Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's talk Eric Thomas

Nobody

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid me. How dare I suggest that an unproven talent in the NFL is guaranteed to be successful. I bow to your collective genius. What was I thinking.

Where did anyone guarantee his success? I said he's a lock to make the roster, not the Hall of Fame.

P.S. He'll probably make the Hall of Fame, though.

Stupid me. How dare I suggest that an unproven talent in the NFL is guaranteed to be successful. I bow to your collective genius. What was I thinking.

Not trying to provoke this but you made me do a little research.

I wanted to see how many 3rd round indianapolis Colts draft picks didn't make the team.

Should I post it or let people guess?

I'll let you 2 dook this out, but there is a difference between a long term lock and lock to be on the roster this year as a rookie.  

You indicate that Moncrief isn't a lock to make this roster from what I can tell.  I can't remember the last 3rd rounder that got cut his rookie year by any team.  I'm sure it's happenned, but its a lock that Moncrief makes our final 53.

I heard a GM, or former GM (can't remember) mention that a UDFA can't be a little better than a player that was drafted, but has to prove significantly better. They have too much invested in the draft pick to chance a little known and less scouted UDFA take the spot. IME, Moncrief doesn't have to earn a spot on the roster, but if careless, could cost himself a spot on the roster.

3 plays showed twice mixed with him running down the field with his arms crossed and chest puffed afterwards lol? Isnt exactly a highlight reel but thanks for sharing. Just give me somebody with Marvin Harrison`s "ive been here before" and flip the ball to the ref please 

I don't see Rogers Brazil or Whalen as locks . I know everyone loves Rogers he has the physical tools but was very raw ran bad routes and sometimes the wrong one missed easy catches , Brazil had a few big plays but hasn't proved to be consistent plus he failed 2 drug tests , Whalen has been pretty solid moving the chains and in returns . Not saying Thomas is going to get a spot on the 53 but if someone really showed up in OTAs and in preseason it wouldn't surprise me at all if the made the team .

Showing each highlight twice is annoying, other than that, yeah, wow!

So why did he go undrafted? I live in Bama and don't remember this kid. And I have friends who are Troy grads. He has decent measurables and I couldn't find anything off the field bad about him.

His biggest issue is that WR is probably our deepest position. PS?

I agree. After watching the tape he seems to have the ability to become a good player. I see a potential kick returner for sure. His cut back and strait arm ability may make him a keeper.

Mmmmmmm.

Wayne. Old, injured.

Hilton. Check.

Nicks. Injury prone.

Brazil. Not done much yet.

Rodgers. Rookie. Baggage.

Whalen. Not done much yet.

A lot of wishful thinking going on here.

I am kind of on your side on this debate. I am not so sure our WRs are as deep as advertised. Wayne is getting long in the tooth and we never know how he will response to a knee injury. Hilton is a given. Nicks has the talent but does he have the heart and work ethnics after injury? Brazil, as you say, a couple of good plays does not make it a lock to be a good starter. Rogers? Haven't seen enough to make a determination. Whalen has looked very good but don't seem to get the playing time. Is there a reason? Hopefully a couple of these guys can step up during pre-season. Moncrief is a rookie and most of the time it takes a while for them to adjust.

3 plays showed twice mixed with him running down the field with his arms crossed and chest puffed afterwards lol? Isnt exactly a highlight reel but thanks for sharing. Just give me somebody with Marvin Harrison`s "ive been here before" and flip the ball to the ref please 

The kid wasn't even drafted and you want him to be a "Marvin Harrison" type of player? No where did I read even a suggestion he was a HOF player or would make the roster. His actions are no different than 90% of the receivers we see in the NFL, college, arena and Canadian leagues. Harrison was one of a kind but not all receivers are not prone to avoid the media. Most crave it. I am not for over celebrating but these players are not robots either.

Maybe he likes video games.

This all started because someone said we have 'sooooooooooo many good receivers'. Why we are even debating this now is silly. But please, all just pile on.

I don't think anyone is trying to pile on, we're just trying to point out that it's extremely rare for a third round pick to be dropped. I did a quick check and the only one I could find in the history of the Indy Colts was Sweat Pea Burns. Tragically, another 3rd rounder was killed in a car accident prior to camp.

I think everyone would agree with you that our WRs all (except TY) have a question mark. The dreaded "IF" is associated with all the others.

Maybe he likes video games.

This all started because someone said we have 'sooooooooooo many good receivers'. Why we are even debating this now is silly. But please, all just pile on.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think the only issue here is you're a "glass half empty" guy when it comes to the receivers. You assume Reggie won't be as good this season, you assume Nicks is going to get hurt again, you assume Rogers and Brazill won't develop whatsoever, you assume Moncrief isn't a going to be a factor this year, and you assume everyone else feels exactly the same. That's not the case, however. I think we're fine at receiver, even with all the question marks, and I'd bet money that at least 2/3rds of the leagues starting QB's right now would take our receiving group over their own, if given the chance. Especially when you factor in Allen and Fleener.

