Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian Says Defense Is Working

LUVTHESHOE

heard him say it on his show. that in the second half we went toe to toe and actually out played the ravens. He added that he was impressed by the way our young guys are catching on to the defensive scheme. I ALMOST CRIED HEARING WHAT HE HAD TO SAY. A guy did get loose blaming BP for our problems asking a few hard questions, to which none were addressed. Got the the vibe coach will be back, what a joke. anybody else get anything different out of the hour of power?

Edited by Maureen
name calling/personal shot

last week, Bill said that our defensive "plan", is to allow the other team to catch all the 5-10yard passes that they want (but not allow any 20+ yard catches)...he said that by allowing so many shorter passes, we will be putting that many extra tackles on the other teams players, and they will be worn down by the 4th quarter and be more prone to make mistakes! I can only assume that he was being serious...which is VERY scary!

By his own "plan", our guys would be more worn out than the other team's WRs anyhow lol what a joke!

with all that said, i'm sure that there will be some of his supporters on here telling us that we're wrong for ever doubting Bill, because we won games in the past :nutz:

last week, Bill said that our defensive "plan", is to allow the other team to catch all the 5-10yard passes that they want (but not allow any 20+ yard catches)...he said that by allowing so many shorter passes, we will be putting that many extra tackles on the other teams players, and they will be worn down by the 4th quarter and be more prone to make mistakes! I can only assume that he was being serious...which is VERY scary!

By his own "plan", our guys would be more worn out than the other team's WRs anyhow lol what a joke!

with all that said, i'm sure that there will be some of his supporters on here telling us that we're wrong for ever doubting Bill, because we won games in the past :nutz:

I thought that first part was a joke, I couldn't help but laugh. That's something a high school coach might say...

heard him say it on his show. that in the second half we went toe to toe and actually out played the ravens. He added that he was impressed by the way our young guys are catching on to the defensive scheme. I ALMOST CRIED HEARING WHAT HE HAD TO SAY. A guy did get loose blaming BP for our problems asking a few hard questions, to which none were addressed. Got the the vibe coach dip chiz will be back, what a joke. anybody else get anything different out of the hour of power?

Well, he spent most of his shows earlier this year blaming everything on the defense. Without actually naming anybody, you could tell that he was going to scapegoat Larry Coyer before the year was over with. He often used the word "baffled" when describing how bad the defense was.

So it's only natural for him to praise everything the D does from here on out. He made a change to what he kept saying was the problem, so he's going to act like they are 100 percent improved for the rest of year. I don't care if they give up scores on the first 3 series and are in a 17-0 hole right off the bat, he's going to say they were great. It's Polian, thats how he works.

According to him tonight, the thing that needs improving is our punting game. Yes, thats really what he said.

You know, while watching the second half, I kinda felt like Bmore was just toying with our defense. It just seemed like they knew we were so inept offensively that they could do whatever they wanted. They really didn't try very many short easy completions in the second half. Those quick slants kill us, and offenses know they can slant us down the field whenever they need to. Bmore seemed to me like they were just testing out a different game plan.

You know, while watching the second half, I kinda felt like Bmore was just toying with our defense. It just seemed like they knew we were so inept offensively that they could do whatever they wanted. They really didn't try very many short easy completions in the second half. Those quick slants kill us, and offenses know they can slant us down the field whenever they need to. Bmore seemed to me like they were just testing out a different game plan.

It was clear the Patriots looked at it from a defensive perspective as a form of a preseason game, playing new players, trying new things. Heck, that is what a good coach would do when he plays an over-matched an opponent. work on weaknesses and experiment. Irsay needs to clean house with Polian Caldwell and Clyde Christensen and then let new coach evaluate whether or not any of the other coaches deserve to retain their jobs....

problem is that in this process all our smurfs get injuried

Does he realize that a 10 yard pass usually results in a first down? Also, our tackling is so poor that a 5 yard pass usually turns into 10 yards. His plan isn't working because we are still getting beaten on long pass plays.

The crazy thing is, yes, he does realize that...but the "goal" is to wear the other team out by letting them make MORE catches to get the same amount of net yards and by making more tackles on them...lol yes, it is the stupidest defensive "philosophy" that ive ever heard!

