Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to Beating New England

Andrew Luck's Beard

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds a little crazy but I might put Harrison back in at Center to handle Wilfork and slide Holmes over to RG, I don't think Holmes is quite strong enough to move around Wilfork yet and I still think Holmes best spot is at RG pulling and getting up to the 2nd level

Yeah, I don't think that is a good idea.  They just started the same 5 o'linemen in back to back games for the first time all year.  For contnuity sakes, I think they have to keep that same 5 together.  Even if they did move Holmes to RG, and the Pats viewed him as a weak spot, that is where Wilfork will line up. 

be ready for anything. BB is the master of doing something different every week

Couldn't have said it better myself, it's one game to go to the SB. Pagano and company must have multiple gameplans just in case or better yet when things start to breakdown. Can't have a stretch where it starts to landslide and we go down 10-14 in a quick momentum swing.

If it's one of those games where they start gashing us with either the run or pass, we're done. Have to keep this close and make them earn everything.

Posted · Hidden by -JJ-, January 14, 2015 - profanity as part of a player name
Hidden by -JJ-, January 14, 2015 - profanity as part of a player name

Having someone other than Luck being our top rusher will be a big help in this game. Luck-15 yds

Bradshaw- 4 yards and T Rich- 0 yds. Running up the gut is probably not an option in this game with

fat Wilfuk plugging the middle.

Short passes to the RB's is looking awfully good again this week.

We have to play p****d off and with a chip on our shoulders. This team disrespected and embarrassed you in your own house. Take it personal and bring the fight to them

I agree with this, but guys have control with your aggression. No taunting and late hits on Cry Baby (oops Brady). However, hit him as often as you like prior to the whistle!

I think priority #1 is stopping the run. They know how to kill us with their big backs. Luckily, we have Arthur Jones this time, who'll help us in the middle, where they really killed us.

DING!   DING!!   DING!!!!    :thmup:     Winner!    Winner!!     Chicken Dinner!!     :thmup:

I'm not bothering reading three pages of responses.  The OP gets it right!      :thmup:

1.    Stop the Run!

2.    Stop the Run!

3.    Stop the Run!

4.    Stop Brady and company.

Posted · Hidden by -JJ-, January 14, 2015 - quoted hidden post
Hidden by -JJ-, January 14, 2015 - quoted hidden post

Having someone other than Luck being our top rusher will be a big help in this game. Luck-15 yds

Bradshaw- 4 yards and T Rich- 0 yds. Running up the gut is probably not an option in this game with

fat Wilfuk plugging the middle.

Short passes to the RB's is looking awfully good again this week.

Hey MODS, how is this guy still here?

Brady and Manning are Bird and Magic.  Luck is Jordan.  Luck has more natural talent, strength and speed than Brady and Manning and eventually, (like Jordan) he takes his rightful place at the top.  (side note...I'm actually a Bird fan but that didn't help my analogy). 

I hope they put Browner on Fleener again. That was fun. Five targets, five catches, 118 yards.

Yes, he had a great game. But that was because Patriots were putting pressure on the primary receivers. Fleener actually did better than your post said-- he had 7 catches for 144 yards, with 7 targets. 20.6 average with a long of 45. But it was only 1 of 2 100+ games he had this season. Many games he barely had 50 yards receiving. So I have no problem giving Fleener his numbers as long as we shut down the primary handlers. As you probably know, the Patriots D will often give up the numbers between the 20s, but in the redzone they clamp down. Just based on the current trend vs Luck, I really like Patriots chances in this game, and playing @ home is just a big bonus. The BIG question is will our running game show up? We probably all will agree that if we get the rushing yards we had last time, it's no contest. But Gray shot out like a bright star, then he was in BB's dog house, then he got dinged up a little, and it's been a long time since the cover of SI.

Brady and Manning are Bird and Magic.  Luck is Jordan.  Luck has more natural talent, strength and speed than Brady and Manning and eventually, (like Jordan) he takes his rightful place at the top.  (side note...I'm actually a Bird fan but that didn't help my analogy). 

Your analogy is well taken, however Jordan proved himself after *many* years and had a full, storied career. Is Luck the future of the NFL? I think so. But I'd take Aaron Rodgers if I had a 5 year window and wanted to win.

Brady, like all *good* athletes knows his limitations, and especially with age, knows what works for him. He doesn't sling the ball like he used to, and part of that is there is no long receiver (like Moss) who can just jump up and grab the ball. His strengths now are the short to medium pass game. He can still throw a bullet. My big gripe with Brady is with his release, he often throws that ball much too low for me. I'd love to see him catch Gronk in stride high, but he's often throwing below the waist, often below the knees. He'd make a good Red Sox pitcher on some days.

But look what he did in the second half of the Ravens game. Not a single rush. He took that team on his shoulders and carried them to the win. I mean which QB has the playoff experience that Brady has? And that experience means a lot. It means the difference between holding back and maybe taking a 4th down to punt, and forcing a ball where it shouldn't go to try to force a play. Luck I don't think has the playoff mindset that Brady has, and I think he's more apt to make that big mistake more so than Brady. But after that ugly INT Brady had against the Ravens, I don't know...

