our roster that i care to see at LT if AC is out. So Maybe UJ?

So you were able to discern this in his 10 preseason snaps before he got injured?

For me,  the reason I'm very curious about John is how Grigson talks about him.    If you watch a Grigson interview and he's asked about Ulrick John, Grigson's face lights up...   his voice goes up...   he loves to talk about him...   one gets the feeling that Grigson thinks he's found a diamond in the rough.

Though he's currently listed at 300,  I believe I've heard Grigson reference him at 315.

I think he's someone we should all keep an eye on this off-season and pre-season.

For me,  the reason I'm very curious about John is how Grigson talks about him.    If you watch a Grigson interview and he's asked about Ulrick John, Grigson's face lights up...   his voice goes up...   he loves to talk about him...   one gets the feeling that Grigson thinks he's found a diamond in the rough.

Though he's currently listed at 300,  I believe I've heard Grigson reference him at 315.

I think he's someone we should all keep an eye on this off-season and pre-season.

Either that or he is just happy to be asked a non nonsense question.

I didn't get to see much of him as he was hurt early on in preseason, but from what I did see I would have to say there was reason for optimism. He was playing LT filling in for Castanzo which surprised me as I thought that was going to be Reitz. He was holding his blocks very well at the point of attack not giving much ground in the pass game, and moving his man in the run game. He showed IMO above average athleticism last year in the preseason enough so to make me start thinking Grigs got a steal in the draft in the 7th round. I am glad we was able to carry him through the season on IR so he can have another opportunity in camp to show what he has this preseason. Who knows he may very well have as good a shot as any for our RT hole given Gosder doesn't come back the same.

It sounds like Cherilus is going to be back, and if not I wouldn't mind letting him compete for the starting job, with somebody drafted early this year, but then again, why not just start an early round pick from this years draft?

I doubt he'd be a likely starter, however we severely need depth at tackle.  I'd be happy if he was just good depth.

Man, I hate it when people have last names as first names and first names as last names. 

Maybe the hospital accidentally erased the comma in between his real last and first name at birth.

What exactly do you pair with the last name of John?  Jonotthan?  Richard?

Elton would be worse than Ulrick.

Maybe the hospital accidentally erased the comma in between his real last and first name at birth.

What exactly do you pair with the last name of John?  Jonotthan?  Richard?

Elton would be worse than Ulrick.

Some lady at my work is named Gretchen Carol, or Carol Gretchen. I can never remember what her name is so I just say "hey" 

Last preseason when AC left with the starters, John was second in at LT. It surprised me, so I took interest in him, and watched replay after replay on him. I am not a scout, but he looked really good before he got hurt.

He passed the test with the coaches (to be so high on the depth chart) in such a short time, along with my amateur eyeball test. There is absolutely some potential with him. 

Last preseason when AC left with the starters, John was second in at LT. It surprised me, so I took interest in him, and watched replay after replay on him. I am not a scout, but he looked really good before he got hurt.

He passed the test with the coaches (to be so high on the depth chart) in such a short time, along with my amateur eyeball test. There is absolutely some potential with him.

Can you please post a link to preseason highlights of Ulrick? I didn't get the chance to watch that Jets game in which he made his appearance.