Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential RB depth chart (not as straightforward as you'd think)

Chucklez

Ballard was average. He was good for his draft round, better then Brown that season, but he wasn't ever going to be a game changer. The injuries will probably make him below average.

Bradshaw was good, above average, not a star, but did have moments. But he can't stay healthy.

Boom is average, nothing really outstanding in his game and he does fumble a lot.

I would bring in some more bodies and let Boom and Ballard try to win their jobs. I would let Bradshaw go. When he came to the Colts it was pretty much because nobody else offered him a contract. Odds are after 2 more seasons ending in major injuries nobody is gonna offer him a contract. You can always pick him up later if Ballard isn't impressing anyone in camp or he gets hurt right away again.

If someone else takes Bradshaw then its not a huge loss because he won't make it to the end of the season if they start him.

Boom will probably be the #2 or #3 back, right now I would say it depends on if they draft someone or Ballard somehow comes out strong.

Gore was signed primarily because he is a STUD pass blocking back, and he is a GREAT inside T runner...   but he is 32 years old to expect him to carry a load of even 200 carries is ridiculous in my mind.   Indy will be drafting another back.   I would bet my house on it.      And I look for Gore to settle into a 3rd down / obvious passing down role.     

If Indy tries to ride him hard he won't make it past week 8.  He will be uses same as Brad was.      I would actually not mind seeing Brad back...         Anyone know if that is any kind of option?  If  not even more of a sign this team is drafting a RB.

Tev Coleman please...      in the second...     PLEASE BE THERE   If not Indy will get one.    

I don't think our RB depth chart is going to be a tough one to figure out this year. Yes Gore will be the #1, that is the easy part, from there it's anyone's gig I think for the backup and #3 role.

It could easily go in any of the following orders depending on a number of factors.

Gore > Ballard > Boom > Mid to late round draft pick

Gore > Mid to late round draft pick > Ballard > Boom

Gore > Boom > Ballard > Mid to late round draft pick

You get the idea....

I think this year's camp is going to be very interesting in deciding who gets that backup role. Ballard showed real promise before going out on two season ending non contact injuries, who knows if he gets even close to where he was health wise. Boom showed potential for someone we claimed off waivers and of course this is a deep RB draft class this year.

What order do you think it will end up in? It's anyone's guess at this point really, but it's always fun to speculate.

I would expect the order to be...

1.  Gore

2.  Mid-round draft pick

3.  Boom

4.  Ballard

Could Boom be 2nd ahead of the draft pick?    Sure, it's possible.   But I think the Colts would like for the draft pick to be not only the back-up but the possible replacement for Gore in 2017.

Gore was signed primarily because he is a STUD pass blocking back, and he is a GREAT inside T runner...   but he is 32 years old to expect him to carry a load of even 200 carries is ridiculous in my mind.   Indy will be drafting another back.   I would bet my house on it.      And I look for Gore to settle into a 3rd down / obvious passing down role.     

If Indy tries to ride him hard he won't make it past week 8.  He will be uses same as Brad was.      I would actually not mind seeing Brad back...         Anyone know if that is any kind of option?  If  not even more of a sign this team is drafting a RB.

Tev Coleman please...      in the second...     PLEASE BE THERE   If not Indy will get one.    

I think you're going to be surprised....   very surprised.

Gore has totaled 250 carries in almost every one of his 11 seasons.   The man is a machine.   There were two main years he had an injury and only played in 11 games, and his rookie year.    Otherwise,  count on 250.  He's right around that figure every year.   That's only 15-16 per game.

200 carries is only 12.5 per game.    If that's all Gore is getting then we've wasted our money.   We did not sign him for his pass blocking.  It's a nice addition,  but his primary job is to run between the tackles...

Here's his profile....

