Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning Washed Up

King Colt

To me, that's not how your post came across. It seems like you're saying Manning refused to take a pay cut and forced Irsay's hand, and that's not what happened.

Also, I think Irsay's mind was made up once we had the #1 pick. You don't pass on Luck, and it makes no sense to put him on the bench. 

Not sure how you read that. But that was not my intent. I felt the OP was making it sound like Manning was forced out and that was not true. A deal could have been reached but it would have taken compromise on both sides and that did not happen for a myriad of reasons, one of which would include Manning taking less money.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how you read that. But that was not my intent. I felt the OP was making it sound like Manning was forced out and that was not true. A deal could have been reached but it would have taken compromise on both sides and that did not happen for a myriad of reasons, one of which would include Manning taking less money.

Yeah, I disagree, for the reasons stated above. Manning was forced out, IMO (cut outright, as a matter of fact), because we had the #1 pick and were going to draft the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. I'm not saying the wrong decision was made, but I don't think Irsay was going to keep Manning, even if Manning could have taken a drastic pay cut.

JMO

Can you provide me with a link to the transcripts of Manning and Irsay and what was and wasnt said.

Yeah, I disagree, for the reasons stated above. Manning was forced out, IMO (cut outright, as a matter of fact), because we had the #1 pick and were going to draft the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. I'm not saying the wrong decision was made, but I don't think Irsay was going to keep Manning, even if Manning could have taken a drastic pay cut.

JMO

Yeah, I am fine with that position as well. I don't think it was that black and white and I do think Irsay was mulling the possibility of keeping both at one point but it is clear that Manning was going to get his money and Irsay was not going to pay him what Denver did coming off the surgeries. I guess we will never know as a new deal for Manning was never discussed at least publicly anyways. It is also possible that Manning would have not have wanted to stay in Indy with Luck behind him. 

The PA would not have done a thing especially with him coming off of the neck surgeries. And I am not suggesting they they paid Manning vet minimum but just get the bonus off and rework his deal so the team would not take as big of a hit. That is basically what the Pats did with Brady and the PA did not say boo.

Your missinformed...that isn't what happened in NE and that couldn't be done here. He had a contract....there was no way financially to trade him that made sense, no way to rework it that would have made sense, and no way to keep both him and Luck and surround Peyton with enough support to keep him healthy and successful. The only option was keep him....and trade Luck for a plethera of talent or cut Peyton and wish him well...and rebuild the whole organization around Luck. Thats what we did...it made sense...the ride was going to end regardless in a few years anyways....better to do it a couple years earlier than we would have liked and start around a great qb like Luck then wait too long...and be stuck with someone like a Blaine Gabbert or Brady Quinn down the line. I didn't like some of Irsays comments etc leading up to everything but in the end it was a smart choice for everyone involved. Indy got a talented young QB that was about as a can't miss as you could get and Denver and Peyton got a window of 3-4 years to win a SB. 

I think you are wrong about this but I don't have anything in my hands to prove it.

I think Brady's was done as an extension to the current contract to make it cap friendly. There was no way Irsay would have done any extensions to Peyton's contract at that time to make it cap friendly given his return from neck surgeries and having already paid $23 mil. the previous year, it would not have been good business given the alternative that he could have to build around i.e. Luck. Thus, his mind was made up and the franchise moved on.

Most of the cost savings with the marquee QBs comes from restructuring and extensions than with a pay cut.

The PA would not have done a thing especially with him coming off of the neck surgeries. And I am not suggesting they they paid Manning vet minimum but just get the bonus off and rework his deal so the team would not take as big of a hit. That is basically what the Pats did with Brady and the PA did not say boo.

It's not even close to what the pats did with Brady. That was a contract EXTENSION. Again, that wasn't a possibility in the colts Manning case.

Your missinformed...that isn't what happened in NE and that couldn't be done here. He had a contract....there was no way financially to trade him that made sense, no way to rework it that would have made sense, and no way to keep both him and Luck and surround Peyton with enough support to keep him healthy and successful. The only option was keep him....and trade Luck for a plethera of talent or cut Peyton and wish him well...and rebuild the whole organization around Luck. Thats what we did...it made sense...the ride was going to end regardless in a few years anyways....better to do it a couple years earlier than we would have liked and start around a great qb like Luck then wait too long...and be stuck with someone like a Blaine Gabbert or Brady Quinn down the line. I didn't like some of Irsays comments etc leading up to everything but in the end it was a smart choice for everyone involved. Indy got a talented young QB that was about as a can't miss as you could get and Denver and Peyton got a window of 3-4 years to win a SB.

