Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Marvin Lewis finally get fired?

amfootball

Its going to be hard for him, a.m... I like him. He's a very nice man, it seems..

And I know I always say the goal of a team is to make the playoffs every year...and the bengals sure do that.

...and they are beaten up and injured. I didnt think they'd win in Indy.

But you're question still stands. I can hear WLW in Cincy from where Iive and they were very unhappy after the losses to Pitt

The problem is you want to maintain what you've got.

2 years ago..the Bears were 10-6 but they wanted more and they sent Lovie Smith out of town.

What a disaster that's been..

If I had to make the decision Id be a soft-hearted wimp and let him and Andy D. stay and try again next year

No.

And why should he?

Cincy was without it's top WR in Green,  their two top TE's in Eifert and Gresham and a number of the better defensive players.

They were the underdog on the road and they lost.

What did he do wrong?

He may not be a great coach,  but he's not a bad one either.......

He may not be a great coach,  but he's not a bad one either.......

Mediocrity doesn't often win a SB. Actually I think Lewis is a good coach, but like many hampered by a mediocre at best QB. That's partially his fault, though.

CIN really needs to move on from Dalton as he is not the answer. You could always do worse, but CIN must do better at the QB position if they ever want to win anything. They have to take that chance if they ever want a shot at going anywhere. Either that or the rest of the team needs to be amazing to help carry Dalton.

They were once again without a lot of weapons on offense. But still, the Bengals going to the postseason and losing in the wildcard round has become a staple of the NFL that is expected to happen every season. I wouldn't be surprised if he does get cut loose after all.

Mediocrity doesn't often win a SB. Actually I think Lewis is a good coach, but like many hampered by a mediocre at best QB. That's partially his fault, though.

CIN really needs to move on from Dalton as he is not the answer. You could always do worse, but CIN must do better at the QB position if they ever want to win anything. They have to take that chance if they ever want a shot at going anywhere. Either that or the rest of the team needs to be amazing to help carry Dalton.

I think the problem with Cincy drafting a QB this spring is that I don't think there's a very good crop of QB's to pick from.

It's Winston/Mariotta or Mariotta/Winston (whichever your preference)  and the rest are the seven dwarfs.

Nice college QB's who will likely not be very good NFL QB's.     So,  the Bengals will have to do their homework and see if they can't find a diamond in the rough. 

But that's easier said than done.....

I think they are riding the stay on course type philosophy, so many teams roll through head coaches and never have success just coaches after coaches and losing seasons, its hard to find good coaches. At least he makes it to the playoffs. I think they give him and Dalton one more year and if its the same old song and dance or worse. Cut Dalton because of his ridiculous contract and goodbye Lewis

I heard Mike Flynn, former Raven and sports commentator in Boston. Apparently the Bengals are ridiculously cheap; they have fewer trainers and coaches than other teams, players often have to buy replacement jockstraps, etc.

Marvin is apparently willing to deal with such an owner. And they know it, and are comfortable with their arrangement.

The bengals are actually my 2nd favorite team in the league. But they are a far ways behind my beloved Colts and are easy to route against. However, I don't think firing Lewis would get them anywhere. I think it'd send them backwards. To me, the bengals are simply a better coached Houston Texans. They have a decent O line. They have two good running backs in Hill and Bernard but they are hampered by poor decisions and poor throws of Andy Dalton. Dalton is Tony Romo version 2.0. Chokes in the postseason and big games. Has since he entered the league. Sadly, as mentioned before, they really have no one to turn too that's gonna get them anywhere as the QB coming out just aren't impressive and the FA QBs...well there's even fewer options there. They'll suffer through another year of Dalton at least

The definition of coaching is getting the most out of every player and resource. Marvin Lewis is coaching perfectly in that regard. The fact that his resources and players don't yield more isn't usually on him.

Remember how Andy Dalton became the starter??? Carson Palmer bailed because he couldn't even get a new hand towel. Marvin Lewis was close to bailing too until they fired everybody he wanted fired from the office. Sadly though nothing changed with Mike Brown on top of everything.

Marvin Lewis shouldn't be fired. He should quit.

Why? Its hard to take 0-6 in the post-season is why.

When you're not a Bengals fans...or bengals management..Id guess its a lot easier

OK, would you rather be a Bengals fan at 0-6, having had the excitement of at least being in the playoffs 6 of 11 seasons, or would you rather be a Bills fan at 0-0, having never had your team win more than 9 games in any of those 11 seasons and only winning more than 7 games twice?

He probably should but won't.  In his defense, his team was banged up this time around in the playoffs.  You would like to think a different coach could get them over the hump but if you look at the flip side, he has gotten them in the playoffs the last 4 years.  Look at what the Bears did, fired a coach who was 10-6 and then went under .500 the next 3 years.  I understand they have more problems but still.  Maybe the Bengals need to think about getting a different QB?  There are a ton of question marks I guess.

I heard Mike Flynn, former Raven and sports commentator in Boston. Apparently the Bengals are ridiculously cheap; they have fewer trainers and coaches than other teams, players often have to buy replacement jockstraps, etc.

Marvin is apparently willing to deal with such an owner. And they know it, and are comfortable with their arrangement.

Mike Brown used to make players buy their own Gatorade.

Firing a coach for getting you to the playoffs but not being able to win in the playoffs is a bad idea IMO.  

You are one of the top teams in the NFL year in and year out. . . Not a good idea to roll the dice on a new coach IMO.

Scared money doesn't win

OK, would you rather be a Bengals fan at 0-6, having had the excitement of at least being in the playoffs 6 of 11 seasons, or would you rather be a Bills fan at 0-0, having never had your team win more than 9 games in any of those 11 seasons and only winning more than 7 games twice?

The problem with that is... they don't get to make a comparison between the Bills and Cincy.

..Its a comparison between division rivals Baltimore, Pittsbugh and Cincy. Bengals lose that one badly..

The excitement of losing in the first playoff game is seriously lost on me....

But with that said..Lewis seems like a quality guy who does not embarrass the franchise...

With the injuries they had in 2014...I'd bring the group back next year for at least one more try..

The problem with that is... they don't get to make a comparison between the Bills and Cincy.

..Its a comparison between division rivals Baltimore, Pittsbugh and Cincy. Bengals lose that one badly..

The excitement of losing in the first playoff game is seriously lost on me....

But with that said..Lewis seems like a quality guy who does not embarrass the franchise...

With the injuries they had in 2014...I'd bring the group back next year for at least one more try..

They compare favorably to division rival Cleveland ;)