Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So what do the colts do at runningback?

bap1331

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:spit: Coleman and AA are both better players. than Gurley. Along with Melvin.

The BIG has the 3 best backs in this draft. Just depends on what a team is looking for.

But Gurley's carries have DECREASED from his Freshman year to his Jr season. 222, to 165, to 123... dude cannot stay healthy. Oh and Georgia DID NOT miss a beat with out TG ...

I would look at all these dude's stats very closely... In fact AA was a leading Heisman candidate until he sprained his knee.

Gurley is simply NOT durable... Coleman, AA, and Mel are...

Gurley is clearly better. Stop being a wannabe Mel Kiper.

Definitely look to draft a running back. I'm tired of taking players other teams were willing to part with. Perhaps not in the first round (Or, maybe so if a great opportunity falls to us), but we haven't drafted a true quality back since Joseph Addai IMO. Brown was serviceable/ Ballard- who will ever know his true potential/ Delone Carter- how much of that dude did we actually see? The fact is, a Blount/Lynch type back is every bit worth a first round draft pick when you witness the difference between having a serviceable guy in there versus a tank with shifty moves who breaks a minimum of 1-2 tackles every carry...

Typically build out from the trenches. With a good line you won't win a SB  alone with it but without one you can never win one regardless of the other pieces.

Drafting late you're better off drafting line (both sides). RB can be had later or use who you got. Without a line it doesn't matter.

The one downfall to drafting up high for a great RB is the contract will skyrocket after the first one. Assuming he pans out which is never certain.

Bring back Brad, Tipton, and Boom...     draft Tev or AA in the third IF they are there ( most likely not)

then go after Cobb or Davis if they are there in the 4th or 5th...      JMO

First 2 picks in the draft have got to be contributors on D...    they just have to be.   JMO   The D needs play makers so badly..

Exactly.  The D needs more playmakers.  We got shellacked by the Pats and no running back was going to make a difference for us.  I am just sick and tired of us getting blown out because our defense is putrid.  Time for this madness to stop.  

i say it is worth a first round pick.  if we can get the first one off of the board then take him!  yes we need help on the Oline, but we need a guard, those will be there in later rounds.

take the best value between RB, NT or pass rusher in the first.

those that say ILB or safety are crazy.  we could use an upgrade at safety but the other positions are more important.  ILB is not even top 5 needs for this team

Respectfully, if you think getting a RB with the first pick is in anyway a good call we just aren't watching the same games.  We need oline help and we are weak up the middle defensively.  Freemen is NOT a strong MLB, in fact I would argue he's a 4-3 Will Backer desperately miss-cast.

Our immediate needs are RG, DT, MLB, S (Landry is an epic disappointment) so you better find a replacement for him and/or Adams (who will be 34 next year).  We were lucky that Adams begged us for a job and became a pro-bowler.  If you solve the first two lines of defense then you may be right about safety for one more year but it's a risk.  If you don't solve Backer and Tackle you better have safeties that can clean up the mess.  Landry is simply playing to get paid, softer than Charmin that one is.  

BTW on the do not draft  list are: WR's, TE's, QB's, or CB's.  Once we parted with the idea that Richardson could play we used our fourth string RB to effectively run the ball.  I would cool with Boom all next year with a strong o-line.  My point his damn near anyone can tote the rock if you open a hole, heck even Trent could run through one (if he could find it).

If we could actually find a true 3-4 edge backer I would be up for that too.

Ameer Abdullah would fit THIS Colt O better than ANY back I have watched this season.    And that includes Tev Coleman.  

AA is stone cold clone of Bradshaw...        He is a serious threat out of the backfield catching and he can bust it between the T's for the long one...    I love this player..   maybe better than Tev.

You folk need to start checking dude out...    he is a bit small but he is EXACTLY what Indy needs..         (like I said  BRAD clone)   But faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23wxpC6EpS8

If Indy could snatch him I would be thrilled.  

Where is he projected to go? If 4th or higher, no thanks.

Ameer Abdullah would fit THIS Colt O better than ANY back I have watched this season. And that includes Tev Coleman.

AA is stone cold clone of Bradshaw... He is a serious threat out of the backfield catching and he can bust it between the T's for the long one... I love this player.. maybe better than Tev.

