Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis

RockThatBlue

I'm all about Vontae Davis this season, think he had the best season of any corner in the league.

But by my book, he gave up the first TD in the Steelers game. It was zone coverage, and Davis was playing the back third. Roethlisberger pump faked and moved Davis to the inside, then threw the ball to the outside. I think it was Davis' blown coverage.

That says nothing about Davis' ability to erase his man from the game every week, with several big plays and stops all year. He also avoided cover penalties. 

He doesn't get mad props until he actually follows around a #1 receiver and stops allowing half the field to be busted open by Toler's incompetence.

That's a coaching decision. And it makes sense, from an individual technique standpoint.

Meanwhile, Richard Sherman plays the defensive left 95% of the time, and is widely regarded as a top three corner, or better. 

Davis has been excellent all season long, no matter who he's been lined up against. He deserves credit for that. It's okay if you don't want to acknowledge his play; the rest of us will.

He doesn't get mad props until he actually follows around a #1 receiver and stops allowing half the field to be busted open by Toler's incompetence.

While I agree that the best corner in the game should be able to play anywhere and move around and cover the best opposing receiver, we don't have any evidence that Davis can't do that. Also, even if he doesn't, he had a stellar year.

That's a coaching decision. And it makes sense, from an individual technique standpoint.

Meanwhile, Richard Sherman plays the defensive left 95% of the time, and is widely regarded as a top three corner, or better.

Davis has been excellent all season long, no matter who he's been lined up against. He deserves credit for that. It's okay if you don't want to acknowledge his play; the rest of us will.

It really doesn't make sense actually. We both saw How teams move their #1 receiver to Toler's side and how easily he is eaten alive. I'd rather take my chances with Davis on the best receiver. I can't say the same for you.

It really doesn't make sense actually. We both saw How teams move their #1 receiver to Toler's side and how easily he is eaten alive. I'd rather take my chances with Davis on the best receiver. I can't say the same for you.

Most teams have more than one capable receiver. There are only a handful of teams on our schedule this year that have a significant dropoff from their #1 to the rest of their receivers. So this is kind of an overblown point of contention to begin with.

On top of that, several teams keep their corners on one side of the field, because it allows the receiver to play the same technique every down.

All of that having been said, a coaching decision to keep him on one side of the field most of the time is no reason not to give him deserved credit for playing well all season long.

It makes a lot of sense. When you put Davis on #1 receiver, you force both your safeties to worry about run-pass choice and coverage responsibilities. When you put Davis on one side only, you free safety from this side to play against the run more aggressively. JMO 

I know one thing, I was mad Chuck had him play basically the entirety of that meaningless game against the Titans.

At one point Vontae was out there limping around.  I was screaming for Chuck to take the guy out of the game!

I didn't get why he was playing that long at all.

Sherman also has the benefit of playing on a defense with a good pass rush and stud safeties.  Imagine if Vontae had those luxuries! !!

Watch our games and tell me you don't think he should be glued to #1s instead of letting teams put their crappiest receiver in front of him.

Should he? Yes, does that make what he has done not extremely impressive? nonsense. He hasn't given up a TD all season... NOT ONE. Including some time on opposing teams #1 receiver.... Trying to reach any conclusion without giving serious props to Davis is bogus. 

Should he? Yes, does that make what he has done not extremely impressive? nonesense. He hasn't given up a TD all season... NOT ONE. Including some time on opposing defenses #1 receiver.... Trying to reach any conclusion without giving serious props to Davis is bogus. 

DAVIS is a BUM! End of Story! He's done NOTHING but make the contracts of opposing wide receivers go DOWN!!! :P

:sarcasm: