Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another Seattle Defection [Merge]

PrincetonTiger

If you were paying attention there was a lot of talk about Lynch possibly not being back this season, but also it was common knowledge with NFL fans who pay attention that this will be Lynch's last season in Seattle. You could go research the articles yourself, but I'm sure you won't.

Oh the absurdity. I don't know, I think maybe you're pulling my leg. You're saying it was common knowledge Lynch was gone after this season. Oh, i see what you did there. You threw the word possibly in there. Carry on dude.

If you were paying attention there was a lot of talk about Lynch possibly not being back this season, but also it was common knowledge with NFL fans who pay attention that this will be Lynch's last season in Seattle. You could go research the articles yourself, but I'm sure you won't.

I did go and Google all articles about Marshawn Lynch leaving after this season. There was one in the Seattle Times. Here's the article title: "Is this Marshawn Lynch’s last season as a Seahawk? Maybe not". So, was it possible? Yeah. Was it common knowledge that he was leaving? Not even close.

By the way, that was the only article that popped up for the dates 1/1/2013 through 9/1/2014. That's one article. In that article the reporter is actually of the opinion that he's staying.

We really didn't even need to do the whole Google thing. Because logically it didn't make sense. If you think about it, why would a recent article claim Marshawn was leaving after this year if it was common knowledge that he was already leaving? That wouldn't be news.

I did go and Google all articles about Marshawn Lynch leaving after this season. There was one in the Seattle Times. .

You're not trying to say that's the only article out there claiming either Lynch was possibly on his way out now, or this is is last year in Seattle..... Are you?

You're not trying to say that's the only article out there claiming either Lynch was possibly on his way out now, or this is is last year in Seattle..... Are you?

Nope. I'm claiming that's all Google came up with. Even without that, logically this wouldn't be news if it was common knowledge. There was no reason to think Marshawn beasting for another year couldn't have turned into a lucrative contract from Seattle.

Long story short, there is no way the Seahawks are poorly run. You don't win the Super Bowl with a second year QB if you're poorly run. The suggestion is silly.

Well I disagree. Yeah, they put together a great team and won it all, but losing all of these key guys really doesn't make a whole lotta sense. You made some great points about Lynch, but there's no reason they shouldn't try everything to keep him. Running backs are dime a dozen, but good running backs aren't.

After reading some of the very recent stories, it seems the Seahawks agree with me. Carroll'a come out publicly and stated these rumors aren't true.

So while people wouldn't be shocked if Lynch left, it's definitely not a foregone conclusion as some seem to think.

Just stating my opinion that Seattle's top brass, if true, would be losing guys that are hard to replace, especially Lynch.

Well I disagree. Yeah, they put together a great team and won it all, but losing all of these key guys really doesn't make a whole lotta sense. You made some great points about Lynch, but there's no reason they shouldn't try everything to keep him. Running backs are dime a dozen, but good running backs aren't.

After reading some of the very recent stories, it seems the Seahawks agree with me. Carroll'a come out publicly and stated these rumors aren't true.

So while people wouldn't be shocked if Lynch left, it's definitely not a foregone conclusion as some seem to think.

Just stating my opinion that Seattle's top brass, if true, would be losing guys that are hard to replace, especially Lynch.

Every team loses good players to free agency. Especially after you win a Super Bowl. That's when the real work begins.

And of all the losses, an aging RB who's set to make nearly $9m next year wouldn't be that big of a loss. Lynch is a monster, but eventually he needs to be replaced, and he plays a low priority position. If they get rid of Lynch after this season, it's not the end of the world. 

Also, the Seahawks staff wouldn't be coming out right now and saying anything about their intentions with Lynch, whether they're considering releasing him or not.

Every team loses good players to free agency. Especially after you win a Super Bowl. That's when the real work begins.

And of all the losses, an aging RB who's set to make nearly $9m next year wouldn't be that big of a loss. Lynch is a monster, but eventually he needs to be replaced, and he plays a low priority position. If they get rid of Lynch after this season, it's not the end of the world. 

Also, the Seahawks staff wouldn't be coming out right now and saying anything about their intentions with Lynch, whether they're considering releasing him or not.

The thing that would worry me is negative press coming out about several of the ex Seahawks and what it means

There are 3 possibilities

1. The Seahawks had several players with character concerns with no checks in place

2. The Seahawks had one bad apple who spoiled the whole barrel

Or

3. It is a PR move

Once Wilson is resigned the Seahawks Brass will need to draft very carefully and sign/resign players to team friendly contracts to remain competitive.

