Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Hasselbeck not considering retirement

RockThatBlue

I finally watched Matthew Hasselbeck play in the second half of the final regular season vs the Tennessee Titans on my DVR. Matthew moved the ball very well with nice rotation on the ball. He was actually clicking well with WR Nicks which reminded me of his SB year with the NY Giants under Eli Manning. 

I know I always say this: Matthew was robbed of a SB ring in 2005 by horrible zebra officiating & that I'd love to see him win a ring with INDY under Luck, but I can't see Grigs bringing him back next season. I think the world of Matthew & I know he loves Indianapolis as a city as a great place to raise a family. Plus, the fans are so humble, kind, welcoming, & down to earth. However, I can't see Hasselbeck taking a home town discount to return to LOS. He's had 2 years to teach Andrew how to dissect games in the film room & he's taught Luck probably everything he knows in that window IMO. 

I hate to say this, but Matthew is gone & won't be a Colt next year. Good luck Matthew & thanks for helping our QB flourish under your leadership. Darn, I wanted to get Hasselbeck a Championship before he stepped down because I have such profound respect for the man. He was a fine starting QB for the Seahawks & Titans too. 

I'm wrong a lot in my proclamations & I'd love to have egg on my face in this case, but my gut tells he's not wearing white & blue collars next year. I agree CR91. Matthew is an exceptional backup QB & I'm usually wrong so often that if I was on WallStreet the only way any clients would make billions is if they consistently did the opposite of what I told them to do.  haha

The only deal I can see Grigs offering Matthew is an incentive laden one & he'd never agree to that with the limited number of game snaps a backup traditionally gets. Plus, there are a lot of other teams who will pay Matthew good money for his veteran presence & experience as a 2nd string field general. 

The only element in play here that might make a difference is what Matthew's wife wants to do. Yeah, I know his wife doesn't play ball, but if she loves the schools, shopping, & community where they currently live right now, Matthew might take less money to remain in INDY. He was paid handsomely in Seattle when he was the franchise QB under Mike Holmgren so it's not like he's living paycheck to paycheck. 

It's a longshot, but what the wife wants; the wife gets just to keep everything quiet & content on the homefront. That remote possibility might work in our favor. It's rare, but the door is open a slight crack here. 

If he wants he will be back playing 100 or so snaps for a few million is hard to pass add in staying put not leaning a new system it is a no brainer .

An excellent point B-Town. If I was a middle aged QB, I sure wouldn't wanna learn a new offensive scheme either. 

That's the best argument, I've heard yet for Matthew staying put in INDY. Well done! 

That is great news because he's as good a backup as there is in the NFL..

...and Luck is going to get hurt eventually..its inevitable..

Look at how entire seasons are ruined because a team doesn't have a backup

Chap was talking with Grady and Big Joe I think saying that Matt H got really "juiced" by getting in the Cowboy game.    And that "IF" he came back other teams will throw some cash his way to START.    

The Colts will have to cough up some really nice jingle to retain his services .     They won't come cheap.

I honestly don't think Indy will be able to afford him next season.      Arizona is a team I can totally see going after him hard.

Houston?   Buffalo?    If Matt wants to be a backup in Indy then that is great but .???   Who knows??

Colts will have to re-sign him and a few other teams will be interested in his services I am sure but still I think the Colts will re-sign him.

The fact Indy had the 2 best QB's in the AFC south in not news.  

It has been a running joke on local radio the entire year....   

I seriously think Arizona might throw him some cheez to back up Carson.

We had top two QBs in the AFC South.

Good call, Monroe!

I finally watched Matthew Hasselbeck play in the second half of the final regular season vs the Tennessee Titans on my DVR. Matthew moved the ball very well with nice rotation on the ball. He was actually clicking well with WR Nicks which reminded me of his SB year with the NY Giants under Eli Manning. 

I know I always say this: Matthew was robbed of a SB ring in 2005 by horrible zebra officiating & that I'd love to see him win a ring with INDY under Luck, but I can't see Grigs bringing him back next season. I think the world of Matthew & I know he loves Indianapolis as a city as a great place to raise a family. Plus, the fans are so humble, kind, welcoming, & down to earth. However, I can't see Hasselbeck taking a home town discount to return to LOS. He's had 2 years to teach Andrew how to dissect games in the film room & he's taught Luck probably everything he knows in that window IMO. 

I hate to say this, but Matthew is gone & won't be a Colt next year. Good luck Matthew & thanks for helping our QB flourish under your leadership. Darn, I wanted to get Hasselbeck a Championship before he stepped down because I have such profound respect for the man. He was a fine starting QB for the Seahawks & Titans too. 

I'm wrong a lot in my proclamations & I'd love to have egg on my face in this case, but my gut tells he's not wearing white & blue collars next year. I agree CR91. Matthew is an exceptional backup QB & I'm usually wrong so often that if I was on WallStreet the only way any clients would make billions is if they consistently did the opposite of what I told them to do.  haha

The only deal I can see Grigs offering Matthew is an incentive laden one & he'd never agree to that with the limited number of game snaps a backup traditionally gets. Plus, there are a lot of other teams who will pay Matthew good money for his veteran presence & experience as a 2nd string field general. 

If GRIGSON learned ANYTHING from the previous regime in Indy...it's to have a quality backup quarterback. I highly doubt that he will just let Hasslebeck walk free without making a concerted effort to retain him. The only way Hasslebeck will leave indy is if he is offered a fairly guaranteed starting position on another team....not sure that'll happen at his age. Most teams in the QB market need long term answers.

Chap was talking with Grady and Big Joe I think saying that Matt H got really "juiced" by getting in the Cowboy game.    And that "IF" he came back other teams will throw some cash his way to START.    

The Colts will have to cough up some really nice jingle to retain his services .     They won't come cheap.

I honestly don't think Indy will be able to afford him next season.      Arizona is a team I can totally see going after him hard.

Houston?   Buffalo?    If Matt wants to be a backup in Indy then that is great but .???   Who knows??

As I posted in response to another..... no way Matt is going to leave for another backup role. He has that here and he's stated he's fairly happy here so I just don't see THAT scenario playing out.

Secondly.....I can't think of ANY of the teams whom you just mentioned and any you haven't mentioned who are in a QB conundrum and are looking for a LONG-TERM answer at QB...Matt isn't that. So I don't see these teams making a concerted effort to retain his services for 1-2 years so they can "hope" to be somewhat better.

We had top two QBs in the AFC South. I'm wondering who will be the third best next season, Mariota or Winston?

It's absolutely crazy, but you are right.  The Colts have the two best QB's in the AFC South.  Third best will not be Winston, too much of a head-case.  Winston will set a team back 5 years if they draft him in the first round.  

I hope they can keep him. If, heaven forbid, Luck ever went down...Hasselbeck gives us at least a fighting chance at winning. This guy is a former Pro Bowler and SB player. He isn't some career backup. We are lucky to have him.

It's absolutely crazy, but you are right.  The Colts have the two best QB's in the AFC South.  Third best will not be Winston, too much of a head-case.  Winston will set a team back 5 years if they draft him in the first round.

He claims he's staying at FSU for another year. I doubt it.