Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets file tampering charges against the Patriots.

Dustin

I agree. Both are silly and petty, but it's possible that Woody Johnson's comments influenced Revis' market (or his opinion of his potential market), and affected his negotiations with the Patriots. I'm of the opinion that Revis was going to free agency no matter what, and I thought that last year when he signed the tricky contract in the first place, so I think it's immaterial. But if either team tampered, it was the Jets, not the Pats.

Of course, this is a *-for-tat kind of thing between the two teams. It's not the first time either has accused the other of tampering. This back and forth goes back to at least the Deion Branch deal in 2006.

And the Pats tampered last year when they signed Revis. Unless of coarse you are gullible enough to believe NE and Revis hammered out a contract in the 2-3 hours after the Bucs cut him. 

And the Pats tampered last year when they signed Revis. Unless of coarse you are gullible enough to believe NE and Revis hammered out a contract in the 2-3 hours after the Bucs cut him. 

There's no reason an NFL contract can't be worked out in 2-3 hours.

There's no reason an NFL contract can't be worked out in 2-3 hours.

Never sat in the negotiations to see for myself. I read that this was pretty unlikely and the feeling was that negotiations started before Revis was released. IMO , there is tampering galore that goes on and they (teams) pretty much let it go as they probably all do it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2409111-insider-buzz-nfl-execs-believe-patriots-originally-tampered-with-revis-in-2014

Never sat in the negotiations to see for myself. I read that this was pretty unlikely and the feeling was that negotiations started before Revis was released. IMO , there is tampering galore that goes on and they (teams) pretty much let it go as they probably all do it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2409111-insider-buzz-nfl-execs-believe-patriots-originally-tampered-with-revis-in-2014

Yeah, there's obviously tampering all the time. The issue is proving it. And to me, "they did Revis' contract in less than 3 hours" isn't really proof that they tampered. 

They have to find a way to beat them at something I suppose, Since 2002 the Patriots have won 21 of 28 games

The New York media treated signing Revis like it was their Super Bowl victory.. with the cover of papers and magazines that had a picture of Revis with a score of Jets 24, Pats 0

They're a clown show of an organization.. but never the less, their defense is going to be ferocious next year. 

The New York media treated signing Revis like it was their Super Bowl victory.. with the cover of papers and magazines that had a picture of Revis with a score of Jets 24, Pats 0

They're a clown show of an organization.. but never the less, their defense is going to be ferocious next year.

"like it was their Super Bowl victory"

That's because it basically was.....and they know it...Though obviously they are not (and should not) going to say that....They could have had Mike Glennon...I think the Jets would have been much more competitive by now...He keeps getting a raw deal in Tampa

Yeah, there's obviously tampering all the time. The issue is proving it. And to me, "they did Revis' contract in less than 3 hours" isn't really proof that they tampered. 

I don't think anyone said there was proof of NE tampering with Revis in 2014. I just said I think one would be gullible to think a guy like Revis would do a contract that quickly. It's not like he makes a habit of leaving himself vulnerable after he leaves the negotiating table. Just thought it was ironic that NE filed charges when they very likely could have tampered with the same player the year before.

The Pats don't win the Super Bowl w/o Revis.  He is your version of Deion Sanders....One could argue the Pats (despite the "so called brilliance" of Brady and BB) had to buy their Super Bowl by hiring the best CB in the business.  I know lots of gurus are saying the Colts are the favorite to win the Super Bowl, but if we had gotten Revis, I might just believe them. 

The Pats don't win the Super Bowl w/o Revis.  He is your version of Deion Sanders....One could argue the Pats (despite the "so called brilliance" of Brady and BB) had to buy their Super Bowl by hiring the best CB in the business.  I know lots of gurus are saying the Colts are the favorite to win the Super Bowl, but if we had gotten Revis, I might just believe them. 

He helped push them over the edge.. but that was their 4th AFCCG in a row.. so they made it to 3 in a row before Revis was ever wearing a uniform.. he certainly helped them have a solid secondary, although coincidentally the secondary played pretty poorly in the post season with the exception of the Colts game.. 

The Ravens torched them, Revis had 3 penalties in that game which tied for the number of penalties he had ALL YEAR and one of them negated a turnover

The Seahawks were tossing bombs all over the field in the Super Bowl.. they scored with 39 seconds left in the 2nd quarter before half, and then drove down the field in the final seconds of the game to the 1 yard line for the go ahead touchdown... and we all know how that ended.