It's a dysfunctional defense because none of the things needed to make it work are in place. We all know we don't have an O that provides a lead or is capable of a quick strike to get back in the game. Further, we aren't getting great pressure with just 4 down lineman. Next, we are to have all 11 fly to the receiver of the 5 yd catch and stop the play, right there, but we aren't as we (last I looked) had the second most missed tackles in the league and the receivers are getting meaningful YAC. We are also supposed to create turnovers, (like the Bears do- strip the ball, or jump a rout in your zone, etc) but we are not.

Basically, this D looks like a bend until we tire out and break defense. rinse, repeat.

People just need to stop listening to his show.

If he truly believes that our defense is working then he is an senile old man who is out of touch with reality. This defense is putrid and has been for years, but that was ignored because we had Peyton out there to protect it.

The more I think about it the more I feel bad for Coyer. The guy was an aggressive minded coach who wanted to have an attacking defense. Then he is brought into the Colts whose front office is meddling in the gameplans and is forced to coach a prevent type of defense.

I seriously believe we will go 0-16 and everyone will be given a mulligan because of Manning. :79angryfire:

This isn't the "Cover-2" defense, this isn't the "Tampa-2" defense. This is a " Prevent" defense except the Colts play it for the whole game and the only ones getting worn out (by these 6-8-10 minute drives) are the Colts big guys up front.

Believe me, the Ravens are by no means an offensive powerhouse this year. I remember on Monday Night Football a few weeks back Jacksonville completely had their way with them and shut them down in unbelievable fashion. The Titans and Seahawks did the same thing! Tell me how against the Colts, this same offense looked like a well-oiled machine?

Polian is making me sick with this crap. He has to be the most stubborn GM of all-time. Good thing for him Irsay has no guts. His defensive philosophy is ancient, his once stellar drafting has been an absoloute bust over the past 5 years, and what makes matters worse, he REFUSES to adapt any new stategies to a scheme that has been obselete for years now. He focuses all his top picks on offensive players (that have accomplished little to nothing without Manning) and he only drafts players defensively that fit this same ancient obselete tampa two cover scheme. It worked for Tampa because they had Sapp, Brooks, Barber and Lynch - one of the best defenses ever! We have nowhere near the talent they had in any aspect of our defense.

Edited by Maureen
offensive language

heard him say it on his show. that in the second half we went toe to toe and actually out played the ravens. He added that he was impressed by the way our young guys are catching on to the defensive scheme. I ALMOST CRIED HEARING WHAT HE HAD TO SAY. A guy did get loose blaming BP for our problems asking a few hard questions, to which none were addressed. Got the the vibe coach dip chiz will be back, what a joke. anybody else get anything different out of the hour of power?

Bill has a show? Who knew?

Why do you listen if it's going to upset you so. Nothing Bill says on this show matters, it's all GM speak. Relax take a deep breath and relize it's just one season, lets see what happens in the offseason with Peyton and those draft picks.... it's not the end of the world, it's just one season.

So both NE and Baltimore felt sorry for our Defense and just stopped playing? Well thank you NE and Baltimore...

It was clear the Patriots looked at it from a defensive perspective as a form of a preseason game, playing new players, trying new things. Heck, that is what a good coach would do when he plays an over-matched an opponent. work on weaknesses and experiment. Irsay needs to clean house with Polian Caldwell and Clyde Christensen and then let new coach evaluate whether or not any of the other coaches deserve to retain their jobs....

So NE continued to play like it was Pre Season this past weekend vs the Skins as those same "new players" were in there vs. the Skins for the entire game.....

I don't pay attention to the show, but maybe Bill Polian is just trolling all of his critics out there. I don't believe that he thinks some of the things he says are true.

We have a winner. Exactly he is saying stuff just to throw stuff out there and tick off people. That is how you do it...and with some colt fans it seems to be working.... :D

Believe me, the Ravens are by no means an offensive powerhouse this year. I remember on Monday Night Football a few weeks back Jacksonville completely had their way with them and shut them down in unbelievable fashion. The Titans and Seahawks did the same thing! Tell me how against the Colts, this same offense looked like a well-oiled machine?

