Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next year could be our 13-3 type year

Ohio Colt

Home Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, New England, NY Jets, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Denver Away

Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Buffalo, Miami, Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh

Really feel like our schedule is light - I know everyone improves, I know everyone will be different; but our toughest opponents are at home and I think we are gonna go all in to get to a SB in 2015, they know a lot of the guys are in their prime and Luck at age 26 will be ready to take the next step.

I absolutely expect a 12-4 or 13-3 just based on our opponents and I'm by no means a homer I am a bit of a pessimist.

I would hope our needs would be seriously addressed after year three of the rebuild and still getting our butts whipped by New England. I said it on other threads I think we regressed. Going into last year everyone on the forum was saying we have no reason not to win them all except New England and denver. The year before we beat seattle San fran and denver, three of the final four, lost to Miami, to SD on MNF Bc we can't stop the run, lost to Arizona cinci and St. Louis after losing reggie and the wheels completely went off the tracks. We were in great position even after losing allen and Bradshaw but couldn't come back from losing reggie. At least we knocked off the big dogs, this year we destroyed everyone who we should have (aka our weak division) and had some other good wins. We did not beat a single team that was playoff caliber, we did get screwed vs philly but Pitt has no business putting up 5 or 6 tds just bc vontae is out w a concussion, no reason for an unknown runningback to score four tds on us. I know we were resting guys for Dallas and doing fake punts on our own 20 in the first quarter but we beat decimated bengals teams and a weaker denver team in the playoffs, didn't really beat anyone despite making it farther than previously. Other teams will get better too so just hope grigson actually nails it this offseason.

Home Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, New England, NY Jets, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Denver Away

Really feel like our schedule is light - I know everyone improves, I know everyone will be different; but our toughest opponents are at home and I think we are gonna go all in to get to a SB in 2015, they know a lot of the guys are in their prime and Luck at age 26 will be ready to take the next step.

I absolutely expect a 12-4 or 13-3 just based on our opponents and I'm by no means a homer I am a bit of a pessimist.

I"ll stick with 11-5 for now.

It's very early, and who knows what we'll do in free agency and the draft,  but as things stand right now I feel more comfortable at 11-5 than anything else.

13-3 is a possibility, but I think you are really underestimating some of the teams on our schedule.

I guess that don't see that schedule as being as easy as some of you do. I think Houston will be improved again although they still have a problem at QB. I see Denver, the Steelers, Buffalo, Jets, New England, Carolina, New Orleans and Miami as tough opponents. I could see five or six losses in that group and probably no more than 10 to 11 wins. I am a big fan but I try to keep things a bit real and I would rather be happily surprised by better results and less down if they only come up with those 10 to 11 wins.

13-3 is a possibility, but I think you are really underestimating some of the teams on our schedule.

I agree. And its unlikely that the NFC south will be as awful too, all 4 of those teams will more than likely be improved.

I don't think it's an easy schedule by any means. But 10-12 wins is still doable assuming we upgrade this off season too

I guess that don't see that schedule as being as easy as some of you do. I think Houston will be improved again although they still have a problem at QB. I see Denver, the Steelers, Buffalo, Jets, New England, Carolina, New Orleans and Miami as tough opponents. I could see five or six losses in that group and probably no more than 10 to 11 wins. I am a big fan but I try to keep things a bit real and I would rather be happily surprised by better results and less down if they only come up with those 10 to 11 wins.

yeah mean you are really "keeping it real there" with your prediction of losing to the 4-12 Jets

It will depend when you play Miami and Buffalo. In their elements, both teams are very difficult. New England will probably be a loss, although you should take care of Denver at home.

I"ll stick with 11-5 for now.

It's very early, and who knows what we'll do in free agency and the draft, but as things stand right now I feel more comfortable at 11-5 than anything else.

Yup. Heck I wouldn't be surprised with 5 away losses. Depending on how atlanta and buffalo do in the off season.

I would hope our needs would be seriously addressed after year three of the rebuild and still getting our butts whipped by New England. I said it on other threads I think we regressed. Going into last year everyone on the forum was saying we have no reason not to win them all except New England and denver. The year before we beat seattle San fran and denver, three of the final four, lost to Miami, to SD on MNF Bc we can't stop the run, lost to Arizona cinci and St. Louis after losing reggie and the wheels completely went off the tracks. We were in great position even after losing allen and Bradshaw but couldn't come back from losing reggie. At least we knocked off the big dogs, this year we destroyed everyone who we should have (aka our weak division) and had some other good wins. We did not beat a single team that was playoff caliber, we did get screwed vs philly but Pitt has no business putting up 5 or 6 tds just bc vontae is out w a concussion, no reason for an unknown runningback to score four tds on us. I know we were resting guys for Dallas and doing fake punts on our own 20 in the first quarter but we beat decimated bengals teams and a weaker denver team in the playoffs, didn't really beat anyone despite making it farther than previously. Other teams will get better too so just hope grigson actually nails it this offseason.

