Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to Beating New England

Andrew Luck's Beard

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not have over 2 dozen mistakes by my count with the holding penalties that lead to so many 2 and 3rd and long, missed FG, points created after interceptions, maybe Cribbs can learn to fair catch (twice) when about to get hammered; mistake free football basically.

I think the team needs to go into the game with the mindset that the Pats can't hurt them.  They will no longer let teams put up 30 - 40 points on them, and no longer be happy with FG's.  They are going to have to go into the game PO'd and ready to kick some butt.  No more Mister Nice guy, unless it comes from Luck, as he gets into peoples heads by congratulating them for big hits.

We're going to need a fairly refereed game.  Denver was holding our receivers all day and the few times we did it we were called for it. 

Gronk needs to be #1 priority.  Bump him at the line and throw off the timing and hope the refs play fair.

I think our run stoppage will take care of itself unlike week 11. 

We need to hit Brady like Baltimore did. 

Need Luck to play like he has been these playoffs.   

I think we have a great chance to win. We have a blueprint on how to beat them and we're going to get some help from the Ravens. 

True. Unfortunately, Brady still has a live arm. Press coverage could be tough.

Hey, anything can happen, from getting blown out to squeaking out a win.

Wouldn't it be great if AV beats them on a last second FG?

How awesome would it be for AV to kick a 48 yard FG in a blizzard to send the Colts to the SuperBowl!

I really don't understand why, but the Pats are really the only team that has run the ball on us like that. Gonna be a lot of film study this week...

The reason they ran so much on the colts this year was because the Colts lined up incorrectly against them when they had the 6th lineman out. When they had 6 linemen and Gronk they put Gronk on one end and the extra lineman on the other. The Colts lined up as if the side Gronk was on was the strong side and the side with the 6th lineman was the weak side. Guess which side they ran to. I don't expect them to make that mistake again.

My thoughts too. Although a playoff Brady isn't as easy as a playoff peyton. But hey I believe in our colts!

Not that Brady is someone to shrug off, but he wasn't the one giving us fits the last two times we met. We didn't close off the Broncos run game, and we gave up a crucial third down that shouldn't have happened. But we didn't let them control the clock either. And I would like to think that we're not going to go into the Patriots game again and let them rush for 200 yards. If we do, I'll be extremely disappionted. Our game plan I think will be similar against the Pats as it was the Broncos. Maybe we attack different parts of their offensive line, but I think if we can limit their run game and Gronk like we did against Julius Thomas and CJ Anderson, we stand a real chance at winning.

My thoughts for offense:

Keep throwing to RB's! If we have to dink and dunk then so be it, but its working well, and The Ravens were doing a great job at it against the Pats.

Throw to whoever Browner is covering.

On the would be TD that got called back for Holmes holding, off memory, I want to say that was a read option. Even if it wasn't, let Luck run it a few times to keep the D honest.

I'd like to see the Bradshaw play at the goal line, but instead of throwing to RB (Denver saw that a mile away when we tried with Doyle I think) throw to TE on other side, or Castanzo again.

Roll Luck out. The guy can throw on the run crazy well.

Defense:

I don't believe anyone can truely cover Gronk, but put Freeman and safety help on him.

I think Brown should play more against the pass. Landry was better than usual, but that's not saying much.

Our defense really played well against the run the last two weeks. Keep up the great work guys!!

Anyone else notice Gronk limping on a few plays against the Ravens? If I played on the Colts D and noticed that, I'd be like a shark that tastes blood....and go in for the kill!!!! Of course he still had a good game, but he's banged up.....like someone else posted, hit him low don't try to tackle his upper body he's a strong dude. Great player, but can't stand him.

I believe with Art Jones back, and Chapman looking good yesterday we will put up a better fight against the run.  Im not too worried about the NE WR's with Davis Toler and Butler playing as well as they are.  The other big thing is obviously limiting Gronk.  Hit him every play and double team him.  I have a good feeling about this game if the play calling is as good as it was against Denver.

On the offensive side of the ball, no bad turnovers, limit the penalties (they are killing us), and simply take what the defense gives us.  No slow starts.  Score TD's in the redzone instead of being held to FG's.  Limit 3 n outs, to control time of possession.  If we play smart football, I can see Sergio doing the Ric Flair once again, and the Colts going to Arizona!