They have plenty of money next year for Wilson and some upgrades. I'd be more concerned about how much cap space Andrew Luck absorbs in Indianapolis. His salary may prevent any money left over for any free agent upgrades anywhere. The Colts might be forced to let quality players go elsewhere. Fleener, Hilton, Allen and a few key players on defense will be looking for some good money this off season. Looks like trouble for the Colts.

The draft isn't the financial dilemma it was prior to the rookie salary scale.

They have plenty of money next year for Wilson and some upgrades. I'd be more concerned about how much cap space Andrew Luck absorbs in Indianapolis. His salary may prevent any money left over for any free agent upgrades anywhere. The Colts might be forced to let quality players go elsewhere. Fleener, Hilton, Allen and a few key players on defense will be looking for some good money this off season. Looks like trouble for the Colts.

The draft isn't the financial dilemma it was prior to the rookie salary scale.

I'm not sure where you're looking, but the truth is the exact opposite.    The Colts are set-up beautifully for the future.

Grigson has been pretty public about keeping the cap in check for re-signing the '12 class and other needed players.

Plus, the salary cap is about to go up,   way up.

So,  signing Luck will not be a problem at all.    Neither will signing guys like Fleener, Allen, Hilton or anyone else they want to re-sign, or sign as a FA.     The Colts are in great shape.

Nor would I understand why you think the Colts are in trouble and the Seahawks are in great shape.    In stories I read,  Wilson and Luck are both projected to get in excess of $20 Mill per year.    So, if Luck gets his,  then Wilson will surely get his mega-deal.

Plus, the Seahawks have at least two players making in excess of $10 Mill per year already,  Sherman and Thomas.    With Wilson still to come.

Know how many 8-figure players the Colts have?    Zero.    Not now, and only Luck looks like that in the future.   Maybe Hilton.

So,  I think both teams are doing fine salary cap wise......    there is no worry in Indianapolis.....    at least,  not at this point.

I'm not sure where you're looking, but the truth is the exact opposite.    The Colts are set-up beautifully for the future.

Grigson has been pretty public about keeping the cap in check for re-signing the '12 class and other needed players.

So,  signing Luck will not be a problem at all.    Neither will signing guys like Fleener, Allen, Hilton or anyone else they want to re-sign, or sign as a FA.     The Colts are in great shape.

Nor would I understand why you think the Colts are in trouble and the Seahawks are in great shape.    In stories I read,  Wilson and Luck are both projected to get in excess of $20 Mill per year.    So, if Luck gets his,  then Wilson will surely get his mega-deal.

Plus, the Seahawks have at least two players making in excess of $10 Mill per year already,  Sherman and Thomas.    With Wilson still to come.

Know how many 8-figure players the Colts have?    Zero.    Not now, and only Luck looks like that in the future.   Maybe Hilton.

So,  I think both teams are doing fine salary cap wise......    there is no worry in Indianapolis.....    at least,  not at this point.

Nicely put

According to spotrac.com, they project Luck to get a 5 year 96 million dollar contract and Wilson a 6 year 129 million dollar contract. Part of the huge contract for Wilson, according to their analysis, is due to his ability to run. Just thought that was interesting.

They also mention the Colts are in a good position when it comes to the salary cap.

According to spotrac.com, they project Luck to get a 5 year 96 million dollar contract and Wilson a 6 year 129 million dollar contract. Part of the huge contract for Wilson, according to their analysis, is due to his ability to run. Just thought that was interesting.

They also mention the Colts are in a good position when it comes to the salary cap.

Spotrac does contract projections?     Really?     I had no idea.    Appreciate you sharing this.

So,  they're projecting Luck to get $19.2 and Wilson to get $21.5?    Interesting.

Last year I thought Luck would take a sub-$20 Mill deal since (A) he won't have a SB win on his resume and (B) he'd want to take a reduced deal to help the team.

Now, I'm not so sure?    I think he'll be under tremendous heat to try and get every last nickle.   He's the number 1 overall pick from 2012, he's had a great career up to now, and he's viewed as the next great QB in the NFL.    He'll be under great pressure to get the most to help everyone else who comes after him, which is pretty much everyone.

So,  it'll be interesting to watch.    Either way,  we can deal with his contract and still have plenty to deal with everyone else.....

