Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Seattle recover from that?

Bad Morty

I'm still sitting here in jaw-drop amazement at what happened last night, and the more I get away from it the more this thing is starting to look like the Football equivalent of Bill Buckner or Grady Little leaving Pedro Martinez in too long in the ALCS (Boston baseball references...sorry). So now I'm wondering if Carroll and that cast of extroverted personalities are going to be able to recover from this loss? That was devastating, and I'm sure many of the players on that team are questionning the coaching now. Carroll's success has been based a lot on his ability to be an upbeat, ra-ra cheerleader type of coach. That act fell flat quickly when he was in New England because the players didn't have faith in his ability to put them in a position to win. After that loss last night, you'd have to think that pandora's box is opened now. It will take a LOT of character and leadership for that team to unify again next year, believe in themselves, and make another run....will be interesting to see if they have that kind of character. I have my doubts. The Patriots may have broken them last night.

It will be tough for them not only mentally but team wise. They are going to pay Wilson. They already paid their secondary this year. Pete will have to continue to draft well and replace the production they loss with Tate and Harvin. They just got Lynch done and paid him a mega deal too.

Their window might have slammed shut just like Denver's definitely did. They were injured/depleted/exposed. Difference between Broncos and Patriots was the yards after catch, which NE crushed them with. Seattle now has to start paying/overpaying these guys, just like the Colts will have to do next year. Wilson is going from 1% of their cap to probably around 20%, luckily Sherman isn't a pitcher so Tommy John surgery from him should be recoverable. Historically/statistically speaking, only Tomlinson has been able to keep up the numbers after the games/carries that Lynch did up to this year so I would expect him to decline (especially if he gets paid - it happens). After the way every NFC team fell (Seattle, GB, Dallas, Detroit) you could say all of them were left heartbroken and may not recover.

The Patriots were beaten in their previous 2 SB's during the last two minutes (by the same team-ugh!).  Did they recover?

Wilson is young and is probably hard on himself right now.  When this wears off, he'll realize that they were within three step of winning that game.  Butler just happened to be there to catch the deflection, nothing more.  

They'll be fine. 

The Patriots were beaten in their previous 2 SB's during the last two minutes (by the same team-ugh!).  Did they recover?

Wilson is young and is probably hard on himself right now.  When this wears off, he'll realize that they were within three step of winning that game.  Butler just happened to be there to catch the deflection, nothing more.  

They'll be fine. 

It's not the fact that they lost...it's the circumstances. Put bluntly, their coaching staff basically stole a ring from these guys, opening the door for the players to not have 100% faith in the coaching staff. That's a big crack in the foundation, and this team of personalities doesn't strike me as the type who will pull together, close ranks, and come into next season in the right frame of mind to make another run.

Although it was an important play, it came down to one play.  Had the pass been caught this would have been a different conversation.

The entire play was a fluke.  Again, Butler just happened to be at the right place at the right time.  The Patriots aren't responsible for the "downfall of the Seahawks organization" and the universe itself.  There's no "crack in the foundation."  

The Patriots shouldn't flatter themselves on this one.  Again, the play was a fluke.   In addition, every SB win they've ever had has been tarnished by an investigation but their fans don't want to hear about that.  As a football fan, I have no respect for an organization like that.  

and so it begins...anonymous (i.e. "Cowardly") Seahawks players claiming this was an "anti-Marshawn Lynch" thing that led them to not hand the ball of to him...yeah I have a strong feeling this team is going to implode after this.

http://deadspin.com/anonymous-seahawk-blames-final-play-call-on-anti-lynch-1683218259

Indy has an opening for running back if he wishes to come here.

and so it begins...anonymous (i.e. "Cowardly") Seahawks players claiming this was an "anti-Marshawn Lynch" thing that led them to not hand the ball of to him...yeah I have a strong feeling this team is going to implode after this.

http://deadspin.com/anonymous-seahawk-blames-final-play-call-on-anti-lynch-1683218259

Bruce Irvin openly questioned it on the record.

That locker room is in flames...and with no guarantee Lynch even stays in Seattle.

I saw some Seattle fans speculating on this same thing last night. I don't honestly know if it's that far fetched or not. If Lynch runs it in, 2 TDs and 100+ yards, he's the MVP, right? But if it's a passing TD, maybe Wilson gets it? 

Obviously no one expected an INT, but maybe... just maybe... there was a brief moment where they got greedy and tried to dictate how the game would be won. Carroll said the intent was to basically "waste" the play, but if you're going to do that, why throw it into any sort of traffic like that? Run a fade route to the corner or something. 

