Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

mcdonald or guy

CR91

lets assume the colts will not draft a safety and wont pick one up in free agency and either mcdonald or guy starts. can they produce as a starter at a solid level, not even saying good level, a solid level. mcdonald does have good size at 6 foot 220 and was a good contributor on STs. guy is a former starter from the jags so he does have experience. im not advocating for either one, however there arent much options left. the colts dont seem to be interested in pollard and Im really not excited about any safety in the draft. perhaps we can draft josh shaw and move him to safety

This is a question which the information gap between us and those in the building is pretty huge. So we don't know. My guess would be McDonald. If the coaches believe that either one of them is able to step up to be a starter that can only be a good thing, and we still could add one in the draft even if that is the case.

I'm hoping that's an assumption that won't happen. I don't like either as starters, but that could change after watching them in the preseason games.

Since we haven't addressed it in free agency, and it's probably our biggest hole, maybe we're gearing up for a draft day trade?

Move up to get Collins? Adams is getting up there and Collins could be a great one.

No they can't.

That's why I don't think so we can assume they won't draft one or sign a free agent before or after the draft. Also, Grigson might make a trade. He's not shy in that area. I don't know what they are going to do but I do think it's safe to say the other starter at safety is on not on this roster right now.

No neither can IMO. We would be wise to not go into the season with one of those guys starting. Its pretty simple to just draft a guy like Tartt or Smith in the 2nd. Especially when we have an old safety already who may not produce like he did last year.

Hes average against the pass. If history has taught us anything its don't draft a Safety high who cant play the pass well.

He's more of a SS. He can hang with TEs, but I agree, he'd get torched if asked to play FS. I like how he hits and he has the size to play the run game well.

This years safety class gets thin after him. So we need to address it soon if we're not going for Collins. I cant see us starting the season with one experienced S on the roster.

On a different note, did you see that Joe Young will be at the Vet Combine? He used to be Joe Lefeged.

I want to see what Dewey Can do.  He's not shy about laying some wood, good size and his speed is good.

I think he just needs a little bit of experience.  The guy has about 3 to 4 college degrees so I know

he's got the defense down packed. Not sure about his natural instincts, but I think he's certainly worth

a shot. Only knock I've seen so far(and I saw this in his film) is he doesn't have the greatest hands in

the world.  I'm real interested to see what he's got.

I want to see what Dewey Can do. He's not shy about laying some wood, good size and his speed is good.

I think he just needs a little bit of experience. The guy has about 3 to 4 college degrees so I know

he's got the defense down packed. Not sure about his natural instincts, but I think he's certainly worth

a shot. Only knock I've seen so far(and I saw this in his film) is he doesn't have the greatest hands in

the world. I'm real interested to see what he's got.

That fake punt vs Dallas makes me cry.

I believe the Colts will draft a safety.

Whether it's in the 3rd round or the 6th round I think we'll take one. 

If the draft ends and we have not taken a safety I'd be very surprised.

We may, but I'd be surprised if any S taken in the third round on would be better than the guys on our roster now. I think we'll keep 4, so that last guy would mostly play STs.

We have to pick up a veteran at some point, even if he's not a starter. If Adams goes down we're really green.

We may, but I'd be surprised if any S taken in the third round on would be better than the guys on our roster now. I think we'll keep 4, so that last guy would mostly play STs.

We have to pick up a veteran at some point, even if he's not a starter. If Adams goes down we're really green.

Understood and agreed.

I'm not expecting a starting caliber safety out of this draft.    I think we may find one,  but I'm not expecting it.

If we get one in the 6th round,  then even if he makes the 53 (which I wouldn't expect)  he'd likely only be a ST guy.    Otherwise, he'd be a candidate for the practice squad.

Understood and agreed.

I'm not expecting a starting caliber safety out of this draft.    I think we may find one,  but I'm not expecting it.

If we get one in the 6th round,  then even if he makes the 53 (which I wouldn't expect)  he'd likely only be a ST guy.    Otherwise, he'd be a candidate for the practice squad.

If we don't trade up for Collins, Prewitt from Ole Miss may be around in the second. But I'm not sure he's starter material either.

Grigs knows it's our weakest spot, he'll do something to fix it. Maybe Dewey or Guy have improved enough.

Is Howell still on the team?

If we don't trade up for Collins, Prewitt from Ole Miss may be around in the second. But I'm not sure he's starter material either.

Grigs knows it's our weakest spot, he'll do something to fix it. Maybe Dewey or Guy have improved enough.

I'm not sure Howell is still on the team.    I believe his contract is up and we haven't re-signed him......  yet.

It's possible we're going to shy away from him due to health reasons.....  but I think if he clears his medicals, then I'd guess we'll sign him to a vet-minimum type of contract to see if he can make the team and contribute.

I have 10 guys on my radar....

Prewitt and Holoman are not there yet for me...   I haven't liked what I've read about them thus far.

The guys I like....

Possible 2nd rounders:   Smith (Fresno)  Randall (ASU)  Harris (Virginia)

Possible 3rd  rounders:   Sample (Louisville)  Gaethers (South or Central Florida)   Tartt (Samford)

4th round and beyond:   Amos (Penn St)  Drummond (Michigan State)  Campbell (Northwestern)  Richards (Stanford)

Perhaps any star with Alabama ties is assumed to be vastly overrated by some fans, at least until the TRich fiasco has a few years to be forgotten.

Trent Richardson

Mark Ingram

Robert Lester

Mark Barron

DJ Fluker

Just to name a few Bama "stars" who've been duds or haven't lived up to the hype in the NFL

Trent Richardson

Mark Ingram

Robert Lester

Mark Barron

DJ Fluker

Just to name a few Bama "stars" who've been duds or haven't lived up to the hype in the NFL

Mark Ingrams played pretty well as a whole when called on, especially last year, He just was dinged up a lot his first couple years

Mark Ingrams played pretty well as a whole when called on, especially last year, He just was dinged up a lot his first couple years

Contract years don't count, everyone does well cause you tryna get paid

All years before last season he's been hurt and when he wasn't hurt he was below average

Trent Richardson

Mark Ingram

Robert Lester

Mark Barron

DJ Fluker

Bama has so many guys drafted, you can't make snap judgements (unless you want to sound ignorant).

Fluker and Ingram have both been good, and I don't want to hear a qualifier about not counting contract years. That's plain dumb.

Geez, Lester was. UDFA who's contributed. Baron is the only bust so far, and the Rams may turn that around.

If people are afraid of drafting Bama players because of TRich, they're opinions aren't very well informed to say the least.

Rant over.

Reports are Guy was told he had a future here that is why he turned down offers to remain on the PS. The kid might have gotten better or be a perfect system fit who knows but staff seem comfortable with him

This was the same response Adams received last year no one was happy about Sergio getting his chance to play. That worked out well.

I am sure we will bring in plenty of competition but I get the feeling we are prepared to go with Guy/Anderson/Dewey

I'm not sure there is a day one starter at S in the draft maybe Collins certainly don't think he's the kind of player that would impact our D enough to give up the resources it would cost to move up for him if he goes top half of the 1st. If we move up I'd hope it's for a game changer.

we have to draft a safety at some point. id guess second or third

I would be surprised if we go that early unless Collins slips to us. I don't see a S with better than a 3rd grade dangerous picking by need.

I don't think Grigs sees it as the huge hole the board does

I have 10 guys on my radar....

Prewitt and Holoman are not there yet for me...   I haven't liked what I've read about them thus far.

The guys I like....

Possible 2nd rounders:   Smith (Fresno)  Randall (ASU)  Harris (Virginia)

Possible 3rd  rounders:   Sample (Louisville)  Gaethers (South or Central Florida)   Tartt (Samford)

4th round and beyond:   Amos (Penn St)  Drummond (Michigan State)  Campbell (Northwestern)  Richards (Stanford)

i like Randall in the second, sample in the third, and drummond in the fifth or sixth round...

draft either of them and let them battle it out with dewey for the other starting safety...adams can play either FS or SS