Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dick Lebeau out as Steelers DC

HtownColt

@gerrydulac: Dick LeBeau out as defensive coordinator. Says he and #Steelers have agreed to mutually part ways: "Time to go in a different direction."

Edit:

@SI_PeterKing: LeBeau told Urbana (Ohio) Daily Citizen he is resigning, not retiring. Wow. He’s 77.

Hmm. Wonder if they promote Joey Porter to D Coordinator or John Mitchell........Mitchell has been a part of the defensive staff for the Steelers for 21 years......Joey has only 1 year of experience now...But he actually played in that defense...Seems like the two biggest candidates maybe if they are going to hire within

Try 22 iirc...atleast 20, and the Steelers weren't even the best defenses he ever coached to some people. He coached those old Packers defenses and those Bengals defenses that were pretty good.

He was also a HoF player who was 1 of the best players on the Lions behind Night Train Lane and that other guy whose name escapes me...guy on the NFL Network's top 10 players not in the HoF list.

He played offense and defense at Ohio St. He was just a beast in every level of football.

Hmm. Wonder if they promote Joey Porter to D Coordinator or John Mitchell........Mitchell has been a part of the defensive staff for the Steelers for 21 years......Joey has only 1 year of experience now...But he actually played in that defense...Seems like the two biggest candidates maybe if they are going to hire within

I would say the LB coach Keith Butler. Pagano wanted him as his DC but he decided to stay with the Steelers

Well, Steelers fans did say they wanted him gone over and over during the year. If it wasn't him or Todd Haley at offensive coordinator they wanted gone.

I think he will retire soon.

Steelers defense has issues that he can't fix. they are old and run down. Sadly, that team has a great habit of giving other teams valuable weapons. They let the Pats have Blount back, and they let the Saints have Keenan Lewis.

Well, Steelers fans did say they wanted him gone over and over during the year. If it wasn't him or Todd Haley at offensive coordinator they wanted gone.

I think he will retire soon.

Steelers defense has issues that he can't fix. they are old and run down. Sadly, that team has a great habit of giving other teams valuable weapons. They let the Pats have Blount back, and they let the Saints have Keenan Lewis.

Fans re just fans, Many want there whole team basically blown up after a bad loss

I wonder if "mutually agreed to part ways" means the Steelers wanted to bring some new blood into the DC position, and out of respect they let Lebeau know he should "resign".

I could see this....it is after all open season for other teams to poach coordinators and positions coaches, and I can see a situation where Rooney and the front office might have suggested that he "resign" so some younger guy off their staff doesn't get swiped.

What LeBeau does from here is his business....but at 77 years old I get the feeling his agent is going to get the "we'll get back to you" treatment if he's looking for another DC position.

And seriously...at his age he shouldn't even buy green bananas let alone be looking for another NFL coaching job.

With Arizona now having a DC vacancy and Arians being the HC there, could LeBeau resurface in the desert?

They are already offering LeBeau an assistant to head coach position there. Retirement parties for Tom Moore and Dick LeBeau out there in the desert with Arians :)

true, but the Bears are a Chinese fire drill right now

Nah, They need to reign in Cutler a bit and remember what the hell run the ball means but they need a Safety, pass rusher and cover ILB, The biggest question is will they commit to the run, In Cutlers 15 games played he averaged 37 pass attempts.......Not good