Watching the game we played against them this season. We must do a better job getting off of blocks and tackling. That was the only problem I've seen so far. The give is Luck can't turn the ball over. Take shots, but make sure out guys are on the same page. The two INT's vs Broncos weren't his fault. Moncrief running wrong routes and not fight for the ball. Rookie mistakes though on his part.

Yes, he had a great game. But that was because Patriots were putting pressure on the primary receivers. Fleener actually did better than your post said-- he had 7 catches for 144 yards, with 7 targets. 20.6 average with a long of 45. But it was only 1 of 2 100+ games he had this season. Many games he barely had 50 yards receiving. So I have no problem giving Fleener his numbers as long as we shut down the primary handlers. As you probably know, the Patriots D will often give up the numbers between the 20s, but in the redzone they clamp down. Just based on the current trend vs Luck, I really like Patriots chances in this game, and playing @ home is just a big bonus. The BIG question is will our running game show up? We probably all will agree that if we get the rushing yards we had last time, it's no contest. But Gray shot out like a bright star, then he was in BB's dog house, then he got dinged up a little, and it's been a long time since the cover of SI.

Yeah, I don't know about all of that. I thought we presented matchup issues for your team in the first game, and I still think that. Not only has our offense shown a bit more explosiveness since then, but Dwayne Allen will play more than 14 snaps this week, and hopefully the defense does a better job and we get more than 56 plays. I still don't think the Pats can handle TY one on one, and if they bracket him, they'll have to figure out a way to cover Fleener and Allen. 

By the way, those five catches and 118 yards came specifically against Browner. The other two were against Collins, who's really, really good, but he'll have his hands full. I don't think it matters that Fleener didn't go for 100 yards every week; that's kind of unreasonable. He ate well against the Pats, and has beaten all kinds of LBs and safeties this year. 

Oh, and then the Ravens and Flacco gave that pass defense fits. Our weapons are better, and our QB is better. I think the Pats can be attacked through the air. Revis is great. McCourty is really good. They scheme well, and execute well. But they are going to have to cover every inch of that field on Sunday.

I would do whatever it is that Rex Ryan does against New England. I'm not sure what it is specifically, but he sure does seem to bring his A game against Belicheck.

No kidding. If Pagano and Co. copied the Seahawks gameplan to stop Denver they absolutely should take a look at the Jets gameplan.

True. Unfortunately, Brady still has a live arm. Press coverage could be tough.

Hey, anything can happen, from getting blown out to squeaking out a win.

Wouldn't it be great if AV beats them on a last second FG?

I actually dreams that av did that last night lol.

I just have a great feeling about this game.

Here's what we have to best

-we need to score early, and consistently

-pressure on Brady, cause him to make a mistake, or two

-establish a running game early(or attempt to) haha

-get off the field on 3rd down on D

-stop trick plays/prepare for ineligibles

-luck needs to have no more than one turnover

How well did that work out for the ravens?

I understand your point......    but....

Whenever the Colts defense has done well, it's because they have mostly taken away the run and reduced the other team to being one dimensional.     And then, once that's done,   hopefully our corners play as they did the last few weeks.

The other option is to have the Patriots RB's cut our hearts out with runs between the tackles as they did in the playoffs last year and the regular season this year.     And that didn't work out well for us either.

I think stopping the run increases our chances of success.    It may not guarantee a win,  but I think it's our only path to an upset...

Just my opinion.....  

Oh....   and looking up at another post of yours,  I agree...   we can't turn the ball over...  and we need to get a turnover or two and convert....

I have the same feeling in this game that I had going into the Denver game.   I feel pretty good about this one as well.

I think we are going to go in there and pull this one out too.  I just don't feel any feelings of hesitation.

I think we are ready this time.........

I can say as a colts fan, we wouldnt have won Sunday if Peyton Manning's torn quad was healed up all the way

His torn quad was the reason he had too much power behind the ball which overshot his receivers?

His torn quad was the reason D.T. had the horrible drop?

His torn quad was the reason we held CJ Anderson to 80 yards?

His torn quad was the reason their O-Line forgot to cover Jonathon Newsome on the strip sack?

K.

His torn quad was the reason he had too much power behind the ball which overshot his receivers?

His torn quad was the reason D.T. had the horrible drop?

His torn quad was the reason we held CJ Anderson to 80 yards?

His torn quad was the reason their O-Line forgot to cover Jonathon Newsome on the strip sack?

K.

He kept over shooting the ball bc of the torn quad

It'll be interesting to see if BB puts extra guys into coverage, daring us to run.  If he does, I hope we have the discipline to let Herron run it often.  We could have some success at that, as NE's run defense isn't generally very good recently.

How well did that work out for the ravens?

The problem is that the Ravens have absolutely no CB's who can cover WR's down the field. It's easily their biggest weakness defensively.

If the Colts were able to even remotely do what the Ravens did in stopping the Patriots running game, I feel great about the Colts chances considering they actually have CB's who can cover WR's 1-3.

No direspect but you are in * for saying this... Jordan had titles just like Brady, Luck has zero.. Talk about being a biased fan, you must be like 12 years old or something.