Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

andrew luck and kobe bryant commercial

CR91

It is interesting to have two famous sports figures, from two different sports, come together and advertise a third sport.

Soccer is certainly getting bigger in my neck of the woods. My 6 old wants to play, and I have to admit that I don't really know the rules to it, so it is something I will be learning soon.

It is interesting to have two famous sports figures, from two different sports, come together and advertise a third sport.

Soccer is certainly getting bigger in my neck of the woods. My 6 old wants to play, and I have to admit that I don't really know the rules to it, so it is something I will be learning soon.

well soccer isnt foreign to neither andrew or kobe. their both from europe

well soccer isnt foreign to neither andrew or kobe. their both from europe

I am sure everyone gets that point of the commercial. 

Andrew loves soccer and has talked about it several times in various interviews. 

Just as he is bringing American Football to Europe, he is also supporting soccer in the States. I am ok with that, and I find it interesting. Like I said, soccer is getting big in my neck of the woods. 

That's a very interesting commercial..

They're basically asking American fans to buy into soccer..something that's never occurred to any great extent..

NBC and ESPN are doing the same ..by running scores and airing Sunday morning games...

.....I think its demand and supply...

The supply of socce r is there....American Sports media needs to create the demand

They're basically asking American fans to buy into soccer..something that's never occurred to any great extent..

NBC and ESPN are doing the same ..by running scores and airing Sunday morning games...

The supply of socce r is there....American Sports media needs to create the demand

I agree. I have received several soccer push's from ESPN over the past few months, due to signing up for breaking news.

Personally, I don't see it happening here.  They've been trying to get the USA interested for decades now.  Starting with the young kids, with the hope they'll grow up being soccer fans.  Just hasn't happened.

I won't say never, but not anytime soon. 

Personally, I don't see it happening here.  They've been trying to get the USA interested for decades now.  Starting with the young kids, with the hope they'll grow up being soccer fans.  Just hasn't happened.

My hometown of Evansville, just built a new soccer park, and they are popping up all over the country. I heard that Westfield just invested 200 million on a new soccer/baseball complex north Carmel, IN. To put that into perspective, the cost to build Lucas Oil Stadium was around 700-800 million. 

My hometown of Evansville, just built a new soccer park, and they are popping up all over the country. I heard that Westfield just invested 200 million on a new soccer/baseball complex north Carmel, IN. To put that into perspective, the cost to build Lucas Oil Stadium was around 700-800 million. 

I think you will see several high schools in the coming years stop supporting football because of the expenses in insurance etc and elect to push more boys soccer. Its a beautiful sport.....sadly what we get over here with MLS...is such poor quality that its hard to sell soccer here. I'd equate it to the level of a intermural basketball vs division 1 basketball. Sure there is some talent...but as a whole its not pretty...not fun to watch...and lacks star power. I love the weekends when Premier league games are on around noon or so....and the best sports environment I've ever been in was visiting England and seeing Man U. VS Chelsea. Its not even close...NFL/NBA/college football can't compare. The days leading up in the pubs was great too. I don't really drink a lot but over there its like a social hangout to eat etc..and it was interesting when the visiter from another team would come in...lol. I would hope it catches on here. I can only dream one day of seeing our national team win something someday lol. Considering all our best atheletes get forced into basketball and football it would be nice to see some get directed into soccer.

I'm 57 years old....   I remember in my early teens,  the early 70's,  being told Soccer was going to be huge in America someday....

Now....  nearly 45 years later.....   still waiting.      Still waiting for soccer to break through in this country.

I can't get enough football, and neither can most Americans.     I love basketball,  and so do many Americans.   I love baseball, and so do most Americans.     I can even tolerate hockey, and so can a growing number of Americans.

But soccer?      

Still waiting.................   (Yawn....)  

Andrew Nooooo!!!!!

He's gonna make you injury prone, stay away from him!!!!!!!!

:reaction:

Your joking right? This is the dude we want Andrew luck to be like, a champion and one if the most clutch players to ever play, and your not injury prone when you get an injury at the end of your career

I guess the whole Panini sticker album thing isn't big in the US, but even now as grown men when it comes to World Cup time I'll get the album and try to collect the stickers before it finishes, on two rare occasions I've managed to complete them. Waste of money, yup.... childish, yup......some of the best fun 30+ year old men will have in their working day, yup :P

"Got,got,got,got,swap,got,got,got,swap". 

I bet Luck collected Panini stickers back in the day :P

Soccer is the #1 watched sports watched in the world. The US has been slow in catching up that's for sure. We get bent out of shape when some football fans get unruly. I don't think we could handle the crazy passion that soccer fans show. :woah:

Oh when it's a wet Wednesday night and you've driven 4 hours to stand in a tiny ground without a roof while you're soaked to skin you become quite easy to pacify. Forget riot police, send in the tea ladies!

Soccer is the #1 watched sports watched in the world. The US has been slow in catching up that's for sure. We get bent out of shape when some football fans get unruly. I don't think we could handle the crazy passion that soccer fans show. :woah:

When someone says that I always say that rice is the most popular food in the world, and more people live in cardboard or stucco huts than air conditioned homes.

I understand what you're saying, but I still don't think we'll catch up as long as a majority of our population is born here.  Not trying to be a snob or elitist, just stating my opinion.

I'm not from Indiana, and have no reason to doubt you.  But $200M for a non- pro facility?  I'd like to see where that's documented.

I agree that soccer is very popular among the kids.  It's a cheap game, and relatively safe.  But how many of those grow up to be fans?  I know mine didn't.

I still say it's years away.  No regularly scheduled network matches is kind of a good proof.  Heck, hockey can't even get a network contract.

