Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't look now

Valpo2004

As I said in the Davis thread, sustain it for a season and I'll happily crown him in that tier. 

I'm very happy at the way he's picked it up in the last 2 games regardless of who we played. I can't overstate how much I think Luck's performance against the Jags seems to have slipped under the radar in some quarters. 

We'll need him to be elite because our defense is ... mediocre at best. 

With our offense, we only need the defense to be average.  But that may be a step above where they are now.

The one thing I will say is I can't remember having a CB playing at the level of Davis while Peyton was here since maybe Nick Harper? Then again I've not followed the Colts as long as some and even in the early days I wouldn't know what rated good corner play (probably still don't :P)

Only thing that bothers me about Luck is that he's back to throwing some bad picks again.

Granted there was a bad no call on the play but he should have never thrown the ball against the Eagles.

And his lone interception yesterday was also particularly bad.  Don't know what he saw in that throw but I saw 3 Titans and one Colt.  

There are some on the NFL and ESPN channels who think he is already elite. With what he has already done in his very short career I have to agree.

I will say he has accomplished alot in his career thus far, but can we really say that he is Elite ? Don't get me wrong i love Andrew Luck, im absolutely glad he's apart of this organization but When you say Elite i think of guys like Manning, Brady, Brees to name a few. Guys that have been in the League for quite some time. Luck still has some very few but some flaw to his game he still has alot to learn i don't think we can give him Elite just yet. He will be one day IMO just not yet. 

The one thing I will say is I can't remember having a CB playing at the level of Davis while Peyton was here since maybe Nick Harper? Then again I've not followed the Colts as long as some and even in the early days I wouldn't know what rated good corner play (probably still don't :P)

well, back then we had lousy cb play but had great pass rushers (mathis & freeney).. this year it's reversed, great cb play and no pass rushers.. and the results are almost the same..

Only thing that bothers me about Luck is that he's back to throwing some bad picks again.

Granted there was a bad no call on the play but he should have never thrown the ball against the Eagles.

And his lone interception yesterday was also particularly bad. Don't know what he saw in that throw but I saw 3 Titans and one Colt.

That ones questionable due to the after exchange between Luck & Nicks

But still Andrew still does force passes or miss open WR's.

The timing with Nicks will get better as the season goes on as long as Andrew looks his way. Gotta continue to spread the ball around. Nothing wrong with looking at other players besides Reggie & Hilton

I will say he has accomplished alot in his career thus far, but can we really say that he is Elite ? Don't get me wrong i love Andrew Luck, im absolutely glad he's apart of this organization but When you say Elite i think of guys like Manning, Brady, Brees to name a few. Guys that have been in the League for quite some time. Luck still has some very few but some flaw to his game he still has alot to learn i don't think we can give him Elite just yet. He will be one day IMO just not yet. 

I still think he's under those guys, but at this point he might be #5 and it might be close.  He's leading all those guys in yards and TD's.  

Brady you might expect that because he's got no real scary weapons outside of Gronk.  But Manning and Brees are not lacking for weapons.  

Now to be fair part of it might be matchups.  

But think of it this way.  The last 2 years Andrew had 23 TD passes.  He's already more then halfway to that mark and it's only a quarter of the way through the season.

That ones questionable due to the after exchange between Luck & Nicks

But still Andrew still does force passes or miss open WR's.

The timing with Nicks will get better as the season goes on as long as Andrew looks his way. Gotta continue to spread the ball around. Nothing wrong with looking at other players besides Reggie & Hilton

Still not sure though.  There was a lot of Titans in the area. Even if the guy doesn't come up and intercept it, one of them is going to level Nicks as soon as the ball gets to him.

I still think he should have passed it up, looked elsewhere or considered running.  

I wouldn't mind seeing the all 22 on it and seeing a little better what he was reading but I distinctly remember the screen panning over to where he threw it and seeing a total of 3 titans and Nicks.  

And his lone interception yesterday was also particularly bad.  Don't know what he saw in that throw but I saw 3 Titans and one Colt.  

There are QBs who throw picks. Even the great ones throw picks once in a while. It's part of the game. It could be a bad throw? It could be a bad route ran by a receiver. It could be a great play by the defense. When a QB throws a lot the odds go up a pick will be thrown. No QB is perfect because it is a team game.