Pats will still be a contender without Revis, they're just going to have to figure out different ways to scheme in the secondary.  They have an incredibly talented front 7, and that is all you really need in this league to have a shot to win.  It certainly doesn't hurt to have the best Slot CB in the game and a top 3 Free Safety either, so its not like they're working with garbage back there.. They can still be a good defense, 1 guy isn't going to take down the entire deck of cards, there were 10 other guys on that field contributing

I don't think anyone said there was proof of NE tampering with Revis in 2014. I just said I think one would be gullible to think a guy like Revis would do a contract that quickly. It's not like he makes a habit of leaving himself vulnerable after he leaves the negotiating table. Just thought it was ironic that NE filed charges when they very likely could have tampered with the same player the year before.

Because Kraft did not come and say he wanted Revis while he was still a Buc. That is the difference here. Had Woody never said anything, the Pats never file but what he said is textbook tampering and worth a draft pick potentially. Honestly, the Jets served up a pancake to the Pats on this one, just like they do on the field time and time again. lol.

Because Kraft did not come and say he wanted Revis while he was still a Buc. That is the difference here. Had Woody never said anything, the Pats never file but what he said is textbook tampering and worth a draft pick potentially. Honestly, the Jets served up a pancake to the Pats on this one, just like they do on the field time and time again. lol.

I never argued that what Woody said did not fit the bill for tampering. Just was pointing out that the situation might have  a tad of irony to it.

I never argued that what Woody said did not fit the bill for tampering. Just was pointing out that the situation might have  a tad of irony to it.

Tampering happens all the time and the league knows this. Let's face it a team has to be pretty dull to get caught doing this to where it is able to be proved and of course the Jets did just that. No surprise there.

You're forgetting one part of that situation though that makes it different....before Revis was released from the Bucs, they were trying to work out trades for him. By all accounts, New England was one of those teams that was in on it, but in the end no deal was made. We all know that some trades include additional conversations about the player in terms of signing extensions and what not. In that case, showing the interest in a player by trying to trade for him and negotiate contract extensions and deal with numbers is not tampering...so after he was released theres no reason to believe that it wouldnt be easy to work out a deal with the Patriots since it was already well known that they wanted him. Totally different situation than the tampering we are talking about here with the Jets. 

You're forgetting one part of that situation though that makes it different....before Revis was released from the Bucs, they were trying to work out trades for him. By all accounts, New England was one of those teams that was in on it, but in the end no deal was made. We all know that some trades include additional conversations about the player in terms of signing extensions and what not. In that case, showing the interest in a player by trying to trade for him and negotiate contract extensions and deal with numbers is not tampering...so after he was released theres no reason to believe that it wouldnt be easy to work out a deal with the Patriots since it was already well known that they wanted him. Totally different situation than the tampering we are talking about here with the Jets. 

I really don't remember , so by you saying I'm forgetting one thing ... it would be correct. 

So the Jets owner was asked if he would like to have Revis back on the Jets....   WTH do you think he is going to say??  Every owner would like Revis on their team...  

That may be the case, but there are things you think and there are things you say.

"He was a terrific player when we had him, any team would be lucky to have a talent like that on their team".

"I only talk about New York Jets players"

That's it. It isn't that hard.

So the Jets owner was asked if he would like to have Revis back on the Jets.... WTH do you think he is going to say?? Every owner would like Revis on their team...

you say anything but "I'd love to have Darrell back on the Jets, if I knew the money he signed for was good enough we would have been interested"

He commented on really wanting Revis back on the Jets after they showed little interest in him before he signed with New England.. so by him coming out and saying they would really like him back, knowing that he's coming up on a critical option bonus very easily can be argued that it made Revis and his camp aware of their desire and to hold off negotiations with the Pats.

His second huge error is that he literally commented on what he signed with the Pats for and said the Jets would have given him that.

Both parts of that are, to the letter of the rule, tampering. It's literally used as an example right in the rule itself, so it can't be argued that it wasnt.

The Jets filing against the Patriots is just a middle finger, the 2 examples are not even close to the same.. you're allowed to talk about a departed free agent in past tense.. you're not allowed to talk about wanting another teams player as the 2 sides are actively in negotiations.. negotiationS that are suppose to be EXCLUSIVE to the team that has the rights to the player

Woody: “Darrelle is a great player, and if I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for [what the Patriots paid], I probably would’ve taken him,” Johnson said, via the Boston Herald. “And it was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle is a great player. I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

Kraft: “We thought we made a very competitive offer, and I speak as a fan of the New England Patriots, we wanted to keep him, we wanted him in our system,” Kraft said. “And we have certain disciplines. We had hoped it worked out. It didn’t.”

Tamperiing: “refers to any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL.”

Woody made his statement in December when the Pats and Revis were probably working on an extension.  Kraft made his at a time when Revis was under contract for five years.  In other words, while Woody's words may have influenced the relationship between employer and employee, it is not possible that Kraft's could have done the same.  Woody telegraphs a bid (what the Patriots paid) and outright says he would love to have Revis back.

Kraft simply explains why Revis is no longer a Patriot with any references to Revis in the past tense.