Woe is me. I understand your point of view but it is not all doom and gloom. Other teams have studied our team also and played better defense. We just need better linemen on both sides of the ball. That problem in itself is one of the reasons we struggle. Blaming the division and other things out of the Colts control does no good. We went farther into the playoffs that anyone thought we would, Because we didn't get farther you have the attitude this team is bad. IMO that is dead wrong. We are all aware of the problems the Colts face. You are correct that Grigson needs a good draft so we will wait to see. There are around 25 other teams in the NFL that wished they were as good as the Colts and they had the better outlook then the Colts do. Maybe you wouldn't feel so negative if you would look at the bigger picture.

Way too many questions to be answered with free agency, the draft, health, etc...

If Duron Carter turns out like some think he will, if Moncrief improves, if TY/Fleener/Allen stay healthy, if Reggie comes back healthy/if Nicks comes back and improves/if we sign or draft another stud WR, if we improve our offensive line and they stay healthy, if we improve our running back situation, if Luck stays healthy, then we should have a very good offense again next year. 

If we improve our defensive line, if Mathis comes back fully healthy, if Newsome continues to improve, if Art Jones stays healthy, if our corners stay healthy, if we improve at safety, if none of our players get suspended for PEDs or getting arrested, if Freeman returns to the form he was in 2 years ago/if D'Qwell gets better at pass coverage/if we improve at ILB, if Werner improves/if Walden improves/if we improve at OLB, then we should have a good defense, too.

If Vinatieri is back to the form he was all season before missing 3 field goals in the last 4 games (and struggling with narrow goal posts in the pro bowl), if Cribbs makes better decision/if our return game improves, if McAfee stays healthy, then we should have a good special teams.

If we show up and play to our full potential every week, if we are less injured than other teams, if other teams on our schedule don't improve more than we do this offseason, then we could definitely win a lot of games.  As it is on paper now, we don't have an easy schedule -- the Saints/Falcons/Panthers all have very good offenses and I don't think any of them are too far away from having good defenses (i.e., an offseason could improve them significantly there), the Bills/Pats/Dolphins are all good teams, the Broncos (if healthy) are a tough team, PIttsburgh is almost always a tough team, Houston is improving and they could have a scary defense, Tennessee could also be tough.  Really, the only games I'd be confident in considering as sure-wins right now are Jacksonville and Tampa Bay -- all the other teams are only a few pieces away from being pretty good.

Way too many questions to be answered with free agency, the draft, health, etc...

If Duron Carter turns out like some think he will, if Moncrief improves, if TY/Fleener/Allen stay healthy, if Reggie comes back healthy/if Nicks comes back and improves/if we sign or draft another stud WR, if we improve our offensive line and they stay healthy, if we improve our running back situation, if Luck stays healthy, then we should have a very good offense again next year.

If we improve our defensive line, if Mathis comes back fully healthy, if Newsome continues to improve, if Art Jones stays healthy, if our corners stay healthy, if we improve at safety, if none of our players get suspended for PEDs or getting arrested, if Freeman returns to the form he was in 2 years ago/if D'Qwell gets better at pass coverage/if we improve at ILB, if Werner improves/if Walden improves/if we improve at OLB, then we should have a good defense, too.

If Vinatieri is back to the form he was all season before missing 3 field goals in the last 4 games (and struggling with narrow goal posts in the pro bowl), if Cribbs makes better decision/if our return game improves, if McAfee stays healthy, then we should have a good special teams.

If we show up and play to our full potential every week, if we are less injured than other teams, if other teams on our schedule don't improve more than we do this offseason, then we could definitely win a lot of games. As it is on paper now, we don't have an easy schedule -- the Saints/Falcons/Panthers all have very good offenses and I don't think any of them are too far away from having good defenses (i.e., an offseason could improve them significantly there), the Bills/Pats/Dolphins are all good teams, the Broncos (if healthy) are a tough team, PIttsburgh is almost always a tough team, Houston is improving and they could have a scary defense, Tennessee could also be tough. Really, the only games I'd be confident in considering as sure-wins right now are Jacksonville and Tampa Bay -- all the other teams are only a few pieces away from being pretty good.