On Defense: Stop the run, jam their smaller receivers at the line using Davis and Toler, double up on Gronk, pressure Brady.

On Offense: Mix in runs with a pass happy gameplan, set up play action, spread the defense out, keep Trent inactive, id rather see Boom out there and Tipton as his relief.

No turnovers, rough Brady up, good offensive line protection, stop the run and play the New England receivers just like we played the Broncos receivers.  I think overall the Broncos have better receivers but I think Gronks better than any one receiver on the Broncos.  Stay with Edelman and LaFell and contain Gronk.  Brady will get flustered if he gets hit a little bit too.  Brady's the same as manning, it's practially impossible to stop him, you have to rattle him and knock him off his spots the best you can.

No turnovers, rough Brady up, good offensive line protection, stop the run and play the New England receivers just like we played the Broncos receivers.  I think overall the Broncos have better receivers but I think Gronks better than any one receiver on the Broncos.  Stay with Edelman and LaFell and contain Gronk.  Brady will get flustered if he gets hit a little bit too.  Brady's the same as manning, it's practially impossible to stop him, you have to rattle him and knock him off his spots the best you can.

He was hit a TON vs Baltimore and was never flustered coming back from 14 pts down twice and no run game.

Other than the obvious stopping of the run and not turning it over, OL performance will dictate everything in this game.

Get to Brady's OL and make it a 60 minute game. Our OL needs to do its part as well. That is where the game will be won or lost, the performance of the OLs.

Keys to beating NE? I'll give you my take as a Pats fan. Someone mentioned stop the run. Yes, you can do that, just as Baltimore did, but with their offense, Brady can overcome no run by spreading it around, short/quick passes that go for 4 yards, but that run for 7 more. I was at the Ravens game sitting low in the south endzone. And on TV players run a certain speed. But watching Gronk cross to the middle to catch that TD. That happened so fast. Brady saw it the entire way, Ravens saw it, nothing they could do about that.

So yeah, the run game is a weak link, but Brady has enough weapons to overcome that. The O line for me is still the scariest part of the equation for me. I think the Patriots match up well defensively, and certainly our secondary. McCourty was playing insane Saturday.

Also, watch out for Gray. Sitting him out and having him nurse that ankle, Belichick might just have something up his hoodie. If the Colts totally expect Gray won't be a factor, Gray might just show on on down #1 and have a gameplan behind him to work with.

Usually, when you get this far, you are a good, solid team. Luck (not the QB) can only get you so far. At some point, it's the gameplay that gets you to where you are at. So starting with two good teams, you look at matchups, history, trends, etc. As far as those goes, I like the Patriots chances since Luck hasn't had much against the Patriots. I don't expect the Colts to bring any new wrinkles that Belichick won't be able to counter. As Colts/Pats games go, Luck's INTs could make or break him.

I like Luck, and when Brady retires, I'd love Luck as our QB. But I think this is the year Patriots finally get that monkey off their backs. I mean this is our 9th AFC title game, and we've had some heartbreaks in this game, and some heartbreaks in the SB. But after everyone wrote this team off after KC, the ONLY thing the Patriots could do they did-- Win.

So I know there is no love lost between Colts and Patriots, but from a football standpoint, you have to admire what they did on that run. Forget Bills game, as that was meaningless. That stretch after KC just GB beat them, and that TD late in 1st half really did them in. I think Patriots win that game a second time, and I like my chances against GB should we/they make it to SB.

So from my standpoint, the keys to beating NE, no turnovers, no big mistakes, and pressure Brady. That's really the only way I see Colts winning. If you can make Brady throw a duck or two early in the snap, you can get some points of turnovers. But DO NOT expect Patriots to spot you 14 points like Ravens. Baltimore was playing perfect ball early on and Patriots were still in the locker room.

We have one thing in common-- we both know where we'll be on Sunday evening.

Keys to beating NE? I'll give you my take as a Pats fan. Someone mentioned stop the run. Yes, you can do that, just as Baltimore did, but with their offense, Brady can overcome no run by spreading it around, short/quick passes that go for 4 yards, but that run for 7 more. I was at the Ravens game sitting low in the south endzone. And on TV players run a certain speed. But watching Gronk cross to the middle to catch that TD. That happened so fast. Brady saw it the entire way, Ravens saw it, nothing they could do about that.

