Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to Beating New England

Andrew Luck's Beard

Yeah, I don't know about all of that. I thought we presented matchup issues for your team in the first game, and I still think that. Not only has our offense shown a bit more explosiveness since then, but Dwayne Allen will play more than 14 snaps this week, and hopefully the defense does a better job and we get more than 56 plays. I still don't think the Pats can handle TY one on one, and if they bracket him, they'll have to figure out a way to cover Fleener and Allen. 

By the way, those five catches and 118 yards came specifically against Browner. The other two were against Collins, who's really, really good, but he'll have his hands full. I don't think it matters that Fleener didn't go for 100 yards every week; that's kind of unreasonable. He ate well against the Pats, and has beaten all kinds of LBs and safeties this year. 

Oh, and then the Ravens and Flacco gave that pass defense fits. Our weapons are better, and our QB is better. I think the Pats can be attacked through the air. Revis is great. McCourty is really good. They scheme well, and execute well. But they are going to have to cover every inch of that field on Sunday.

Weapons better?  I don't know.. Ed Dickson, Steve Smith, Torrey Smith, Justin Forsette are really really good.. I'm just saying..  T.Y Hilton ok, but Coby Fleener < Steve Smith, Dwayne Allen < Torrey Smith, Justin Forsette > Herron

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have a great feeling about this game.

Here's what we have to best

-we need to score early, and consistently

-pressure on Brady, cause him to make a mistake, or two

-establish a running game early(or attempt to) haha

-get off the field on 3rd down on D

-stop trick plays/prepare for ineligibles

-luck needs to have no more than one turnover

Different secondary, different scheme.  I agree Brady is capable though.

He difinitely is... Most postseason TD passes thrown by a QB, most postseason starts, most postseason wins.. and if he beats the Colts will be the most superbowl starts by a QB in NFL history... and also now has at least 4  14-24 point decifit comebacks by a QB which is a new record.

Earlier vs Denver.. Julius Thomas was handled by Brandon Browner and Jamie Collins... so either or can cover Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener... I remember Jamie Collin's first game vs Coby Fleener, he completely shut him down and intercepted him.

I didn't know Coby Fleener played Quarterback. News to me..

But also 3-0 versus Luck with the highest point differential over him than any other opponent since Luck has been in the league

I bet you thought the Jets had no chance in 2010 after losing 45-3 up there a few weeks earlier, I remember a competitive game in NE last year before it gets out of reach followed by throwing for home runs and going for it on 4th down...

The reality is top to bottom the Patriots are a better team right now. But that does not mean they will win Sunday.  It means the Colts have to play a near perfect game to win and that is something that could easily happen. In 2010 the Patriots pounded the Jets in the regular season and played again in the playoffs. Just like now, back then everyone was saying the game would be easy but NE lost that playoff game.  Luck can't toss interceptions trying to take chances and give NE extra possessions and they need to get Brady moving in the pocket and make him take chances, Brady doesn't like to get hit -what QB does but he really doesn't like to get hit.  The key to a Colts win Sunday is using the KISS principle, they key to a Patriots win is the Colts straying from the KISS principle and capitalize on mistakes.

The weather for Sunday looks 'warmer' than it usually is this time of year but now they are calling for rain and maybe steady rain most of the game so running the ball and ball security. The Patriots had 3-4 fumbles on Saturday all of which they somehow recovered.   I see this being a 3-5 point game either way.

O and don't listen to Dan Shaughnessy he has made a career saying trollish things to get a rise out of people. 

The Jets have always been competitive even before that

The Jets are anti-competition. They find new ways to lose that no one has ever lost before. You can ignore the rest of my post though, about how in the playoffs last year the Colts who's second WR was Griff Whalen, had no Allen, terrible OL, and started Richardson was only down by one score in the 4th quarter when Ninkovich didn't get called for tripping Luck that stalled a Colts drive, Colts punted, and finally the levee broke and Blount broke a long run. Albeit the Patriots were without Gronk as well which is huge, it did not become a blowout until that score forced Luck to throw home runs and go for it on 4th downs giving the Pats the ball with excellent field position. Stork is out, Jones is in. Good luck.

How ?

What was wrong with his quad when we beat them last year?

What was wrong with his quad when we lost by 7 points the first game this year?

What was wrong with his quad when the Seahawks game him the same treatment in the Super Bowl?

Stop trying to deflect away from our accomplishments blaming it on somebodys quad.  It's no excuse as Aaron Rodgers could barely even move well in the pocket against Dallas and he won his game.  Surely Peyton could have found a way.

We beat those boys fair and square.  All reports going into the game said Peyton was ready to go, and certainly Peyton isn't going to use that excuse.

What was wrong with his quad when the Seahawks game him the same treatment in the Super Bowl?

Stop trying to deflect away from our accomplishments blaming it on somebodys quad.  It's no excuse as Aaron Rodgers could barely even move well in the pocket against Dallas and he won his game.  Surely Peyton could have found a way.

We beat those boys fair and square.  All reports going into the game said Peyton was ready to go, and certainly Peyton isn't going to use that excuse.