I think if most people put themselves in Irsay's shoes, they would have gone with Luck, based on the facts at hand at the time. I do agree that Irsay totally bungled the PR of Manning leaving the team. It was a little better than how his dad handled Johnny Unitas's departure, but Peyton deserved better.

I want to start counting the Manning/Denver threads on this forum, cause I swear, if there wasn't a horseshoe in the corner, I'd be convinced this was a Broncos forum.

You all seen what all that stat hogging accomplished last year. The average fan isn't going to remember those games of him shooting up 500 yards on crappy defenses, they are going to remember the one game that actually mattered where he only put 8 points on the board.

8 points in the Super Bowl with the so called greatest offense in NFL history.

All those stats are meaningless if you can't win the Super Bowl. Go ask the Pats fans how they feel about their 2007 season and how it was lost with losing the one game that mattered the most.

I want to start counting the Manning/Denver threads on this forum, cause I swear, if there wasn't a horseshoe in the corner, I'd be convinced this was a Broncos forum.

You all seen what all that stat hogging accomplished last year. The average fan isn't going to remember those games of him shooting up 500 yards on crappy defenses, they are going to remember the one game that actually mattered where he only put 8 points on the board.

All those stats are meaningless if you can't win the Super Bowl. Go ask the Pats fans how they feel about their 2007 season and how it was lost with losing the one game that mattered the most.

I think you need to take a cold shower  ;)

Everything you're saying is irrelevant.

The Broncos didn't lose the Super Bowl because their offense scored too many points in the regular season. Neither did the 2007 Pats.

One this is the NFL general section.

Two, how can a saints fan bag on any team about putting up crazy passing stats? You do realize the broncos played in the superbowl while the saints were watching on tv

Yeah, probably was not going to happen. But it was for sure an ugly departure on both sides. This idea that Peyton was forced out the door is a bit over the top IMO. The Colts made him the highest paid player in the NFL and it was clear that he was not going to take a pay cut to stay.

I agree about Luck. Would never trade him for these last couple of years from Manning even though he has played great.

Was it really that of an ugly departure? How else would it have been any different or better? Both Manning and Irsay held a press conference and said what they had to say. People can speculate or have 100 different opinions on what happened. You can call it ugly as a fan of the Colts and Manning but that is just one of many opinions. Once the smoke cleared most understood why it was done. Irsay was uncertain and Manning himself was uncertain of how he was going to play. Irsay was not going to gamble with the future of the Colts and Manning wanted to give it a try somewhere else. All the bitterness was in the fans eyes and hearts. I was not happy but I accepted it for what it was and moved on. Nothing ever stays the same and all good thing come to an end. How bad will the Bronco fans take it when Manning plays his last game? More than likely just like the Colt fans felt when he left.

The rules and passhappy NFL are to thank for Manning's recent success. With that said, he's still perhaps the greatest quarterback ever. I don't want to get into a huge spat dissecting that paradox but I just can't ignore how much easier it is to play quarterback whether it's Peyton Manning throwing 7 TDs in a night or Nick Foles.

Your missinformed...that isn't what happened in NE and that couldn't be done here. He had a contract....there was no way financially to trade him that made sense, no way to rework it that would have made sense, and no way to keep both him and Luck and surround Peyton with enough support to keep him healthy and successful. The only option was keep him....and trade Luck for a plethera of talent or cut Peyton and wish him well...and rebuild the whole organization around Luck. Thats what we did...it made sense...the ride was going to end regardless in a few years anyways....better to do it a couple years earlier than we would have liked and start around a great qb like Luck then wait too long...and be stuck with someone like a Blaine Gabbert or Brady Quinn down the line. I didn't like some of Irsays comments etc leading up to everything but in the end it was a smart choice for everyone involved. Indy got a talented young QB that was about as a can't miss as you could get and Denver and Peyton got a window of 3-4 years to win a SB. 

