Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boom Herron

lollygagger8

I've been wondering why we don't utilize Boom in our running game.  I think one of the reasons Brown was successful last year is that the most successful running attacks feature one power guy and one speed guy.  In my ideal world, I'd keep Bradshaw at his current number of carries, take about 5 carries away from Richardson and give them to Boom.  

I thought our 2nd string D was in, not the Titans.

well when the second string on any team comes in, doesnt really make much sense keeping your starters in from a health perspective. no point risking injuries to your starters in a blowout 

The only reason why i like Richardson is his pass blocking and ability to pick up blitzes is outstanding. I saw him chip Casey and Klug a lot and take them out of a couple plays.

Other than that Boom and Bradshaw are better runners.

TRich really has done some VG pass blocking. Poor guy runs in the sand his 1st 2-3 steps. 

Our line isn`t knocking the D of the line, they are just maintaining contact pretty good so a faster back would be a big plus.

Herron finds small holes and keeps his pad level low, which makes him hard to find and tackle. Just the opposite of Trent.

I agree with that 100% Plus, he's got a low center of gravity which helps him in traffic & stability wise to keep his balance. He's so easy to lose track of for a defensive lineman & his legs are always churning. Herron definitely needs more carries earlier in the 1st half. 

The only reason why i like Richardson is his pass blocking and ability to pick up blitzes is outstanding. I saw him chip Casey and Klug a lot and take them out of a couple plays.

Other than that Boom and Bradshaw are better runners.

True, TR is good with blitz pickup & giving Luck a few more seconds to plant his feet & throw the ball with accuracy & velocity on it. 

I don't know about your 2nd statement though SZ. Bradshaw yes, he is a fantastic runner no question. TR only looks solid in open space, but I haven't seen enough of Herron early in games to really know how well he runs between tackles or how fast he hits an open crease yet. That's why I need to see him sooner in games before a defense gets tired.

I already know that Herron has better ball security than TR fumble issue wise & because of that Herron needs to be inserted at least by the start of the 2nd QTR just to see how many yards he can get on the ground. 

True, TR is good with blitz pickup & giving Luck a few more seconds to plant his feet & throw the ball with accuracy & velocity on it.

I don't know about your 2nd statement though SZ. Bradshaw yes, he is a fantastic runner no question. TR only looks solid in open space, but I haven't seen enough of Herron early in games to really know how well he runs between tackles or how fast he hits an open crease yet. That's why I need to see him sooner in games before a defense gets tired.

I already know that Herron has better ball security than TR fumble issue wise & because of that Herron needs to be inserted at least by the start of the 2nd QTR just to see how many yards he can get on the ground.

You're right Herron isn't totally proven. I did like Herron's cuts and vision at the end of the game vs TRichs. Richardson still looks like he over analysis the play though which is my biggest knock on him. I don't think TRich is slow like other people say, he just thinks too much when he should be reacting naturally to the play.

Trich gets like 5 or 6 ypc going to the outside. He is usually called for inside runs so he goes where he is told. And before it starts, Bradshaw did no better vs. The Titans running. Obv run blocking sucked. And Boom had like 3 ypc.

The Titans have always been stellar at stuffing the run especially against the Colts historically speaking. I don't really blame our line for that since Tennessee always forces us to win games through the air. 

You are right though Derakynn. TR loves to bounce a lot of his runs outside because he cannot run between the tackles. You could give him the Cowboys offense line right now & he'd still find a way to get just over 2 yards a carry or fumble the ball. I swear he has no peripheral vision at all, which discourages me.

I like TR's work ethic, but in the post season teams are not gonna let you bounce outside & run for 25 yards. You gotta gain ground running inside. 

I know Pep Hamilton likes to run early to set up the passing game, but since Indy's strength lies in our WR's & TE's; we need to flip that & throw early to set up the run. Think the 1999 St. Louis Rams under Kurt Warner & get more touches for WR Nicks. He needs the ball more to force DCs to not just double team Reggie Wayne. JMO.

I think we are doing just what we need to do !! Let Trich wear the D down and Bradshaw comes in and beats the hell out of them, However, I wouldn't mind seeing Boom get a few more carries, I have liked what I have seen from him !!

That formula sounds wonderful in Sept. & October, but won't work in late Nov. & early December. We have to tinker with other RB formula right now so that once the Playoffs roll around we aren't so predictable & not only that, what happens if TR god forbid gets hurt. What's our contingency plan then? 

I will admit that I did like a couple of gutsy throws on 1st down yesterday. So, I will give Pep some credit for being aggressive & adapting his play calling selections on Sunday. 

Hey don't forget.....Boom looked great running the ball at the end of the game. 

It's twice as impressive because the defense even knew we were running it. 

Good change of pace back. Keep up the good work Boom! 

I was thinking the same thing! End of the game, trying to run out the clock and they knew we were running the ball and he still had a couple good runs.   

Meh Ill wait till the season is up, Personally I like Herrons cuts more then Trent and Herron shows much less hesitation from the time the ball is snapped to the time he gets the hand off, Don't know if Herron can pass block but he can catch but obviously Trent can to

I'd love to see RB Zurlon Tipton in action, but it's too dangerous to put a guy on our practice squad in a critical game situation. I enjoy watching him run though. Mr. Tipton has some nice speed now. Hopefully, he will make game day contributions next year. 

If I remember correctly, krunk started a thread on him a few weeks ago & I really respect krunk's football I.Q. 

Meh Ill wait till the season is up, Personally I like Herrons cuts more then Trent and Herron shows much less hesitation from the time the ball is snapped to the time he gets the hand off, Don't know if Herron can pass block but he can catch but obviously Trent can to

Yep, I know Trent can pass block well. Herron I have no idea. Well said Gavin. Well said. The question is then: What's more important then? Yards per carry or Keeping Luck upright & protected? 

I agree 100% We gotta shield Luck from any unnecessary hits which is why we can't lose Richardson right now. 

Slightly off topic, but did RB Knowshon Moreno only sign a 1 year deal in Miami because that man is darn good at blitz pickup & he has a blood hound nose for the end zone. He's a complete back now. If we could keep Bradshaw & sign Mareno INDY would be in a great situation next season. Just brainstorming outloud. 

Yep, I know Trent can pass block well. Herron I have no idea. Well said Gavin. Well said. The question is then: What's more important then? Yards per carry or Keeping Luck upright & protected? 

I agree 100% We gotta shield Luck from any unnecessary hits which is why we can't lose Richardson right now. 

Slightly off topic, but did RB Knowshon Moreno only sign a 1 year deal in Miami because that man is darn good at blitz pickup & he has a blood hound nose for the end zone. He's a complete back now. If we could keep Bradshaw & sign Mareno INDY would be in a great situation next season. Just brainstorming outloud. 

Moreno I'd love to have, He is on a 1 year deal

Question. Was Trent more explosive or did he have a faster first step in college? If so I wonder if he's outting in to much size. Maybe he should cut 10 pounds or so to get more explosive off the jump. Unless we're asking his to be a lumbering road grader. Which he is. I saw him get met with the ball numerous times and still squeeze out 2-3 yards. I do like his running after the catch also.

One day, there may be a realization that he can average a much higher YPC than TRich, until a chance is given, we wait.

Like to see him get a couple of carries per game early on, but remember, he was playing against their 2nd and 3rd string ..... he will be a nice change of pace, especially later in the season, fresh legs, but he is not there yet.