Still not sure though. There was a lot of Titans in the area. Even if the guy doesn't come up and intercept it, one of them is going to level Nicks as soon as the ball gets to him.

I still think he should have passed it up, looked elsewhere or considered running.

Yeah he should've, but that's a problem Andrew seems to have. Locks in on WR's and makes himself believe he can get the ball in there no matter the coverage.

Year 3 of his career, hopefully that starts to die down as the season goes on and he matures

So Luck threw a pick? Some act like it so bad? Well all QBs throw picks. Just overlook all the good things and dwell on one negative play. If that's all you can do is concentrate on all the negative you fail to see the big picture. This whole thread has turned into comments about one play. Well I think there were a lot of other plays that mattered more. Did any one notice the finale score?

Yeah he should've, but that's a problem Andrew seems to have. Locks in on WR's and makes himself believe he can get the ball in there no matter the coverage.

Year 3 of his career, hopefully that starts to die down as the season goes on and he matures

Outside of the playoffs see seemed to have for the most part stopped doing that in year 2.  He had one of the lowest interception rates in the league.  It's a little bothersome that it's back.  

So Luck threw a pick? Some act like it so bad? Well all QBs throw picks. Just overlook all the good things and dwell on one negative play. If that's all you can do is concentrate on all the negative you fail to see the big picture. This whole thread has turned into comments about one play. Well I think there were a lot of other plays that mattered more. Did any one notice the finale score?

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm the one that started this thread, I think he's doing great.  I think he's going to prove this year that he's a top 5 quarterback.  Wilson can be super efficient with his running game and epic defense but throwing for under 3000 yards he's not going to impress that many people.  Luck is likely going to be somewhere in the range of 40 TD's and 5000 yards.

I just wanted to point out that the one thing that worries me is that he's thrown some really bad picks, which is something he didn't do much of last year.

Like I mentioned before he's already more then halfway to his previous year's TD pass total.  But he's also close to halfway to his previous year's interception total.  

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm the one that started this thread, I think he's doing great.  I think he's going to prove this year that he's a top 5 quarterback.  Wilson can be super efficient with his running game and epic defense but throwing for under 3000 yards he's not going to impress that many people.  Luck is likely going to be somewhere in the range of 40 TD's and 5000 yards.

I just wanted to point out that the one thing that worries me is that he's thrown some really bad picks, which is something he didn't do much of last year.

Like I mentioned before he's already more then halfway to his previous year's TD pass total.  But he's also close to halfway to his previous year's interception total.  

That is going to happen when you throw the ball up in the air as much as Andrew does. He did better when he realized the defense was stacking the box and he started going over the top. I think all QBs and pretty much all players make bone head plays every now and then. It must be the shape of the football? :dunno:

If you rewatch it you can tell Andrew tried to stop the ball while throwing. He knew it was bad but the ball just kinda went.

And his lone interception yesterday was also particularly bad. Don't know what he saw in that throw but I saw 3 Titans and one Colt.

You can tell as he was throwing he saw it was bad and was trying to bring it in. That's why it came out all crazy and bobbled and he immediately started running for the tackle. He knew he messed up.

He's so good you don't know he's there unless he makes a tackle.  There are no shut down corners in the NFL, no matter what some people want to believe.  Davis is definitely one of the best. 

I'm going to the Ravens game.  I didn't see the Panthers game, but it sounds like the Ravens found their offense.  Smith doesn't worry me as much as what they'll do with their TE's.  Daniels could have a big game.

You can tell as he was throwing he saw it was bad and was trying to bring it in. That's why it came out all crazy and bobbled and he immediately started running for the tackle. He knew he messed up.

If Andrew wasn't playing QB he could probably play linebacker.  

I've never seen a QB who can tackle as well as Luck.  

He certainly is playing at an elite level this year BUT we just played against 2 teams that don't even know if they have a starting QB on there roster.

