Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Montori Hughes...bust?

BProland85

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. Seems like he has stayed very clean and I've never heard that he had a poor attitude since being drafted. I'm not sure he was ever projected to go much before than where he did , but for sure he had the size - speed ratio to go a couple rounds higher. I think at the least he will be a rotational player that can play both NT and DE in our defense. It's not like these teams don't have injuries , so that's pretty valuable.

Agreed.

I don't see envision him as more than a backup. 

He will not beat out McKinney at backup NT, and we have better DE's than him who can play DT better than him.

My personal opinion - It will probably take an injury for Hughes to make the team. 

He was raw coming out of college and an obvious project player, IMO. Why would you give up on him after one season? The guy can move for a big man, and even though he was a 5th rounder, we did move up to get him, which means Grigson and the coaches obviously saw something in his game that they coveted (to a degree)

Agreed.

I don't see envision him as more than a backup. 

He will not beat out McKinney at backup NT, and we have better DE's than him who can play DT better than him.

My personal opinion - It will probably take an injury for Hughes to make the team. 

I highly doubt McKinney is even going to make the team. Hughes' flexibility to play across the line already has McKinney beat as well as some of the other DL players. I believe that's why Pendleton was able to stick around, in that he could play all across the line as well. It would be hard to put one trick pony's (McKinney) over guys like Hughes and Pendleton, unless they were just extrememly dominant. McKinney is not that guy.

I highly doubt McKinney is even going to make the team. Hughes' flexibility to play across the line already has McKinney beat as well as some of the other DL players. I believe that's why Pendleton was able to stick around, in that he could play all across the line as well. It would be hard to put one trick pony's (McKinney) over guys like Hughes and Pendleton, unless they were just extrememly dominant. McKinney is not that guy.

I can understand why you would doubt if McKinney will make the team, but do not understand one bit why you would highly doubt it.

McKinney is our second best NT on the team because his "trick" is that he can stop the run. Hughes was a draft pick that we moved up to get. We have DE's currently on the team who can and do at times play DT. 

If it comes down to choosing only one (and both are healthy) then I would choose McKinney. Management might want to go with the younger guy, who they brought in and groomed.

An argument can be made for it either way.

All that said, it is possible that both make the team. My point is it may take an injury on the DL for Hughes to make the team.

My question is, why wouldn't you want the coach to speak glowingly of the player the team just drafted? And keep in mind, the Colts traded up for him, so they obviously really liked him. It wasn't just "well, he's probably the best option on the board, let's go ahead and take him." No, they gave up a future fourth rounder for him. There ought to be a little excitement...

Yes, he's just a fifth rounder, and the career of Haloti Ngata probably isn't on the horizon. But what Pagano said is that Hughes is big (he is), strong (he is), and moves quickly for his size (he does), which reminds him of Haloti Ngata.

I think we all do, but possibly more in a realm of glowing expectations coated in a topping of reality.  It just seems he sometimes speaks as if we just plucked a Corvette Z06 dirt cheap from a dark hidden corner of the lot.  More realistic would be to enthusiastically tell us how fortunate we were to spot an Impala LTZ and we have great hopes for it.  If the car does become a Impala LTZ, people will find out that it is a lot quicker and more athletic than anyone realized. Significantly.  No not Z06 level (which places the bar too high for reasonable expectation) but much more than folks would have ever guessed, and certainly massively better than the plethora of Aveo's still littering the lot.  But that's just my opinion.  I really can deal with the excessive superlatives.  It's a Pagano filter that is forming.  ;-)

So I see both sides of the equation.  It's all good though.

I can understand why you would doubt if McKinney will make the team, but do not understand one bit why you would highly doubt it.

McKinney is our second best NT on the team because his "trick" is that he can stop the run. Hughes was a draft pick that we moved up to get. We have DE's currently on the team who can and do at times play DT. 

If it comes down to choosing only one (and both are healthy) then I would choose McKinney. Management might want to go with the younger guy, who they brought in and groomed.

All that said, it is possible that both make the team. My point is it may take an injury on the DL for Hughes to make the team.

I don't see any scenario where Hughes does not make the team unless it's for some sort of behavioral issue.

We need at least 4 guys that can play the DE/DT spots.  With Pendleton and Moala down, we only have 3 and Hughes is the clear 4th, to me, as a guy who can give you snaps there while also rotating in at NT.  McKinney needs to beat out Kerr, from my vantage point, not Hughes.  He'll never catch Hughes.  Yes, I know Kerr is currently listed as a DT, but I think they are vying for the 6th spot in the DL rotation, and Kerr may end up being more of a NT than DT over time anyway.

McKinney hasn't played in two years. I don't know whether he can stop the run or not.

Sure you can say that. I can also say that Holmes has never stopped the run.

Holmes? You mean Hughes?