You have a ton of ifs and buts about the Colts, yet you appear not to have them about the vast majority of our opponents.

How does that work?

We're gonna hang another banner next year, and I think we're gonna gun for that playoff bye. I have been wrong before but I feel it in my core, the best Colts team in the Luck era will be 2015 , a special special year

We're gonna hang another banner next year, and I think we're gonna gun for that playoff bye. I have been wrong before but I feel it in my core, the best Colts team in the Luck era will be 2015 , a special special year

I agree with this..

If Grigson makes the necessary changes that we need.

NFC South outside of Tampa Bay is under rated.  They all played really tough schedules out of their division.  And Tampa has the #1 overall pick, will likely grab a QB . . . and if that works out for them you never know how good they could be as well.

New England and Pitt are in there.  

Also if Peyton can come back and hit the deep ball, then Denver's no push over

I'm gonna say 10 - 6.  I really think our games outside of our division are tougher then people give them credit for.

You have a ton of ifs and buts about the Colts, yet you appear not to have them about the vast majority of our opponents.

How does that work?

They all have a lot of questions, too.  A lot of people on this forum don't like to read more than a few sentences, so I figured I was already long-winded enough.  Just about all of them has just as many ifs as we do, but we definitely have a lot of ifs.  If we just assume every team on our schedule improves a just a little bit from last year, we really only have 4 'easy' games -- Jacksonville x 2, NYJ and Tampa Bay. 

So you don`t think we will take a step back? Interesting opinion. Thanks for your input.

They all have a lot of questions, too.  A lot of people on this forum don't like to read more than a few sentences, so I figured I was already long-winded enough.  Just about all of them has just as many ifs as we do, but we definitely have a lot of ifs.  If we just assume every team on our schedule improves a just a little bit from last year, we really only have 4 'easy' games -- Jacksonville x 2, NYJ and Tampa Bay. 

And if every team regresses a little bit? Or if we improve a little bit, in line with our opponents, where does that leave us?

I'm not picking on you Mike, just confused, as your line of thought doesn't add up (for me).

Now, if every team does get better, and we get worse, then we will not go 11-5. But way too many imponderables for that line of thought.  

And if every team regresses a little bit? Or if we improve a little bit, in line with our opponents, where does that leave us?

I'm not picking on you Mike, just confused, as your line of thought doesn't add up (for me).

Now, if every team does get better, and we get worse, then we will not go 11-5. But way too many imponderables for that line of thought.  

It leaves us as way too early to tell anything about next season.  4 years ago at this time we all thought we'd be going 13-3, 14-2, 15-1 -- then we lost Peyton and went 2-14.

We have the chance of going 13-3, or better, or worse.  It is way too early to be making predictions.  As long as we have a healthy Luck, we have reason to be optimistic.

We have way too many 'ifs' on our team right now that we need to address before we really even worry about how other teams are addressing their 'ifs'.  We definitely need to improve in just about every area (other than FG kicking, punting, and Vontae --- even some of our strong points from last year need to improve Luck needs to improve his decision making and limit the turnovers -- TY needs to prove he can be a legit #1 for a full year, etc.).

That, and I don't agree with the OP's suggestion: "Really feel like our schedule is light".  Every team on the schedule (outside of Jacksonville, NYJ, and Tampa Bay) was a decent or good team last year and are only a few pieces away from being good to very good. 

Assuming we stay healthy and Houston doesn't get a stud QB, we should be front runners for the AFC south even after draft/FA, but we certainly don't have an easy road to 13-3.

I just want homefield advantage. 

I think we can do it with the group we have now and I don't see us getting any worse through free agency/losing a few guys. 

This team is most certainly going to be better next year.  

Just gotta get some type of run game going. Ironically that slows down the run game on the other side of the ball. 

Maybe the coaching changes will greatly improve us in that position. I don't see how it could get worse. 

As long as we have Andrew we'll win 5+ games we wouldn't have had we had a mediocre QB.

So you don`t think we will take a step back? Interesting opinion. Thanks for your input.

So you're expecting the Colts to take a step back?

Is that because you think we're not that good?

Or because you think our schedule is harder?

Or because you think the teams in our division are getting better?

Or a combination of all of the above?

Just askin....