Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Someone Explain The Bradshaw Fumble To Me?

Dark Superman

Through my eyes it clearly looked like his forearm had hit the ground before the ball popped out and even if it was a fumble, it looked like Bradshaw recovered the ball as well.

So how is that enough evidence to turn the ball over to the Bengals? Am I missing something here? I was mind boggled when the officials gave the ball to the Bengals.

The original call on the field was a fumble recovered by the Bengals.  There was not a good enough camera angle for them to overturn that call.

When a play like this happens, refs are asked to let the aftermath play itself out before calling the play dead.  This is to avoid calling the play dead early.  They did that on the play in question, and there was not enough evidence to overturn the ruling on the field.

Through my eyes it clearly looked like his forearm had hit the ground before the ball popped out and even if it was a fumble, it looked like Bradshaw recovered the ball as well.

So how is that enough evidence to turn the ball over to the Bengals? Am I missing something here? I was mind boggled when the officials gave the ball to the Bengals.

I thought the replay showed just enough to get an overturn. Very close and IMO could have gone either way.

Refs haven't seen obvious, convincing evidence to overturn thee ruling on the field. That's what have happened. 

Based on slow-mo review I thought his elbow was down, but I couldn't decide when the ball popped out his hands, I felt he had the ball and it popped when Bradshaw hit the turf, but it is just me. It was a close call what could have gone either way.

I'm not what they showed on TV, but in the stadium it was very unclear if his forearm was down...

Until the last shot we got. RIGHT before the official came out from under the hood we got an angle that CLEARLY showed his forearm down. Wasn't even close, really.

Curious to see if the officials got that look...

This video review working.  If clear evidence is seen, overturning of the call will come.  If it is a "close call that could have gone either way", then the on the field ruling must stand.  That's why it is important for all the ref/umpires huddle to confirm an on field call from all judges eyes and angles on field before making the final on field ruling.  Video replay can get a wrong call right, it cant' get the call that's not conclusive with replay video right, or a conclusive angle that is never shown to replay officials (that's happened before !)

I thought it was pretty clear that his forearm was down, but I'm obviously biased. Right now, turnovers are our biggest flaw. It's surprising, since we have been pretty disciplined in that department under Pagano.

Only angle I have is backside at this time.  Two defenders on Bradshaw and one is only concerned with stripping the ball out...

AB_Rt_Hand2_zps26271d33.png

Ball is clearly in Right hand, because left one is empty..   LOL

AB_Rt_Hand3_zps937ea15f.png

I don't see the ball, and it appears the Bengal defends left knee is on Bradshaw's left hand! The Defender is still trying to strip it!  Bradshaw doesn't have far to be all the way down. But is t seems arm was.  What I don't know is if from the opposite angle, is the ball on the way out.

AB_Rt_Hand5_zpsfcd11cd9.pngI

It's clear the ball was out almost the same time as arm was down, because how far away the ball is out with the little extra distance Bradshaw fell to the ground.  I there is another angle, it might show ball coming out, but not when that forearm touches.  Only and angle that shows both at same time could overturn a fumble call.

when you get stopped by two defenders, one is going to concentrate on nothing but stripping the ball.  So it's not like Bradshaw demonstrated a lack of holding on to the rock here...

Only angle I have is backside at this time.  Two defenders on Bradshaw and one is only concerned with stripping the ball out...

AB_Rt_Hand2_zps26271d33.png

Ball is clearly in Right hand, because left one is empty..   LOL

AB_Rt_Hand3_zps937ea15f.png

I don't see the ball, and it appears the Bengal defends left knee is on Bradshaw's left hand! The Defender is still trying to strip it!  Bradshaw doesn't have far to be all the way down. But is t seems arm was.  What I don't know is if from the opposite angle, is the ball on the way out.

AB_Rt_Hand5_zpsfcd11cd9.pngI

It's clear the ball was out almost the same time as arm was down, because how far away the ball is out with the little extra distance Bradshaw fell to the ground.  I there is another angle, it might show ball coming out, but not when that forearm touches.  Only and angle that shows both at same time could overturn a fumble call.

when you get stopped by two defenders, one is going to concentrate on nothing but stripping the ball.  So it's not like Bradshaw demonstrated a lack of holding on to the rock here...

Everyone remember, they're allowed to parse angles together to arrive at a conclusion. The ref can view this angle and see when his elbow was down, and then look at the reverse angle to see if the ball is out. 

This one, probably too close and the right call was made. Hold on to the ball and the refs don't get involved. 

If you are referring to Trents fumble this last game it was not a fumble by him. It was a bad handoff by Luck and Luck was charged with the turnover.

Wasn't sure. Was at the game and could t tell on replay. Look liked it either bounced off his pads or bad hand off.