Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another Seattle Defection [Merge]

PrincetonTiger

It was announced this morning that the Seahawks are done with the antics of Marshawn Lynch and do not expect him back next year

Doesn't his contract run out after this year?  Sounds to me like they are just gonna let him walk.N

Edit: NM his contract runs out in 2015

These kind of moves could cost them some fan support

It will cost them a lot more than that because they won't have much of a team left after this. I can't see the remaining players being too happy either. Pete will probably run like hell soon... because he seems to do that when things get tough.

It looks like the Pete Carroll regime has lost control

There are no leaders on that team.  Michael Robinson is no longer there; I like Wilson, but he's still growing; Sherman likes to talk too much and brings unnecessary attention; Carroll is a notorious cheater; Lynch does a lot of things that make you wonder what his motive is.  This is a problem when you have a very young team.  Sure, you can be set up for a lot of future success, but you need veterans in there for leadership.

There are no leaders on that team. Michael Robinson is no longer there; I like Wilson, but he's still growing; Sherman likes to talk too much and brings unnecessary attention; Carroll is a notorious cheater; Lynch does a lot of things that make you wonder what his motive is. This is a problem when you have a very young team. Sure, you can be set up for a lot of future success, but you need veterans in there for leadership.

agreed

It was announced this morning that the Seahawks are done with the antics of Marshawn Lynch and do not expect him back next year

It was common knowledge that this would be his last season in Seattle. That's why he sat out part of training camp looking for some of his future salary to be added this year. No news here.

Where is TheDude? Tired of giving excuses for the Seahawks??? :)

Dynasty, yeah right!!!

I'm right here. Excuses? Name a time I made excuses.

It was common knowledge that this would be his last season in Seattle.

Common knowledge? I don't think so. That's absurd. I've never heard anything suggesting that. This whole Seattle thing keeps snowballing. First GT leaves, then Harvin, now we're hearing rumblings of their best player taking off at the end of the season. How does this happen? If we get to the point where they do let him walk, I have to wonder if Seattle ain't the most poorly ran team behind the Raiders. I mean you win a Superbowl and within a year your 3 most important offensive weapons are gone. Why? It just baffles the mind.

Common knowledge? I don't think so. That's absurd. I've never heard anything suggesting that. This whole Seattle thing keeps snowballing. First GT leaves, then Harvin, now we're hearing rumblings of their best player taking off at the end of the season. How does this happen? If we get to the point where they do let him walk, I have to wonder if Seattle ain't the most poorly ran team behind the Raiders. I mean you win a Superbowl and within a year your 3 most important offensive weapons are gone. Why? It just baffles the mind.

This is what happens when you win a Super Bowl. Look at the Ravens after 2012. Set aside Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, they lost a lot of starters to free agency because it's hard to keep a team together in the salary cap era. It's even harder once players start charging the Super Bowl tax.

That's why the Seahawks lost Golden Tate and Walter Thurmond, for instance. They almost lost Michael Bennett. Luckily, they had Avril for two years. They did good to lock up Sherman and Thomas early. They still have to pay Russell Wilson. The losses they're experiencing aren't unusual. The only decision that really looks bad is the Percy Harvin deal, but I thought they made a mistake in trading for him and paying him big money anyways.

As for Lynch, there was an expectation that he might not be back after 2014. That's why he held out. He got an extra $1.5m in 2014, and now he has no leverage in 2015. It's unlikely that he'd take a paycut, so many have forecasted that he'd be released after this season is over. His failure to toe the company line probably makes that even more likely, but this isn't just coming out of nowhere.

What I think the Seahawks biggest problem is is a lack of offensive weapons, particularly in the run game. I've felt that way for a long time. Their defense is the strength of the team, and it's still in tact. They need some guys to catch the ball, especially someone who can get open across the middle. Paul Richardson looks like a talent, but they have some work to do. And Wilson's new money will kick in in 2016, at the latest (his signing bonus could kick in next year). They have to nail the draft, and they have to cut the fat (Lynch, for instance, maybe Okung).

Long story short, there is no way the Seahawks are poorly run. You don't win the Super Bowl with a second year QB if you're poorly run. The suggestion is silly.

This is what happens when you win a Super Bowl. Look at the Ravens after 2012. Set aside Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, they lost a lot of starters to free agency because it's hard to keep a team together in the salary cap era. It's even harder once players start charging the Super Bowl tax.

That's why the Seahawks lost Golden Tate and Walter Thurmond, for instance. They almost lost Michael Bennett. Luckily, they had Avril for two years. They did good to lock up Sherman and Thomas early. They still have to pay Russell Wilson. The losses they're experiencing aren't unusual. The only decision that really looks bad is the Percy Harvin deal, but I thought they made a mistake in trading for him and paying him big money anyways.

As for Lynch, there was an expectation that he might not be back after 2014. That's why he held out. He got an extra $1.5m in 2014, and now he has no leverage in 2015. It's unlikely that he'd take a paycut, so many have forecasted that he'd be released after this season is over. His failure to toe the company line probably makes that even more likely, but this isn't just coming out of nowhere.

What I think the Seahawks biggest problem is is a lack of offensive weapons, particularly in the run game. I've felt that way for a long time. Their defense is the strength of the team, and it's still in tact. They need some guys to catch the ball, especially someone who can get open across the middle. Paul Richardson looks like a talent, but they have some work to do. And Wilson's new money will kick in in 2016, at the latest (his signing bonus could kick in next year). They have to nail the draft, and they have to cut the fat (Lynch, for instance, maybe Okung).

Long story short, there is no way the Seahawks are poorly run. You don't win the Super Bowl with a second year QB if you're poorly run. The suggestion is silly.

Great post. I think we have to wait a couple of more seasons to see how Seattle handles things to remain competitive. They are certainly competitive this year but I have my doubts about how far they can really go because of how tough their division is but that is not really a reflection of them as they can't control that but only their own team.

The Ravens are a great example of a team that moved off from aging players, retooled, and have a very competitive team just two season removed from their ring. I still believe that Flacco is their biggest weakness and Ozzie will regret that deal but he had to pay him as everything aligned for him for the big pay day on the heels of that championship run.

In terms of the Seahawks, they HAVE to get Wilson some weapons. With Lynch moving on they need a RB and some threats at the WR position and TE. They should really be looking at Vincent Jackson right now.

It wasn't common knowledge. Just because thedude knew doesn't make it common knowledge. I know the common folk around my way didn't know.

If you were paying attention there was a lot of talk about Lynch possibly not being back this season, but also it was common knowledge with NFL fans who pay attention that this will be Lynch's last season in Seattle. You could go research the articles yourself, but I'm sure you won't.

Lynch is 70% of their offense.

They let him after this year, they aren't winning anything. Better hope they have that repeat this year then.

So, no one can replace him? You really think they can't find a replacement in the easiest offensive position to replace? I'll bet they have his replacement right now, but you just don't know it.