Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Everyone Hate The Coaches 2 Years Ago?

oldunclemark

I know from where I live that everybody hates the football coach and management..everywhere

In Chicago, they'd fire Lovie Smith today if it was up to fans and media..

he needs security to get out of his own stadium..

..and all management would go, too.

Word out of Philadelphia is that they want everyone in charge gone..yesterday..

.and dial up some NY media..They've had it with fat Rex..

Did we all here hate Caldwell and Polian when we were winning>???

Hate? No. I don't hate him now though, I just don't think he's the right guy for the job. Which is exactly what I thought when they hired him. Polian didn't really start to lose me until the 14-0 jets debacle. It wasn't even so much the perfect season, but it drives me up a wall to be playing in a real game and not trying to win it. That (imo) sends the wrong message to your team.

You play to win the game.

But what has ultimately caused me to turn on Polian, is that in all his time here, he has never put together a consistantly good defense. Obviously winning makes that stench easier to stomach, but when I look back at this time here, I think that is precisely the reason we've not had anywhere close to the same level of success in the playoffs as we've had in the regular season.

The arrogance and general bad attitude towards anyone not named Bill Polian doesn't help his cause either.

Hate? No. I don't hate him now though, I just don't think he's the right guy for the job. Which is exactly what I thought when they hired him. Polian didn't really start to lose me until the 14-0 jets debacle. It wasn't even so much the perfect season, but it drives me up a wall to be playing in a real game and not trying to win it. That (imo) sends the wrong message to your team.

You play to win the game.

But what has ultimately caused me to turn on Polian, is that in all his time here, he has never put together a consistantly good defense. Obviously winning makes that stench easier to stomach, but when I look back at this time here, I think that is precisely the reason we've not had anywhere close to the same level of success in the playoffs as we've had in the regular season.

The arrogance and general bad attitude towards anyone not named Bill Polian doesn't help his cause either.

Cant argue with you there..He's a legend in his own mind.

But is it basic fan nature to hate (and that's a strong word) the coach and GM and owner...everywhere..

..because you know they do..

I know from where I live that everybody hates the football coach and management..everywhere

No,everybody knows Caldwell is nothing but a puppet caretaker and Manning was the real coach of the team.Now that Caldwell don't have that crutch his ineptitude is on full display.

Caldwell inherited a good team that Dungy had assembled and coached. I knew then that when Caldwell was given the head coaching position, his main job wasn't to come in and coach the team, rather keep in place what Dungy had built. That's how the Colts made it to the Super Bowl, where it was evident that Caldwell was out-coached. Now over time we've seen the Dungy effect wear off and in a time when the Colts need leadership there is a void. It's clear that if Caldwell were a leader, the team would continue to win. This season is an anomaly, however, we've started to see a slow decline since Caldwell has taken over. If the Colts do not change it now, the slide will continue.

Cant argue with you there..He's a legend in his own mind.

But is it basic fan nature to hate (and that's a strong word) the coach and GM and owner...everywhere..

..because you know they do..

False. Go to any Patriots board and start a thread disparaging either Belichick or Kraft. They'll run you out of town on a rail.

The 14-0 scenario really was where I was angered by Caldwell and then of course the poor coaching in the Super Bowl.

To be honest though I always credited the teams success to Manning. I never really thought Caldwell had a huge impact. Dungy on the other hand knew how to coach and was smart about the timeouts, challenges etc. He was no Belichick but he did enough to get the team playing and to win.

I don't hate Caldwell I just feel he is not the type of coach we need. We need someone that can light a fire under the defense, someone who I can trust will make the right choices when it comes down to those critical decisions and Caldwell isn't that kind of coach.

The 14-0 was attributed more to Mannings brilliant play, the defense forcing turnovers, and a little bit of luck.

Hate is such a strong word, so I'd have to say.... Yes, I've hated Caldwell since they announced their decision. I don't mind promoting someone up to head coach, it has to happen eventually or we would run out of head coaches, but we could have at least fotten someone with somekind of pedigree or reputation. I've sais it before, his only claim to fame is that he was Colt's QB coach. Let that sink in.... He coached one of the greatest of all time who didn't beed him anyway,and backups who, well... you've seen them play. So what qualified him to take over as HC? Nothing.

I retract my statement. I don't hate Caldwell, he is just out of his league here. He has tried his best, and failed. Go seek employment elsewhere Jim. I know of some highschools in my area that need coaches, maybe you should try that. High school teams never make adjustments during the game, you'd fit in perfectly.

Was Chicago ever 0-10 with Lovie Smith???

Sexy Rexy has been so terrible, that he had to go.

I wasn't keen on Caldwell two years ago and I'm neither keen on him today.

I was surprised about Dungy's retirement, however he announced it well in advance.

The Bears were 5-11 with Lovie....and 7-9 twice..

..and they really hate the guy..MUCH worse than Caldwell..

Not keen is Ok.....He's probably not too keen on himself at 0-10

Not hate, I like the man on a personal level. But those who remember me from websites prior, I have been very vocal about Caldwell dating back to when he took the reigns. I didn't feel he was qualified then, and I don't think he is qualified now.

For the record, I liked Coach Dungy both as a person and a coach, and was very disappointed when he chose to call it quits.

The Bears were 5-11 with Lovie....and 7-9 twice..

..and they really hate the guy..MUCH worse than Caldwell..

Not keen is Ok.....He's probably not too keen on himself at 0-10

I don't hate anyone I don't know, but was never a big fan of his or Dungy for that matter. I have alway felt had the Colts had a tougher minded coach in the Manning era we would have 4 super bowls by now. The soft tag is somewhat correct for this team, and always has been. That needs to change.

I don't hate anyone I don't know, but was never a big fan of his or Dungy for that matter. I have alway felt had the Colts had a tougher minded coach in the Manning era we would have 4 super bowls by now. The soft tag is somewhat correct for this team, and always has been. That needs to change.

An indoor, pass oriented team is always going to be called soft..

Atlanta and NOLA hear the same things..

I was willing to give him a chance, but during the playoffs and our SB run that year, he showed me that he wasn't really that good as a HC. I have wanted someone new since then. Last year, it was painful again and this year, with the talent that this team is supposed to have, we should have won a game.

Very true, but my vision is that 5 years from now the Colts are the team known for changing that!

LUV..that's a whole nother topic but I notice that the game the Bears and Colts play a different sport.

The Colts are finesse..passing..and indoors..slick and precise (until this year)

The Bears are punishing, fighting.....runing and outdoors...on the Lakefront and in Green Bay and Minnesota

I think the teams are defined by their hometown and their hometown stadium and enviroment..

The Bears will never be a slick passing team (no matter what OC Mike Martz does)

and the Colts will never have a power running game..playing in what amounts to a windless soundstage..

Agree?

I was mad at the colts when Caldwell was named head coach, I was even more mad when he sat the starters at 14-0 and I was even more mad when people gave him credit for getting to a SB in his rookie year. I was mad at the Polians for some of their draft choices over the past few years. I was mad at Irsay for demanding we pay peyton more when he was willing to take less.

The Defense even though it was always an issue was always brushed off by the entire colts front office. The inability to think ahead and draft a competent backup QB.

If you ask me it's time to clean house. From top to bottom.

When Dungy stepped down and Caldwell rose to head coach the first thing that came to mind was, "Who is this guy?" I didn't hate him, heck, I didn't even know who he was. To a degree I STILL don't know who he is because he doesn't DO ANYTHING.

I was tilting my head at the decision to make him head coach, since all I immediately gathered of him was his "great" record at Wake Forest. After the first few games of the season under his unblinking glare I knew I didn't care for him. When he rolled over and died per Polian at 16-0 THEN it turned to hate. (As a coach)

Hate isn't the word I'd use regarding Caldwell as a person - it's just a matter of a guy being in over his head and being a yes man to Polian. All the while contributing NOTHING to the team be it motivation or making adjustments during game time. He does NEITHER. He's not a bad man, but he's a bad coach. One of the worst in the history of the game and hands down the worst active coach today.

Polian is an egotistical fill in the blank who railroads anyone who dares to disagree with him. He's basically a bully with too much power who has to have it his way all the time. He rarely, if ever, owns up to his errors. As a GM, and as a person, I've never liked him. He gave us PM I'll give him that, but he's also given us a colossal dud of a TEAM during Manning's tenure here. Just like Buffalo, he rides the coattails of one good (or in this case, the GOAT) QB and feels it excuses him from all his brain dead personnel decisions. (Great job with Tryon, by the way).