I saw some Seattle fans speculating on this same thing last night. I don't honestly know if it's that far fetched or not. If Lynch runs it in, 2 TDs and 100+ yards, he's the MVP, right? But if it's a passing TD, maybe Wilson gets it? 

Obviously no one expected an INT, but maybe... just maybe... there was a brief moment where they got greedy and tried to dictate how the game would be won. Carroll said the intent was to basically "waste" the play, but if you're going to do that, why throw it into any sort of traffic like that? Run a fade route to the corner or something. 

Not to mention, it was a pass to Richard Mathews, the 3rd wideout who came out of nowhere and would have been MVP with 100 plus yards and 2 TDs if that pass was not intercepted.

It would not have been Wilson, regardless. But Tom Brady played darn well with 4 TDs even if Seattle won to not have considered a player from the losing team for MVP.

What will hurt Seattle the next few years is if Russell Wilson gets paid big. Cliff Avril going out with a concussion weakened their pass rush and Avril is a free agent too.

It will be tough for them not only mentally but team wise. They are going to pay Wilson. They already paid their secondary this year. Pete will have to continue to draft well and replace the production they loss with Tate and Harvin. They just got Lynch done and paid him a mega deal too.

are you sure that was signed?  What i am tracking is he hasnt signed yet.  This is all im finding

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466712/article/seahawks-offer-marshawn-lynch-huge-contract-extension

Oh i whole heartedly believe this.  They have had an anti Lynch attitude for awhile now.  Specifically not handing him the ball on goal lines unless they have to.  I said to my wife, after i got over my disbelief, is that its because they wanted for Wilson to be MVP and not Lynch. 

Not to mention, it was a pass to Richard Mathews, the 3rd wideout who came out of nowhere and would have been MVP with 100 plus yards and 2 TDs if that pass was not intercepted.

It would not have been Wilson, regardless. But Tom Brady played darn well with 4 TDs even if Seattle won to not have considered a player from the losing team for MVP.

What will hurt Seattle the next few years is if Russell Wilson gets paid big. Cliff Avril going out with a concussion weakened their pass rush and Avril is a free agent too.

Was it Matthews? I thought it was Lockette. Dang I've only seen the replay about 1000 times too, literally... 

I thought it was final but according to your link it does not appear to be yet.

ya i am waiting to see how this plays out.  I doubt lynch would have signed it before the SB played out.  Makes no sense to do that.  Maybe the Seahawks didnt give him the ball because he wasnt signing it, who knows.  Bit them in the butt if they did.  Im sure he was wanting to see how the SB played out before he signed to get a feel on how the team saw him.  But the contract is pretty significant.  But lynch, after the game, wasnt mad at all.  Laughing most of the way out of the stadium and saying he isnt mad that he didnt get the ball, that its a team sport. 

Which is different than what i know him to be considering he flipped them the bird before when he didnt get the ball on the goal line.  I think they just gave a him a clear picture as to how they see him.  They know he deserves the contract, but they dont want to admit it.  They want russell wilson to be their guy, not the man who doesnt toe the line.  I am sure lynch is happy because he knows he's leaving and doesnt really care. 

ya i am waiting to see how this plays out.  I doubt lynch would have signed it before the SB played out.  Makes no sense to do that.  Maybe the Seahawks didnt give him the ball because he wasnt signing it, who knows.  Bit them in the butt if they did.  Im sure he was wanting to see how the SB played out before he signed to get a feel on how the team saw him.  But the contract is pretty significant.  But lynch, after the game, wasnt mad at all.  Laughing most of the way out of the stadium and saying he isnt mad that he didnt get the ball, that its a team sport. 

Which is different than what i know him to be considering he flipped them the bird before when he didnt get the ball on the goal line.  I think they just gave a him a clear picture as to how they see him.  They know he deserves the contract, but they dont want to admit it.  They want russell wilson to be their guy, not the man who doesnt toe the line.  I am sure lynch is happy because he knows he's leaving and doesnt really care. 

I would be very surprised if they don't get Lynch done. That being said, Turbin had the biggest run of the night at the end of the second half. I think any back would succeed in that offense with that Oline. And teams don't want to pay big bucks for any RB especially one that has as much wear and tear as Lynch. This could get interesting given the Super Bowl and Wilson's pending contract.

I would be very surprised if they don't get Lynch done. That being said, Turbin had the biggest run of the night at the end of the second half. I think any back would succeed in that offense with that Oline. And teams don't want to pay big bucks for any RB especially one that has as much wear and tear as Lynch. This could get interesting given the Super Bowl and Wilson's pending contract.