2014  SF  16  16  255  1,106  4.3  52T  4  11  111  10.1  55T  1  2  2

2013  SF  16  16  276  1,128  4.1  51    9  16  141   8.8   29    0  3  3

2012  SF  16  16  258  1,214  4.7  37    8  28  234   8.4   26    1  2  1

2011  SF  16  15  282  1,211  4.3  55    8  17  114   6.7   13    0  2  2

2010  SF  11  11  203     853  4.2  64    3  46  452   9.8   41    2  4  2

2009  SF  14  14  229  1,120  4.9  80T 10 52  406   7.8   48    3  4  2

2008  SF  14  14  240  1,036  4.3  41T  6  43  373   8.7   26    2  6  3

2007  SF  15  15  260  1,102  4.2  43T  5  53  436   8.2   23T  1  4  3

2006  SF  16  16  312  1,695  5.4  72    8  61  485    8     39    1  6  5

2005  SF  14   1   127    608  4.8  72T   3  15  131   8.7   47    0  2  2

Im expecting

1.Gore

2.Draft Pick

I have no idea after that. I don't think any are a lock after the first two but I'd say NCF is accurate, Maybe Grigson moves on from Ballard and moves forward with Tipton seeing as how he don't have the injury history and the best ability is durability.....But Ballard sure does have talent

I do like that idea and I'd be open to bringing Bradshaw back, but I just don't see the Colts doing it.

Interesting how you completely dismiss the idea of Ballard at all though. Obviously he has the durability issues too and we havent seen him play for two seasons, but thats not to say he doesnt come back strong. It may not be likely, but I'd like to see him in the #2 or #3 role if he can prove he's healthy. 

What gives me hope for Ballard is he never had any injury history before these two. They might just be freak occurrences and he might play out the rest of his career and never get another injury like it.

An Achilles injury to a RB is pretty devastating add the ACL the year prior Ballard making it back will be very difficult.

Gore was brought in to be the "cowbell" while we draft the future in my opinion. I am not sure the future is positively this year. I would expect to see much less of a rotation and Gore predominantly on the field with the O.  

I don't believe we will go RB early if a back that we like is there on day 3 we take him. I just don't see RB being as much of an immediate need but if a Moncrief situation occurs Grig's will jump on it. If a RB that is too good to pass is there in the 3rd we take a long look. 

Tipton will have to fight for his spot with UDFA's. I am hoping Grant is one of them.

Depth chart I think will be Gore Boom after that it depends on how the draft plays out.

I could see Bradshaw being an ace in the hole still available after the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000224126/article/achilles-tendeon-tear-a-death-knell-for-running-backs

You think Ballard is better than Bradshaw..?
frwnkly I dont think any of us truly know what to expect from Ballard going into this season but he's still under contract whioe Bradshaw is a free agent. After two years were cut short by injury I don't think they are going to re-sign bradshaw. If Ballard struggles in the pre-season he could end up released too.

Oh I know how durable Gore has been....   

but he is human.         and a RB in the NFL....     

I think you're going to be surprised....   very surprised.

Gore has totaled 250 carries in almost every one of his 11 seasons.   The man is a machine.   There were two main years he had an injury and only played in 11 games, and his rookie year.    Otherwise,  count on 250.  He's right around that figure every year.   That's only 15-16 per game.

200 carries is only 12.5 per game.    If that's all Gore is getting then we've wasted our money.   We did not sign him for his pass blocking.  It's a nice addition,  but his primary job is to run between the tackles...

Here's his profile....

2014  SF  16  16  255  1,106  4.3  52T  4  11  111  10.1  55T  1  2  2

2013  SF  16  16  276  1,128  4.1  51    9  16  141   8.8   29    0  3  3

2012  SF  16  16  258  1,214  4.7  37    8  28  234   8.4   26    1  2  1

2011  SF  16  15  282  1,211  4.3  55    8  17  114   6.7   13    0  2  2

2010  SF  11  11  203     853  4.2  64    3  46  452   9.8   41    2  4  2

2009  SF  14  14  229  1,120  4.9  80T 10 52  406   7.8   48    3  4  2

2008  SF  14  14  240  1,036  4.3  41T  6  43  373   8.7   26    2  6  3

2007  SF  15  15  260  1,102  4.2  43T  5  53  436   8.2   23T  1  4  3

2006  SF  16  16  312  1,695  5.4  72    8  61  485    8     39    1  6  5

2005  SF  14   1   127    608  4.8  72T   3  15  131   8.7   47    0  2  2

Fair point.    Rb's don't last and those that do tend to get old really fast.

