Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Can't Trade Manning

GoColts8818

I just caught part of something on ESPN radio but they had John Clayton on and he said because of how Manning's contract is set up and how he is to get his bonus money the Colts can NOT trade Peyton Manning and they will either have to cut him or keep him and draft Andrew Luck and either trade Luck or let Luck sit on the bench.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. He doesn't need to be traded. He either can't play or he can. If he can play, why trade away the best player in the NFL?

beats me I didn't want him traded in the first place. However it's been the talk of the media lately. WIth that said I think that's more the media just trying to drum a storyline.

Peyton can always over-rule "re-write" the contract. Peyton is willing to do whatever is best for the team.

haha. You think he is going to allow himself to be traded away so it's better for the Colts? If the Colts don't want him, why would he care what they get in return? He is loyal to the Colts, but if they decide to go in another direction, I bet he couldn't give a rat's tail how good the team is after he leaves.

I just caught part of something on ESPN radio but they had John Clayton on and he said because of how Manning's contract is set up and how he is to get his bonus money the Colts can NOT trade Peyton Manning and they will either have to cut him or keep him and draft Andrew Luck and either trade Luck or let Luck sit on the bench.

I've been saying that for about a week or two.

He could be traded, but their is a 3 day window, from when the league year opens and when his bonus is due. The other team would a) have to send us ample compensation, B ) willing to pay him the 28million option bonus c) willing to pay him 35 million in base salaries over the next 3 years.

That's why I've said there is 0% chance he is traded. If he's not healthy he might be released but he will not be traded.

The Colts could still trade Manning, they would just have to pay him the $28 million and then trade him. I am not sure they would want to do it, but they could. I guess it would depend on how much they were getting in the trade, is it worth the initial outlay of $28 mil.

There is not one trade in the NFL worth 28 million. I hope the media saying Luck won't sit a year or two behind manning is just hype.

I think Luck would recognize the opportunity that he would have in sitting behind Manning for a year or two. He seems to be a smart kid..If he was like the majority of the college prospects he wouldn't have returned to Stanford for another year and would have entered the draft last year.

Good. He doesn't need to be traded. He either can't play or he can. If he can play, why trade away the best player in the NFL?

I hate to dash your view but even if Peyont comes back 100% he is no longer the best active player in the NFL, maybe top 10, but even that might be a reach at this point in his career.

Peyton is not going to play for another team. If the Colts decide to release him it is going to be something both sides have discussed. There would be parades, and inteviews, and retirement parties, etc. Maybe that is alittle to far, but you get the idea. Irsay might be a little strange, but he also knows what Peyton has ment to this organization and this city. I for one, if they did just cut ties with Peyton and treat him like dirt, would be outside the stadium with a picket sign and tomatos. I have a feeling alot of fans would be very upset over such a travisty. IMHO, Peyton will be back for a few more seasons. I have no idea what level he will be at when he does return. I have no delusions of SuperBowls at this point though.

There was NEVER a chance that Peyton Manning would be traded by the present Colts ownership.

that thought was a creation of ESPN..

The Colts could still trade Manning, they would just have to pay him the $28 million and then trade him. I am not sure they would want to do it, but they could. I guess it would depend on how much they were getting in the trade, is it worth the initial outlay of $28 mil.

That is not very feasible.

If he we do not pick up his option, he's already going to have a salary cap hit of 16million based on the 4 years of acceleration of his initial 20 million signing bonus that remains throughout the remaining of his contract. If we were to pay the 28 million option bonus that $ would only add to the cap hit for the Colts.

Therefore, again, Peyton Manning will not be traded. If he's not healthy his option will not be picked up, but he will not be traded. The two sides might agree to push back the option date later in the league year and I would say that would be closer to yet still before the draft. That might increase a likelihood of a trade but it would still be a very small chance, since Peyton & team A would have to agree to a restructuring of his contract which is a completely different scenario than his previous restructures. He can't renegotiate his contract until the new league year, and then his option bonus is due 3 days after the start of the new league year.

I hate to dash your view but even if Peyont comes back 100% he is no longer the best active player in the NFL, maybe top 10, but even that might be a reach at this point in his career.

For the sake of entertainment, I'd love to see this list of 10 current players that you feel are better than a healthy Peyton Manning. Also, please be objective. I'm not asking who you think might be better. Offer up a list of names and justify the list. Try to use things like statistical comparisons, win/loss records, MVP awards and team's record without the players in question. I can't imagine how you'll pull this off but I'd love to see you try.