Turbin can run behind that line, but he cannot fight for the extra yardage and break tackles the way that lynch does.  Just no way.  I think Lynch might just go to Oakland.  He has said he wants to.

Yeah, they'll recover. No question about it,   it was a tough loss and  the person it should be the hardest on is Pete Carroll.  He deserved to lose after that bonehead call, and it will be a hard one to live down.   

He deserved this loss,  his team didn't.

Yeah, they'll recover. No question about it,   it was a tough loss and  the person it should be the hardest on is Pete Carroll.  He deserved to lose after that bonehead call, and it will be a hard one to live down.   

He deserved this loss,  his team didn't.

I would think that Russel Wilson has to share in some of that.. hes the one who threw the football.  I think people are giving him a total pass on this when if it were any other QB like Manning or Brady, the media would have been tearing them to pieces for throwing that pick.

I would think that Russel Wilson has to share in some of that.. hes the one who threw the football.  I think people are giving him a total pass on this when if it were any other QB like Manning or Brady, the media would have been tearing them to pieces for throwing that pick.

True,  but I still think it will be the hardest on Carroll, and it should be.   No matter how you look at it, that call cost his team the game.

But that was good for you  :)

I think it's possible that they DO NOT RECOVER, but not for the reasons listed here. The defense played well. They were hardly "exposed." The game plan was to give those checkdowns up and tackle. They missed a few tackles along the way but the plan still left Seattle with the game at the end had that bizarre playcall and result not happened.

I don't think Pete will lose the team in the typical sense and I don't think Wilson is finished because of 1 interception as if Favre, Manning, and Brady haven't lost games on interceptions. I think they are in danger of the less common coaching disaster, not losing the team to the point that they quit, but to the point that he loses control similar to Schwartz in Detroit and in the NFCW you won't salvage any kind of 8-8 season like the Lions did.

I think it's possible that they DO NOT RECOVER, but not for the reasons listed here. The defense played well. They were hardly "exposed." The game plan was to give those checkdowns up and tackle. They missed a few tackles along the way but the plan still left Seattle with the game at the end had that bizarre playcall and result not happened.

I don't think Pete will lose the team in the typical sense and I don't think Wilson is finished because of 1 interception as if Favre, Manning, and Brady haven't lost games on interceptions. I think they are in danger of the less common coaching disaster, not losing the team to the point that they quit, but to the point that he loses control similar to Schwartz in Detroit and in the NFCW you won't salvage any kind of 8-8 season like the Lions did.

Yep. Players coaches have a short shelf life.

Out of likes, but absolutely.

The defense played well. They were hardly "exposed."

Hmm...I don't agree with that. They gave up 4 td's and if not for a boneheaded pick in the red-zone by Brady the Pats would have hung 30 on them. They also coughed up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. I thought that defense was pretty badly exposed.

Hmm...I don't agree with that. They gave up 4 td's and if not for a boneheaded pick in the red-zone by Brady the Pats would have hung 30 on them. They also coughed up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. I thought that defense was pretty badly exposed.

Thomas and Sherman both need surgery , Chancellor played with a bad knee and Lane broke an arm in the first quarter. Plus the pass rush pretty much disappeared after Avril went out with a confusion. You say exposed but I think they were a bit unlucky with all the injuries.

Thomas and Sherman both need surgery , Chancellor played with a bad knee and Lane broke an arm in the first quarter. Plus the pass rush pretty much disappeared after Avril went out with a confusion. You say exposed but I think they were a bit unlucky with all the injuries.

Injuries are part of it. I don't call the Colts lucky for the 2006 comeback win just because the Pats were down to 4th stringers in the defensive backfield. Other than Lane, the other guys were out there on the field, and they got torched. They are the first team in the history of the Superbowl to lose with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. Teams were 0-29 in that situation prior to last night.

Yeah.. I mean the play was 5 yards in front of him. You can't throw that ball to the spot he threw it. If he threw that ball and it to be in a spot (in and lower) that Butler could int it.

Pete Carroll has to explain why he would send in 3 wide receivers on a 2nd and goal from the 1

It made no sense..

So what if NE had a goal line defense..in..Lynch has run over goal line defenses..

IF Lynch is stopped..they could throw on 3rd down and they could run OR throw on 4th down

But if your team was BUILT on power running for 3 years...why call a pass on the biggest play of the season?

Pete Carroll cracked under pressure and made the worst possible call....

He needs to admit it