Polian is making me sick with this crap. He has to be the most stubborn GM of all-time. Good thing for him Irsay has no balls. His defensive philosophy is ancient, his once stellar drafting has been an absoloute bust over the past 5 years, and what makes matters worse, he REFUSES to adapt any new stategies to a scheme that has been obselete for years now. He focuses all his top picks on offensive players (that have accomplished little to nothing without Manning) and he only drafts players defensively that fit this same ancient obselete tampa two cover scheme. It worked for Tampa because they had Sapp, Brooks, Barber and Lynch - one of the best defenses ever! We have nowhere near the talent they had in any aspect of our defense.

Baltimore is two different teams. Those games you list were all road games, one was a west coast trip where most east coast teams struggle. Look at how the Ravens play at home....

Name 5 things you actually do understand because the Colts and NFL football certainly aren't on the list..

I know that the Pats D isn't that good and was showed up again this past weekend by almost giving away a game to the Skins.

I know that there is not 1 fan on this forum with the knowledge anywhere near what those who are working for the Colts have.

I know that the world is not coming to an end if the Colts go 0-16

I know that Colt fans for a good portion are spoiled

I know that no matter how many fans scream for Bill Polian to be fired, he isn't going anywhere.

I know that the Pats D isn't that good and was showed up again this past weekend by almost giving away a game to the Skins.

I know that there is not 1 fan on this forum with the knowledge anywhere near what those who are working for the Colts have.

I know that no matter how many fans scream for Bill Polian to be fired, he isn't going anywhere.

Looks like we can add reading comprehension to the list with Colts and NFL Football.

I know you post ten times more then anyone else on here and basically just cause problems.

I know that the Pats D isn't that good and was showed up again this past weekend by almost giving away a game to the Skins.(They make the plays to win-almost doesn't count)

I know not 1 fan on this forum with the knowledge anywhere near what those who are working for the Colts have.(they don't know all behind the scenes but there are some things that are transparent some of the knowledgeable posters here can see)

I know that the world is not coming to an end if the Colts go 0-16 (Actually you don't know that for sure but I don't see fans making plans for it)

I know colt fans are spoiled (a lot of fans from all team could be termed spoiled)

I know that no matter how many fans scream for Bill Polian to be fired, he isn't going anywhere.(a direct contradition of 2 above. you don't know that)

I know you post ten times more then anyone else on here and basically just cause problems.

No I post what I believe. All I see here is hate and anger and for what reason? Because the Colts are having "A" bad season? I think everyone would be much better off if they just took a deep breath and relaxed a bit. People here take what Bill Polian says way to serious and worry way to much over how good our coach is or isn't.

Jim Irsay is a bright man, he has done wonderful things since taking over for his dad. Colt fans have been witness to some of the best overall football in the past 10 seasons that any NFL can could want. Lets just allow Mr. Irsay the time to review everything and do what he feels is the best for "his" team.

No I post what I believe. All I see here is hate and anger and for what reason? Because the Colts are having "A" bad season? I think everyone would be much better off if they just took a deep breath and relaxed a bit. People here take what Bill Polian says way to serious and worry way to much over how good our coach is or isn't.

Jim Irsay is a bright man, he has done wonderful things since taking over for his dad. Colt fans have been witness to some of the best overall football in the past 10 seasons that any NFL can could want. Lets just allow Mr. Irsay the time to review everything and do what he feels is the best for "his" team.

Man please stop or at least slow down, I think you were told to back off a little.

This is beyond "A" bad season: The Colts have had plenty bad seasons in franchise hirstory. This is one of, if not "THE" worst seasons, not only in the history of the Colts organization, but of ANY organization in the history of professional football.

Spoiled? Maybe. But you can't expect us to sit back and take a deep breath when this season has been absoloutely EMBARASSING on all levels.

We have a winner. Exactly he is saying stuff just to throw stuff out there and tick off people. That is how you do it...and with some colt fans it seems to be working.... :D

I don't think he says things just to tick people off. He sometimes does tick people off but I doubt that's his plan.

I don't blame people for listening to his show...........after a game like that..........a fan really wants to hear something that makes sense.

I didn't hear this show but I usually tune in........these days praying for answers.

That was the most boring football game I think I've ever seen in my life.