I have a feeling you're just trying to stir the pot but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Convince me that Peyton Manning, when healthy, is not the (or even one of the top 10) best players in the league. Make a cogent argument and I will objectively consider it. Like I said, I can't imagine that you'll pull this off but I'll reserve judgment until I've reviewed your supporting evidence.

I thought that in 2010...Manning ...with young and 2nd string receivers...was the NFL"s best QB...especially in December

when we won the last four.

Only Tom Brady and Drew Brees can even claim to be better...

i still think all this luck talk is a sham and instead if we do get the #1 pick we will trade down with miami give them luck and pick up someone like griffin who has single handedly turned around the baylor team. and pick up more picks and more players. but either way i think manning stays and plays for a few more years unless he isnt healthy which then he will then hang them up and retire.

I thought that in 2010...Manning ...with young and 2nd string receivers...was the NFL"s best QB...especially in December

when we won the last four.

Only Tom Brady and Drew Brees can even claim to be better...

Considering he's won 2 of his NFL record 4 MVP's while battling neck/arm issues, if he is healthy, which if that is the case, could easily be for the first time since 2006(Pre Washington), he might even be better than he has been over the past 4 years or so. It will all depend on the nerves regenerating and him regaining his arm strength. His mind/knowledge is only going to get better. If we can improve the team around him, and the structure of the team not being so QB dependent, then if he is healthy there is no reason for him not to succeed. He's never been one to rely upon his mobility, or pure athletic ability so losing a step when it comes to speed hasn't been an issue since we quit using the stretch play which I contribute to the knee injury and a slight loss of speed/quickness. Some simply hate him for whatever reason and yet still claim to be Colts fans.

If Peyton is healthy, why would you want to trade the one guy that got us into the playoffs all those years?

Drafting Luck and having him sit on the bench isn't going to make the rest of the team any better. I would rather take our chances with Peyton not getting hurt again and pick up a free agent qb early to learn our system in plenty of time.

The article actually says:

"They either keep Manning and trade Luck, or draft Luck and cut Manning."

I'm not sure why they think that if we draft Luck we have to cut Manning. But if I were Luck I'd want to PLAY not sit and watch. Even if you're watching the GOAT, it's still not getting enough reps in practice or on the field.

I hope we trade Luck for a king's ransom. That way, the first time Manning has a mediocre game, I don't have to listen to the clamors for putting Luck in....

The article actually says:

"They either keep Manning and trade Luck, or draft Luck and cut Manning."

I'm not sure why they think that if we draft Luck we have to cut Manning. But if I were Luck I'd want to PLAY not sit and watch. Even if you're watching the GOAT, it's still not getting enough reps in practice or on the field.

I hope we trade Luck for a king's ransom. That way, the first time Manning has a mediocre game, I don't have to listen to the clamors for putting Luck in....

I think Colts would still pick up a Barkley or Moore along with the Kings ransom. I wonder how much of a ransom Miami would offer with the 2nd overall pick?

I think Colts would still pick up a Barkley or Moore along with the Kings ransom. I wonder how much of a ransom Miami would offer with the 2nd overall pick?

That is hard to say. Even if we swapped 1's, and got their 2, this year and 1 next year, that would be pretty hefty. Picks 2, 33,34. Of course we could then play with trading the 2 as well.

Luck is a safe pick, but there are plenty of other options to consider that might benefit this team more than one single quarterback that could spend some time on the bench behind a living legend. Even if Manning is done, the payoff of trading the pick might exceed the value for Luck. Just the way the Chargers turned the Eli Manning pick into Rivers, Merriman, & their Kicker, and I think somebody else. Even though both sides benefited, the Chargers could have just drafted Fitzgerald, locked up Brees, and they would have been pretty dang dangerous with that grouping, but Brees with Payton is better than Brees without Payton, so it is hard to say.

For the sake of entertainment, I'd love to see this list of 10 current players that you feel are better than a healthy Peyton Manning. Also, please be objective. I'm not asking who you think might be better. Offer up a list of names and justify the list. Try to use things like statistical comparisons, win/loss records, MVP awards and team's record without the players in question. I can't imagine how you'll pull this off but I'd love to see you try.

I have a feeling you're just trying to stir the pot but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Convince me that Peyton Manning, when healthy, is not the (or even one of the top 10) best players in the league. Make a cogent argument and I will objectively consider it. Like I said, I can't imagine that you'll pull this off but I'll reserve judgment until I've reviewed your supporting evidence.