I was not saying that Manning would do the same contract extension as Brady. I was using the Brady extension as an example of a top player signing an under market extension and the PA not saying anything. The point being, the Colts could have signed Manning to whatever deal was acceptable to both parties and the PA would not get involved. 

Was it really that of an ugly departure? How else would it have been any different or better? Both Manning and Irsay held a press conference and said what they had to say. People can speculate or have 100 different opinions on what happened. You can call it ugly as a fan of the Colts and Manning but that is just one of many opinions. Once the smoke cleared most understood why it was done. Irsay was uncertain and Manning himself was uncertain of how he was going to play. Irsay was not going to gamble with the future of the Colts and Manning wanted to give it a try somewhere else. All the bitterness was in the fans eyes and hearts. I was not happy but I accepted it for what it was and moved on. Nothing ever stays the same and all good thing come to an end. How bad will the Bronco fans take it when Manning plays his last game? More than likely just like the Colt fans felt when he left.

It did end well. I was talking more about the he said, he said in the media that felt like it played out forever. 

Always with the sunshine. This is the NFL section so who cares if the topics are Broncos related?

Manning did not stat hog or Brady. They are just THAT good when surrounded by top offensive talent. I would not trade 2007 for anything. Having an undefeated season until the last game was an unbelievable ride. Not every season is a failure because you don't hoist the Lombardi.

I was not saying that Manning would do the same contract extension as Brady. I was using the Brady extension as an example of a top player signing an under market extension and the PA not saying anything. The point being, the Colts could have signed Manning to whatever deal was acceptable to both parties and the PA would not get involved. 

Brady signed an "extension" which was under market value....basically took what was left on his current deal turning into guaranteed money and bonuses to extend out the length of his contract at a much lower cap hit. Point being Peyton already had like a 5 yr contract...you can't rework that without extending it out even more after the first year of the contract. He was stuck with his contract and the Colts too. It was either void it and take the huge cap hit or keep him at the same contract. The Colts couldn't afford to void and then re-sign him to a market value or even below market value contract....and they couldn't extend out a contract on a 36 yr old qb that had major neck surgery. It was simply play out his contract and trade the pick, void it and let him go, play out his contract and draft AL. It simply came down to rebuild now with AL or rebuild around a 36 yr old QB with huge medical issues.....the Colts choice the first option....both had big risks...it looks like now that both paid off for both sides. Its a win/win really....we will never know what would happen if Peyton stayed a Colt and we likely had to trade the pick away to be competitive. Given our salary cap situation there was no way to improve the team significantly without letting Peyton go or Luck basically and using picks to rebuild. I think it worked out for both sides and not worth drudging up.

Always with the sunshine. This is the NFL section so who cares if the topics are Broncos related?

Manning did not stat hog or Brady. They are just THAT good when surrounded by top offensive talent. I would not trade 2007 for anything. Having an undefeated season until the last game was an unbelievable ride. Not every season is a failure because you don't hoist the Lombardi.

Probably the best post you've ever made or just about anyone has on here. Football is entertainment...and the value that Peyton and Tom  and Drew have given their fans is greater than any W/L or SB record. I wouldn't trade the Giants 2 SBs and mediocre decade of peaks and valleys for the 1 SB and absolute wonderful football we witnessed here in Indy. Only stupid sports writers paint in absolutes.....SBs aren't the end all be all way to evalute success or failure. It's about the ride...the memories..the moments...and we've had plenty and so did NE....especially 2007. Athletes would be the most depressed people on earth if they lived in the world of the haters on these forums and in the sports media. I loved this post and fully endorse it! It isn't just winning and losing...is how you play the game too...and watching Peyton play is a joy...some love to watch a power running game...some enjoy watching a stout defense like Seattle and some love seeing a guy orchestrate an offense moving pieces and delivering a surgical drive....thats pretty cool! He and Tom and Drew are a joy to watch and we are lucky to witness it....there aren't many Qbs that have done what they have down through history. Growing up watching Marino and Montana...and now Peyton and Tom....I feel fortunate.