Yeah, that's true. But one is 31 years old and coming off of back to back ACL injuries, who was always a one note defensive lineman. The other is 24 and coming off a more minor knee injury, and he has more versatility along the line.

Holmes? You mean Hughes?

Yeah, that's true. But one is 31 years old and coming off of back to back ACL injuries, who was always a one note defensive lineman. The other is 24 and coming off a more minor knee injury, and he has more versatility along the line.

Yes Hughes. You replied right as I was changing it.

I am not sold that Hughes will make this team. I am not saying he won't, but not sold that he will.

I don't see this GREAT talent in Hughes that most people on this board sees.

Me believes it has more to do with blinders, which is understandable.

Yes Hughes. You replied right as I was changing it.

I am not sold that Hughes will make this team. I am not saying he won't, but not sold that he will.

I don't see this GREAT talent in Hughes that most people on this board sees.

Me believes it has more to do with blinders, which is understandable.

No one can say whether he'll make the team, but I think he's ahead of McKinney, for the reasons stated above.

I also think it's funny how whenever people like a young player that is still unproven, it's attributed to homerism. Can't just like a young guy, I have to be blinded by my fanship. That's awesome...

No one can say whether he'll make the team, but I think he's ahead of McKinney, for the reasons stated above.

I also think it's funny how whenever people like a young player that is still unproven, it's attributed to homerism. Can't just like a young guy, I have to be blinded by my fanship. That's awesome...

It is an understandable reason.

You are correct. We don't know which one, or if either will make the team. It is all opinion based at this time.

Just as you believe that Hughes is ahead of McKinney, I believe McKinney (If healthy) will be kept over Hughes.

I also believe we will see some cuts this year that will surprise some Colts fans. There is just not a lot of room.

I can already hear it now about a few cuts; such as, why did we cut Cam Johnson, when he has played so well in the preseason, and we just traded for him last year?

We need at least 4 guys that can play the DE/DT spots.  With Pendleton and Moala down, we only have 3 and Hughes is the clear 4th, to me, as a guy who can give you snaps there while also rotating in at NT.  McKinney needs to beat out Kerr, from my vantage point, not Hughes.  He'll never catch Hughes.  Yes, I know Kerr is currently listed as a DT, but I think they are vying for the 6th spot in the DL rotation, and Kerr may end up being more of a NT than DT over time anyway.

I believe we will keep 6 DL and it is a battle between Hughes and Kerr for the final DT spot.

If a guy this colossal can supposedly move like a cat (Grigs words), then I'm all about giving him a chance to learn from Jones, Chappy, and Redding.

Now if he could just figure out where his mouth is.....

ColtsHughes_zpsb3277df3.jpg

Lol, I saw him do that during the game. Looked like Butler was sayin something to him when he was coming off the field so Hughes squirted him. I thought it was pretty funny. Either that or he just squirted him being funny period. Either way, my kind of dude! Lol

You are correct. We don't know which one, or if either will make the team. It is all opinion based at this time.

Just as you believe that Hughes is ahead of McKinney, I believe McKinney (If healthy) will be kept over Hughes.

I also believe we will see some cuts this year that will surprise some Colts fans. There is just not a lot of room.

I can already hear it now about a few cuts; such as, why did we cut Cam Johnson, when he has played so well in the preseason, and we just traded for him last year?

There's no way they would keep McKinney over Hughes. I'm not even sure where all this bust talk nonsense is even coming from.

There's no way they would keep McKinney over Hughes. I'm not even sure where all this bust talk nonsense is even coming from.

Agreed.  I could see keeping 6 DL on the final roster.  IMO, Jones, Redding, Chapman, RJF and Hughes are the locks with probably Kerr and McKinney battling for the final spot.

It is so funny how "nonsense" turns into, "I told you so later".

For the record, I never said Hughes was a bust. I did not start this thread. I am only stating that I am not sold Hughes will make the team. Right now I believe it is a battle between Hughes and Kerr for the final DT spot.

Barring injury, I see McKinney making the final 53.

It is so funny how "nonsense" turns into, "I told you so later".

For the record, I never said Hughes was a bust. I did not start this thread. I am only stating that I am not sold Hughes will make the team. Right now I believe it is a battle between Hughes and Kerr for the final DT spot.

Barring injury, I see McKinney making the final 53.

Well I should of worded it more correctly. Wasn't directing the nonsense part to you. But there is no way Hughes gets cut in favor of McKinney.

Agreed.  I could see keeping 6 DL on the final roster.  IMO, Jones, Redding, Chapman, RJF and Hughes are the locks with probably Kerr and McKinney battling for the final spot.

If you believe it is between McKinney and Kerr for the final NT spot then you already have your list:

Jones, Hughes

Chapman, McKinney

Redding, RJF

Barring injury to McKinney, it is very unlikely that Kerr will beat out McKinney.

Well I should of worded it more correctly. Wasn't directing the nonsense part to you. But there is no way Hughes gets cut in favor of McKinney.