I'm sure tampering goes on all the time, but this was a very public breech of the rules.  I would compare this to spygate in that sense -- everyone does it, the Patriots were asked to stop doing it, and continued to do it with no effort to conceal the taping.  The punishment, in both cases would be for flagrancy

I don't believe the NFL was directly involved in resolving the 'tampering' that lured Parcells to the Jets and Belichick back to the Patriots.  I believe, technically, these things were worked out as trades.  Personally, I think Parcells was a Jet before the Super Bowl, and I think it is fair to say that tampering may have impacted the preparation for, execution of, an outcome of that game.

Given the circumstances, this enticement cannot be settled with a trade, so I expect the commish to award a pick to the Pats.  Doing this will prevent the NFL from immediately changing the rules on tampering, but I could see all of that being addressed in a future CBA.

BTW, I'm not sure that the Patriots are unhappy with the outcome.  I don't think they were very interested in Revis at $20m or the price paid by the Jets.  With Revis exiled to New Jersey, he is not playing for a potential playoff contender.  The Pats get a lot of cap space back, a comp pick, and probably a tampering pick.  After practicing against and playing with Revis for a year, Bill probably has a 'plan' for their twice annual meetings.

I would also say that the Border War has made football more interesting in New England and New York for nearly twenty years.  With Rex in Buffalo, the AFC East is going to be more fun.

billionaire cry babies. Revis went to the highest bidder. It had nothing to do with what Woody Johnson had to say.

Exactly it was always about the money & the Patriots were not willing to pay & they had said as much so to cry foul & tampering is a joke just another way to game the system . The Patriots a victim never .  They remind me of a statement I heard once " I am not a crook " .

While they may not be a crook they have a pattern of being crooked from day 1 of the Belichick era they deserve no sympathy or draft picks .

Exactly it was always about the money & the Patriots were not willing to pay & they had said as much so to cry foul & tampering is a joke just another way to game the system . The Patriots a victim never .  They remind me of a statement I heard once " I am not a crook " .

While they may not be a crook they have a pattern of being crooked from day 1 of the Belichick era they deserve no sympathy or draft picks .

Except Revis did not go to the highest bidder not according to him anyways, http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/211059611/revis-pats-offer-wasnt-ballpark. He said other teams were in the mix with the Pats and Jets and some teams wanted to meet in person with him but he declined because he wanted to go to the Jets. I think there was a lot more at play between him and the Jets than just money and Woody's comments most likely reflect conversations that were going on between them since last year that made him want to go back ...

Except Revis did not go to the highest bidder not according to him anyways, http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/211059611/revis-pats-offer-wasnt-ballpark. He said other teams were in the mix with the Pats and Jets and some teams wanted to meet in person with him but he declined because he wanted to go to the Jets. I think there was a lot more at play between him and the Jets than just money and Woody's comments most likely reflect conversations that were going on between them since last year that made him want to go back ...

Thank You for the link - 

Revis ultimately signed with the Jets for five years and $70 million, with $39 million guaranteed. Some may say Revis only chose the Jets because of the money he was offered. He said it takes both sides to agree upon a deal.

While many teams were interested there was the Jets who were his first team with whom he preferred in the article.

I find no one offering a larger payday than the Jets although 1 could say he apparently was happy about the opportunity to play once again in the big apple & really it seems did not look further IMO his agent probably did & advised his client that this was most likely the best deal out there . just my opinion ..

Thank You for the link - 

While many teams were interested there was the Jets who were his first team with whom he preferred in the article.

I find no one offering a larger payday than the Jets although 1 could say he apparently was happy about the opportunity to play once again in the big apple & really it seems did not look further IMO his agent probably did & advised his client that this was most likely the best deal out there . just my opinion ..

I would guess there were other teams offering the same deal or more as some of the teams interested in him had a lot of cap room like the Jets. I do think he wanted to go back as far back as last off-season but the Jets did not want him then. I do think Woody saying what he did back last year was a tip off that the Jets had re-engaged with him coming back. Had Woody never said anything the Pats would have not been able to prove tampering which does happen all the time.

Yes. A #1. The best pick Kraft said he ever gave away. Do you remember what player the Jets got for that? Was it Pennington?

Shaun Ellis.

The only point in any of this nonsense is that Woody Johnson is a bubble-headed billionaire. For an owner to make the comments he made, intentions aside, is pretty poor form. It makes him look like even more of a clown than he really is. And since by all accounts Revis thought he was persona non grata in NY, it would not be wild to speculate that Woody's comments in December changed Revis' perception of the odds of ever going back. 

Just so I'm clear, I don't think, in the end, he was ever staying in NE. But what Johnson did is almost the definition of tampering. What Kraft said was anything but. Just look at the verb tense in each statement.