Brady signed an "extension" which was under market value....basically took what was left on his current deal turning into guaranteed money and bonuses to extend out the length of his contract at a much lower cap hit. Point being Peyton already had like a 5 yr contract...you can't rework that without extending it out even more after the first year of the contract. He was stuck with his contract and the Colts too. It was either void it and take the huge cap hit or keep him at the same contract. The Colts couldn't afford to void and then re-sign him to a market value or even below market value contract....and they couldn't extend out a contract on a 36 yr old qb that had major neck surgery. It was simply play out his contract and trade the pick, void it and let him go, play out his contract and draft AL. It simply came down to rebuild now with AL or rebuild around a 36 yr old QB with huge medical issues.....the Colts choice the first option....both had big risks...it looks like now that both paid off for both sides. Its a win/win really....we will never know what would happen if Peyton stayed a Colt and we likely had to trade the pick away to be competitive. Given our salary cap situation there was no way to improve the team significantly without letting Peyton go or Luck basically and using picks to rebuild. I think it worked out for both sides and not worth drudging up.

I keep hearing win/win. It's not a win/win. Maybe it is for Luck and Peyton individually , as far as Luck starting right away, and Manning getting back on track. In the short term , it is a total win for Denver, and a loss for Indianapolis. Irsay strengthened an AFC rival, and put them in a good position for four to five years. As I've said, I understand long term why he did it, but a more apt term would be short term loss versus long term gain. You can call this one a stock market type decision. Trust me, I'm not trying to rub anything in, as this gave Elway and Denver life, after having one foot in the grave with Tebow.

Several quotes about Manning and whether or not he would have renegotiated with Indy... I don't know much on that. 

But just to add - from an outside perspective, it's always seemed like the organization was just as interested as the player, if not more so, in perennially making him the highest paid QB in the league. Almost like something the Irsays took pride in, like a shiny new Bentley or a pillowcase full of Percocet. (Sorry, couldn't resist!) They wanted their guy to be the undisputed, most richly-rewarded player at his position. I don't think Manning and his agents ever had to fight too hard to get those huge contracts. 

Credit the Irsays as they realized what he meant to the team and city. He's never struck me as a greedy player though. 

I keep hearing win/win. It's not a win/win. Maybe it is for Luck and Peyton individually , as far as Luck starting right away, and Manning getting back on track. In the short term , it is a total win for Denver, and a loss for Indianapolis. Irsay strengthened an AFC rival, and put them in a good position for four to five years. As I've said, I understand long term why he did it, but a more apt term would be short term loss versus long term gain. You can call this one a stock market type decision. Trust me, I'm not trying to rub anything in, as this gave Elway and Denver life, after having one foot in the grave with Tebow.

I look at it from the individuals stand point. Personally I root for the Colts and they have a good product on the field...so its a win for me. I also root for Peyton the individual and several other players I admire for their professional abilities and he is in a good place to succeed so thats a win too. As for the Colts I think they won here too. Granted in a perfect world for them Peyton would have ended up in the NFC but there was no way to control that. In the end its a win for them too IMO. I don't think they would have been any MORE a contender with Peyton than they are with Luck. With Peyton's contract on the books and the aging team they had it would have been much more difficult to rebuild and put a SB quality team on the field. Granted they haven't done that yet without him but they are getting close. I really think they are a couple OL and a LB away from getting that done. With Peyton it would have been incredibly hard to gut the whole team and rebuild. They could have used a slew of draft picks Luck would have netted them to improve the OL and protect Peyton but overall this team would have been a 10-6 team in the playoffs BECAUSE of Peyton...but not good enough to do anything when we got there. That was the case for a good many of the years early on and later in our runs. Peyton can cover up a lot...but come the playoffs it takes a team effort to win. I think the Colts are in a fine position after rebuilding and will be for some time....knowing Luck is at the helm is the only way letting Peyton go could eventually be positive for the Colts. I think both sides have won...right now the Broncos are winning more but who knows...if they never win a SB its a mute point isn't it?? And that entirely possible...its soo hard to win it all....no matter how great your QB is...we see it every year almost...the best team or team with the best QB doesn't always win. In the end Indy has a chance to follow up an incredible decade of winning....it wouldn't have likely happen if we kept Peyton...so long term and short term its pretty much even.

Several quotes about Manning and whether or not he would have renegotiated with Indy... I don't know much on that. 