You're right though, the argument is a silly one. But you seemed to be the main instigator, from everything I've read in here. Bottom line, the sum of our receiving corps is probably the unit with the least amount of question marks on the team (outside of QB) Short of trading for Megatron, I honestly don't know what else our fans want to address that unit any further. It's silly that people are even still voicing concern over it at this point. I'm more worried about who our starting safety is going to be THIS year, not who our future number 1 and 2 receivers will be 3 years from now

I don't think anyone is trying to pile on, we're just trying to point out that it's extremely rare for a third round pick to be dropped. I did a quick check and the only one I could find in the history of the Indy Colts was Sweat Pea Burns. Tragically, another 3rd rounder was killed in a car accident prior to camp.

I think everyone would agree with you that our WRs all (except TY) have a question mark. The dreaded "IF" is associated with all the others.

My point was that missing off Moncrief from the list of 'sooooooooo good' receivers was pretty unimportant. Quinn Pitcock was a 3rd rounder, but this is all irrelevant.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think the only issue here is you're a "glass half empty" guy when it comes to the receivers. You assume Reggie won't be as good this season, you assume Nicks is going to get hurt again, you assume Rogers and Brazill won't develop whatsoever, you assume Moncrief isn't a going to be a factor this year, and you assume everyone else feels exactly the same. That's not the case, however. I think we're fine at receiver, even with all the question marks, and I'd bet money that at least 2/3rds of the leagues starting QB's right now would take our receiving group over their own, if given the chance. Especially when you factor in Allen and Fleener.

You're right though, the argument is a silly one. But you seemed to be the main instigator, from everything I've read in here. Bottom line, the sum of our receiving corps is probably the unit with the least amount of question marks on the team (outside of QB) Short of trading for Megatron, I honestly don't know what else our fans want to address that unit any further. It's silly that people are even still voicing concern over it at this point. I'm more worried about who our starting safety is going to be THIS year, not who our future number 1 and 2 receivers will be 3 years from now

I'm as hopeful about our receivers as most, I just cannot get that confident that all our receivers are so good. Nothing more, nothing less.

My point was that missing off Moncrief from the list of 'sooooooooo good' receivers was pretty unimportant. Quinn Pitcock was a 3rd rounder, but this is all irrelevant.

Got it. Not trying to argue. I agree that none of us know if Moncrief, or any WR with no experience, is going to be any good until we see them play.

BTW, Pitcock played one year and wasn't cut. He "retired".

I'm as hopeful about our receivers as most, I just cannot get that confident that all our receivers are so good. Nothing more, nothing less.

I mean, sure there's question marks...but there's also just as many options. We're pretty deep at receiver, even if Reggie isn't the same anymore. I think, worst case scenario, he becomes our 3rd best receiver (kinda like Marvin after his injury) but is still a solid chain mover. I think Nicks and Hilton will be the main guys going forward. Rogers has tons of potential and Brazill is a serviceable 3rd receiver and is great 4th receiver. His value only goes up the deeper he's buried on the depth chart. I think Brazill and Rogers could beat most team's nickle and dime corners pretty consistently, and also have the capability of filling in at the 2nd and 3rd receiver spots, in a pinch. I think we'll be comparable to Greenbay's receiving corps, in that we have 4-5 'really good' receivers but not one 'great' receiver. That's a good thing, IMO.  It keeps defenses off-balance, as they can't key in on any one particular target the whole game 

Got it. Not trying to argue. I agree that none of us know if Moncrief, or any WR with no experience, is going to be any good until we see them play.

BTW, Pitcock played one year and wasn't cut. He "retired".

He was a bust, irrespective of the reason. That was the point I was trying to make. Badly it would appear! No sweat though.

He was a bust, irrespective of the reason. That was the point I was trying to make. Badly it would appear! No sweat though.

Oh yeah, we've had a lot of third round busts. But I think only one got cut before playing a down.

Peace!

Mmmmmmm.

Wayne. Old, injured.

Hilton. Check.

Nicks. Injury prone.

Brazil. Not done much yet.

Rodgers. Rookie. Baggage.

Whalen. Not done much yet.

A lot of wishful thinking going on here.

Let me fix this for you.

Wayne, old but a 1000 yard rec & SB champion a true master

Hilton, young 1000 WR yard rec

Nicks, not old, injury concerns: yes, 1000 yard rec & SB champion

Donte Moncrief: Considered steal of the draft by some, athletic freak, monumental potential

Da'Rick Rogers: big play potential, basket case but athletic freak

Whalen & Brazil: Solid temp fillers

Sure as heck looks solid to me.. Factor in Fleener and Allen = WOW!! Where ET fits in, unknown. Barring injuries this is a top WR core, IMO.........