You folk need to start checking dude out... he is a bit small but he is EXACTLY what Indy needs.. (like I said BRAD clone) But faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23wxpC6EpS8

If Indy could snatch him I would be thrilled.

I would agree on him looking like Ahmad. He is a quicker version and definitely has the strength to bust tackles. But dear lord, look at their O-Line. We should draft that.

Why are people so concerned with getting a good RB?  By no means do we need a great RB in this years draft.  Trust me, if we had a good OL that could run block, Boom Herron and one other back could carry the load just fine.  We had a terrible line the last three years.  Most of it had to do with the run blocking, for the reason our RB's weren't producing and giving us a balanced offense!  If nobody is there to tackle, because our line executes their assignment, and if we had a push up front our RB's have room to run.  Us Colts fans really haven't seen that consistently since the Edge days. 

I don't understand why people continue to point the finger at the RB's?

Why are people so concerned with getting a good RB?  By no means do we need a great RB in this years draft.  Trust me, if we had a good OL that could run block, Boom Herron and one other back could carry the load just fine.  We had a terrible line the last three years.  Most of it had to do with the run blocking, for the reason our RB's weren't producing and giving us a balanced offense!  If nobody is there to tackle, because our line executes their assignment, and if we had a push up front our RB's have room to run.  Us Colts fans really haven't seen that consistently since the Edge days. 

Man, please. Because our Running Backs are severly flawed. ALL OF THEM!

You say our O-line has been bad the last 3 years, answer this question.

When was the last time we had a running back who could start for anyone besides us?

Our running backs have been poo since Addai. It took a limping Ahmad Bradshaw to get any attention on the run game.

Id rather have a Great RB/Average-Above Average O-line as opposed to Great O-line/Average-Above Average RB

Thats like saying If we had a Great O-line you'd take Ryan Fitzpatrick as your QB opposed to our current QB/O-line.

Get Real.

Coleman is projected to be 2nd-3rd round. No running back is worth a first rounder nowadays unless you're excatly sure of it. ILB is probably a need because Jackson may get cut.

Yeah but the fact is that with where we pick in the first round, its basically a high second anyway, I'm not saying we should pick a RB but if we were to get the first one off the board, i would be fine with that, otherwise I would stay away from them until the 4th or 5th. 

Yeah but the fact is that with where we pick in the first round, its basically a high second anyway, I'm not saying we should pick a RB but if we were to get the first one off the board, i would be fine with that, otherwise I would stay away from them until the 4th or 5th. 

Passing on Gordon @29 would be dumber than the Trent trade.

http://youtu.be/AnTw-iFvi7s

I posted this to show you guys one thing. I do believe this guy is going to be a good rb with whoever he plays with next season. My main thing is .. Look at how he looks here. He is playing here at about 225, if you guys saw him this year the guy looked fat af, part of the reason why he looked so slow don't you think? I'm sure he weighed about 240 this season. Get your bleep straight Trent!!

I don't get it either.  Boom averaged 4.5 a carry behind this "terrible"  O-line and caught a ton of balls.  He looks like one of the more promising RBs we've had in years.  Tipton showed potential as well.  Add a few backs for depth and competition and you're fine.  Perhaps one Tashard Choice-type vet with experience. 

Man, please. Because our Running Backs are severly flawed. ALL OF THEM!

You say our O-line has been bad the last 3 years, answer this question.

When was the last time we had a running back who could start for anyone besides us?

Our running backs have been poo since Addai. It took a limping Ahmad Bradshaw to get any attention on the run game.

Id rather have a Great RB/Average-Above Average O-line as opposed to Great O-line/Average-Above Average RB

Thats like saying If we had a Great O-line you'd take Ryan Fitzpatrick as your QB opposed to our current QB/O-line.

Get Real.

I'm as real as it gets lol.  Addai wasn't any good!  You actually think he was?  Bradshaw is an above average RB, but he can't stay healthy.  He wasn't ever limping, as in a nagging injury!  It was always 1 big injury that put him out the rest of the season.  If you have a great offensive line it makes your skill players look much better.  That is the truth.  Why do you think Brady and Rodgers have so much time in the pocket AND a great run game?  FYI its the OL! 