Every defensive coordinator/conditioning coach/assistant coach we've had in the past 20 years have been awful and I've never liked any of them. We haven't had a good special teams coach in, what, how many decades? The only exceptions to side coaches are Tom Moore and Howard Mudd who were fantastic for us. (Having PM to work with didn't hurt). They jelled extremely well with him and had a great O until around 2006.

Sure wouldn't hurt to have those two back to put a real O-line in place (Mudd) and whisper some plays that don't suck in to Painter's ear. (Moore)

Hindsight is 20-20 but we still had Tom Moore & Howard Mudd @ some capacity . I was perplexed by the Coyer decision since we absolutley torched his Denver defenses in the play-offs twice . Calwell was described as Dungy-Lite . In time , it became evident to me that in some instances he was hindering our chances of victory . Seems like a super-nice & intellegent person w/ a solid football background . I feel that he's just out of his league as a head coach .

I was calling for Polian to be fired in the Spring of 2007 after they won the Super Bowl for putting together the 3rd worst run defense in NFL history. He has done absolutely nothing to fix it so yes I wanted him fired in 2009, especially after the gutless 14-1 fiasco.

As for Caldwell I have never considered him the real coach at all. He is just a figurehead.

i already mentioned it before, but ill write it again. the biggest evidence proofing that caldwell was just along for the ride was the 09 game vs the pats and at the end of the game belichick gave him a sorry excuse of a handshake because he knew he didnt lose because he was outcoached by caldwell, but by peyton

I never cared for Caldwell. I wasn't happy when he was named head coach when Dungy retired.

I also thought it was a mistake. Yes he took them to the SB, but I think with the team they had then anyone could have. Last year calling time out when Jets had the ball on that last series confirmed it to me that Caldwell is unworthy of this job.

i already mentioned it before, but ill write it again. the biggest evidence proofing that caldwell was just along for the ride was the 09 game vs the pats and at the end of the game belichick gave him a sorry excuse of a handshake because he knew he didnt lose because he was outcoached by caldwell, but by peyton

Belichick is also a very poor loser.

Hate is a strong word, but i disliked both when we were winning.

I felt Polian failed to add the missing pieces necessary to allow Manning multiple titles opportunities. He had 2, should have been more. The guy IMO is the best QB to ever play, not sure how many guy can take a team with so little talent as far as he did every year. Over about the the past 5 years, even though we were winning thanks to Manning, Polian was destroying the roster. We may go 0-16 this year, and that just doesn't happen overnight. It's been years and years of bad roster blunders, draft picks, etc.

Caldwell has never been a good in game manager. His use of timeouts is terrible. He, just like Polian, have survived off the great Peyton Manning. Pretty obvious what this team is without 18.

I think you are playing fast and loose with the truth to make a point. I am very familiar with the Philly and NYC markets (I live in central NJ about 40 miles from both Philadelphia and New York City) and get all the local tv stations and have access to both cities tabloids and talk radio stations. I can assure you RexRyan, although a blowhard, is safe. That fan base still supports him as the J-E-T-S head coach and the same goes for Andy Reid in Philly. The Eagles fans are probably the toughest fanbase in the NFL but according to reports the vast majority of the fans want to keep Reid in charge. I can't weigh in with an opinion on Lovie Smith but I suspect a lot of the anger was really directed at the OC, Mike Martz. Now that the Bears are on a roll, things appear to be quiet in Chicago.

Speaking for myself, Polian has always been a over rated windbag that was fired from his other two GM positions. He has more ego than results and I never, ever thought Caldwell was hc material based on his 8 years of proven losing while hc at Wake Forest.

I've always thought we should have more Lombardi trophys during the past decade based on Polian's so called genius drafting. I know the last resort of the Polian defenders will be "we have the best record during the past decade" but they will leave out that we sucked big time in the playoffs, had a number of one and done and our team of smufs and midgets just couldn't physically go toe to toe with our playoff opponents. Also, Manning was the deodrant that covered up a lot of the Polian draft mistakes and so so coaching by Caldwell (well, he at least covered it up until this year).

I can't weigh in with an opinion on Lovie Smith but I suspect a lot of the anger was really directed at the OC, Mike Martz. Now that the Bears are on a roll, things appear to be quiet in Chicago.

Lovie's never been a favorite here in Chicago. Neither is their GM. But, when the team is winning, all's O.K. I think it's more to Lovie's demeanor though. I think they're still stuck in '85, and can't let go of Da Coach mentality.