1. Aaron Rogers - Best QB in the game today

2. Sue (defensive player from Lions) - is a game changer, and young

3. Tom Brady - Showed last night can do alot with not much

4. Calvin Johnson - Can score at will and is young

5. Frank Gore - Runs and catches

6. Drew Brees - maybe 2nd best QB playing today

7. Clay Mathews - domintates and dictates how offense have to play

8. Ben Rothensberg - Big mobil and nows how to win

9. Andre Johnson - Probably best overall best WR in game

10. D. Revis - Can make offense inept

If I could take any player to start my team I would pick any of these 10 before I take Manning at this point. Not based off of his overall career, but at this point even if Manning is 100%. Peyton Manning is not young and will not improve over the coming seasons. Manning is a great QB, but again if you had the first pick of any player in teh league to build your new frachise around I don't see how you would take Peyton over these 10.

If I could take any player to start my team I would pick any of these 10 before I take Manning at this point. Not based off of his overall career, but at this point even if Manning is 100%. Peyton Manning is not young and will not improve over the coming seasons. Manning is a great QB, but again if you had the first pick of any player in teh league to build your new frachise around I don't see how you would take Peyton over these 10.

Nicely done but still very much based on little more than your personal opinion. The fact remains that, head-to-head, Manning has beaten all of the defensive players you've listed. In addition, he has consistently outperformed every QB you've listed (some as recently as last season). A great WR is nice to have but how good would Calvin Johnson be if he had, say, Curtis Painter, throwing him the ball. How anyone can look at the 0-10 Colts and underestimate the value of Peyton Manning is beyond me. Don't forget that he took, for the most part, this same team to the playoffs last year and, more than likely, would have done so again this season. That's a QB that knows how to win!

Appreciate the thorough reply but I'm still unconvinced.

Ok so this looks like our situation with Manning...

I am starting to think that we either dont pay him the 28 million and let him go to FA because we are set on drafting Luck, OR we do pick up the option and then trade him after he reworks his deal to make it able to trade cost efficiently.

If his health is still a concern, I could see the first option more likely since he may just retire.

If we end up saving all that money, my question is this...Do we reload and bring in some bigger name FAs since we will save a ton from letting Manning go and probably reworking Freeney and Clark's deals?

Ok so this looks like our situation with Manning...

I am starting to think that we either dont pay him the 28 million and let him go to FA because we are set on drafting Luck, OR we do pick up the option and then trade him after he reworks his deal to make it able to trade cost efficiently.

If his health is still a concern, I could see the first option more likely since he may just retire.

If we end up saving all that money, my question is this...Do we reload and bring in some bigger name FAs since we will save a ton from letting Manning go and probably reworking Freeney and Clark's deals?

OR we do pick up the option and then trade him after he reworks his deal to make it able to trade cost efficiently.

Picking up the option would make him even harder to trade!. Makes his accelerated cap hit even higher..... He's not going to be traded.

Peyton can always over-rule "re-write" the contract. Peyton is willing to do whatever is best for the team.

They weren't going to trade him anyways.

Irsay already said his ideal situation would be to draft Luck and have him sit behind Peyton. If Peyton re-injures his neck then you have a young QB waiting on the sideline to come in.

But Irsay is crazy, remember? At least, that's what everyone will say when it's convenient to their viewpoint. It's not the ideal situation for the Colts. Luck sitting behind Peyton is pointless, because Peyton's job isn't to teach him anything. His job is to win Super Bowls. Not only that, but just because Luck is 'smart' doesn't mean he's stupid. An NFL career can be over at any moment. He wants to forge a legacy and make as much money as possible. Those opportunities won't be there if he's riding the pine. And no...

Good, now we can have our immediate future with PM, and then our longterm future with Luck. It's the best of both worlds, we get our star QB back and our future is set. It's good that we can't trade PM

He isn't the future, or our star of the future. He is nothing but a college QB at this point. Peyton is a sure thing, because he's proven as much. Luck has proven he can't beat elite teams in college when the tv cameras are on.

But Irsay is crazy, remember? At least, that's what everyone will say when it's convenient to their viewpoint. It's not the ideal situation for the Colts. Luck sitting behind Peyton is pointless, because Peyton's job isn't to teach him anything. His job is to win Super Bowls. Not only that, but just because Luck is 'smart' doesn't mean he's stupid. An NFL career can be over at any moment. He wants to forge a legacy and make as much money as possible. Those opportunities won't be there if he's riding the pine. And no...

He isn't the future, or our star of the future. He is nothing but a college QB at this point. Peyton is a sure thing, because he's proven as much. Luck has proven he can't beat elite teams in college when the tv cameras are on.

Didn't Luck win the Orange Bowl last year and beat USC in come from behind fashion the week before this game. Also if I recall they used to say another QB couldn't win the big one in college and I think his NFL career turned out okay...