Why did the 49ers, Cowboys and Patriots have such potent offenses that allowed them to carry a dynasty?  FYI it was the OL.  Not to take credit away from any other part of the teams, because they all work together, but it's the OL that creates holes/pocket for a QB and RB to "do their job"!  If we have DeMarco Murray in the backfield, but have 2-3 defenders hitting him at or behind the LOS 75% of the plays, do you really expect a great RB to be that good?  It's common sense sir...  The most important part of ANY franchise is a QB, obviously!  So to your answer would Fitzpatrick be good enough? NO, but he's extremely far off from Luck's status.  The next important part to build an offense is the OL.  I don't care what you say :)  Peyton Manning Tom Brady Aaron Rodgers, and Andrew Luck etc. can all make the skill players around them better!  Do the Patriots or Broncos have a stud RB?  Not at all.  They are average, but look good because they have a good OL. 

It's quite simple rather, so please take your own advice and get real.  Use critical thinking skills before you put anybody else on blast.

I don't get it either.  Boom averaged 4.5 a carry behind this "terrible"  O-line and caught a ton of balls.  He looks like one of the more promising RBs we've had in years.  Tipton showed potential as well.  Add a few backs for depth and competition and you're fine.  Perhaps one Tashard Choice-type vet with experience. 

I agree, what we have isn't great, but it will get the job done, if the OL does their job correctly.  I kind of blame fantasy football for everybody who thinks a team should be built around all skill players.  Uneducated people merely see the highlight reels and think, we need this type of player.  It's wrong.  A balanced team is what you want.  That simply cannot be done without a good OL and DL.  EX:  It doesn't matter how good a secondary is if the front 7 sucks, the opponent will just run the ball down your throat.  As for WR's and RB's on offense.  They're pretty useless if your QB is always under pressure and doesn't have time for plays to develope, or your star RB is getting plastered in the backfield all the time.

http://youtu.be/AnTw-iFvi7s

I posted this to show you guys one thing. I do believe this guy is going to be a good rb with whoever he plays with next season. My main thing is .. Look at how he looks here. He is playing here at about 225, if you guys saw him this year the guy looked fat af, part of the reason why he looked so slow don't you think? I'm sure he weighed about 240 this season. Get your bleep straight Trent!!

I'm hoping the Colts get the OL straightened out and they give him one last shot.  Although, it's wishful thinking, but I already said, I will be calling a lot of people out when he goes to a team with a good OL and he does alot better.  He is a power rusher.  How can he be any good behind small inexperienced blockers.  We have absolutely no power run game.  It's like getting Pro Bowl caliber WR's and having Chad Henne throwing to them.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

I don't understand where the Boom love has gone. Sure he is a little T.O. prone but for the most part he kept it to a minimum. He showed the burst through the hole that we were expecting TRich to bring. Someone a while back mentioned about going to a zone scheme. I believe Herron would thrive in that style. Why not save a 1st,2nd and 3rd round picks for OL, Safety or LB?

I'm hoping the Colts get the OL straightened out and they give him one last shot. Although, it's wishful thinking, but I already said, I will be calling a lot of people out when he goes to a team with a good OL and he does alot better. He is a power rusher. How can he be any good behind small inexperienced blockers. We have absolutely no power run game. It's like getting Pro Bowl caliber WR's and having Chad Henne throwing to them. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

I dont know if its much about the oline too but he is pretty heavy for a rb. Shows his work ethic and no motivation.

I don't understand where the Boom love has gone. Sure he is a little T.O. prone but for the most part he kept it to a minimum. He showed the burst through the hole that we were expecting TRich to bring. Someone a while back mentioned about going to a zone scheme. I believe Herron would thrive in that style. Why not save a 1st,2nd and 3rd round picks for OL, Safety or LB?

Prolly because he drops the ball too much lol. Im sure he has plenty of potential. We just really need someone to compliment it.

I'm as real as it gets lol.  Addai wasn't any good!  You actually think he was?  Bradshaw is an above average RB, but he can't stay healthy.  He wasn't ever limping, as in a nagging injury!  It was always 1 big injury that put him out the rest of the season.  If you have a great offensive line it makes your skill players look much better.  That is the truth.  Why do you think Brady and Rodgers have so much time in the pocket AND a great run game?  FYI its the OL! 