All very valid questions that are somehow being ignored by the media and fans of other teams.

The Jets are anti-competition. They find new ways to lose that no one has ever lost before. You can ignore the rest of my post though, about how in the playoffs last year the Colts who's second WR was Griff Whalen, had no Allen, terrible OL, and started Richardson was only down by one score in the 4th quarter when Ninkovich didn't get called for tripping Luck that stalled a Colts drive, Colts punted, and finally the levee broke and Blount broke a long run. Albeit the Patriots were without Gronk as well which is huge, it did not become a blowout until that score forced Luck to throw home runs and go for it on 4th downs giving the Pats the ball with excellent field position. Stork is out, Jones is in. Good luck.

My other point.. became a blowout with Gronk

Brady has taken less sacks than Peyton and Rodger this season.. good luck getting to him

Brady has taken less sacks than Peyton and Rodger this season.. good luck getting to him

Did you watch Colts vs Patriots in the first game this year?  We had several pressures on Brady, which were key elements that resulted in his 2 interceptions.   I point it out because they spent the majority of their time running the football, the times when they did decided to pass they had to get it out quick because of the pressure.  It's overlooked because there were not sacks, but I'm wiling to bet if we get that running game stopped, and he has to pass more we wil get to him.

Did you watch Colts vs Patriots in the first game this year?  We had several pressures on Brady, which were key elements that resulted in his 2 interceptions.   I point it out because they spent the majority of their time running the football, the times when they did decided to pass they had to get it out quick because of the pressure.  It's overlooked because there were not sacks, but I'm wiling to bet if we get that running game stopped, and he has to pass more we wil get to him.

Ok, he has the 2nd quickest release only behind Peyton Manning in getting the ball out.. so how the heck does that guarantee? ESPECIALLY when there have been MUCH better D-Lines that have only gotten to him once or twice a game, if that the last 9 or 10 weeks.

Stop trying to deflect away from our accomplishments blaming it on somebodys quad. It's no excuse as Aaron Rodgers could barely even move well in the pocket against Dallas and he won his game. Surely Peyton could have found a way.

We beat those boys fair and square. All reports going into the game said Peyton was ready to go, and certainly Peyton isn't going to use that excuse.

We didn't beat them last year, they beat us if u remember correctly, that is saying how much of a colts fan u really are

Ok, he has the 2nd quickest release only behind Peyton Manning in getting the ball out.. so how the heck does that guarantee? ESPECIALLY when there have been MUCH better D-Lines that have only gotten to him once or twice a game, if that the last 9 or 10 weeks.

I didn' t guarantee anything.  I said I like our chances based off what I saw.

Weapons better?  I don't know.. Ed Dickson, Steve Smith, Torrey Smith, Justin Forsette are really really good.. I'm just saying..  T.Y Hilton ok, but Coby Fleener < Steve Smith, Dwayne Allen < Torrey Smith, Justin Forsette > Herron

LOL

You're comparing TEs to receivers, and that's just the silliest thing ever. Not to mention the fact that Ed Dickson doesn't play for Baltimore, but even if he did, he still sucks in comparison with any of our TEs. Jack Doyle outproduced Ed Dickson.

Owen Daniels < Dwayne Allen / Coby Fleener

Steve Smith = TY Hilton (and I'm being generous, out of respect to Smith's legacy and blistering start in 2014)

Torrey Smith > Reggie Wayne (although Reggie, who is clearly done and had a bad season, still outproduced Smith in catches and yards)

Marlon Brown / Kamar Aiken / Jacoby Jones < Hakeem Nicks / Donte Moncrief 

Ravens backs > Colts backs

So, uhh, yes, the Colts' weapons are better.

He difinitely is... Most postseason TD passes thrown by a QB, most postseason starts, most postseason wins.. and if he beats the Colts will be the most superbowl starts by a QB in NFL history... and also now has at least 4  14-24 point decifit comebacks by a QB which is a new record.

You forgot most likely to shed a tear if the Colts Win ..

You looked good vs the run against Denver. How do you feel this time around? Do you think you can defend and if yes, how?

Just have to play better. Art Jones being back should help. Run fits were sloppy, guys were gapping and overrunning plays, letting OL get up to backers and safeties, they were missing tackles, etc. Not taking anything away from the Pats; their gameplan and execution were excellent, and the line + Gronk all blocked their butts off. But the Colts front was sloppy and soft in that game. There's no magic fix, I don't think. Just have to play better than that, more disciplined, more patient, tackle better, etc. 

Just have to play better. Art Jones being back should help. Run fits were sloppy, guys were gapping and overrunning plays, letting OL get up to backers and safeties, they were missing tackles, etc. Not taking anything away from the Pats; their gameplan and execution were excellent, and the line + Gronk all blocked their butts off. But the Colts front was sloppy and soft in that game. There's no magic fix, I don't think. Just have to play better than that, more disciplined, more patient, tackle better, etc. 

I would be shocked if the Colts don't play the run infinitely better this week.  Now of course that leaves the dilemma of a pretty good QB in Brady and he can certainly win the game for them.  But they will not run over Indy as they have the 2 previous games.