But the deal, while publicly listed as a 3-year deal,  is set-up to be a 2-year deal.   We can cut him after two with little or no cap hit.

And I think while he'll be the primary back,  I think he'll have a time share,  either with whoever we draft,  or with Boom.

His load will be managed....    so I hope that helps him and the Colts get through the next two years.

Oh I know how durable Gore has been....   

but he is human.         and a RB in the NFL....     

I'd like to think that we would draft a RB in round 3 or 4 to act as Gore's running mate and student. Someone like Ameer Abdullah I would be extremely happy with mainly because he reminds me a lot of Gore. Confident north south runner who hits the hole faster than anyone in this draft class imo.

Boom I like and is good depth but I don't think he has the talent to be relied on as a consistent #2 threat. That and his fumble issues puts him at a comfortable #3 in my eyes. 

Ballard, oh boy, I love him as a player. But I cant rely on a player coming off of two serious season ending injuries, who hasn't played a game day snap in almost 2 seasons. I'd love to think that we could but we just cant. Love the guy, but I see him being cut in/after camp.

Defense in the first 2/3 rounds then a RB would be a good draft in my eyes.

My depth chart would be:

Gore  -  Mid round draft pick  -  Boom  -  Ballard if he isn't cut. I he is cut then Tipton.

Yes...all of THIS.

Tipton is an interesting player to me,  I have kind of sold him short.       But I liked what little I got to see of him.

I just don't see the Colts not picking up a RB in the first 3 rounds of this draft ..     way too many to let go bye.

Did I forget to mention I like Tev Coleman..  heehee

man i REALLY hope ballard can stay healthy, he played lights out his rookie year and hasnt been able to catch a break. if he does, i easily see it being gore > ballard > boom. once boom gets rid of his fumbling issues, then he could be bumped up

I'd like to think that we would draft a RB in round 3 or 4 to act as Gore's running mate and student. Someone like Ameer Abdullah I would be extremely happy with mainly because he reminds me a lot of Gore. Confident north south runner who hits the hole faster than anyone in this draft class imo.

Boom I like and is good depth but I don't think he has the talent to be relied on as a consistent #2 threat. That and his fumble issues puts him at a comfortable #3 in my eyes. 

Ballard, oh boy, I love him as a player. But I cant rely on a player coming off of two serious season ending injuries, who hasn't played a game day snap in almost 2 seasons. I'd love to think that we could but we just cant. Love the guy, but I see him being cut in/after camp.

Defense in the first 2/3 rounds then a RB would be a good draft in my eyes.

My depth chart would be:

Gore  -  Mid round draft pick  -  Boom  -  Ballard if he isn't cut. I he is cut then Tipton.

If we draft a RB any sooner than 5th or 6th, I'll cry. I will cry. 

If Gore isn't getting 250 carries, it wasn't a good signing by the Colts.  Gore is not you classic homerun hitter.  He's a move the chain guy who gets in rhythm running behind his blockers seeing tendencies in the defense.  He's his best getting about 14-18 carries per game. 

Gore finished last season with the Niners on 255 carries. I highly doubt we suddenly make him carry it over 55 times less. With the legit power running back that Pep has craved, we will almost certainly try to open the passing game up by forcing it down opponents throats through Gore.... I bet Pep slips back into his 2013 ways and power runs it, even if it is ineffective.

I bet Gore finishes the season on 210 carries (minimum) - so long as he doesn't get injured. He'd only have to average slightly over 13 carries a game to do that....

I don't want to see the likes of Herron or Tipton getting any significant amount of carries.  yeah Herron did alright considering the circumstances, but he's no more than a #3 back IMO.  

I'm all for bringing back Bradshaw and adding a mid round RB, but I don't see him coming back unfortunately.

As well as he blocks, Gore is not good at catching the ball. I`ll take the bet that he plays fewer than others on 3rd down passing situations.

I think it's clear cut that Boom is the two, now. Hopefully, he can cut down on the fumbles, because he is a fun back to watch. His acceleration is what sticks out to me. It seemed like if he was running full speed as soon as he touches the ball. I wouldn't mind giving Ballard a camp shot. I doubt Bradshaw is re-signed. Too many injuries, and now the arrest, but weirder things have happened.