So yeah, the run game is a weak link, but Brady has enough weapons to overcome that. The O line for me is still the scariest part of the equation for me. I think the Patriots match up well defensively, and certainly our secondary. McCourty was playing insane Saturday.

Also, watch out for Gray. Sitting him out and having him nurse that ankle, Belichick might just have something up his hoodie. If the Colts totally expect Gray won't be a factor, Gray might just show on on down #1 and have a gameplan behind him to work with.

Usually, when you get this far, you are a good, solid team. Luck (not the QB) can only get you so far. At some point, it's the gameplay that gets you to where you are at. So starting with two good teams, you look at matchups, history, trends, etc. As far as those goes, I like the Patriots chances since Luck hasn't had much against the Patriots. I don't expect the Colts to bring any new wrinkles that Belichick won't be able to counter. As Colts/Pats games go, Luck's INTs could make or break him.

I like Luck, and when Brady retires, I'd love Luck as our QB. But I think this is the year Patriots finally get that monkey off their backs. I mean this is our 9th AFC title game, and we've had some heartbreaks in this game, and some heartbreaks in the SB. But after everyone wrote this team off after KC, the ONLY thing the Patriots could do they did-- Win.

So I know there is no love lost between Colts and Patriots, but from a football standpoint, you have to admire what they did on that run. Forget Bills game, as that was meaningless. That stretch after KC just GB beat them, and that TD late in 1st half really did them in. I think Patriots win that game a second time, and I like my chances against GB should we/they make it to SB.

So from my standpoint, the keys to beating NE, no turnovers, no big mistakes, and pressure Brady. That's really the only way I see Colts winning. If you can make Brady throw a duck or two early in the snap, you can get some points of turnovers. But DO NOT expect Patriots to spot you 14 points like Ravens. Baltimore was playing perfect ball early on and Patriots were still in the locker room.

We have one thing in common-- we both know where we'll be on Sunday evening.

Nice analysis and welcome to the board! I agree with your breakdown. We need to get in Brady's face!

PASS TO SETUP THE RUN.

It's worked two weeks in a row and it will work again. It's a lot easier to run the ball when linebackers and safeties have to protect the middle of the field and not crowd the line. We like to run into 8 man boxes until were down in points and then open it up. Make them play they pass and then run it at them.

It is amazing!!  Truly a miracle.  I haven't saw 1 NE troll on this forum all day.  Remember the previous meeting between the 2 teams earlier this season.  I believe 13 pages on a thread from Monday alone.  Over 30 on the same thread the whole week.  I definitely look for this to change as the week goes on, but this is kind of nice :)  Celebrating a great win w/o people objecting..  No fans complaining, I could definitely get use to this atmosphere around here.  Not gonna hold my breath tho.

It is amazing!!  Truly a miracle.  I haven't saw 1 NE troll on this forum all day.  Remember the previous meeting between the 2 teams earlier this season.  I believe 13 pages on a thread from Monday alone.  Over 30 on the same thread the whole week.  I definitely look for this to change as the week goes on, but this is kind of nice :)  Celebrating a great win w/o people objecting..  No fans complaining, I could definitely get use to this atmosphere around here.  Not gonna hold my breath tho.

Not yet, you know how they is? Their still in shock over that game...

The reason they ran so much on the colts this year was because the Colts lined up incorrectly against them when they had the 6th lineman out. When they had 6 linemen and Gronk they put Gronk on one end and the extra lineman on the other. The Colts lined up as if the side Gronk was on was the strong side and the side with the 6th lineman was the weak side. Guess which side they ran to. I don't expect them to make that mistake again.

The thing is, when they line up like that, there is no weak side. Gronk run blocks about as well as a tackle; at least he did in that game. So it's not so much a mistake in alignment. It's about handling the matchups.

Beside that, the linemen got no push, Kerr was pretty bad in that game, Art Jones was missing, Redding overran a bunch of plays. And the backers were often out of position or swallowed up by blockers in the second level because of poor run fits from the linemen. And that's really what my issue is, as our defensive front doesn't get beat like that against any other team. As a matter of fact, the Pats offense doesn't really beat anyone like that, but us. 

Even going back to last year's playoff game, while they weren't blowing the front off the ball, they were getting just enough, just enough, just enough, and then finally, we made a mistake and Blount goes 73 yards for the TD. 

It's a head scratcher, IMO.

So you troll about the trolls? ironic

In all due respect, there are several valued Patriots fans on this forum.