ET had some flaw in his game or he would have been drafted

He is going to need a monster camp to stick with the Colts

Thomas has an advantage over all those guys he is the only one who is eligible for the practice squad Brazil Rogers Whalen have to make the 53 man roster or they are gone. We can stash Thomas and I know Moncrief is eligible too but not realistically

Thomas has an advantage over all those guys he is the only one who is eligible for the practice squad Brazil Rogers Whalen have to make the 53 man roster or they are gone. We can stash Thomas and I know Moncrief is eligible too but not realistically

I don't think he will make it to and/or stay on the PS but be picked upped by a WR needy squad

I don't think he will make it to and/or stay on the PS but be picked upped by a WR needy squad

Your probably right too bad looked good in the highlights but again there was a reason he was looked over and we got him. It will be a wild training camp at WR that is for sure. Your right someone will probably snatch him off the PS god we could end up feeding other teams 3 WR's and get nothing back

Your probably right too bad looked good in the highlights but again there was a reason he was looked over and we got him. It will be a wild training camp at WR that is for sure. Your right someone will probably snatch him off the PS god we could end up feeding other teams 3 WR's and get nothing back

Every starting WR in college is going to have highlights.

They don't show how well he can learn a playbook, run a route, achieve separation against NFL defenders, block... Generally play the game.

This guy may make the team, make the PS, or be another NaPalm, Sambrano, or a half dozen others we've had in camp.

I'm not too worried about losing him just yet.

agreed

To your point, its even rarer than that.  Burns was not cut as a rookie.  He never amounted to much, like many 3rd rounders but he was here a few years.

To your point, its even rarer than that.  Burns was not cut as a rookie.  He never amounted to much, like many 3rd rounders but he was here a few years.

Wow, you're right. I remember how disappointed I was in him, I must have blocked his "career" out of my mind.

So, except for the young man who was killed, has any 3rd rounder not at least made the team (Indy)?

Wow, you're right. I remember how disappointed I was in him, I must have blocked his "career" out of my mind.

So, except for the young man who was killed, has any 3rd rounder not at least made the team (Indy)?

None that I can think of.  It would have to be pre 1990.

Every starting WR in college is going to have highlights.

They don't show how well he can learn a playbook, run a route, achieve separation against NFL defenders, block... Generally play the game.

This guy may make the team, make the PS, or be another NaPalm, Sambrano, or a half dozen others we've had in camp.

I'm not too worried about losing him just yet.

I have done some research tape and write ups and your right you never know until they take the field but he from what I have seen and read I am betting he makes it somewhere.

The kid wasn't even drafted and you want him to be a "Marvin Harrison" type of player? No where did I read even a suggestion he was a HOF player or would make the roster. His actions are no different than 90% of the receivers we see in the NFL, college, arena and Canadian leagues. Harrison was one of a kind but not all receivers are not prone to avoid the media. Most crave it. I am not for over celebrating but these players are not robots either.

I watched the tape. That was the 1st thing that jumped out from it, I had an opinion. I stated my opinion, you didn't like it so what? Never said he was a HOFer. Never said he was Marvin Harrison or craved the media. You like the showboating, good for you. I don't. I prefer the Colts or potential Colts showing some class. Its a forum, its an opinion...

I watched the tape. That was the 1st thing that jumped out from it, I had an opinion. I stated my opinion, you didn't like it so what? Never said he was a HOFer. Never said he was Marvin Harrison or craved the media. You like the showboating, good for you. I don't. I prefer the Colts or potential Colts showing some class. Its a forum, its an opinion...

His actions were the first thing that jumped out in your eyes. I watched the play and let it speak for itself. My opinion was you were so busy watching what you call showboating actions you overlooked the talent he showed on the play. You never mentioned a word about his talent, just his action you thought were not classy. This young player was only acting like the larger majority of skilled players act after scoring a TD. If you have a problem with what this kid did then you must be pretty miserable watching football in general because I see those actions in every NFL game. And that is just my opinion. When you make a comment do you expect a response? Not all of them will be to your liking.

His actions were the first thing that jumped out in your eyes. I watched the play and let it speak for itself. My opinion was you were so busy watching what you call showboating actions you overlooked the talent he showed on the play. You never mentioned a word about his talent, just his action you thought were not classy. This young player was only acting like the larger majority of skilled players act after scoring a TD. If you have a problem with what this kid did then you must be pretty miserable watching football in general because I see those actions in every NFL game. And that is just my opinion. When you make a comment do you expect a response? Not all of them will be to your liking.

Yep just drooling in misery watching NFL football lol that's a good one. Just because "everybody" does it doesn't make it right. I prefer the players that don`t. We agree to disagree. Most times you either love players like that or you don`t, and that's in any sport. Fans aren't "robots" either, to each his own. They were good catches, especially the one handed Dallas Clark style like he was serving a platter. Awsome. But then he acted the fool lol.. again..my opinion