But just to add - from an outside perspective, it's always seemed like the organization was just as interested as the player, if not more so, in perennially making him the highest paid QB in the league. Almost like something the Irsays took pride in, like a shiny new Bentley or a pillowcase full of Percocet. (Sorry, couldn't resist!) They wanted their guy to be the undisputed, most richly-rewarded player at his position. I don't think Manning and his agents ever had to fight too hard to get those huge contracts. 

Credit the Irsays as they realized what he meant to the team and city. He's never struck me as a greedy player though. 

I pretty much agree with this. Peyton unlike no other player put fans in the seats. It wasn't even so much that he was the best player in the league and deserved the money (although 4 mvps don't hurt that theory) but that he put fans in the seats...in a city where we reguraly had blackouts on tv before he got here. He put Indy on the map (football) and was rewarded not only for his play on the field but for the value he added to the franchise...and thus he earned those top contracts. Manning did I believe twice sign extensions that saved cap money for the Colts...once I believe when we were trying to re-sign Marvin and then once again to re-sign Reggie. When it came time for his money he certainly didn't take a pay cut but when we needed to re-sign guys he stepped up to the plate. Irsay benefited more than any person from Peyton's time here...and I'm sure he would give him every single penny over again without hesitation. As we look at the league right now and see the contracts being handed out certainly one could even argue Peyton is UNDER PAID.....same goes for Tom certainly....but Peyton never brings up contracts or holds out. I don't think Peyton could have reworked that contract with the conditions around his injury, what he was owed, and the cap hits of restructuring it and the only way being extending it out over more years and his health already uncertain...I don't see it as possible. Had this happened before signing a new deal I actually think both sides would have worked something out....but the timing just didn't work out that way...and we had to part ways....sad...but at least I still get to see him orchastrate an offense like a conductor orchastrating a work of Mozart...its a beauty to behold....right up til he releases the ball and we see it wobble to its intended target....only then we realize he is human...and that makes us marvel even more at what he accomplishes.

I wish the NFL would stop doing this.  But, aside from this game, I wish Peyton the best.

It's a money making machine...and well no-one brings in the dollars like Peyton. Its part of why he gets a bad rep....people don't like him because they think the NFL created him entirely for publicity or he likes the limelight. Actually the exact opposite is more true. I'm sure he would love to not have the Manning Bowl, Brady vs Manning, Manning vs Colts but the NFL has to sell advertising and we all know he is one of the few stars you can sell off of name alone....much less a lop sided rivalry or a former team that cut him. I imagine Peyton is glad this is week 1. Get it over...there are tons of stories in week 1 so having this in the midst of the week 1 energy kinda lets it go under the radar...so really this is the best case scenerio. I've heard MUCH less about this story than last years game or the yearly Brady vs Manning game.

Isnt what the Colts did with Manning the Same thing the Patriots do to all their players?  Wait, no, the Patriots always trade their players when they are just past their peak so they get something out of it.  We got nothing for Manning.  I personally like it that way and will continue to live in my world that it was a difficult but mutual decision on their part as it was the only path that would keep both parties successful.

Irsay is a tad too kind to do that, he wanted Peyton to have a choice in determining where he went to.

His kindness, I have always stood by, is why he paid Peyton and Freeney during their last year as a Colt, without making a fuss about it. It was his way of rewarding them for what they did for the Colts, I felt.

We woulda traded him to SF, out of the division, and they would have 2 SB rings since then.

I remember we buried this thread. I was there. There was a eulogy, people brought digital flowers.....and everything. Even Jskinzz sang, "Dear God". TKnight brought koolaid.

But, someone used dark arts to resurrect this thread about what could/should/might of happened when PM was released. I sure hope this time when the old fella (the thread) goes flatline..........he gets to rest in peace.

It's a money making machine...and well no-one brings in the dollars like Peyton. Its part of why he gets a bad rep....people don't like him because they think the NFL created him entirely for publicity or he likes the limelight. Actually the exact opposite is more true. I'm sure he would love to not have the Manning Bowl, Brady vs Manning, Manning vs Colts but the NFL has to sell advertising and we all know he is one of the few stars you can sell off of name alone....much less a lop sided rivalry or a former team that cut him. I imagine Peyton is glad this is week 1. Get it over...there are tons of stories in week 1 so having this in the midst of the week 1 energy kinda lets it go under the radar...so really this is the best case scenerio. I've heard MUCH less about this story than last years game or the yearly Brady vs Manning game.

