Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonotthan Harrison (Mega Merge)

MTC

Grigson was interviewed by Dan Dakich today and was asked about the center position.

Going to paraphrase what he said:

On Khaled Holmes - Says the ankle injury was unfortunate. Grigson said he is starting to work at guard now. He also stated Holmes played nine snaps for us and that's going to be it for the 2014 season (pretty harsh. I would bet he will be inactive for the rest of the season unless AQ or Harrison is injured)

On AQ Shipley - Grigson credits AQ for how much of a good center he is. Grigson has been a fan ever since scouting him at Penn State. Didn't sound like AQ was going to start at all this season. 

On Jonotthan Harrison - Grigson has said how impressive Harrison has looked in practice. When asked if Harrison was playing well the past two starts, Grigson had nothing but praise for Harrison. He says every rookie has their rough edges to start, but he thinks he will get past that. A lot of leverage. 

So there you have it. Harrison is expected to start at center for the rest of the season and possibly for seasons ahead. Grigson credits all three of them for saying how good football players they are and could possibly be the best we ever had depth wise. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused. Did he say Holmes is done for the year or he's done at C?

No point in keeping him inactive all year, they could just IR him.

He said "that's his body of work for 2014." I think the point was that Harrison is going to be the guy, and he said Holmes is working at guard. He didn't say he's done, at either position.

Going to paraphrase what he said:

On Khaled Holmes - Says the ankle injury was unfortunate. Grigson said he is starting to work at guard now. He also stated Holmes played nine snaps for us and that's going to be it for the 2014 season (pretty harsh. I would bet he will be inactive for the rest of the season unless AQ or Harrison is injured)

Could you elaborate here? Is he saying Holmes is done for the year and why would he say that?

He said "that's his body of work for 2014." I think the point was that Harrison is going to be the guy, and he said Holmes is working at guard. He didn't say he's done, at either position.

Just listened to it. The OP paraphrased it as " Holmes played nine snaps for us and that's going to be it for the 2014 season". That's not what Grigs said.

He also never said anything about Holmes being inactive the rest of the year. He kept saying "We have three good centers". And they can all play guard.

Nice interview, he sounds like an honest guy, not just the usual cliche ridden coach speak.

Is that a regular weekly interview? Thanks for posting the link.

The good thing is that Harrison is solid and will be interesting to watch.  Holmes however is still a mystery.  Starting center, plays nine snaps, gets hurt, gets well and now (apparently) has fallen to third string C.  I just don't see how someone can fall that fast.  I still think something is going on that they don't want to dwell on.  

The good thing is that Harrison is solid and will be interesting to watch. Holmes however is still a mystery. Starting center, plays nine snaps, gets hurt, gets well and now (apparently) has fallen to third string C. I just don't see how someone can fall that fast. I still think something is going on that they don't want to dwell on.

If Harrison could stop trying to snap the ball over Andrew's head when he's in the shotgun we'll be okay

2 straight weeks we've had a bad snap. Can't have that happening against the top teams when we play

If Harrison could stop trying to snap the ball over Andrew's head when he's in the shotgun we'll be okay

2 straight weeks we've had a bad snap. Can't have that happening against the top teams when we play

I should say when I call him solid, it's relative to his level of experience and expectations.  In terms of comparison to other centers, or the level of play he needs to reach, no doubt improvement needs to continue....especially those snaps!  One thing I do like about him though is that he is rarely off balance and is very strong.

I think Harrison just plain beat him out. He's one strong dude. He needs to improve his technique but he's pretty darn good for a UDFA.

Holmes is apparently healthy and working out mainly at G. It's great to have depth.

If he legit beat him out that is awesome. From what I've seen I really like him. Just disappointed in Holmes. Hope it doesn't come down to another wasted pick.

If he legit beat him out that is awesome. From what I've seen I really like him. Just disappointed in Holmes. Hope it doesn't come down to another wasted pick.

Holmes fills the Gatorade bottles up, not a wasted pick at all when you're keeping our player's who actually touch the field hydrated

:thmup:

That was my opinion. Holmes wasn't 100% and the spot was open. We know Harrison beat out Ship.

Like Grigs said, it's great to have depth. We know there will be injuries, it looks like we're prepared.

Right now, he's depth at guard. Not what everyone had in mind for him, but that's nothing to sneeze at for a 4th rounder. I'd like to see him actually play, but whatever. Thing is, we all just want better line play. So far this year, the line play has been better than last year, but we still have a long way to go before anyone is comfortable. I think we definitely have better players, and hopefully we get past these injuries and the rotation gets settled.

Im glad the staff has finally committed to somebody!  I do think Harrison will be our best bet in the long run, but don't think Holmes wont have an opportunity in the future.  Our O Line seems to get injured a lot.  It's very nice to see we have serviceable backups all along the interior.  I wasn't ever that high on Holmes anyway.  I thought the C position needed addressed in the off season.  We're kind of lucky Harrison is turning out to be this good.  He still needs to work on some things, but things will settle down after he gets more snaps.