Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton press conference

MrNLM

Arian Foster did it first..."I'm just trying to be the best teammate I can be". He said it like 11 times in one minute

Don't care.

He didn't call another player "Donkey Kong Suh"

Also, RBs can get away with saying more IMO. For a starting QB to do this is just EPIC to me.

Maturity isn't his thang. 

What in that press conference gave you that impression? He made the joke about Suh but players joke all the time in their conferences. He seemed really composed and is obviously getting prepared for the next game. He didn't feel the need to comment about things he obviously finds irrelevant right now. I think he's grown up a lot and if he starts to figure things out mentally then I think he'll become a top five quarterback in the upcoming years.

Maturity isn't his thang. 

I get what ruksak is saying. The reporters there have a job to do & deadlines to meet. They do have a sense of humor & the line was funny twice, but by the 3rd time, no one likes a smart caboose. 

Cam should have said "Look, I know you need something to write about me today, but I've got nothing for you this afternoon sorry ladies & gentlemen. I'll try to make it up to you all next time." 

Not only that Cam Newton hasn't done enough in this league yet playoff appearance wise to carry that joke as far as he did. He's darn good, but far from elite yet. He needs to remember that. 

I understand that Cam is young & I don't expect every QB to be perfect, polished, & media savvy, but I ask you if you're a journalist sitting in that room with a Panthers column to write what exactly are you gonna talk about Donkey Kong & how this young field general doesn't take his media obligations seriously?

No, because your editor is gonna yell at you & say I can't publish this crap. How does it benefit a Carolina fan in any way? Unless your editor green lights an article about Cam's growth on & off the field documenting his weaknesses & areas of improvement. 

What in that press conference gave you that impression? He made the joke about Suh but players joke all the time in their conferences. He seemed really composed and is obviously getting prepared for the next game. He didn't feel the need to comment about things he obviously finds irrelevant right now. I think he's grown up a lot and if he starts to figure things out mentally then I think he'll become a top five quarterback in the upcoming years.

I do not like him

I think he is a man-child. 

I think he's selfish.

I think he's immature.

I think he's volatile. 

....and I think someone with his childish image would be best served to stove cute little remarks about other players.  

I would have asked him, "Cam, given your main focus this week is the Detroit Lions, and being protected from Donkey Kong Suh, and your former Auburn teammate Nick Fairley, can you say that your main focus this week is the Detroit Lions, and being protected from Donkey Kong Suh, and your former Auburn teammate Nick Fairley?"

I do not like him

I think he is a man-child. 

I think he's selfish.

I think he's immature.

I think he's volatile. 

....and I think someone with his childish image would be best served to stove cute little remarks about other players.  

Well said Ruksak. Cam has a ton of growing up to do without question. Definitely not the best way to represent your owner, your HC, your city, your peers, or your fanbase worldwide.

A word of wisdom Cam: Never embarrass your boss or the guy who signs your check. 

I would have asked him, "Cam, given your main focus this week is the Detroit Lions, and being protected from Donkey Kong Suh, and your former Auburn teammate Nick Fairley, can you say that your main focus this week is the Detroit Lions, and being protected from Donkey Kong Suh, and your former Auburn teammate Nick Fairley?"

You are too kind. I would've thrown a barrel at him, provided I could find an old timey wooden barrel. 

You are too kind. I would've thrown a barrel at him, provided I could find an old timey wooden barrel. 

Cam's ribs get fractured again, QB Derek Anderson gets re-inserted as the starter again, Panthers are 2-0 without Newton at the reigns, HC Ron Rivera calls Ruksak to thank him personally for helping his team win once again. LOL!  It's what you call next level victory strategy.  ;)

I know some people at the Cracker Barrel restaurant near my dad's house who can hook you up with an old school barrel who owe me a favor too. All SW1 needs is your address & to make 1 phone call Ruk. I'm just saying...

If Donkey Kong Suh is your #1 priority for you to neutralize Cam, might I suggest that you listen to Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue" on a vinyl turntable backwards in order to get direct subliminal messages from Lucifer as to how to defeat Suh & not get kicked in the fun zone...Or it that the extra ice zone? I forgot. Hmmm...

Kick.jpg

Honestly, I don't get it. Why do that? His Panthers won last week so you would think he would be over joyed to be sitting at 1-0 with a game up on the favored Saints in the division. It's not like the Carolina press was grilling him. Just basic softball questions. And what was up with the hang dog face the whole time like someone just stole his lunch? He really does need to grow up. If I was a fan of his, I would be embarrassed.

Honestly, I don't get it. Why do that? His Panthers won last week so you would think he would be over joyed to be sitting at 1-0 with a game up on the favored Saints in the division. It's not like the Carolina press was grilling him. Just basic softball questions. And what was up with the hang dog face the whole time like someone just stole his lunch? He really does need to grow up. If I was a fan of his, I would be embarrassed.

I feel the same way.  I laughed at the interview, but I'm certainly glad our QB doesn't have that kind of attitude.

ha, not able to watch much NFL network or ESPN, so I don't know if much was made out of his presser, but if a different QB had said something like this, media may have taken that angle and had a hey day with this...

Are you serious? Your joking right? Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. Maybe cam shouldn't have tried to be funny but throwing racism out there is just as unintelligent as him calling suh donkey kong. It was a poor attempt at humor but throwing racism out there just took it somewhere where it didn't need to go

Are you serious? Your joking right? Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. Maybe cam shouldn't have tried to be funny but throwing racism out there is just as unintelligent as him calling suh donkey kong. It was a poor attempt at humor but throwing racism out there just took it somewhere where it didn't need to go

exactly, I am jokingly saying that I could see the PC media jumping on it as racist remark, while I myself do not...

I am not particularly a Cam fan, & I am definitely not a Suh fan, so I found Cam's remarks pretty funny, mainly because he said it like a dozen times...

For the record, I was making a ludicrous joke...which I thought was obvious.

exactly, I am jokingly saying that I could see the PC media jumping on it as racist remark, while I myself do not...

I am not particularly a Cam fan, & I am definitely not a Suh fan, so I found Cam's remarks pretty funny, mainly because he said it like a dozen times...

For the record, I was making a ludicrous joke...which I thought was obvious.

Shewwww. You guys scared me for a sec. Carry on[emoji2]

What are your thoughts on if Drew Brees or Eli would have called him Donkey Kong?