I guess

Maybe we won't play the broncos next year......and it won't be week one after they've been in a superbowl and it's SNF for crying out loud

They're just trying to rile up broncos and colts fans alike

tired of it

Whose to say he wouldn't have? He easily would have owned the South division and probably wins 12 to 13 games in the process securing the number one seed or at worst the two seed. He probably still loses to the Hawks but for sure I can see him getting the Colts to the bowl last year. Denver had a horrible defense and he took them.

You're forgetting that the Colts had a very poor team around Luck.    If you add in Peyton's giant contract, that would've meant even less money to surround Peyton with talent.     So,  that team would not have been good for Peyton.   It would not have worked out.

You're forgetting that the Colts had a very poor team around Luck.    If you add in Peyton's giant contract, that would've meant even less money to surround Peyton with talent.     So,  that team would not have been good for Peyton.   It would not have worked out.

Peyton is in a different stratosphere than Luck. He would have done just fine with the team around him.

I remember we buried this thread. I was there. There was a eulogy, people brought digital flowers.....and everything. Even Jskinzz sang, "Dear God". TKnight brought koolaid.

But, someone used dark arts to resurrect this thread about what could/should/might of happened when PM was released. I sure hope this time when the old fella (the thread) goes flatline..........he gets to rest in peace.

Beautiful written, Warhorse....

But, if I may,  one small correction....    TKnight brought Apple Juice,  not Koolaid.      Apple Juice.

Otherwise,  what you wrote was simply poetry.....  :thmup:

I don't think so. Irsay knew it would not have been fair to Peyton or Andrew to have them both at the same time, so even if Peyton took a paycut, Irsay would have still made the decision for the long term which was the right one.

Although Luck is just in his 3rd year, looking how far the team that has exceeded expectations has come along, that was the right long term move. Plus, if we let go of the others and kept Peyton behind that sorry O-line for Luck's first 2 years, Peyton might be out of this league by now, I feel.

I am agree with chad72. It is not good to have them both at the same time. They can do their best alone.

I guess

Maybe we won't play the broncos next year......and it won't be week one after they've been in a superbowl and it's SNF for crying out loud

They're just trying to rile up broncos and colts fans alike

tired of it

I hope we play them again next year...hopefully means we both won our division. That said I could do without the hype....drama. It's a gut wrenching game to watch. I pull Peyton to play well but our team to eak out the win.

Peyton is in a different stratosphere than Luck. He would have done just fine with the team around him.

There is a big drop off from the top 4 qbs Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers but I'm not sure Peyton would be able to carry just any team to the SB. Win the division...probably...but that is why he has so many 1 and dones...you can only cover up so much...once you then go up against the leagues best defenses in the playoffs your going to have to make plays from other positions...special teams, defense, running game...and Peyton just hasn't had a lot of help in those regards. Our teams were never set up to force turnovers...and you need that in the playoffs or you need almost perfect qb play...and thats asking alot. Obviously bend but don't break defense during the season against avg foes and with Peyton thats usually a recipe for success....put that against an elite offense and we can't get off the field...Peyton against an elite defense isn't going to score 30 pts...few will...he likely get you 20 so you got to get points somewhere...a turnover...flip field position...but if your constantly giving up points or at best forcing punts but only after the teams reached mid-field that is a lot to ask your offense to go 80-90 yds every possession. Not much room for error. If you just swapped out Luck and Manning I think the Colts are a SB contender...but we wouldn't be able to do that with salaries etc....to rebuild around Manning would have required us to take on different players and likely we spent most of our money on OL to protect him. I don't know what team we would have...but likely not a defense capable of winning a SB.

Usually when you have an older quarterback , and can pick up an Andrew Luck, normally Irsay would be right 9 out of 10 times. But this was the most unusual of circumstances with Peyton Manning. He is so good he defies age. On the short term it looks like a bad deal, because you could be where Denver was. That being said , and in all honesty , I think I would have done the same thing as Irsay. As with every team , you have to get younger . When you have a can't miss quarterback , you have to play him. Peyton isn't a beaten up Johnny Unitas at 37, or even an older Joe Montana, he still has a lot more left. That is what makes this situation unique.

It's easy to say that now, we didn't know how he was going to heal.