No problem. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Bolded part - How is there not a way?

If the coaches like Kerr more than Hughes, and are also sold on McKinney at NT, then there is you way. :)

It's not the reason. That's my point. I can like a guy based on his merits, not because he's a Colt.

If you believe it is between McKinney and Kerr for the final NT spot then you already have your list:

Jones, Hughes

Chapman, McKinney

Redding, RJF

Barring injury to McKinney, it is very unlikely that Kerr will beat out McKinney.

Kerr can play NT and DE and played better then McKinney in game 1...Though McKinney did well. Its not likely McKinney will make it over Kerr based on game 1 at least, Now if McKinney can prove he is versatile then he has a shot becaue staff value versatility

Not sure if this applies to the OP, but, for many who post on NFL boards.............

Team took a player in a round that I didn't agree with = bust

Player hasn't lived up to MY expectations = bust

both which mean exactly squat to those who work in and make decisions at the highest level of football on this planet. 

Kerr can play NT and DE and played better then McKinney in game 1...Though McKinney did well. Its not likely McKinney will make it over Kerr based on game 1 at least, Now if McKinney can prove he is versatile then he has a shot becaue staff value versatility

We are obviously watching football differently. A healthy McKinney is easily at least our second best NT.

Versatility is important, but not as important as having a good NT in a 34 defense.

It's not the reason. That's my point. I can like a guy based on his merits, not because he's a Colt.

Like him for any reason you want to.

Seems like you might want to take your own words and listen to them. Others have the same rights too.

People quickly forget that we signed McKinney to be our starter a few years ago. He got hurt. He had 2 years to recover. If he is healthy then he is a very good NT.

Like him for any reason you want to.

Seems like you might want to take your own words and listen to them. Others have the same rights too.

People quickly forget that we signed McKinney to be our starter a few years ago. He got hurt. He had 2 years to recover. If he is healthy then he is a very good NT.

I don't have any problem with you liking McKinney. The difference is I'm not attributing your opinion of him to blind homerism, like you're doing with me.

Not sure if this applies to the OP, but, for many who post on NFL boards.............

Team took a player in a round that I didn't agree with = bust

Player hasn't lived up to MY expectations = bust

both which mean exactly squat to those who work in and make decisions at the highest level of football on this planet.

I agree. It's silly to even say a 5th round pick is a bust to begin with. The fact that Hughes made it this long is somewhat a success.

I don't have any problem with you liking McKinney. The difference is I'm not attributing your opinion of him to blind homerism, like you're doing with me.

It would be understandable if you did because this is a Colts message board. People do it every day on this board.

It's not about me liking or not liking any player. It is just my opinion that if healthy, McKinney will be kept over Hughes.

I believe Hughes and Kerr are the two that have a battle going for a roster spot.

We are obviously watching football differently. A healthy McKinney is easily at least our second best DT.

Versatility is important, but not as important as having a good NT in a 34 defense.

Explain to me what you saw with McKinney. What I saw with Kerr is a guy who could consistently separate from both DE and NT spots track the ball well, He showed he could stand his ground in the run game, Now I did read from Kyle Rodriguez that Kerrs versatility may not be needed and that maybe just a Nose Tackle only player may be needed which McKinney can provide that...Though again why go with a player that can play 1 position...mediocre really to be honest over a versatile D Lineman, 340lb D Linemen that can move like Kerr are not as easy to find at NT's, I think if Kerr goes on the PS we lose him, Not a back breaking loss to be sure, That's not what Im saying but he has shown talent

Bust hum, I don't think he has played enough to know & I agree, is a 5th round pick a bust if he doesn't make it? In pre season last year he, Hughes IMO didn't look good, but he put in the work & when he got to play last year, before he got hurt I thought he played well an showed promise. I also thought he played well last week against the Jets. I love his size, honestly I think the guys going to be a good player!

Not sure how McKinney is the second best NT when he hasn't played in 2 years. Honestly I think he has a tough time making the team!  Based on age an potential.

Its actually quite easy to understand. The guy, as Superman pointed out, has only played in ~3 snaps as a Colts player, and that was 2 years ago against the Redskins in the preseason. Hughes already has more time and experience in THIS system than McKinney does. I think it would be quite difficult to assume that McKinney is "at least the 2nd best NT on the team" when we've had such a very VERY small viewing of him. Hughes, however, we have seen play live and excel in the NT position when given the opportunity. McKinney's shot at making the team only got better with Pendleton getting hurt. Had Pendleton been healthy, McKinney wouldn't even be a discussion.

McKinney's only competition to making this team is Kerr, and coincidentally Kerr can also play outside as well as inside. The odds are heavily against McKinney making this team barring injuries to other DL players. On top of that, his previous injury (ACL) and age are also going to play a part as well. Versatility on this DLine is king, and McKinney just doesn't bring to the table what Hughes and even Chapman can.