With that said........of Lucks 167 passes only 33 have went to Wayne with 38 going to Hilton...Those two combine for 42% of his targets...He is spreading the ball around instead of trying to force it to Reggie while also targeting Richardson/Bradshaw a combined 31 times........and 38 going to our TE's (19 to Fleener, 15 to Allen, 4 Allen)That's definitely spreading the ball around. Nicks has been targeted 18 times.....I just don't think he and Luck are on the same page yet but at the same time I think Nicks loafed it a couple times on routes.

One thing I would like to see Luck more consistently is scramble if no one is open, Nobody appeared open on his int vs the Titans but he had 2 lanes to choose from where he could have had at least a first down (especially between RT and RG)

He certainly is playing at an elite level this year BUT we just played against 2 teams that don't even know if they have a starting QB on there roster.

With that said........of Lucks 167 passes only 33 have went to Wayne with 38 going to Hilton...Those two combine for 42% of his targets...He is spreading the ball around instead of trying to force it to Reggie while also targeting Richardson/Bradshaw a combined 31 times........and 38 going to our TE's (19 to Fleener, 15 to Allen, 4 Allen)That's definitely spreading the ball around. Nicks has been targeted 18 times.....I just don't think he and Luck are on the same page yet but at the same time I think Nicks loafed it a couple times on routes.

One thing I would like to see Luck more consistently is scramble if no one is open, Nobody appeared open on his int vs the Titans but he had 2 lanes to choose from where he could have had at least a first down (especially between RT and RG)

It's quite possible time pressure played into that.  He wanted to get the ball somewhere so that it would go out of bounds and stop the clock rather then let the clock run.

Still a bad decision but, I'm not sure he makes the same throw if he has plenty of time on the clock.

Not to mention the dropped interception in, I think, the 2nd quarter.  Otherwise, he'd have had 2 yesterday.  It happens to every QB, but it's not like it's something to be proud of. 

The inexplicable INTs are usually a case of the receiver and the QB not being on the same page.   The pass is thrown before the receiver makes his cut, and if he cuts to the wrong area of the field the ball is picked.  I think the pick yesterday was a case of Nicks not running the right route.  If Nicks is underneath those defenders it's probably a routine completion instead of an INT that has everybody scratching their heads.  Actually, if you look back I think several of Luck's picks have been like this -- I'd put the opening pick in the NE playoff game in this category.  Brazil's route should have been to the inside the DB but he went outside and it was an easy pick.

That's one good reason to have continuity with receivers.  Over time, as they build chemistry, the receivers and Luck will automatically know what the other is thinking in any situation.

We'll need him to be elite because our defense is ... mediocre at best.

With our offense, we only need the defense to be average. But that may be a step above where they are now.

I agree too many holes on defense especially with Mathis gone. I will say Davis, Toler, Redding, and Butler are playing on a different level on the defense.

I agree too many holes on defense especially with Mathis gone. I will say Davis, Toler, Redding, and Butler are playing on a different level on the defense.

The CBs deserve a B+ (Davis brings that grade up).  The D Line is a solid B.  LBs in coverage and S's are C at best.

The inexplicable INTs are usually a case of the receiver and the QB not being on the same page. The pass is thrown before the receiver makes his cut, and if he cuts to the wrong area of the field the ball is picked. I think the pick yesterday was a case of Nicks not running the right route. If Nicks is underneath those defenders it's probably a routine completion instead of an INT that has everybody scratching their heads. Actually, if you look back I think several of Luck's picks have been like this -- I'd put the opening pick in the NE playoff game in this category. Brazil's route should have been to the inside the DB but he went outside and it was an easy pick.

That's one good reason to have continuity with receivers. Over time, as they build chemistry, the receivers and Luck will automatically know what the other is thinking in any situation.

I really don't think there is a way to justify his pick to Woodyard, all Lucks fault. There were about 3 to 4 Titans there and there was no pressure on Luck. He should have known to go to another receiver or thrown it away.

I really don't think there is a way to justify his pick to Woodyard, all Lucks fault. There were about 3 to 4 Titans there and there was no pressure on Luck. He should have known to go to another receiver or thrown it away.

WHO CARES???? Seriously. He threw for 4 TDS and we're talking about his INT. 

Let's enjoy watching Luck develop into one of the best QBs in the league. He's not at the top, but he's definitely on his way. Focusing on his INT is not enjoying what we have in Luck.