Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Practice Squad Policy Changes [Merge]

TKnight24

This is huge!!!! Finally the NFL has done something right!!!

"@AdamSchefter: By next week, NFL is expected to increase size of practice squads to 10 players from 8."

Which :colts: players who were on the bubble or are impressing but may not make the 53 do you think will get stashed?

This is seriously a big help. WIth 10 spots, it allows the Colts to keep a player at each position group and one of the special team places. 

It really makes a big difference and I'm happy the league did this. Plus, it also adds 64 jobs to the economy!

Kameron Jackson

Obukwelu

Me personally I would lean more towards Johnny Adams and Obukwelu.  I know you don't like Qua Cox all that much, but to me I think it would do him some good to bulk up a little bit and get more comfortable in the scheme.  Some time on the P.S. would do him some good for a nickel back role I think.

Is there a reason why you think the teams need 15 or more? The roster size is 53 so how many more do you think would be enough and why?

Larger practice squad means if you have injuries in the season you have some guys that know the offense/defense. IRed players have to be replaced by someone. Better a guy that already knows the job than a guy Wii needs to learn his assignments. I dont really see a down side

Me personally I would lean more towards Johnny Adams and Obukwelu.  I know you don't like Qua Cox all that much, but to me I think it would do him some good to bulk up a little bit and get more comfortable in the scheme.  Some time on the P.S. would do him some good for a nickel back role I think.

I got Adams on the 8 PS already

Nu'Keese Richardson or Ryan Lankford I could see sticking to the 10 man P.S. -- looks like we are trying to figure out a dynamic return man -- Purifoy, I think makes the 53 and has a good shot at opening the season as punt returner but it'd be nice to have someone electric on the P.S. for 2 reasons -- (1) these smaller, lightning bolt types can be very valuable in practice to simulate some players we will have to face on game day (e.g., Darren Sproles in week 2 vs. Philly) and (2) if someone gets injured later in the year, having a pure playmaker available could be helpful

Could also make room for someone like Qua Cox, an UDFA who a lot of people were high on but who has struggled in the 2 preseason games -- maybe he has the potential but needs a little more time at this level to harness it.

It is almost impossible to say right now, because I am sure once cuts are made some guys we try to stash on the PS will be swooped up and we will likely be signing players from other teams' cut lists.

My guess at a 10 man PS with what we have now would be:

(1) Dewey Mcdonald

(2) Eric Swoope

(3) Tony Washington

(4) Zurlon Tipton

(5) Nnamdi Obukwelu

(6) Marcus Hall

(7) Qua Cox/Sheldon Price/Kam Jackson/Johnny Adams (I don't think we'll keep them all, but I expect we'll keep 1 or 2 of this group or find a DB from elsewhere after cuts)

(8) Chandler Harnish or a QB from elsewhere

(9) Nu'Keese Richardson

(10) another OL

Always good to have a Corner on the PS, If he gets picked up then no big deal plus already have Johnny Adams one of my first 8 PS players

Depends if you have 6 corners on the 53 but I'd definitely put Price, Burley, Purifoy, and Adams over Jackson. I think Jackson goes on the first cut day.

This is huge!!!! Finally the NFL has done something right!!!

"@AdamSchefter: By next week, NFL is expected to increase size of practice squads to 10 players from 8."

Which :colts: players who were on the bubble or are impressing but may not make the 53 do you think will get stashed?

That is certainly good to see.  I have thought they should do this for a while, I would like to see the 53 man roster expanded.

Like Prisco says, and was my initial thought as well:

@PriscoCBS: Extra players on the practice squad is step to more on roster -- more jobs -- and …. more games. Watch

@PriscoCBS: League will expand rosters, give more time off, pay more and we will see 18 games. This preseason has been terrible

I'd rather they increase the roster by two and the game active list by two, rather than the PS by two.

Expand them all, IMO. This is a step in the right direction. I'm still hoping to see the game day roster expanded to 50 and the active roster to 60. But at least this gives teams some flexibility. 

practice squad good. colts keep players

mongo_only_pawn-300x163.jpg

haha SDS gets bonus points for the hilarious "Blazing Saddles" Mongo reference. It made me laugh pretty good.  :thmup: Nice work. 

Mongo would have made a decent Center. Maybe we should put pads on him just in case Holmes gets nicked again. Just a thought...

1. It was wide left.

2. He told him that after Mac missed the field goal.

1. You are right it was wide left my bad thanks for pointing that out

2. Why would we promise our punter he could try a FG in a real game when we have Adam? That seems strange

3. Maybe he will get another shot in the preseason?

4. It would have to be under very specific circumstances for it to happen in a real game I would think not sure how he could promise that.

5. Does Pagano have a crystal ball?

he did it was wide right

Those 2 words always make me think of Buffalo Bills FG kicker Scott Norwood losing to the NY Giants in 1991 during SB XXV.

Sorry Jim Kelly & Mr. Norwood. I honestly thought Buffalo was gonna be hoisting the  :lombardi: that season, but I digress. Jim is still 1 of my favorite HOF QBs that never won a ring. Sigh...

Okay, back on topic again. 

Larger practice squad means if you have injuries in the season you have some guys that know the offense/defense. IRed players have to be replaced by someone. Better a guy that already knows the job than a guy Wii needs to learn his assignments. I dont really see a down side

Fair enough. 

haha SDS gets bonus points for the hilarious "Blazing Saddles" Mongo reference. It made me laugh pretty good.  :thmup: Nice work. 

Mongo would have made a decent Center. Maybe we should put pads on him just in case Holmes gets nicked again. Just a thought...

Man I don't know about him making the O Line calls maybe a G