The Patriots' offense will of course test the Colts' defense up front... the last couple of games it's been more about execution than scheme. It's not like NE had some unique game plan back in November, or last year. They just won the individual battles at the line for the most part. So they'll run it and make Indy prove they can stop it. NE will open it up some with play-action and take some shots with Gronk down the seams. 

The key to beating Brady is the same as it's always been -- get pressure with four. If they block you, Brady will find open guys. If you blitz, he'll find the right matchups and exploit them. 

I'm not sure, to be honest, what the best way is to attack the Pats' D. The Ravens did almost everything right last week and still lost. They won the battle on both lines. They ran well, they passed well... I guess the turnovers were key, but that's obvious. I suppose you've got to have some balance and it would help to avoid playing from behind, so a quick start is important for Indy. 

I would expect some different things from NE this time around. Maybe they handle Hilton a little differently since Wayne has been a non-factor in the playoffs. Maybe they bring a little more heat on Luck and really test that line. There's no real obvious answer like there was with Baltimore. 

BB is 19-8 in the postseason. All 8 of those losses have come from rematches of regular season opponents.

True, but a 9 of those 19 wins came vs. teams the Patriots beat earlier in the season. And I think every-time they have beat the Colts in the regular season and played them in the playoffs the same year the Patriots won. 

True, but a 9 of those 19 wins came vs. teams the Patriots beat earlier in the season. And I think every-time they have beat the Colts in the regular season and played them in the playoffs the same year the Patriots won. 

Stats can be used to support any argument. The Andrew Luck led Colts have never lost to the same team twice in a season.

I would be shocked if the Colts don't play the run infinitely better this week.  Now of course that leaves the dilemma of a pretty good QB in Brady and he can certainly win the game for them.  But they will not run over Indy as they have the 2 previous games.

This iteration of the Colts has not lost to the same team twice in one season, nor have they lost a rematch in the same season.

2012 -- lost to Jags in first matchup, beat them in second matchup; lost to Texans in first matchup, beat them in second matchup (and pretty much nullified their strength in the second game)

2013 -- swept the division; beat the Chiefs in Week 16, then beat them in the wild card game (this was the closest they came to losing a rematch)

2014 -- swept the division; beat the Bengals twice, in convincing fashion both times; lost to the Broncos in Week 1, beat them in the rematch

Now they have the Pats for the second time this season. The track record over three seasons suggests that the coaching staff knows how to make adjustments in rematches. But, the only team the Colts have lost to twice in the last three seasons is the Pats, easily the best coached team in the league. We'll see if this means anything, but it certainly speaks well of the coaching staff.

Something else, Greg Cosell was on with Dakich, and he had nice things to say about the Colts staff as well.

This iteration of the Colts has not lost to the same team twice in one season, nor have they lost a rematch in the same season.

2012 -- lost to Jags in first matchup, beat them in second matchup; lost to Texans in first matchup, beat them in second matchup (and pretty much nullified their strength in the second game)

2013 -- swept the division; beat the Chiefs in Week 16, then beat them in the wild card game (this was the closest they came to losing a rematch)

2014 -- swept the division; beat the Bengals twice, in convincing fashion both times; lost to the Broncos in Week 1, beat them in the rematch

Now they have the Pats for the second time this season. The track record over three seasons suggests that the coaching staff knows how to make adjustments in rematches. But, the only team the Colts have lost to twice in the last three seasons is the Pats, easily the best coached team in the league. We'll see if this means anything, but it certainly speaks well of the coaching staff.

Something else, Greg Cosell was on with Dakich, and he had nice things to say about the Colts staff as well.

I heard Cosell on Dakich's show as well.  Simms said he talked with a NFL personnel guy who also said they have a really good staff.  Venturi has also said it repeatedly but don't let the Fire Grigson, Pep, Chuck, or Manusky crowd know.  It kills their storyline.

Drop a line backer for another lineman, probably montori. If they have 6 linemen plus gronk Brady and an RB then they only have 2 WRS. Cover them with Davis and Toler, have a single high safety and the other in the box. Use Safety on Gronk with Freeman helping and stack the line with Redding, Chapman, Hughs, and Jones.

That is my useless opinion.

Amandola had a big game last week for the Pats, he is my Pats X factor to the game. (That and if they run the ball well lol)

Bellichick says Moncrief is "definitely a problem".

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Tom-Brady-Patriots-Players-Talk-About-Another-Matchup-With-The-Colts/328ad796-1954-42b4-9aa0-bd4481a6637a

I've heard him speak of Moncrief in this way on more than one occasion.  I'm wondering in this game if they will put the main focus on taking away Moncrief and Hilton with the intent on keeping us limited to focusing on the backs, tight ends, Nicks, and Wayne in the passing game?

I think we definitely have to make sure our running game is a threat in this one to really cause them some problems.

We can go all day with this... the Colts (this Luck version) has not played the Patriots twice in a season, Luck has never won in Foxboro, the Patriots have never lost the AFCCG when they played the late game...

None of it really matters.  

What will matter is execution and ball security esp with the nasty wind/rain predicted.