The only way it happens is, in Jurgen Klinsmann's words, is that there is a grassroots movement of kids getting free access to play soccer on fields. If the sample pool of talent has to be driven to the soccer fields with fees paid constantly, that already limits the number of kids being able to take up soccer, IMO. Make soccer fields around the nation and let the kids play for free. You will see a grassroots increase in interest and increase in talent pool too over the years.

I think you will see several high schools in the coming years stop supporting football because of the expenses in insurance etc and elect to push more boys soccer. Its a beautiful sport.....sadly what we get over here with MLS...is such poor quality that its hard to sell soccer here. I'd equate it to the level of a intermural basketball vs division 1 basketball. Sure there is some talent...but as a whole its not pretty...not fun to watch...and lacks star power. I love the weekends when Premier league games are on around noon or so....and the best sports environment I've ever been in was visiting England and seeing Man U. VS Chelsea. Its not even close...NFL/NBA/college football can't compare. The days leading up in the pubs was great too. I don't really drink a lot but over there its like a social hangout to eat etc..and it was interesting when the visiter from another team would come in...lol. I would hope it catches on here. I can only dream one day of seeing our national team win something someday lol. Considering all our best atheletes get forced into basketball and football it would be nice to see some get directed into soccer.

I am looking forward to learning about the sport and I agree that we will likely see more kids want to play soccer for the factors you name. My 6 year old son starts soon and it should be fun. I will officially be a parent in the stands who doesn't know Jack! :)

The only way it happens is, in Jurgen Klinsmann's words, is that there is a grassroots movement of kids getting free access to play soccer on fields. If the sample pool of talent has to be driven to the soccer fields with fees paid constantly, that already limits the number of kids being able to take up soccer, IMO. Make soccer fields around the nation and let the kids play for free. You will see a grassroots increase in interest and increase in talent pool too over the years.

I'm not sure what it's like where you're at, but in Bama it seems like every kid plays soccer at some level.  Like I said earlier, it's a cheap sport to outfit.  The fees are very reasonable and I'd say more kids are playing soccer (boys and girls) than playing baseball, basketall, or football.  This has been going on for decades.

And, as far as I can tell, it hasn't made a difference.  IMO, that's pretty much the universal status across the country.  Tell me if I'm wrong in your area. 

Except for the World Cup, I bet the ratings for any soccer match on TV is worse than pro bowling.  MLS attendance is probably about the same as high school basketball or maybe small college.  I just don't see it picking up anytime soon in this country.

I'm not from Indiana, and have no reason to doubt you.  But $200M for a non- pro facility?  I'd like to see where that's documented.

I agree that soccer is very popular among the kids.  It's a cheap game, and relatively safe.  But how many of those grow up to be fans?  I know mine didn't.

I still say it's years away.  No regularly scheduled network matches is kind of a good proof.  Heck, hockey can't even get a network contract.

You may be correct as far as years for the game to develop are concerned. I am sure there is someone on this forum who can either validate what I have heard or correct me if what I heard is wrong. A person I work with took his kid to play there a few weeks ago and told me about the 200 million dollar price tag on the complex north of Carmel.

I am looking forward to learning about the sport and I agree that we will likely see more kids want to play soccer for the factors you name. My 6 year old son starts soon and it should be fun. I will officially be a parent in the stands who doesn't know Jack! :)

there are some places on the internet that can teach u the rules and basics of the game. At that age it's just starting to get organized. I'm sure teaching your kid the basics of ball control and passing will give them a leg up. Have fun!

You may be correct as far as years for the game to develop are concerned. I am sure there is someone on this forum who can either validate what I have heard or correct me if what I heard is wrong. A person I work with took his kid to play there a few weeks ago and told me about the 200 million dollar price tag on the complex north of Carmel.

Its far more than a soccer complex. But its going to be awesome

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCkQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibj.com%2F225m-westfield-project-in-works%2FPARAMS%2Farticle%2F41547&rct=j&q=grand%20park%20westfield%20cost&ei=g656U_z1N8KvyATTuYGYAg&usg=AFQjCNG2jkekS2J0ZVm0U67tXULonZHpug&sig2=cxMmsAaBOURZlnvQWrsbtQ&bvm=bv.67229260,d.aWw

I heard from a coworker baseball is played there too, and you may have missed the post where I said that. I heard it is massive and they also play soccer there.

I heard from a coworker baseball is played there too, and you may have missed the post where I said that. I heard it is massive and they also play soccer there.

its also a boardwalk with a ferris wheel, restaurants and a shopping center

Your joking right? This is the dude we want Andrew luck to be like, a champion and one if the most clutch players to ever play, and your not injury prone when you get an injury at the end of your career

It's one of the great myths in sports that Kobe is a great clutch player. On SPV and Russillo (espn radio) they did a breakdown of some players in the final 5 minutes of close playoff games.....and Kobe was HORRIBLE. I always thought his "clutch was" was overrated, but man, he stunk.

Be careful....I remember reading somewhere that youth soccer caused more concussions than football. That may have been girls youth soccer, cant remember.

wow, 25 baseball diamonds and 30 football pitches, that's a lot..

but if i read correctly, it's going to be a high-end housing neighborhood, not sure how the "general population" will have access to all of that..  

I find soccer to be a sport where the physical playing field to be much more even among growing kids as they develop. For that alone, I like it a great deal. You dont have to be 6'+ and have blinding speed....or be 300 pounds to get signed....or take HGH to get there.

Hard for soccer to compete, especially now that MLB and the NFL have ensured a style of league that promotes offense.