The thing that would worry me is negative press coming out about several of the ex Seahawks and what it means

There are 3 possibilities

1. The Seahawks had several players with character concerns with no checks in place

2. The Seahawks had one bad apple who spoiled the whole barrel

Or

3. It is a PR move

I don't have any time or desire to "worry" about the Seahawks. But I do think the reports of their demise are greatly exaggerated. They'll be fine, provided they draft well (and their drafts haven't been all that exciting, to be honest).

I'm not sure where you're looking, but the truth is the exact opposite. The Colts are set-up beautifully for the future.

So, signing Luck will not be a problem at all. Neither will signing guys like Fleener, Allen, Hilton or anyone else they want to re-sign, or sign as a FA. The Colts are in great shape.

Yep, they are in great shape until Luck re-signs and the others demand their slice of the pie.

I can't believe that some here think Luck will sign for a bargain price to "take one for the team".

I don't think any reasonable poster here thinks that and I don't see much of that being expressed in this topic. The team has been planning for Luck's contract from the day they drafted him, and IMO have done a fair job with the FA contracts to leave enough room. In some ways the Colts had an advantage knowing from day 1 they more thank likely would have to sign Luck to such a deal.... although Wilson rose very quickly in his first season I don't think they initially planned on having to sign him to the sort of money they're going to have to. 

I don't get why your so certain, you don't think they will get similar contracts? 

Luck's numbers will command a bigger salary than Wilson but I still think they are in the same ball park. Also, you never know if one guy or the other may leave some money to help the team to stay competitive.

Luck's numbers will command a bigger salary than Wilson but I still think they are in the same ball park. Also, you never know if one guy or the other may leave some money to help the team to stay competitive.

The percentage of cap space for Wilson will go from Middle Tier to Top Tier

If Seattle is not careful they could become the Manning Colts or the Brady Patriots

Although both teams had or have had great success when the star went down the organizations suffered and in the Colts case created a complete overhaul

Yep, they are in great shape until Luck re-signs and the others demand their slice of the pie.

And the Seahawks?

When Wilson gets his and everyone else demands their slice of the pie?

It cuts both ways........

Either way,  it's part of the price for having a successful talented and winning team.

And the Seahawks?

When Wilson gets his and everyone else demands their slice of the pie?

It cuts both ways........

Either way,  it's part of the price for having a successful talented and winning team.

Most everyone in Seattle already got their big pay day.

Except for the biggest piece of the puzzle. He wears #3...

Also, Cliff Avril, James Carpenter, KJ Wright, Byron Maxwell, Malcolm Smith, etc., are free agents in 2015. 

Plus two very good defenders in Wagner and Irvin the following year.

Plus two very good defenders in Wagner and Irvin the following year.

Yup. They have a fifth year option on Irvin, if they choose to use it, who is in the same draft class as Wilson. They might both see drastic cap increases in the same year. 

They have some significant contributors who are either going to get paid or going to leave. I don't think they have young depth to replace those guys right now; maybe they do, but I don't like their drafts, and they blew a few picks on Harvin. So they have some work to do this offseason. 

They might also lose Darrell Bevell and Dan Quinn over the next two seasons, both of whom have interviewed for head coaching gigs recently. This is what happens to good teams. I think they still have smart guys running the show, but like I said earlier, this is where the real work begins. This is why it's so hard to contend over a long stretch of time. 

Yup. They have a fifth year option on Irvin, if they choose to use it, who is in the same draft class as Wilson. They might both see drastic cap increases in the same year. 

They have some significant contributors who are either going to get paid or going to leave. I don't think they have young depth to replace those guys right now; maybe they do, but I don't like their drafts, and they blew a few picks on Harvin. So they have some work to do this offseason. 

They might also lose Darrell Bevell and Dan Quinn over the next two seasons, both of whom have interviewed for head coaching gigs recently. This is what happens to good teams. I think they still have smart guys running the show, but like I said earlier, this is where the real work begins. This is why it's so hard to contend over a long stretch of time. 

The # for a DE ( pick later than 1.10) for this year was 6.9 mill. Doesn't look like it would be anything more than just locking him up and seeing where to go from there. 

The # for a DE ( pick later than 1.10) for this year was 6.9 mill. Doesn't look like it would be anything more than just locking him up and seeing where to go from there. 

He's more of a linebacker than a DE now. Not much of a difference in the number, I don't think. Ryan Kerrigan's fifth year option is just over $7m.