Why did the 49ers, Cowboys and Patriots have such potent offenses that allowed them to carry a dynasty?  FYI it was the OL.  Not to take credit away from any other part of the teams, because they all work together, but it's the OL that creates holes/pocket for a QB and RB to "do their job"!  If we have DeMarco Murray in the backfield, but have 2-3 defenders hitting him at or behind the LOS 75% of the plays, do you really expect a great RB to be that good?  It's common sense sir...  The most important part of ANY franchise is a QB, obviously!  So to your answer would Fitzpatrick be good enough? NO, but he's extremely far off from Luck's status.  The next important part to build an offense is the OL.  I don't care what you say :)  Peyton Manning Tom Brady Aaron Rodgers, and Andrew Luck etc. can all make the skill players around them better!  Do the Patriots or Broncos have a stud RB?  Not at all.  They are average, but look good because they have a good OL. 

It's quite simple rather, so please take your own advice and get real.  Use critical thinking skills before you put anybody else on blast.

I never said Addai was any good, i just gave him the benefit of being a 1,000 yard rusher/Superbowl runner. As for Bradshaw, what good does he do if he's always on IR?

I dont deny the importance of a Great O-Line but you've got to have skill players who can make plays. We do not have a playmaking runner on our roster. Haven't for a while now. 2 on IR, 1 who's confidence is shot to hades, and two no bodies who looked decent because there werent any other options. Why do you think the Colts went after Ben Tate, another walking wounded player.

Our back field reminds me of that Geico commercial with Pinocchio as a motivational speaker. "You have potential....(Nose grows longer)"

As for Luck compared to Rodgers and Brady.....

The most sacks Luck's ever taken was 41 as a rookie in BA's system (Same as Brady) and his sack numbers have gone down each season.

Rodgers has been sacked 50 times twice in his career. And we know Peyton doesnt take sacks soo..... That goes to show that it isnt ALL about the O-line. Play calling, decision making by the QB and the ability to get open are all critical components to a passing game, not just blocking. Big Ben gets more time in the pocket than anyone and nothing about his O-line is Elite but he has a respected running game because his running back has to be accounted for.

The 49ers, Cowboys and Pats Dynasties had HOF'ers everywhere, Not just O-Line. All had Great Defenses, Exellent QB Play and Playmakers on offense, save for the Pats aside from Corey Dillon who was a beast of a runner.

The Pats and Broncos don't have Elite running backs now but they have arguably the greatest QB's to ever play the game and both teams have made conscious efforts to address the position. Aside from the Trent gamble, we have made no Investment into the stability of our backfield. We have, however, addressed O-line through the Draft and FA

With all the questions that our O-line may have, its still farther along than our talent at Running Back. There's no two ways about it. That real enough for you, Mr. "Critical Thinker"?

PS, I love you too Colts Fan.

Of course Addai was good before he was healthy, you don't go over 1300 yards in total yards two years in a row and have 23 td's over the first 2 years of your career if your not good, His problem was injuries took that away from him and then the O Line went to garbage to add onto that

Of course Addai was good before he was healthy, you don't go over 1300 yards in total yards two years in a row and have 23 td's over the first 2 years of your career if your not good, His problem was injuries took that away from him and then the O Line went to garbage to add onto that

It wasn't just injuries and O-line that caused him to regress. It was the fact he lost the burst through the hole and on many occasions would try to do too much stutter stepping or would run straight to the side line and would never head north. Much like Richardson

It wasn't just injuries and O-line that caused him to regress. It was the fact he lost the burst through the hole and on many occasions would try to do too much stutter stepping or would run straight to the side line and would never head north. Much like Richardson

Maybe its just me but it always seemed like Addai would get hit much harder than other running backs. Even on routine tackles, looked like kill shots.

Maybe its just me but it always seemed like Addai would get hit much harder than other running backs. Even on routine tackles, looked like kill shots.

That's what happens when you stop your momentum. That's one of the 1st things they teach you as a running back. Don't stop. Keep going forward. I never understood how he could lay a linebacker out coming in on a pass rush but he would be so tentative on a gut or dive play.